Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I used to be pretty good at this.




I was getting out of the shower and I suddenly started to remember a port visit we made to Barbados in 1989. I was trying to remember precisely what time of year we made that port visit; rather if the time of year was before or after 19 July 1989. I am not even certain if that was late 1988 or 1989 but I think the latter. I don't recall for certain. The reasons I cannot recall are because of the nature of the cruise. Sometime after Hurricane Hugo hit Charleston South Carolina, I recall, we on the USS Wainwright CG 28 left for a routine deployment to the Mediterranean Sea.

The reason we were in the Caribbean was to work at the naval station in Puerto Rico. So that might have been around the time of 19 July 1989. We went to Puerto Rico, as best I recall, to certify our missile system for the deployment to the Med. I was a technician for the guided-missile computer system on the ship.

So the relevant detail about this observation is that we met a group of girls from Britain in Barbados. I don't think I actually met them first. Someone else I was on liberty with in port met them and told me about meeting them and asked me to meet with them again later on liberty, the way I recall it all now. The same thing happened later when we were deployed to the Med and we were in my favorite port Palma Majorca over the Christmas and New Years holidays. Someone told me about a group of girls from Britain they met and they were meeting them again at a Scottish bar later and I should come with them. They were in town about as long as we were and I remember seeing them often during those two weeks or so we were in port in Palma. They were, he told me, flight attendants.

On some whim, for reasons I cannot recall, as we sat there in this really cool open-air bar on the beach in Barbados, I decided that my buddies and I should conspire to pretend to those girls from England that we were civilians who worked for the US Navy. I got my inspiration from civilians who worked with us sometimes on the ship, especially when we had a computer system problem we could not get fixed by ourselves. I think we called them Tech-rep's.

So that was the conspiracy I proposed; we aren't sailors but we are civilians who work on the ship for the Navy. One of my buddies went along with me on it and maybe another. I remember at least one of the other guys who wasn't going to go along with it. I think he was one of the guys who arrived on the ship after we came back from the Persian Gulf.

How convincing I was I have no idea but I never did tell them the truth. One of my buddies told me he kept in contact with one of the girls and he later told her the truth.

I remember they were cute and I was sitting alone on the beach at night with one of them and we were sitting close and then suddenly the whole group came rushing out on the beach and spoiled the moment, if there even was a moment.

One of the other girls was cute with her pretty black hair but she had a bad sunburn on her chest. She and I were dancing in a bar there in Barbados one of those nights on liberty and she was telling me how sad she was because she had recently broken up with her boyfriend and she knew I could understand because I must have told her earlier about my girlfriend and I breaking up after I came back from the Persian Gulf in 1988.

I was thinking about that again because I was thinking again about the track of the Hurricane Hugo in 1989. I am looking now again at an image that shows the storm track and I see that for a while, from the track plots off the coast of Africa to just about halfway across the Atlantic moving towards the west, the track is pointed almost straight at the island of Barbados. Then it turns and makes almost a straight line for the island of Puerto Rico.

We were in Puerto Rico for a while. I remember meeting a woman there who told me she worked outside the base as an undercover police officer. She might have been married to a sailor and that was how she could travel back and forth onto the US Navy base. We were at a club somewhere around there and we went back to her car one night but by that time curfew was approaching and I had to get back to the ship so she drove me back, to my disappointment. My buddy stayed in the car in the backseat with her friend and I remember walking onto the quarterdeck of the ship to checkin and I turned and she was driving away from the pier and the passenger door I had got out of flew open as she made a fast getaway with my buddy still in the backseat with her friend. He must have come back soon afterwards but I don't recall what he told me or who that even was. We made more than one port-call there at Roosevelt Roads and I saw her again in that bar and I was sitting in there and she had a waitress send me over a beer. Maybe that was the time she drove me back to the ship. I don't recall precisely. I was still living in that apartment offbase in Charleston South Carolina after that, I do recall, because she called me and left a message. I had that apartment until Hurricane Hugo hit. I remember if I had left my pickup truck parked there at my apartment instead of leaving it parked near the piers on the navy base in Charleston then it would not have been destroyed by the flood from the Hurricane.

So the flood is something that is hard to explain. I thought maybe the data for the tracks of the hurricane could be faked and maybe that is still true.

Asking anyone in Fukushima is that flood could be faked is the same as me asking anyone who stayed in Charleston if that hurricane was faked would get about the same result. I was in neither place. I left with the USS Wainwright CG 28 when it evacuated the port in advance of the hurricane.

The data could be faked about the impact of Hurricane Hugo at Charleston Harbor but so what? It was close enough. I can still recall standing there on the bridge of the USS Wainwright CG as we returned to port days after the hurricane and I saw a huge bridge spanning a small tributary river and that was twisted out of shape.

So that was 21- and 22 September 1989 when Hurricane Hugo struck Charleston.

Was that cruise we made to Barbados and Puerto Rico before 19 July 1989 or after? I don't recall. That was the only time I can recall trying to pretend I was someone else to new people.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092834/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

Date with an Angel (1987)


Patty Winston: He hit me daddy! And then he kicked me in my hiney!










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 5:45 PM Friday, January 21, 2011


Duncan Street





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068699/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

High Plains Drifter (1973)


Sarah Belding: They say the dead don't rest without a marker of some kind.










The point where Duncan Street ends in Greenville South Carolina at the BB&T building is where I always, in the context of the my artificial memory, parked my car when I returned to my office during my duties as a Field Engineer when we provided information technology for the primary tenant of that midrise building.

Looking at it from the corner of the intersection of College and Academy that is definitely the building I remember where First Federal Savings and Loan was located.

I "remember" that the library was close to the First Federal building but I cannot "remember" where it was specifically although I "remember" going over there before. The map indicates that block has buildings for the Upcountry History Museum and the Greenville Little Theatre and the Greenville County Museum of Art are also located on that block. The current map indicates that the library is bordered by Atwood and Marshall streets and Atwood changes into Butler on the southwest side of that block and that makes me think of the 1994 film "Star Trek Generations."

During the time I "remember" working out of that midrise building, I lived in a suburb named Taylors and about seven miles away on a street named Wexford.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 21 January 2011 excerpt ends]










[ Bill Gates-Microsoft-Corbis-Nazi the cowardly International Terrorist Organization violently against the United States of America actively instigate insurrection and subversive activity against the United States of America with all Bill Gates-Microsoft-Corbis-Nazi staff partners contributors employees contractors lawyers managers of any capacity as severely treasonous criminal accomplices and that are active unlawful obstructions, combinations, or assemblages, or rebellion against the authority of the United States that actively make it impracticable to enforce the laws of the United States in the United States and in the Severely Treasonous and Criminally Rebellious State of Washington by the ordinary course of judicial proceedings ]


1980 film "The Final Countdown" DVD movie:


US Navy radio operator: All right, whoever the hell you are use of military frequencies by unauthorized personnel is a felony.

Samuel S. Chapman - United States Senator: Now just a minute here, sir.

US Navy radio operator: As we have no aircraft carrier Nimitz and no Captain Yelland I suggest asshole, that you stop impersonating some other asshole and get off the air. You're wasting our time.

Samuel S. Chapman - United States Senator: How dare you talk to me that way! Captain, tell him who you are. Speak to them! You, what are doing here? You're a civilian.

Warren Lasky: Yes, sir, I'm with the Department of Def- I mean, the Navy Department, sir.

Samuel S. Chapman - United States Senator: Well, that's more like it. What's going on here?

Warren Lasky: I'm afraid I'm just an observer here, sir. I couldn't tell you anything more than you already know.

Samuel S. Chapman - United States Senator: What's happening here? Who are you people?










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roosevelt_Roads_Naval_Station


Roosevelt Roads Naval Station

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Roosevelt Roads Naval Station is a former United States military air base in the town of Ceiba, Puerto Rico.



http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/roosevelt-roads.htm


GlobalSecurity.org


Roosevelt Roads Naval Station

Roosevelt Roads Naval Station is located in the eastern part of Puerto Rico in the town of Ceiba.


The station was first commissioned as a U. S. Naval Operations Base in 1943. The newly constructed naval operating base was to become the keystone of the Caribbean Defense System with a well-protected anchorage, a major air station and an industrial establishment capable of supporting 60 percent of the Atlantic Fleet under wartime conditions. There were even rumors that if the British Empire ever fell to Axis powers, Roosevelt Roads would become the new operating base for the British Fleet.

But by 1943, it was clear that with Allied Operations focusing on Europe and the Pacific, a major defense hub on the island would be unnecessary. Construction on the base was halted, and in March of 1944, Naval Operating Base Roosevelt Roads was put in a maintenance status with a Public Works Officer, a small detachment of Seabees and a large civilian workforce. Over the next 14 years, the base closed seven times and was reopened eight.

In 1957 it was redesignated as a Naval Station. It has grown over the years to include acquisition of the Army's Fort Bundy which now comprises the southern portion of the Naval Station and an additional 29,000 acres of land on Vieques Island. Presently, various naval facilities are spread over the entire eight thousand acres which comprises the Naval Station complex. Naval Station Roosevelt Roads continues to be a major training site for fleet exercises.










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/P/Patriot.html

Patriot


[ FIRST LINES ]


I have long feared...
...that my sins would return to visit me.
And the cost is more than I can bear.
Samuel! A postrider!