Sunday, March 25, 2012

Apparently most of the deer as well.




JOURNAL ARCHIVE: May 2006


They examined my most memorable experiences and determined which features made the most impression, or imprint to my mind. Then, they substituted other events, possibly even real experiences, with those other events. The most memorable event was hitting that 9 point with my 35-caliber. I was standing there at my assigned spot listening to the dogs barking, knowing that something was going to happen in front of me. Micheal was off to my left a pretty good ways. I remember worrying a lot about that later because I remember thinking how stupid we were for not establishing rules on what to do if a deer jumped out in between us which was very likely. We were on that underground natural gas pipeline and I wasn't too far from where I got my red Ford stuck that time, although that incident happened much later I think. That corridor through the trees represents a specific place or maybe it symbolizes certain conditions or circumstances. Anyway, the 9 point glided in to my view from the right and then just stopped in front of me. I fired three times at it but missed. I'm not sure if those missed rounds actually represent misses or if it represents lack of discipline during combat. For the fourth round, I gave up on using the scope, which was unnecessary really, and switched to iron sights and nailed it. It jumped up slightly into the air and then dropped, shifted, a little bit to my left.


[ JOURNAL ARCHIVE May 2006 excerpt ends]