Thursday, October 25, 2018

The Passage




The Passage: A Novel (Book One of The Passage Trilogy)

Justin Cronin

page 102 (Amazon Kindle Version)


Now, five years later and who knew how many hundred of millions down the rathole, all they had to show for their troubles were about three hundred dead monkeys, who knew how many dogs and pigs, half a dozen dead homeless guys, and eleven former death row inmates who glowed in the dark and scared the shit out of absolutely everybody.



Like the monkeys, the first human subjects had all died within hours, blazing with fever, bleeding out like busted hydrants. But then the first of the inmates, Babcock, had survived - Giles Babcock, as bullshit crazy a man as ever walked the earth; everyone on L4 called him the Talker, on account of the fact the guy couldn't shut up even for a second, not before and not after - followed by Morrison and Chavez and Baffes and the rest, each refinement making the virus progressively weaker, so the inmates' bodies could combat it. Eleven vampires - why not use the word? - who weren't much good to anyone, as far as Richards could tell. Sykes had confessed that he wasn't sure you could actually *kill* them, short of shooting an RPG down their throats. VSA Vampires, Say Aaaah. The virus had turned their skin into a kind of protein-based exoskeleton, so hard it made Kevlar look like pancake batter. Only over the breastbone, a strike zone about three inches square, was this material thin enough to penetrate. But even this was just a theory.








https://hvom.blogspot.com/2018/10/ncis-new-orleans-got-little-piano.html

Posted by Kerry Burgess at 11:04 PM

Homeless Veteran Of Microsoft

I am Kerry Burgess. This is what I think.

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2018

NCIS New Orleans. Got the little piano tinkling and everything going on there.

As I noted before on this non-obvious topic.

An obvious, conformist crossover fueled by fans of Scott Bakula lurking out there in festering shadows of the internet?

Or some other reason?

HOWEVER. There is still more for me to document about this day October 23, 2018. Probably won't be more today about it from me.








https://hvom.blogspot.com/2018/10/even-if-you-have-some-power-that-we.html

Posted by Kerry Burgess at 11:14 PM

Homeless Veteran Of Microsoft

I am Kerry Burgess. This is what I think.

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 23, 2018

"Even if you have some power that we don't understand, you have no right to dictate to our Federation"








https://hvom.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-passage.html

Posted by Kerry Burgess at 12:44 AM

Homeless Veteran Of Microsoft

I am Kerry Burgess. This is what I think.

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 24, 2018

The Passage

http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/27.htm

Errand of Mercy [ Star Trek: The Original Series television episode ]

Original Airdate: Mar 23, 1967


KIRK: But what about this planet? The fields, the buildings, this citadel?

SPOCK: Conventionalisations, I should say. Useless to the Organians. Created so that visitors such as ourselves, could have conventional points of reference.

KOR, the Klingon commander: But is all of this possible?

SPOCK: We have seen it with our own eyes.








from my online journal as Kerry Burgess MONDAY, APRIL 22, 2013


http://www.nsf.gov/news/newsletter/jul_10/index.jsp

National Science Foundation [ RETRIEVED 04 FEBRUARY 2013 ]

Change of Leadership at NSF

Barack Obama announced his intent to nominate Subra Suresh, dean of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's School of Engineering, as NSF's next director. Suresh's nomination was sent to the Senate on June 8, 2010.








posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 7:02 PM Pacific Time Seattle USA Friday 21 June 2013 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2013/06/mr-denton-on-doomsday.html

Mr. Denton on Doomsday


For the first time I can ever recall, as I was using a bottle opener to open another bottle of Corona Extra beer, a small portion of the top of the bottle broke off along with the bottle cap. I didn't give it much thought and it wasn't that big a piece of glass but it was big enough to catch my attention and as best I recall now it was a circular piece of broken glass that came off with the bottle cap.

I took a drink of the beer bottle anyway and it cut my lip. My lip was actually bleeding but it was very minor and although I could still feel it the next day there was only a small amount of blood.








http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/27.htm

Errand of Mercy [ Star Trek: The Original Series television episode ]

Original Airdate: Mar 23, 1967


[Kor's office]

KOR: You'll have a drink with me, Captain?

KIRK: No, thank you.

KOR: I assure you it isn't drugged. With our mind-scanner, we have no need for such crude methods.

KIRK: What do you want from me?

KOR: Oh, a very great deal, but first I want to talk. Just talk.

KIRK: You think I'm going to sit here and just talk with the enemy?

KOR: You'll talk. Either here, now, voluntarily, or under our mind-scanner. The fact is, Captain, I have a great admiration for your Starfleet. A remarkable instrument. and I must confess to a certain admiration for you. I know, of course, that it was you who destroyed our supplies last night.

KIRK: Something was destroyed? Nothing inconsequential, I hope.

KOR: Hardly. They were quite important to us, but they can be replaced. You of the Federation, you are much like us.

KIRK: We're nothing like you. We're a democratic body.

KOR: Come now. I'm not referring to minor ideological differences. I mean that we are similar as a species. Here we are on a planet of sheep. Two tigers, predators, hunters, killers, and it is precisely that which makes us great. And there is a universe to be taken.

KIRK: It's a very large universe, Commander, full of people who don't like the Klingons.

KOR: Excellent. Then it shall be a matter of testing each other's wills. Of power. Survival must be earned, Captain. Tell me about the dispersal of your Starfleet.

KIRK: Go climb a tree.

KOR: I can get what I want through our mind-scanner, but there would be very little of your mind left, Captain. I have no desire to see you become a vegetable. This friend of yours, the Vulcan. He seems to have the ability to block our scanner. I think perhaps I will find out why. I will have him dissected. Your friend killed. You, a mental vegetable. Not a pleasant prospect, Captain, but it lies ahead for you unless you tell me everything I want to know. Twelve hours, Captain.

KIRK: It will take a lot longer than that, Commander.

KOR: Longer than that I will not wait. I respect you, Captain, but this is war, a game we Klingons play to win. Take him to the cell with his friend. And watch him closely.










galactica-1980_season1-ep10_00h18m17s.jpg




galactica-1980_season1-ep10_00h18m21s.jpg




galactica-1980_season1-ep10_00h17m11s.jpg



- posted by Kerry Burgess 04:23 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Thursday 25 October 2018