Friday, September 13, 2019

The city on the edge of forever



I don't get it.

The *post* gave me an idea to check for something else in the code pattern I had not checked on before now. I found an interesting match but yet, is not really that interesting either. Interesting when compared with that Twitter post from a person I had never known existed until today, but the pattern doesn't really speak to me about anything in particular. Perhaps when combined with other matches in the pattern, perhaps "The City on the Edge of Forever", but I don't know, I haven't checked that thoroughly and I don't have any plans to make more posts about it. And the pattern I've found already for that calendar would seem to prove conclusively conspiracy.

As for that image, I have to wonder why it seems so special to that photographer. It's got to be a staged comment simply because of the code pattern for the calendar day, is all I can guess.

Because the image isn't really that remarkable to me.

The high-thin cloud cover is what ruins it for me.

Any photographer, covering a scheduled event, has no control over the weather that hijacks her image.

A more impressive image would be of a clear blue sky above that setting.

Not that the blue skies around here are really that impressive. At least, as best I can remember. I have not been away from this region since the year 1999. I remember taking a commercial flight back to Oklahoma for a funeral with the people I grew up with, from before I made my permanent escape in 1984, still yet to escape the government bureaucracy. Back in 1999, I dazzled over how I had forgotten how green everything was outside the Pacific Northwest. Lot of green foliage around here but it's a dark green. And here in Spokane, at the extreme edge of Eastern Washington State, we are at the edge of a desert that is much of Central Washington State. My understanding is that the blue color of that thin layer of the atmosphere above us that we call the sky, is because of the light from the Sun encountering water molecules suspended above us and before that same light reaches our faces. The water molecules and other stuff in the atmosphere cause the sunlight to bend and scatter and because blue has a shorter wavelength, is strongly scattered as it passes through the water molecules on its journey towards our senses. My guess is that because our air here is less humid than I recall all those years living in South Carolina then our skies here will rarely have that deep blue I remember from being at sea in the Caribbean and other places around the world.

I've also sometimes find myself feeling under-impressed with an image I later posted online, perhaps because the hosting website reduced the pixel count of my original image.

At least her post has no "Like, for sure, like, exactly, like".









twitter_libby-kamrowski_09-10-2019_1.jpg



Riverfront Spokane Retweeted

https://twitter.com/SpoRiverfrontPk

https://twitter.com/libbykamrowski/status/1171626774519640069

Libby Kamrowski

@libbykamrowski

Photographer, archivist for @spokesmanreview. @VisitSpokane’s 2019-2020 photographer. Former @GonzagaBulletin Editor-in-Chief.

8:29 PM - 10 Sep 2019

Okay I was editing my photos from the Pavilion grand opening and this looks like a rendering instead of the real-life photo that it is. There's zero edits to this one, but now I am suspicious that I am living in a false simulation... Initiate Truman-Show style worrying in 3, 2, 1








The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)

Sean O'Connell: Do you mind? I'm working.

Todd, eHarmony customer support (cellular phone): This is one of the best profiles I've ever done. And our refund policy, well, we don't have one...

Walter Mitty (cellular phone): Todd, I got to go.

Walter Mitty: Sean.

Sean O'Connell: Yeah.

Walter Mitty: It's Walter. Mitty. Walter Mitty.

Sean O'Connell: Seriously?









2016July22_Chloe55_DSC00544.jpg, Kerry Burgess 2016 Spokane



2016July22_Chloe55_DSC00543.jpg, Kerry Burgess 2016 Spokane



2016May29_Chloe55_DSC00192.jpg, Kerry Burgess 2016 Spokane








https://hvom.blogspot.com/2019/07/the-dark-tower.html

Posted by Kerry Burgess at 1:18 PM

Number 878: The Farthest Man From Home

I am Kerry Burgess. This is what I think.

Wednesday, July 24, 2019

The Dark Tower

So it would take a $3500 camera body plus a $2000 lens to compete with an under-four hundred dollar Cyber-shot for the images I like the best.

$5500 plus tax for a Sony A7RIV, their new 61 megapixel camera body, and next month's debut from Sony of a new 200mm-600mm telephoto zoom lens.

The image would have to be zoomed on the desktop and then cropped. And only then, is my guess, would a comparison be possible with my Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V superzoom camera with its 20.4 megapixel sensor.

And that not's the only problem. That 600mm lens is a *pipe*. 2000 years ago cavemen could use it to club dinner.

That $5500 bundle is going to weigh a total of at least 2780 grams. That's over six pounds. Would probably break my tripod. Most of that weight is for that huge lens. 665 grams for the camera body and 2215 grams for the lens.

Meanwhile, the -400 with its integrated, unchangeable lens weighs in at a total of about 652 grams. Optical zoom up to 1200 mm with 200x digital zoom.

Still, that 61 megapixel camera would capture some *tremendous* detail in a each image. And image file size that would possibly be close to 50 megabytes, is my guess. 50 megabytes could be the size of only a single image. That's going to chew up a hard-drive really fast if you're an avid photographer.

On the R4 the limited touch-screen seems to be a nice addition but it's very limited, from what I've read, nothing really interesting, such as camera control. I don't take pictures of people, or other animals, so all the eye-detection hype is useless to me personally. What I would REALLY like to see is support for an infrared remote at the rear. At first I thought maybe that viewfinder sensor was detecting my infrared remote but it seems to be only from reflection onto the front sensor. On a tripod it's useful but without is cumbersome without three hands. The ISO range up to 32000 can be expanded to 102400, that's the same as the R2 and R3 but I have yet to find a lot of use for high ISO. I don't like the bluish color that creeps in. I might later try capturing images in a completely dark room at the highest ISO setting to illustrate this notion.

I have a Sony Alpha released 2015 and I have started to contemplate the coincidence that seems a synchronization associated with the purchase from my meager savings for that camera, trying to find other activities to break away from this daily grind at this same stupid desk.

If only I had that Alpha on 09/26/2013.

What's compelling about that incident in 2018, described below, is to consider my personal activities at the time. I've gone out there more often, trying to re-trace my steps back to those 878 days of the year 2004, but at that time in 2018, I had not been out there very often. It's 23 miles one-way for me and this desk is crippling me more every day I sit here trying to figure out what the hell happened. But in this instance, I went over there, looked around, captured a few images, came back, started reading a book, it made more work for me.

Now everything is more work for me. I can't go anywhere or do anything without finding signs of my Theory of Synchronization.

Aggravatingly, the buttons still don't work on my Alpha. I've worked around it somewhat with custom keys and to a limited degree with the infrared remote but it's still aggravating as hell. All I can guess it's moisture damage. The body is supposed to be resistant to moisture and mine has never been immersed in water so that really sucks. I was contemplating the possibility of purchasing the R3 but I knew that was highly unlikely to happen.

Yesterday I discovered the new Sony Alpha version and it's debut date.

During my brief foray into a photography forum on Facebook a while back I noted, using different words, that most people looking at an image aren't going to notice the difference of a $5000 camera image and a $300 camera image. From best I can tell with my amateur eye, most of the people claiming to be "professional" photographers are using filters and such to adjust their images. Phony images for phony people and their stupid iPhones.



- posted by Kerry Burgess 2:34 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Friday 09/13/2019