Sunday, April 22, 2007

Outrageous

I was reviewing the "Star Trek: The Next Generation" episode "The Outrageous Okana" because it was 34 weeks, 4 days, after 4/14/1988 and my theory about 4/14/1988 was reinforced when I noted that was an episode Teri Hatcher was in. I don't think she was in any of the other episodes. I think she was in that particular episode because she is my sister and that episode was some kind of historical marker. This episode could have some bearing on me towing away the remaining anti-ship mines that would have finished off Roberts. And that is surely what must have happened. Why would I have those artificial memories of that night on that island across the bay from Guantanamo Bay Naval Base when I was there with the USS Taylor FFG-50? In those memories, I was by myself in a Boston Whaler as I towed away one of those large, steel buoys. Those photos I have seen of the anti-ship mines the Navy recovered in the Persian Gulf look almost just like that buoy I hit that night and that I towed away. I think it was before that when I remember being tossed across within the boat after I hit one that I didn't see floating in the water. Why would I remember that if not for being there on the USS Roberts on 4/14/1988?

That attack on the USS Samuel B. Roberts FFG-58 was 333 days after the attack on the USS Stark FFG-31. I think the term “outrageous” was used here to reflect the sentiment that I was again attacked. It could also have a dual meaning in the context of me making a key contribution to saving that ship, for which I think I received another Medal of Honor, in the sense of it was remarkable that I survived.

If I have this figured out correctly, I was on the USS Samuel B. Roberts FFG-58 that day because that was my first deployment after recovering from my escape across Africa and I was there as the leader of a team of U.S. Navy SEALs. The U.S. Navy was engaged at the time in convoy duties for oil tankers transiting the Persian Gulf.

"The Outrageous Okona" is the fourth episode of the second season of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It first aired on December 12, 1988. It is episode #30, production number #130. It was written by Les Menchen, Lance Dickson and David Landsberg, with a teleplay by Burton Armus and directed by Robert Becker.

Overview: The crew of the Enterprise encounters a flamboyant space rogue, while Data tries to learn humor from a holodeck comedian.



So then I looked at the previous episode and its date was 33 weeks, 4 days, after 4/14/1988. There is a reference to the HMS Victory in that episode and it was on that ship that Admiral Nelson was killed by a sniper. I remember noting Admiral Nelson in my journal a few years ago after I left Microsoft. I distinctly remember that the Abu Ghraib scandal flared up in full view after I was pondering in my journal about the historical contrasts of Admiral Nelson and General Santa Anna. There is nothing that connects the two personally that I know of, but I found it interesting, for some reason, to ponder on their places in history as I was jogging.

From 4/14/1988 to 12/5/1988 is: 235 days, or 33 weeks and 4 days

"Elementary, Dear Data" is the third episode of the second season of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It first aired on December 5, 1988. It is episode #29, production #129, written by Brian Alan Lane and directed by Rob Bowman.

Overview: Geordi asks the holodeck to make a Sherlock Holmes villain that can defeat Data, however the resulting antagonist appears far more resourceful than estimated.
...
On stardate 42286.3, the Enterprise is waiting to rendezvous with the USS Victory which is three days out. Down in engineering, Lieutenant La Forge shows Data a beautiful scale model of the original HMS Victory sailing ship, a gift for the starship's commanding officer, Captain Zimbata. The ship reminds Data of his latest holodeck recreations of Sherlock Holmes stories and since they have time before the Victory arrives, Geordi suggests he accompany Data in the role of Dr. Watson on his next adventure.



Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson, 1st Viscount Nelson, KB (29 September 1758 – 21 October 1805) was an English admiral famous for his participation in the Napoleonic Wars, most notably in the Battle of Trafalgar, where he lost his life.[1] It was as a result of these wars that he became one of the greatest naval heroes in the history of the United Kingdom, eclipsing Admiral Robert Blake in fame.
...
After crippling the French flagship Bucentaure, Victory moved on to the Redoutable. The two ships became entangled, at which point snipers in the fighting tops of Redoutable were able to pour fire down onto the deck of Victory. Nelson was one of those hit: a bullet entered his left shoulder, pierced his lung, and came to rest at the base of his spine. Nelson retained consciousness for four hours, but died soon after the battle ended with a British victory.(See #Last words.) The bullet that killed Nelson was removed from his body and is now on public display in Windsor Castle.

Victory was towed after the battle to Gibraltar, with Nelson's body preserved in a barrel of brandy. Legend has it that, ironically, it was French brandy that had been captured during the battle. (This was the origin of the phrase "Tapping the Admiral" for having a small hard drink.) Upon the arrival of his body in London, Nelson was given a state funeral (one of only five non-royal Britons to receive the honour - others include the Duke of Wellington and Sir Winston Churchill) and entombment in St. Paul's Cathedral. He was laid to rest in a wooden coffin made from the mast of L'Orient which had been salvaged after the Battle of the Nile, within a sarcophagus originally carved for Thomas Cardinal Wolsey (when Wolsey fell from favour, it was confiscated by Henry VIII and was still in the royal collections in 1805).