Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Jericho




A few hours ago, I awoke from a fairly vivid dream and I thought about that dream and then went back to sleep. I write about it here for two reasons. One reason is because I remember so clearly the numerical combination '1440' that I saw in the dream and the second reason is because I found this association compelling after I searched through my journal. The most compelling detail about the second reason is because there was a short-lived television series in the United States named "Jericho." I didn't get to watch hardly any of the episodes but I saw enough to understand what it was about and I found that a compelling reason to make this report especially considering the spooky connection to my dreams. Also, this dream happened after I ran through another pointless exercise in my private journal and the thought occurred to me that the point of the pointless exercises is to establish that I, personally, am not the cause of the end of the world.

So as for the dream, I still remember the majority of the details I dreamed about but now I find myself thinking I have forgotten a few details about the ending as well as the start. The part I remember is that I saw a uniformed police officer nearby as I was on a city street and I was holding up my Deputy United States Marshal's badge to identify myself to her. I guess there was a reason I was doing that and then I had walked in the direction she was at and then I noticed that there were other police officers in civilian clothes along with civilians on the street and they seemed to be establishing a perimeter around some kind of small plaza that was in front of me. At some point, I got a shotgun from one of the police officers and another police officer in civilian clothing was identifying me as part of the team of the police force. So I stood around for a while at that plaza, with my Deputy United States Marshal badge suspended on a chain around my neck, and I was still holding the shotgun and at another point I had a flashlight and was examining an alley nearby. There are some other details I have now forgotten but the dream sequence led to the point where it established that there was a bomb in a building on that plaza and that was the reason we established the perimeter. Towards the end of the dream, the bomb technicians brought the bomb out of the building and that was when I clearly saw the '1440' labeled on the side of its silvery chassis. I have been thinking there are other details after that point in the dream and that I had thought about those details after waking up but I can't now recall those details, if any.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jericho

Battle of Jericho

The Battle of Jericho is described in the Bible (Joshua 6:1-27) as the first battle of the Israelites during their conquest of Canaan. According to the narrative, the walls of Jericho fell after Joshua's Israelite army marched around the city blowing their trumpets. According to conventional Bible chronology, this battle would have been in c. 1440 BC.


Spying on Jericho

Before crossing into the land west of the River Jordan, Joshua sent two spies to look over the land. The king of Jericho heard that two Israelite spies were within his city and ordered them to be brought out to him. The spies had to look out for things such as where guards were placed, whether anyone disliked the king and could help them, what weaponry and armour the guards had, when the guards changed shifts, how much food, water, and other supplies the city had, and the height and width of the walls so as to determine how to get over the walls.

The woman the spies were staying with was named Rahab and she protected them by hiding the two men on her roof. She tells them how the citizens of Jericho had been fearful of the Israelites ever since they defeated the Egyptians via the Red Sea miracle (some 40 years prior), and agrees to cover for them on condition that she and her family are spared in the upcoming battle. The spies agree provided three conditions are met: 1) she must distinguish her house from the others so the soldiers will know which one to spare, 2) her family must be inside the house during the battle, and 3) she must not later turn on the spies. Rahab complies with the conditions (hanging a scarlet rope outside her window to distinguish her house).





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Jericho

Battle of Jericho

The Battle of Jericho is described in the Bible (Joshua 6:1-27) as the first battle of the Israelites during their conquest of Canaan. According to the narrative, the walls of Jericho fell after Joshua's Israelite army marched around the city blowing their trumpets. According to conventional Bible chronology, this battle would have been in c. 1440 BC.


The battle of Jericho has become a touchstone of the Bible's reliability as a source for the history of ancient Israel, and Jericho has accordingly been a focus of investigation since the earliest days of archaeology in Palestine. The first scientific investigation was carried out by Charles Warren in 1868, but amounted to no more than a site-survey (Warren's prime interest was in establishing the modern equivalents of Biblical locales).


The battle's historicity is therefore dismissed by modern scholars - archaeologist Bill Dever, for example, has said: [I]f you want a miracle, here's your miracle: Joshua destroyed a city that wasn't even there.