Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Christmas 1991




http://www.royal.gov.uk/ImagesandBroadcasts/TheQueensChristmasBroadcasts/ChristmasBroadcasts/ChristmasBroadcast1991.aspx

The official website of The British Monarchy


Christmas Broadcast 1991


In 1952, when I first broadcast to you at Christmas, the world was a very different place to the one we live in today.

Only seven years had passed since the end of the most destructive wars in the history of mankind. Even the end of the hostilities did not bring the true peace for which so many had fought and died. What became known as the 'Cold War' sustained an atmosphere of suspicion, anxiety and fear for many years.

Then, quite suddenly, everything began to change, and the changes have happened with bewildering speed. In 1989 the Berlin Wall came down. Since then the rest of the world has watched, fascinated, as oppressive regimes have crumbled under popular pressure.

One by one, these liberated peoples have taken the first hesitant, and sometimes painful, steps towards open and democratic societies.

Naturally, we welcome this, and it may be that we can help them achieve their aims. But, in doing that, we need to remind ourselves of the essential elements which form the bedrock of our own free way of life - so highly valued and so easily taken for granted.

This can be an opportunity to reflect on our good fortune, and on whether we have anything to offer by way of example to those who have recently broken free of dictatorship. We, who claim to be of the free world, should examine what we really mean by freedom, and how we can help to ensure that, once in place, it is there to stay.

There are all sorts of elements to a free society, but I believe that among the most important is the willingness of ordinary men and women to play a part in the life of their community, rather than confining themselves to their own narrow interests.

The parts they play may not be major ones - indeed they can frequently turn out to be thankless tasks. The wonder is, though, that there are so many who are prepared to devote much of their lives, for no reward, to the service of their fellow men and women.

Without their dedication, where would our churches and charities be, for instance? Without such people, many would be unable to enjoy the pleasure which the arts bring to our daily lives.

Governments can encourage and support, but it is the volunteers who work away for nothing in administration or spend their weekends seeing fair play, who make sport and physical recreation so worthwhile.

I am constantly amazed by the generosity of donors and subscribers, great and small, who give so willingly and often towards the enjoyment of others. Without them these voluntary organisations simply would not exist.

The peoples of the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe have broken the mould of autocracy. I hope that we will be able to help them as they learn that the democracy which has replaced it depends, not on political structures, but on the goodwill and the sense of responsibility of each and every citizen.

It is not, of course, as simple as that. All the selfless voluntary work in the world can be wasted if it disregards the views and aspirations of others. There are any number of reasons to find fault with each other, with our Governments, and with other countries.

But let us not take ourselves too seriously. None of us has a monopoly of wisdom and we must always be ready to listen and respect other points of view.

At the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Zimbabwe this autumn, we saw an example of mutual tolerance and respect for the views of others on an international scale. Leaders of the fifty nations came together to discuss the future.

They met in peace, they talked freely, they listened, they found much on which to agree, and they set a new direction for the Commonwealth. I am sure that each derived strength and reassurance in the process.

That was just one event in a year of massive and historic change. This time last year we were thinking of the servicemen and women in the Gulf, and of the hostages in captivity. Our prayers for their safe homecoming have largely been answered.

This Christmas we can take heart in seeing how, in the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, where it has endured years of persecution and hardship, the Christian faith is once again thriving and able to spread its message of unselfishness, compassion and tolerance.

Next February will see the fortieth anniversary of my father's death and of my Accession. Over the years I have tried to follow my father's example and to serve you as best I can.

You have given me, in return, your loyalty and your understanding, and for that I give you my heartfelt thanks. I feel the same obligation to you that I felt in 1952. With your prayers, and your help, and with the love and support of my family, I shall try to serve you in the years to come.

May God bless you and bring you a Happy Christmas.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: August 11, 2006


I haven't had any more thoughts about Sarajevo, which seems unusual I thought today. Some possible explanations are that I wasn't in Sarajevo, I am not supposed to remember anything about Sarajevo, or I'm not ready to remember Sarajevo.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 11 August 2006 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:12 PM

To: Kerry Burgess

Subject: Journal May 25, 2006


Tracie and I first went out on a December 7th. I think it was 1991. I think it was a Christmas party at the bank we worked at. Her job was to stock cash in the ATMs for the western part of the region I covered. When there was a problem with the machines, she called me out to make repairs.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 25 May 2006 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2006 3:12 PM

To: Kerry Burgess

Subject: Journal May 25, 2006


I loved that little kid and it is a horrible feeling to know now that she doesn't exist. It was bad enough that I never got to see her again, but now I know she never existed. And I wonder, greatly, if she represents someone else in my real life. I can remember this one time, it was Christmas Eve. Tracie and I were assembly toys


I got called into work and after I got through, I called Tracie and told her I wasn't going to drive back because I was a long ways away. Tracie was disappointed and wanted me to come back. I told her I wasn't coming back but then I changed my mind and drove back. I remember assembling a red wagon


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 25 May 2006 excerpt ends]










[ Bill Gates-Microsoft-Corbis-Nazi the cowardly International Terrorist Organization violently against the United States of America federal government actively instigate insurrection and subversive activity against the United States of America federal government with all Bill Gates-Microsoft-Corbis-Nazi staff partners contributors employees contractors lawyers managers of any capacity as severely treasonous criminal accomplices and that are active unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States that actively make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in the United States and in the Severely Treasonous and Criminally Rebellious State of Washington by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings ]


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099871/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Release dates for

Jacob's Ladder (1990)

Country Date

USA 2 November 1990
UK 27 September 1991










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/J/Jacobs_ladder_CD1.html


Jacobs ladder


Stop it!
Jake, don't you die on me.
Stop it! You're killing me!

Shit.
What was that?
I'm freezing.
I'm not cold.
Of course not. You have all the covers.
Must be 10 degrees in here.
I'm telling you, Sarah...
if you want fresh air,
you can sleep on the fire escape.
From now on, that window's closed.
It's not healthy when it's closed.
Healthy? You call this healthy?
I'm going to die of pneumonia.
This is healthy?
What a dream I was having.
I was living with another woman.
You know who it was?
I don't want to know.
Jezebel from the post office.
You remember her.
You met her at the Christmas Party that time.
I was living with her.
God, what a nightmare.
There were all these demons,
and I was on fire.
I was burning from ice.
Guilty thoughts.
See what happens when you cheat on me,
even in your mind?










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/J/Jacobs_ladder_CD1.html


Jacobs ladder


Hey.
Let me look at your hand.
No, thanks.
Go ahead, Jake. Let her.
She's real good.
Come on.
It's fun.
You left-handed or right-handed?
Um...right.
Give it to me.
Ok.
Mm-hmm. Married man.
Please.
Oh, no.
Oh, divorce.
I like that.
You see this here, that split?
Where?
Right here.
It's a paper cut.
Ooh, and a sense of humor, too.
I love it.
Hey, Jake, Jake.
Come on, baby, dance with me just one, huh?
What, are you flirting?
Hi.
Let's see, this is your heart line...
and your head line.
Huh?
And your life line.
You have a very strange line, hon.
No, it's not funny.
See, according to this, you're already dead.
You're out of here, baby.
What can you do?



http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0099871/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Jacob's Ladder (1990)


Elsa: See. According to this, you're already dead.










http://my.excite.com/tv/prog.jsp?id=EP011583610029&sid=20290&sn=KIRODT&st=201010122100&cn=107

excite

NCIS: Los Angeles (New)

107 KIRODT: Tuesday, October 12 9:00 PM

Crime drama, Action, Adventure, Mystery

Little Angels

The team races against time to save a naval commander's daughter after seeing a video of her being buried alive.

Cast: Chris O'Donnell, LL Cool J, Linda Hunt, Barrett Foa, Daniela Ruah, Eric Christian Olsen Director(s): Steven DePaul Executive Producer(s): Shane Brennan, R. Scott Gemmill

Original Air Date: Oct 12, 2010





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1632091/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

"NCIS: Los Angeles"

Little Angels (2010) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Special Agent G. Callen: [after reading Sam's file] He never said anything.

Henrietta 'Hetty' Lange: In our line of work, we're all haunted by nightmares. Stay close to your partner.










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/U/Undercover_Blues.html


Undercover Blues


I really appreciate this help, Lieutenant.
It's easy. March right up to him...
and start talking as loud as possible.
-Loud? -Loud and obnoxious.
Just act natural.
You got to laugh at yourself more, sir.
-Let me help you out. -Stop it!
Cut it out.
Loud.
Loud and proud, sir. Just you wait.
I'd like some assistance, please!
We're police officers!
Is there anyone in here that can help me?
Now!
Hear what I just said? I need some information!
Who's in charge of the automatic teller machine?
I want to talk to them now!
Excuse me. Is there a problem?
Can I help you in some way?
Mr. Ferderber? New Orleans Police Department.
How many times do I have to say this?
How many times?
Who's in charge of the automatic teller machine?
Must be hard of hearing.
That's all right. I understand.
I can help you. Would you come with me?
Just have a seat in my office here.
I'll make sure someone assists you immediately.
-Thanks. -All right?
Better be quick, too.