Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Point of This




My workcenter put the "G" in CG-28 but I cannot recall the commanding officer ever inside my compartments. Captain Chandler knew me well though, as I was his phone-talker on the ship's bridge during the Special Sea and Anchor Details. But I cannot recall him ever once visiting Missile Plot.

Most stressful job I ever had before when I started working there on my second ship and I had worked countless hours before on the bridge of my first ship.












110816_a_svwlf_time-unsynchd_ (1981).jpg










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=40019

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Interview With Walter Cronkite of CBS News in Normandy, France

June 6, 1984

Mr. Cronkite. Mr. President, it's quite a day out here. We're observing the fact that American soldiers can do the impossible as represented here at Pointe du Hoc when they're commanded to, but, on the other hand, at a terrible cost, isn't it?










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4687880/releaseinfo

IMDb


Goliath (2016– )

Release Info

USA 14 October 2016



http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=goliath-2016&episode=s01e05

Springfield! Springfield!


Goliath

Line of Fire


He got the admiration and affection, and you got fear.
More.
And he mocked you.
He still mocks you.










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=goliath-2016&episode=s01e05

Springfield! Springfield!


Goliath

Line of Fire


[video off]

You didn't have to go that far.

Yeah. I did. So now what?

I'll take it from here. Listen, I I'm real sorry that I had you even doing this shit.

Oh, hey. I'm a pro.










From 7/26/1947 ( the United States National Security Act of 1947 ) To 6/6/1984 ( Ronald Reagan - Interview With Walter Cronkite of CBS News in Normandy, France ) is 13465 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/14/2002 is 13465 days



[ See also: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2016/09/oradour-sur-glane.html ]
[ See also: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2016/11/point-of-this.html ]


http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20020917&slug=dige17m

The Seattle Times


Tuesday, September 17, 2002

Local Digest

Gates family adds baby girl

SEATTLE — Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates and his wife, Melinda, are parents for the third time.

Phoebe Adelle Gates was born Saturday at Overlake Hospital Medical Center in Bellevue.












https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0735089,-115.9571734,3a,75y,134.03h,84.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srGVByJ34kPutauAIc9K0WA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Google Maps


10171 Homestead Rd

Pahrump, Nevada










https://www.cia.gov/news-information/blog/2014/histint-the-national-security-act-of-1947.html

CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA


Posted: Jul 24, 2014 11:10 AM

Last Updated: Jul 24, 2014 11:52 AM


#HISTINT: The National Security Act of 1947

On July 26, 1947, President Harry S. Truman signed the National Security Act of 1947












DSC00599.jpg







DSC00799.jpg







DSC00848.jpg










http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20780-2004Jun6.html

The Washington Post


At 40th D-Day Tribute, Reagan Took the Occasion by Storm

By Lou Cannon

Washington Post Staff Writer

Monday, June 7, 2004; Page A06

SUMMERLAND, Calif., June 6 -- Twenty years ago, on the 40th anniversary of D-Day, Ronald Reagan took Normandy by storm.

In the highlight of a series of made-for-television appearances that were emblematic of his theatrical presidency, Reagan gave an elegiac speech at Pointe du Hoc, where U.S. Army Rangers had scaled a 130-foot knife-shaped cliff with grappling hooks and ladders borrowed from the London Fire Department.

Speaking to moist-eyed veterans of this daring achievement before a stone memorial that honored them, Reagan said: "Behind me is a memorial that symbolizes the Ranger daggers that were thrust into the top of these cliffs. And before me are the men who put them there. These are the boys of Pointe du Hoc. These are the men who took the cliffs. These are the champions who helped free a continent. These are the heroes who helped end a war."

Later that day Reagan and his wife, Nancy, toured the Normandy American Cemetery, where white crosses and Stars of David mark the graves of 9,386 U.S. servicemen who died in the Allied invasion of France and its aftermath. He gave another evocative speech at Omaha Beach, reading from the letter of the daughter of a veteran who had survived the assault. Fulfilling a promise to her father, she had returned that day to put flowers on the graves.

Reagan's performance in Normandy demonstrated the timing, dramatic sense and attention to detail for which the White House staff was famous during his presidency. The French, as hosts of the commemorative events, had wanted Reagan to be welcomed by President Francois Mitterrand before he gave a speech on French soil. But this would have delayed the event until after the morning television shows, conceding them to coverage of the Democratic presidential primary in California on June 5. White House Deputy Chief of Staff Michael Deaver, the maestro of the D-Day production, called in the French ambassador and reminded him that Mitterrand had been warmly received by the president in Washington earlier that year. The French moved up the ceremony to accommodate the U.S. timing.

The power of Reagan's performance was on display this weekend in television specials across the nation that paid tribute to the 40th president, who died Saturday at 93. Clips from the Pointe du Hoc speech, written by Peggy Noonan, decorated many of these programs. President Bush, tracing similar ground in Normandy at a time when the United States is engaged in a conflict in Iraq, was eclipsed by recollections of Reagan's celebratory visit. Nor did his staff find the French as accommodating as they were two decades ago. Bush's commemorative D-Day speech was aired in the United States in the middle of the night.

Reagan's speeches in Normandy, part of a 10-day trip that included a sentimental visit to his ancestral home of Ballyporeen, Ireland, and an economic summit in London, were more than good theater. They were pivotal for him politically in a reelection year that had begun badly. The economy was booming after a severe recession as the ever-optimistic Reagan had predicted, but no one knew how long it would last. In February, under pressure from the public and his defense secretary, Reagan had withdrawn U.S. troops from Lebanon, where, on October 23, 1983, 241 sleeping U.S. servicemen, most of them Marines, were killed by a suicide bomber who drove an explosives-laden truck into a Marine headquarters building in Beirut.

Memory of the Lebanon disaster, which Reagan called "the saddest day of my presidency, the saddest day of my life," was partly diminished by the successful invasion of Grenada after a group of renegades killed the Marxist premier and caused a crisis in the Caribbean. After U.S. troops were withdrawn from Lebanon, the White House embarked on an ambitious political campaign to celebrate national achievements at home and abroad. In April, Reagan visited China, where he extolled the merits of freedom.

Some of Reagan's adversaries derided his foreign forays as empty symbolism. Reagan and his staff were unfazed. Although Reagan denied in an interview with Irish television that he was visiting his ancestral homeland for political purposes, his chief of staff, James A. Baker III, had no difficulty in acknowledging the political component. "We have a bilateral relationship with an important ally, and there are 40 million Americans of Irish descent," Baker said. "Why should we apologize for this symbolism?"

In fact, as Baker also insisted, Reagan's trip was substantive as well as symbolic. Although Reagan blamed the Soviet Union for world tensions in a speech in Galway, his speech at Pointe du Hoc took note of the immense Soviet contribution to the defeat of Nazi Germany. He said that the "terrible price" paid by the Russian people in World War II testified to the necessity of avoiding war. "In truth, there is no reconciliation we would welcome more than a reconciliation with the Soviet Union, so together we can lessen the risks of war, now and forever," Reagan said.

This passage foreshadowed the U.S.-Soviet summitry on which Reagan would embark the next year after Mikhail Gorbachev became the Soviet leader. Another foreshadowing occurred the next day, June 7, 1984, in London, where the Soviets quietly informed U.S. officials that Soviet dissident Andrei Sakharov was alive and well. Two days later the seven industrial democracies patched up political differences, and issued a declaration opposing international terrorism and expressing "solidarity and resolve" in dealing with the Soviet Union.

Reagan's performances on the world stage, especially in Normandy, contributed to his "Morning Again in America" reelection campaign, which in dreamy television commercials made effective use of his D-Day and other foreign speeches. "In retrospect the election was over by June 6," Michael Barone wrote in "Our Country: The Shaping of America From Roosevelt to Reagan." Reagan, who trailed Democrat Walter F. Mondale in the polls early in 1984, won every jurisdiction except Minnesota and the District of Columbia in one of the most monumental political landslides in history.

The makings of that landslide were evident in Reagan's soaring speech at Pointe du Hoc.










http://www.azlyrics.com/e/edwardsharpeandthemagneticzeros.html

AZ

EDWARD SHARPE AND THE MAGNETIC ZEROS

album: "Up From Below" (2009)


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/edwardsharpeandthemagneticzeros/home.html

AZ

EDWARD SHARPE AND THE MAGNETIC ZEROS

"Home"

Alabama, Arkansas,
I do love my Ma and Pa
Not the way that I do love you

Well, holy moly me oh my
You’re the apple of my eye
Girl, I've never loved one like you

Man, oh, man, you're my best friend
I scream it to the nothingness
There ain't nothing that I need

Well, hot and heavy pumpkin pie
Chocolate candy, Jesus Christ
Ain't nothing please me more than you

[Chorus:]
Home, let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you
Home, let me come home
Home is wherever I'm with you

La la la la
Take me home
Mama, I'm coming home

I'll follow you into the park,
Through the jungle, through the dark
Girl, I've never loved one like you

Moats and boats, and waterfalls,
Alleyways, and payphone calls
I been everywhere with you (that's true)

Laugh until we think we'll die,
Barefoot on a summer night
Never could be sweeter than with you

And in the streets you run afree,
Like it's only you and me,
Geez, you're something to see.

[Chorus]

La la la la
Take me home
Mama, I'm coming home

Jade?
Alexander?
Do you remember that day you fell outta my window?
I sure do - you came jumping out after me.
Well, you fell on the concrete, nearly broke your ass, and you were bleeding all over the place, and I rushed you out to the hospital, you remember that?
Yes, I do.
Well, there's something I never told you about that night.
What didn't you tell me?
Well, while you were sitting in the back seat smoking a cigarette you thought was gonna be your last, I was falling deep, deeply in love with you, and I never told you 'til just now!

[Chorus]

Home, let me come home,
Home is wherever I'm with you
Our home, yes, I am home,
Home is when I’m alone with you

Alabama, Arkansas,
I do love my Ma and Pa
Moats and boats, and waterfalls,
Alleyways, and payphone calls

Home is when I'm alone with you!
Home is when I’m alone with you



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 01:30 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Wednesday 09 November 2016