Friday, December 30, 2011

1985: USS Taylor FFG 50 - 1986: Great Lakes Illinois




JOURNAL ARCHIVE: July 26, 2006

I was thinking last night about a memory featured prominently in my symbolic memory. It is of a time in 1985 when I was on the Taylor. It was during that same deployment when I watched the Estocin run aground in Key West. We were traveling along shoulder to shoulder with a Soviet battlegroup that was touring the oil pltform fields off the coast of Texas and Louisiana. During that time, I still worked for the Boatswain's Mates, but I was assigned to a 90-day tour of the mess decks, as all junior crewmen had to complete. I was working every day on the mess decks as a dishwasher. There was three of us in there and I remember one of them telling me "happy birthday". The part of this memory that seems to be operative is that I remember thinking several times that I turned 20 years old in "the Gulf." There seems to be a process there to makes me want to, that forces me to think that it was the Gulf Of Mexico. If I need to be forced to think I was in the Gulf Of Mexico for my 20th birthday, does that mean I needed to forget that I was actually in the Arabian Gulf for my 20th birthday? After I thought about that for a while, a few minutes ago I started wondering if it was actually my 21st birthday that I turned in the Gulf. Then I thought that maybe it was both. Maybe in March 1979 and March 1980, I was in the Arabian Gulf. I don't know why I would be there in '79, other than some kind of midshipman training. In March of 1980, when I would have turned 21, I could have been there in preparation for the attempted hostage rescue, Operation Eagle Claw.


[ JOURNAL ARCHIVE 26 July 2006 excerpt ends ]










http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1985_49722

chron Houston Chronicle Archives


Soviet warships being watched in Gulf

Houston Chronicle News Services

TUE 11/05/1985 HOUSTON CHRONICLE

A U.S. Navy vessel is closely monitoring the movements of two Soviet warships that entered the Gulf of Mexico and came within 40 miles of the Texas coast, the U.S. Navy said.

The USS Taylor, American guidedmissile frigate, has been tracking the Soviet ships - a guided-missile destroyer and a guided-missile frigate - since they left Havana Thursday, said Lt. Cmdr. Craig Quigley, a Navy spokesman in Norfolk, Va.

The Taylor is always "within visual range" of the Soviet vessels that were last reported about 100 miles southwest of Tampa, Fla., and moving in a southeasterly direction, possibly toward Cuba, said Quigley.

However, there was no way to determine whether the Soviet warships were preparing to leave the Gulf and return to Havana. "They can always change rudder at a moment's notice," he said.

The destroyer and frigate - part of a larger group of four Soviet ships that entered the Caribbean in September - entered the Gulf Thursday, Quigley said. The vessels always remained within international waters, he said.

The Navy took pictures of the two Soviet ships Saturday when a P-3 maritime patrol and anti-submarine warfare aircraft flew over the ships about 40 miles southeast of the Houston-Galveston area.

"That's international waters," Quigley said. "They've never come closer than 20 miles to our shore."










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: August 5, 2006


I started school in Orlando, I think, in February 1986 and finished in Dam Neck, VA, sometime around July 1987. That has got to mean something.

Maybe this is it actually. The dates match with my memory of leaving the Taylor in Maine for BE/E in Orlando. I remember it was snowing when I left Portland and about 36 to 48 hours later, I was driving down the beach at Daytona, still wearing a plaid flannel shirt with thermal underwear while people were sunbathing in the warm sun. Those are some good memories.


[ JOURNAL ARCHIVE 05 August 2006 excerpt ends ]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 7:20 AM Tuesday, July 19, 2011


I was stationed aboard the United States Navy guided-missile frigate USS Taylor FFG 50 from about 19 December 1984 to sometime in January 1986. I don't recall precisely when I departed the ship for my assignment to Basic Electricity and Electronics School in Orlando Florida, for my second assignment to that school, but I think I left the Taylor in January 1984 and I feel certain that is correct. I left the ship when it was back in the shipyards in Bath Maine.

So anyway, before I left, and sometime during my assignment to the FFG 50, I worked in the Ship's Control department and I was a non-rated Seaman and I was supervised by the Boatswain Mates of that department and there was a large group of other non-rated sailors such as myself who worked for the Boatswain Mates.

Among that group of my peers was a United States Navy sailor who, the story goes, was formerly a sailor of Her Majesty's Royal Navy from England. He had served in Her Majesty's Royal Navy, the story I heard goes, and then he signed up for the United States Navy and there he was working in the same department as I on the United States Navy guided-missile frigate USS Taylor FFG 50.

One day, I do not recall the precise day, we were walking up the gangplank, or brow, onto the ship, from the pier. That was probably a day in the summer of 1985. I do not recall the precise day and since I watched the scene referenced below I have thought again, as I have before, that day could have been the summer of 1985. I was promoted to Petty Officer sometime in the latter half of 1985 and I was still working out of the Ship's Control department even though I was a Fire Controlman 3rd Class Petty Officer, so I am certain that incident would have been before I was promoted, so that makes it sometime probably in the summer of 1985 or earlier but not much earlier. I did not even watch that 3 July 1985 film "Back to the Future" until some time in 1986, as best I can recall. As best I can recall, the first time I saw that film was in the barracks lounge of the Fire Controlman barracks when I was attending Fire Controlman Class A school in Great Lakes Illinois. I can visualize myself sitting there in that lounge as it was on the television. I wondered about the probability of that film being on broadcast television that soon, about a year later, and so that is possible, but then I started to wonder if that lounge in that United States Navy barracks had the HBO cable television service available. I don't recall. But I feel certain that is where I saw it. I think I was aware of it being in the theatres in 1985 but, I have thought this morning, I thought the advertisements I saw for it seemed stupid and that might be why I didn't go out of my way to see it in the theatre. Also, we might have been out to sea when it was in the theatre and we were gone for a while in the summer of 1985 and we made a lot, it seemed, of short deployments off the coast of the United States including what seemed to be a deployment down to Key West Florida for what seemed to be forever. We weren't gone long enough to earn the Sea Service Deployment Ribbon so we weren't gone that long. I have thought to myself this morning about how I might not have seen it in the theatres because it seemed stupid and that seems more relevant because I think of that in the context of how I thought after I did watch it the first time that it was not really that stupid after all and I did really enjoy watching it.

Anyway again, there was that day walking up the brow and that sailor who was supposedly a former Royal Navy sailor. I don't know if that was true but he did present a convincing personality of a British person. He was walking ahead of me that day on the brow and I started to kick him in the rear as he was walking ahead of the brow in front of me. I wasn't kicking him very hard and I wasn't trying to but any person watching me anywhere, on the ship or on the pier or any other place who could see me, including him because he turned around every time I kicked him, could clearly see that I was kicking him in the rear as we walked up the brow.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088763/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Back to the Future (1985)


Dr. Emmett Brown: Which one's your pop?

Marty McFly: [points him out] That's him.

[they see him getting kicked around by other school bullies]

George McFly: [has a 'kick me' sign on his back] Okay. Okay you guys. Ah-ha-ha-ha, very funny. You guys are being real mature.

Dr. Emmett Brown: Maybe you were adopted.










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/B/Back_To_The_Future_3.html


Back To The Future 3


It's a very interesting story, future boy...
...but there's one thing that doesn't make sense.
If the me of the future is now in the past, how could you possibly know about it?


[ JOURNAL ARCHIVE 19 July 2011 excerpt ends ]










[ George Bush the active felon fugitive from United States of America federal justice and the cowardly violent criminal and the Severely Treasonous agent of Communist China and the Soviet Union violently against the United States federal government and the International War Criminal violently against the United States of America federal government & Bill Gates-Microsoft-Corbis-Nazi the cowardly International Terrorist Organization violently against the United States federal government actively instigate insurrection and subversive activity against the United States federal government with all Bill Gates-Microsoft-Corbis-Nazi & George Bush staff partners contributors employees contractors lawyers managers of any capacity as severely treasonous criminal accomplices and that are active unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States that actively make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in the United States and in the Severely Treasonous and Criminally Rebellious State of Washington by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings ]


http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/T/Top_Gun.html


Top Gun


Fitness report says it all.|He's a wild card.
Completely unpredictable.
- He got you, didn't he?|- Yeah.
Maverick. I flew with his old man.
Tell me, if you had to go into battle,|would you want him with you?
I just don't know.










From 8/10/1984 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - premiere US film "Red Dawn" ) To 5/9/1985 ( while he was averting the Soviet Union Tupolev Tu-22M Backfire maritime bomber force targeting for destruction his US Navy aircraft carrier United States Navy Fleet Admiral Thomas Reagan was the United States Navy F-14 Tomcat pilot that was attacked by hostile Soviet Union air forces and his United States Navy RIO flight officer crewman is killed by enemy fire from Soviet Union forces and as instigated by Bill Gates-Microsoft-George Bush the known active participant of communist China and Soviet Union and the International Terrorist Organization violently against the United States of America ) is 272 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/1/1966 ( the Charles Whitman massacre ) is 272 days



From 8/10/1984 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - premiere US film "Red Dawn" ) To 8/4/1985 ( Joseph Wayne Burgess - the foster father of Kerry Wayne Burgess - deceased ) is 359 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 10/27/1966 ( premiere US TV movie "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" ) is 359 days



From 2/6/1945 ( Bob Marley ) To 8/10/1984 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - premiere US film "Red Dawn" ) is 14430 days

14430 = 7215 + 7215

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/4/1985 ( Joseph Wayne Burgess - the foster father of Kerry Wayne Burgess - deceased ) is 7215 days





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Release dates for

Red Dawn (1984)

Country Date

USA 10 August 1984





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086856/releaseinfo

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Release dates for

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (1984)

Country Date

USA 10 August 1984 (limited)










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099810/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

The Hunt for Red October (1990) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Capt. Bart Mancuso: [Ramius comments in Russian to Borodin that Mancuso is a "buckaroo". Ryan laughs] What's so funny?

Jack Ryan: Ah, the Captain seems to think you're some kind of... cowboy.

Captain Ramius: [in Russian] You speak Russian.

Jack Ryan: [in Russian] A little. It is wise to study the ways of ones adversary. Don't you think?

Captain Ramius: [in English] It is.










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/T/Top_Gun.html


Top Gun [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


- And he's laughing at us on the radio.|- That was me, dickhead. We won.
- All right!|- They won too, man.
- That's not what I heard.|- We got Jester.
- Below the hard-deck doesn't count.|- We nailed that son of a bitch.
- You guys really are cowboys.|- What's your problem, Kazansky?.
You're everyone's problem.|Every time you fly, you're unsafe.
- I don't like you. You're dangerous.|- That's right, Iceman.
I am dangerous.










http://movie.subtitlr.com/subtitle/show/527340


Quigley Down Under (1990) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


- What the bloody hell is it? - Redcoats.
Mr. Ashley-Bloody-Pitt and his heroes.
- Friends of yours? - They're British.
- Get that away from my team! - Why are you taking the body back?
We've got orders to bring in all suspected cattle thieves.
- Bugger's dead. - The trial will not be lengthy.
- Carry on, Sergeant. - We're looking for two deserters.
- Can't say I blame 'em. - Have you seen 'em?
No.
New distractions, eh? Who's this chap on the back here?
- The Yank Marston's brought out. - Yank, eh?
Come to do for Marston what these bog-Irish convicts obviously can't.
You just do your job and stay out of trouble.
In our experience, Americans are uncouth misfits
who have been run out of their own barbaric country.
- Well, Lieutenant... - Major!
Major, we already run the misfits out of our country.
We sent 'em back to England










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/T/Top_Gun.html


Top Gun


Remember, no points for second place.
- You're a lot brighter than you look.|- You shut up.
Two of your snot-nosed jockeys flew by|by at over 400 knots. I want their butts!
Damn it, that's twice.|I want some butts!
- That just about covers the fly-bys.|- Follow me.
Gentlemen. You had a hell of a first day.
The hard-deck for this hop was|10,000 feet. You knew it. You broke it.
You followed Commander Heatherly|below after he lost sight of you. Why?.
Sir, I had him in my sights.|He saw me move in for the kill.
He proceeded below the hard-deck.|We were below forjust a few seconds.
I had the shot.|There was no danger, so I took it.
You took it,|and broke a major rule of engagement.
Then you broke another one|with that circus stunt fly-by.
Top Gun rules of engagement exist|for your safety and for that of your team.
They're not flexible, nor am I. Obey them|or you're history. Is that clear?.
Yes, sir!
Dismissed.
I really enjoyed that, Mav,|thanks a lot. Holy shit.
Maybe I could be a truck driver. You got|the number of that truck-driving school?
Fitness report says it all.|He's a wild card.
Completely unpredictable.
- He got you, didn't he?|- Yeah.
Maverick. I flew with his old man.
Tell me, if you had to go into battle,|would you want him with you?
I just don't know.
- Still awake?|- Yeah.
- What's up?|- I can't sleep.
When I realised we were off to Top Gun,|all I could think about was that trophy.
I've got to be straight with you, Mav.|Right now, I just hope we graduate.
I got a family to think about.|I can't afford to blow this.
I guess that fly-by|wasn't such a big hit, huh?
I know it's tough. The Academy rejected|you because you're Duke Mitchell's kid.
You have to live with that reputation.|But it's like you're flying against a ghost.