Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Let the clock run.




http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/ADA257664

AD-A257 664

A RAND NOTE

Laying the Foundations:

The Evolution of NATO in the 1950s


These developments set the stage for the landmark decisions that were taken in 1957 and ratified by the NATO summit meeting, attended by Eisenhower and other chiefs of state, that fall. At this summit, NATO decided to provide U.S.-built intermediate-range ballistic missiles to SACEUR, a step designed to give NATO an interim missile force until ICBMs became available. At the urging of the FRG and other allies, it also decided to establish a large nuclear stockpile in Europe under a Program of Cooperation (POC) program in which the allies would receive access to nuclear warheads for attack aircraft, battlefield missiles, field artillery, and surface-to-air missiles. This decision, which took nearly a full decade to implement, was to result in the eventual deployment of over 7,000 nuclear warheads in Europe. Equally important, the summit resulted in NATO's decision to set aside MC 14/1 and to adopt MC 14/2, which anchored NATO's defense plans on a
large-scale theater nuclear operation backed by a massive strategic nuclear blow against the Soviet homeland.

The new strategy was not entirely indifferent to conventional defenses. The debate at the time centered around whether NATO's conventional posture should provide merely a "tripwire" or instead a true "pause." The tripwire idea envisioned a very brief defense effort, one that would serve to trigger an almost i'mediate nuclear response. By contrast, the pause concept called for a somewhat more prolonged defense, one lengthy enough to provide NATO sufficient time to assess the situation before making the decision to escalate. This "pause" concept was especially favored by SACEUR (first Alfred Gruenther and later Lauris Norstad), who wanted a broader set of options than a purely tripwire posture could provide. MC 14/2 responded positively to SACEUR's wishes. But like massive retaliation, it still called for a large-scale resort to nuclear weapons, tactically and strategically, a relatively short time after war had begun. It thus relegated conventional forces, per se, to playing a limited role in alliance military doctrine."










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleet_Admiral_%28United_States%29

Fleet Admiral (United States)

Fleet Admiral of the United States Navy (FADM), or more commonly referred to as Fleet Admiral, is a five-star flag officer rank and is presently considered the highest possible rank in the United States Navy.


The insignia for Fleet Admiral comprises five stars in a pentagon design with a thick rank stripe, below four smaller stripes, on the service dress blue uniform.


The Fleet Admiral rank is reserved for war-time use only





From 6/19/1968 ( my 1st United States Navy Medal of Honor and I am US military fighter jet ace-in-single-day during Vietnam War ) to 5/1/1973 ( my graduation from University of Oxford at Lincoln College includes law degree ) is: 1777 days

From 5/1/1973 ( my graduation from University of Oxford at Lincoln College includes law degree ) to 3/13/1978 ( United States Department of the Army Order 31-3 General Of The Armies applies to me personally and professionally as Fleet Admiral Thomas Reagan US Navy ) is: 1777 days



From 9/2/1974 ( I returned to planet Earth after my 18 January 1974 first landing planet Venus ) To 6/7/1976 ( my first landing Saturn moon Phoebe and the Saturn moon Phoebe territory belongs to me and my wife ) is 644 days

From 6/7/1976 ( my first landing Saturn moon Phoebe and the Saturn moon Phoebe territory belongs to me and my wife ) To 3/13/1978 ( United States Department of the Army Order 31-3 General Of The Armies applies to me personally and professionally as Fleet Admiral Thomas Reagan US Navy ) is 644 days


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_of_the_Armies

General of the Armies

General of the Armies and General of the Armies of the United States are the highest possible ranks in the United States Army.


After World War II, which saw the introduction of U.S. "5-star" officers who outranked Washington, both Congress and the President revisited the issue of Washington's rank. To maintain George Washington's proper position as the first Commanding General of the United States Army, he was appointed, posthumously, to the grade of General of the Armies of the United States by congressional joint resolution Public Law 94-479 January 19, 1976, approved by President Gerald R. Ford on October 11, 1976. The law established the grade as having "rank and precedence over all other grades of the Army, past or present,"clearly making it superior to General of the Army. The Department of the Army Order 31-3, issued on March 13, 1978 had an effective appointment date of July 4, 1976. The rank ensures that no United States military officer outranks George Washington










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_(American_Civil_War)

Union (American Civil War)

During the American Civil War, the Union was a name used to refer to the federal government of the United States, which was supported by the twenty-three states which were not part of the secession attempt by the 11 states that formed the Confederacy.










1996 film "Star Trek: First Contact" DVD movie:

00:57:19


Starfleet Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge - Starfleet USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E Chief Engineer: You know, I wish I had a picture of this.

Dr. Zefram Cochrane: What?

Starfleet Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge - Starfleet USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E Chief Engineer: Well, you see, in the future, this whole area becomes a historical monument. You're standing almost on the exact spot where your statue's going to be.

Dr. Zefram Cochrane: Statue?

Starfleet Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge - Starfleet USS Enterprise NCC 1701-E Chief Engineer: Oh, yeah! It's marble, about 20 meters tall, and you're looking up at the sky and your hand's sort of reaching toward the future.










http://www.cswap.com/1996/Star_Trek:_First_Contact/cap/en/25fps/a/00_54

Star Trek: First Contact


:54:36
- Do they have to keep doing that?
- It's just a little hero worship.

:54:42
I can't say I blame them.
We all grew up hearing about you.

:54:47
Or, what you're about to do.
I shouldn't say this,

:54:52
but I went
to Zefram Cochrane High School.

:54:55
Really?

:55:00
- I wish I had a picture of this.
- What?

:55:06
In the future, this whole area
becomes an historical monument.

:55:11
You're standing on the exact spot
where your statue is going to be.

:55:16
Statue?

:55:19
It's marble, about 20 metres tall.
You're looking up at the sky.

:55:24
Your hand
is reaching toward the future.

:55:28
I've got to take a leak.

:55:32
Leak? I'm not detecting any leak.

:55:36
Don't you people
from the 24th century ever pee?

:55:40
Oh, leak! I get it.

:55:44
- That's pretty funny.










1982 film "Rambo: First Blood" Ultimate Edition DVD movie:

00:59:04


National Guard soldier: Move in a little closer. Just like Iwo Jima.

Hope Sheriff Will Teasle: I don't believe it. Idiots!

National Guard soldier: Steady. Got it.

National Guard Lieutenant Clinton Morgan: All right, Nick. One more for "Soldier of Fortune."

National Guard soldier #2: "Soldier of Fortune"?

Hope Sheriff Will Teasle: Damnit, what the hell do you think this is, some kind of circus?! Get the hell out of here! Didn't you get the word, Clinton? I told you people to wait until I got up here!

National Guard Lieutenant Clinton Morgan: Well, he was shooting at us, Will. Come on, I wasn't taking any chances!

Hope Sheriff Will Teasle: Christ, what a mess. We're going to have to dig his body out of there right away.

National Guard Lieutenant Clinton Morgan: Well, I mean, you can't get a dozer up here. You're going to have to find somebody to dig him out.

Hope Sheriff Will Teasle: Well, it's your mess, Clinton, you clean it up.

National Guard Lieutenant Clinton Morgan: Will, come on! I got to be back at the drug store tomorrow!

Hope Sheriff Will Teasle: Then you better get started right away, Clinton!










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramount_Pictures

Paramount Pictures

Type Subsidiary

Founded 1912

Headquarters Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, United States


Paramount Pictures Corporation is an American motion picture production and distribution company










1982 film "Rambo: First Blood" Ultimate Edition DVD movie:

00:59:04


National Guard soldier: Move in a little closer. Just like Iwo Jima.










http://www.cswap.com/1990/Gremlins_2:_The_New_Batch/cap/en/25fps/a/00_57

Gremlins 2: The New Batch


:57:52
Three, two, one. Cue Leonard.

:57:54
Hi. I'm Leonard Maltin,
and this is The Movie Police.

:57:59
First, our video watch.

:58:01
Just rereleased on video is Gremlins










http://www.cswap.com/1998/Dark_City/cap/en/25fps/a/00_27

Dark City


:27:44
You saw something,
didn't you, Eddie.

:27:47
Something to do with the case.










1982 film "Rambo: First Blood" Ultimate Edition DVD movie:

00:59:04


Hope Sheriff Will Teasle: Damnit, what the hell do you think this is, some kind of circus?! Get the hell out of here! Didn't you get the word, Clinton? I told you people to wait until I got up here!

National Guard Lieutenant Clinton Morgan: Well, he was shooting at us, Will. Come on, I wasn't taking any chances!

Hope Sheriff Will Teasle: Christ, what a mess. We're going to have to dig his body out of there right away.

National Guard Lieutenant Clinton Morgan: Well, I mean, you can't get a dozer up here. You're going to have to find somebody to dig him out.

Hope Sheriff Will Teasle: Well, it's your mess, Clinton, you clean it up.

National Guard Lieutenant Clinton Morgan: Will, come on! I got to be back at the drug store tomorrow!










2008 film "The Day the Earth Stood Still" DVD movie:

01:24:14


Jacob Benson: This is it. This is where we're supposed to meet her. Come on! Hurry up. It's this way. You can do this just like with the Trooper.










http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chevron

chevron


a pattern consisting of adjoining vertical rows of slanting lines, any two contiguous lines forming either a V or an inverted V










http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F06.html

Mother Simpson

Original airdate in N.A.: 19-Nov-95


The front door is now surrounded with flowers and wreaths. Once again the doorbell rings, and Marge answers it.

Marge: A tombstone?!

Patty: It came with the burial plot, but that's not important: the important thing is, Homer's dead.

Selma: We've been saving for this since your wedding day.

Marge: Get out of here, you ghouls! [shuts door] Ay-yi-yi-yi-yi. [the power goes off] Huh? [Marge goes to window, sees a man cutting the lines] Uh, excuse me! Sir? I think there's been a mistake.

Workman: Oh, no, no mistake. Your electricity's in the name of Homer J. Simpson, deceased. The juice stays off until you get a job or a generator. Oh, and, uh, my deepest sympathies. [Marge shuts the window and grunts]

Marge: Homer?

Homer: [walking in] That's my name.

Marge: When I asked you if that dummy was to fake your own death, you told me no. You go downtown first thing in the morning and straighten this out.

Lisa: {Mom! Dad! Bart ran into a doorframe and bit his tongue.}

Bart: {[lisping] What the hell's going on heah?}

-- It's just Homer faking his own death again, "Mother Simpson"

Homer goes off to the Springfield Hall of Records to talk to the bureaucrats.

Homer: Listen here: my name is Homer J. Simpson. You guys think I'm dead, but I'm not. Now I want you to straighten this out without a lot of your bureaucratic red tape and mumbo-jumbo!

Bureaucrat: [typing] OK, Mr. Simpson, I'll just make the change here... and you're all set.

Homer: I don't like your attitude, you water-cooler dictator. What do you have in that secret government file anyway? I have a right to read it.

Bureaucrat: [spinning monitor around] You sure do.

Homer: [reading] "Wife: Marjorie. Children: Bartholomew, Lisa" -- aha! See? This thing is all screwed up! Who the heck is Margaret Simpson?

Bureaucrat: Uh, your youngest daughter.

Homer: [mocking] "Uh, your youngest daughter". Well how about this? This thing says my mother's still alive; she died when I was a kid! [goes to window] See that stone angel up there? That's my mother's grave. My dad points it out every time we drive by.

Bureaucrat: Mr. Simpson, uh...maybe you should actually go up there.

-- A new idea, "Mother Simpson"

Homer goes up and brushes the foliage out of the way of the inscription on the tombstone.

Homer: Mom, I'm sorry I never come to see you. I'm just not a cemetery person. "Here lies" -- Walt Whitman?! Aargh! Damn you, Walt Whitman! [kicking grave] I! Hate! You! Walt! Freaking! Whitman!










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=37238&st=&st1=

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks at the Presentation Ceremony for the Presidential Medal of Freedom

May 12th, 1986

The President. Well, thank you all for being here. Nancy and I want to welcome you all to the White House for this happy occasion. On days like this and at lunches like this, I find myself looking up and thinking what a wonderful job I have. We're here today to present the Medal of Freedom to seven Americans. This medal is the highest civilian honor our nation can bestow. And I've always thought it highly significant that we call it not the Medal of Talent or the Medal of Valor or the Medal of Courage or Genius but the Medal of Freedom. I think that says a lot about our values and what we honor and what we love.

Freedom is important to all of us. As someone who spent many years making speeches, I have quoted many definitions of freedom—some very moving and eloquent. But I've always liked George Orwell's blunt and unadorned statement. He said, "Freedom is the right to say no." There's something kind of happily rebellious about that definitions and I thought of it this morning because I decided this year's recipients of the Medal of Freedom are distinguished by this. You're a group of happy rebels. In your careers and in the way you have lived your lives, you've all said no—a most emphatic no—to mediocrity, to averageness, to timidity. You've said no to the rules of the game and the regulations of the day. You've said no to the conventional wisdom, no to the merely adequate, no to the limits and limitations on yourselves and others.

But it's probably true that there is little point to freedom unless it's accompanied by a big yes! And each of you has uttered a resounding Whitmanesque yes to many things—to excellence and risk and reach, to courage and the untried and the supposedly impossible. You've rebelled against the artificial and embraced the authentic. You've achieved a great deal. And your creativity itself has been life-affirming, for creation is a profoundly faithful act, an act that says, "I trust in the future, and I trust in life itself."

You're all originals. You've all made America better—a better place—and you've made it seem a better place in the eyes of the people of the world. And this today is just our way of saying thanks. And without further ado, I'm going to read the citations for the medals now and award them to the recipients.


General Matthew B. Ridgway:

When a soldier rising, sword in hand, reaches to protect an idea—freedom, liberty, human kindness—the world is, for a moment, hushed. Greatness is often born in quiet, in stillness. And so it was that night in June of 1944 when General Matthew B. Ridgway prayed the words God spoke to Joshua.. "I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee." D-day saved a continent, and so, a world. And Ridgway helped save D-day. Heroes come when they're needed; great men step forward when courage seems in short supply. World War II was such a time.










2008 film "The Day the Earth Stood Still" DVD movie:

00:05:50


Dr. Helen Benson: So, pompejana, Thiobacillus, Deinococcus - which of these three would most likely survive in the extreme environment of the Jupiter moon Callisto, and why? Tom, can you get the lights, please? That's your lab report question for this week and it's due in my box by midnight on Friday. That's all for today. Thank you.

Tom: So, are coming to the faculty conference tonight?

Dr. Helen Benson: And listen to Dean Stoff lecture about how the universe is like a beautiful woman? Think I'll pass.

Tom: Come on. It'll be fun. I could pick you up.

Dr. Helen Benson: Um, I can't. I have to get back to my own extreme environment. But thank you. See you tomorrow.

Tom: Yeah.


00:06:42

Jacob: Go, go! Come on, come on! Yes!










http://www.tv.com/stephen-kings-the-stand/the-betrayal/episode/1178983/trivia.html

tv.com

Stephen King's The Stand

Season 1, Episode 3

The Betrayal

Air Date

Wednesday May 11, 1994

Quotes

Glen Bateman: The plague took the people, but it couldn't take the gadgets, could it? No, they're all still out there. Everything from electric can openers to cobalt bombs, just waiting for someone to come along and pick 'em up. And the scavenger hunt... starts today.










}}}}} JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Thursday, September 15, 2005

I had that dream again about the house I bought in South Carolina back in the early '90s. I loved that place, it was quiet and relaxing. That house is always the central element in dreams I have sometime. There are usually variations to the situation, but the house is always there. And there is usually another element to the dream. In the dream, I discover that I still own the house and I can go back there any time I want, even at the very moment I realize it is still there. It is a great feeling to know I can sleep there that very night if I want to.



In this dream last night though, there is something about my nieces. One of them has bought the house and will live there now. This is one of ten houses that one of ten nieces is getting. Not sure what that means, I only have two nieces. So anyway, I have two cars parked outside. One is that Mazda RX-7, and just like re-discovering the house in the prior dreams, this car is suddenly mine again and I am very happy to see it. I faced a dilemma though about how to get two cars back to my place, whereever that was. There is a lot of food in one car and I am transferring it from one to the RX-7. It was dark. Then I found myself at what seemed to be my own place in the country, the grass was very high. Never seen this place before, but there seems to be something slightly familiar about it. Next image I remember is my Jeep blocking the entrace of my driveway. But the postman has driven around it and is delivering the mail. He has a lot to deliver. At one point, he walks up to the house, or the garage, but I do not talk with him. Before this, I had been walking around the property and there are a lot of other buildings with purposes I don't know but they have a lot of objects, tools and such, cluttered around. I am standing on the porch about to go in and a woman throws open a hatch on the porch and starts climbing up from under the porch. She is carrying a fishing tackle box and something else I don't recognize. She is a scientist or something. She is on some kind of expedition

{{{{{










http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/tool

tool


anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose: Education is a tool for success.

Something regarded as necessary to the carrying out of one's occupation or profession: Words are the tools of our trade.










1984 film "Night of the Comet" DVD movie:

00:35:51


Hector: Samantha! Did they say anything else? Anything?

Samantha: Yeah. They said be careful on the street. Because some people were exposed to the comet a little bit. What happened to Doris is happening to them, only slower. And, like, they're dangerous.

Regina: Like what happened to Larry.


00:36:51

Samantha: You're not going to blame me because the phone went dead. I'm not the phone company. Nobody is the phone company anymore. What? Cops? Where were you guys earlier? Oh shit, my license. Oh shit!










http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0116996/

Mars Attacks! (1996)

Release Date: 13 December 1996 (USA)

Plot: The Earth is invaded by Martians with irresistible weapons and a cruel sense of humor.

Jack Nicholson ... President James Dale










http://my.excite.com/tv/prog.jsp?id=EP012137510009&sid=58623&sn=SYFYHD&st=201003261800&cn=676

excite

Caprica (New)

676 SYFYHD: Friday, March 26 6:00 PM

Science fiction, Drama

End of Line

Cast: Eric Stoltz, Esai Morales, Paula Malcomson, Alessandra Torresani, Magda Apanowicz, Polly Walker, Sasha Roiz

Original Air Date: Mar 26, 2010










http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/port

port

a city, town, or other place where ships load or unload.

a place along a coast in which ships may take refuge from storms; harbor.

Also called port of entry. Law. any place where persons and merchandise are allowed to pass, by water or land, into and out of a country and where customs officers are stationed to inspect or appraise imported goods.

a geographical area that forms a harbor: the largest port on the eastern seaboard.

Informal. an airport.