Saturday, April 21, 2007

"The Inner Light"

I was most certainly in that hospital room with President Ronald Reagan after he was shot. That is why I have those "memories" of sleeping on the sofa when Ronnie Romine was in the hospital. Ronnie Romine was my step-father's father in my artificial life. And my step-father was a Vietnam War veteran and I guess that is why he was my step-father in my symbolic memories. He symbolizes, in certain aspects, my experiences in the Vietnam War. I "remember" the time I found his three Purple Hearts from Vietnam. There was that one time the doctors said he would never walk again after he stepped on a landmine. That probably happened to me to, if not in Vietnam, then in the Falklands, but I think that part about never walking again actually has something to do with me walking on the Moon. As for Ronnie Romine, I "remember" he was in the hospital dying from a lung ailment. I think that all represents me sitting in the hospital with President Reagan and he was having trouble breathing because of the breathing tube, as I read about somewhere on the internet.

That assassination attempt of 3/30/81 was 69 days after he took office and 69 days before 6/7/81.


From 1/20/1981 to 3/30/1981 is: 69 days
From 3/30/1981 to 6/7/1981 is: 69 days

Had we been planning to strike that day or did we strike that day as a response to the assassination attempt? If the former, were they alerted and prepared for our strike? It seems that if President Reagan was shot in anticipation of that strike on Iraq, then their defenses would have been fully alerted to our strike when we got there.


I saw this photo a few months ago and I am still quite certain that I was the pilot on the left. The 3/16/1982 date stamp would mean it was taken 59 months, 2 days, after 4/14/1977. Every time I look at photos of an aircraft cockpit like that, I remember sitting at the console of the USS Taylor FFG-50 where one of my many assignments on that ship was as a helmsman. As far as I know, that class of frigates are the only U.S. Navy warships that are designed for the helmsman to remain seated while steering the ship. That would serve as a great source of symbolism for a jet pilot, as those ships have gas turbine propulsion, which are basically jet engines.
































C6817-25, President Reagan sitting with the crew in the cockpit of Air Force One. 3/16/82


As I looked through those photos, I am reminded of “memories” from my artificial life. Those photos of President Reagan on Air Force One remind me of when my father from my artificial life worked on a cattle ranch in Oklahoma. He was usually a truck driver, but there was that one time he took a job as the manager of a cattle ranch and those photos of Air Force One remind me of that. The interior reminds me of a trailer they used as their office on that cattle ranch. I think of that every time I see those photos.

This is how I “remember” sitting at the helm of the USS Taylor FFG-50 in my artificial life. It’s possible I have sat at the helm of that class of ship, but not likely. All of those “memories” of sitting there day and night actually represent flying a jet aircraft in reality.






























US Navy (USN) Seaman (SN) Marcus Hardoman stands watch on the bridge of the USN Oliver Hazard PERRY Class Guided Missile Frigate USS REUBAN JAMES (FFG 57) during maneuvers in Exercise INSPIRED SIREN 02. INSPIRED SIREN 02 is a US and Pakistani bilateral military exercise involving surface and air forces from the two nations to enhance interoperability and tactical proficiency. It will also refine and strengthen the existing military-to-military relationships of the two nations.


I look through more photos and I think a few times that my “memories” of my mother Thedia, might actually be real memories of Patti Davis, who would be my aunt. I think she is also represented by Gemma’s sister, but I can’t “remember” her name. Gemma was the second wife, of my father, in my artificial life. I can “remember” one night I was there in her house in Asher with my brother and sisters and we were looking through the window of the house at the Moon and she said something about there was a man there on the Moon. I think the reason for Gemma is because I was on that Gemini 12 flight into orbit of Earth when I 7/69 years old.


There was also a photo of Ronald Reagan’s son Michael Reagan from 1976 and that reminded me of a lot of my symbolic and artificial memories. The photo of Michael Reagan in 1976 reminded me of my step-father Dale Parker, around 1976 in my artificial life. My artificial memories are so detailed. But while Dale Parker might represent Michael Reagan in appearance, that is probably where the connection ends. Other details about him could represent details about my real life. For example, I “remember” that Dale Parker was killed when he was electrocuted by a power drill when he was attaching a trailer hitch to Thedia’s red V.W. What I think that represents in reality is that the Libyans were threatening to electrocute me to death when I was a POW in 1986. And the power drill is because of the scar I have in my hand, as I wrote about recently. And that set of memories might connect to my experiences in the Vietnam War too. That is why Thedia had that red V.W. She had two of those cars actually; one after the other. As for that time Dale Parker was killed, I remember we were living at his parents house and I “remember” wanting to carve out a message in the yard as I was mowing the grass so that an aircraft flying over would see that message. That is standard POW techniques, or so I have read. And then there is the time at that house when his father was complaining that I was not listening to him about staying out of the neighbors yard. I built a fort in the pine trees at the edge of the neighbors yard and Dale father was yelling at me to stay out of the yard. What I think that represents is Ronald Reagan or maybe even my real father telling me to stay out of the Vietnam War.


In certain aspects, my current life is similar to that 1992 episode of “Star Trek: The Next Generation” titled “The Inner Light.” I think a lot about the ending to that episode where he has lived to become an old man, he watches a rocket launch through the sky, and then everything.......something I can't figure out what else I want to say here. I feel as though I am at that part of that episode just before the friends he knew in that artificial life appeared and told him what was happening and then he awoke to return to his real life. I am just about to that point.

"The Inner Light" is the twenty fifth episode of the fifth season of the science fiction television series Star Trek: The Next Generation, the penultimate episode of the season.

Airdate June 1, 1992

Plot

The Enterprise-D is followed by a space probe. When the probe scans the ship, Picard staggers and is rendered unconscious.

He wakes to find himself being tended to by a women, who tells him he has come out of a fever. She refers to him as Kamin, and claims to be his wife. He establishes that he is on a non-federation planet called Kataan, and sets about finding a way to send a message. Outside he meets a man by the name of Batai, who is troubled by his strange questions and apparent lack of memory. Picard visits a lookout offering a view of the town of Ressik. Later his "wife" tells him that he works as an ironweaver and he enjoys practicing the flute. He notices she is wearing an necklace with a decoration in the shape of the probe.

On the bridge of the Enterprise, Dr. Crusher finds that the probe is transmitting a signal to Picard, and that he is experiencing dramatically increased neural activity. They are unable to block the probe but decide that firing on it may put the captain's health at risk

On Kataan, five years later, Picard charts the stars while his wife remarks that none of his stories of his supposed former life mention a loving partner. At a town meeting, Picard impresses a regional administrator by suggesting that atmospheric condensers be built to relieve the prolonged drought. Batai feels that Kamin is once again acting as a menber of the community. Later that night, Picard confesses to his wife that the relationship has been one-sided, and decides that it is time to start a family.

On the bridge, Data finds a way to block the signal. Riker, believing the probe is hostile, gives the go-ahead despite Dr. Crusher's objections.

Four years later, with a daughter and newborn son, Picard realises that his life wouldn't be complete without children. He collapses when the probe's beam is blocked, and on the Enterprise his body quickly begins to die. Crusher attempts to stabilise him, but only re-establishing the signal averts his death.

Many years later, Picard chides his fully grown daughter on placing scientific pursuits above the social. By now the drought has become serious enough to threaten all life on the planet.

The Enterprise tracks the probe's trail to its planet of origin, Kataan, a lifeless planet whose star went nova a millennia ago.

An old Picard discusses his adult son's career choices. He presents his findings about the planet's fate to the administrator, who by now is an old friend. However the administrator has been aware of the problem for the past two years, but the government chose not to inform the public. He assures Picard that despite the lack of spacefaring technology the government does have a plan to save some remnant of the society. His son calls him back to the house where his wife soon dies. Some years later, an ancient Picard interrupts his play with his grandson to watch a missile launch: the launch of the probe. His wife and old friend Batai appear as he when he first saw them, and they tell him that the probe is a way for them to live on.

On the bridge, the transmission from the probe ceases and Picard wakes up, recalling distant memories of his life aboard the Enterprise. He can scarcely believe that only 25 minutes have passed in realtime.

Later, in his ready room, Riker gives Picard a small rectangular box which was found inside the probe and leaves him alone. Inside, Picard finds Kamin's flute, which he had gradually mastered over the years. Treasuring the memory of his life on Kataan, he adeptly plays a tune.