Saturday, August 20, 2011

Shirkers are reading this now.




http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0963178/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

The International (2009) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Wilhelm Wexler: Sometimes a man can meet his destiny on the road he took to avoid it.





http://movie.subtitlr.com/subtitle/show/493787


The International (2009)


Good evening, Colonel Wexler.
I'm Agent Louis Salinger.
I know who you are.
Of course you do.
I was at the Guggenheim this afternoon.
The assassin you met with...

...I know you were his handler.
I know you arranged for him to be killed at the behest of the bank...
...because I was obviously getting too close.
But if a hit team at the Guggenheim is what happens...
...because I was getting too close to him...
...what do you think the bank'll do when it realizes how close I am to you?
Death comes for us all, Agent Salinger.
But based on everything I've read about you...
...you seem like the kind of man...
...who aspired to die for something more than this.

Well, this is the difference between truth and fiction.
Fiction has to make sense.
I'm confused, colonel.
Why would a tried and true communist...
...a hardliner that spent 30 years in the Stasi...
...fighting against the evils of capitalism...
Why would this man waste his final days working for an institution...
...that was the very embodiment of everything he once despised?
You dedicated your life to the communist ideal.
You sacrificed everything for the good of the party.

For what?
You lost your wife to betrayal...
...your daughter to suicide...
...and when the Wall fell, your whole life fell apart with it.
You know nothing about me.
I was lost long before the Wall fell.
I was once destined to become a man much like yourself.
True-hearted...
...determined...
...full of purpose.

But...
...character is easier kept than recovered.
We cannot control the things life does to us.
They are done before you know it, and once they are done...
...they make you do other things...
...until at last, everything comes between you...
...and the man you wanted to be.
No.
We all have choices in life. You made yours.
Sometimes a man can meet his destiny...

...on the road he took to avoid it.
Skarssen and that bank need to answer for what they've done.
They have to be brought to justice.
You can help me do that.
Justice...
...is not possible.
Why not?
Because, Agent Salinger...
...your idea of justice is an illusion.
Understand the very system that you serve and protect...

...will never allow anything to happen to Skarssen or the bank.
On the contrary.
The system guarantees the IBBC's safety...
...because everyone is involved.
What do you mean, "everyone"?
Hezbollah.
CIA.
The Columbian drug cartels.
Russian organized crime.
Governments of Iran, Germany, China, your government.

Every multinational corporation, every one.
They all need banks like the IBBC...
...so that they can operate within the black and gray latitudes.
And this is why your investigative efforts...
...have either been ignored or undermined...
...and why you and I will be quietly disposed of...
...before any case against the bank ever reaches a court of law.
So, what are we all supposed to do?
We just supposed to give up...
...and accept that this is the way of the world?

I'm not gonna do that.
I still believe... I know...
...that there has to be a way to bring down this bank...
...and you are gonna help me.
You understand...
...if you really want to stop the IBBC...
...you won't be able to do it within the boundaries of your system of justice.
You will have to go outside.
Once you do...
...there will always be collateral damage.

Yes.
Should you sacrifice your own ideals for the greater good?
That's a difficult choice, one I understand all too well...
...but as you so eloquently put it...
...sometimes a man can meet his destiny...
...on the road he took to avoid it.