Tuesday, March 08, 2016

"At first he’d felt self-conscious, sure that the neighbors must be tapping their foreheads and rolling their eyes"





























2016_Nk20_DSCN1194.jpg










http://www.marathonguide.com/features/RaceReports/Dolphin/560031221_ChristmasMarathon2003.cfm

MARATHON guide.com


Christmas Marathon

December 21, 2003

Race Report by Bob Dolphin

One souvenir that I brought back from Hawaii that I didn't need was a head cold. As I sat around the house the day before the Christmas Marathon filling up a trash basket with Kleenex, the prospect of running a marathon the next day seemed formidable. I knew what my running medical books would advise, so I didn't check them out.

The marathons were only a week apart, but there was quite a contrast between the start of the Honolulu Marathon on December 14, 2003, and the start of the Christmas Marathon at 10:00 a.m. on December 21, 2003. At Honolulu it was dark and warm as thousands of runners, mostly Japanese, filled up a major avenue for blocks. There were bands and an emcee talking constantly into a public address system making it too noisy for conversations.....if you found anyone to talk with. The starting area was well lit, and at 5:00 a.m. it was became brighter as a 5 minute fireworks display started the mass of runners on their way.

By contrast, at a parking lot at Millersylvania State Park about 200 runners gathered for the marathon/half marathon start. It was daylight and cool. Bob Green, the race director, called out directions and during lulls in the announcements, the many friends on hand had time to visit with one an other and compare marathoning news. When Bob counted down to start the race, everyone crossed the starting line in less than a minute, and we were off with the same degree of excitement as I had seen in Honolulu.

Once the race started, I felt fine, but my pace was running about a minute per mile slower than usual. (How slow can you go??) The weather was ideal.....overcast and calm with the temperature in the 40's and some sun in the later miles. I ran with runners around me in the early miles until the half-marathon turn-around. Apparently, all of these runners were half-marathoners, and I continued alone on a flat, rural road. The nearest marathoner was almost out of sight. (I didn't see anyone behind me either!)

Eventually, by the 10th mile I started seeing runners again, but they were coming toward me on the out-and-back section. They were the early starters and the race leaders. Then most of the marathon field went by me heading for home while I was still looking for the turn-around. I felt fine at the finish line, but my time of 4:44:48 was slow. My position of 67th of 78 finishers put me in the "back of the pack."

I was somewhat surprised to see a woman running with the front runners. She was Alisa Scudmore, 28, of Portland, Oregon, who was second overall with a great 3:03:53.

In the finish area I enjoyed visiting with friends Herb Allen, Bob Green, Ron Fowler, Greg Judge, Jim Kunz, Jim Scheer and Christopher Warren, an original "marathon maniac".....(see www.marathonmaniac.com).

Lenore did multiple functions at the finish line, and I met a number of runners because of her friendly nature. She introduced me to the marathon winner, Dennis Markus, 35, of Puyallup. He had a commanding lead when I saw him on the race course, and he finished in 2:53:36. While warming up at the shelter stove, I enjoyed visiting with Dave Hamel, 44, a Master Sergeant from Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama. He's a 50 Stater who came to the marathon to add "Washington" as a state. At the starting line I had talked with three runners from New York who were there fo r the same reason as Dave. They finished close together with times of 3:44:31 to 3:45:22.

When I returned home, I checked the late George Sheehan's excellent book titled, "Medical Advice for Runners." I looked up his section on "Colds" and found that he recommends taking three days off from running. That sounded good.....so that's the medical advice that I've adopted! It's always fun to run one of Bob Green's races. Everyone goes home content with the finisher's medals and trophies, colorful shirts, hot food and drinks, and memories of good fellowship at the heated picnic shelter. The Valentine Marathon and the Easter Marathon were the other two of his that I ran this year. I plan to run as many of his marathons as I can in 2004.

Written by Bob Dolphin

My Statistics for 2003:

22 marathons......finishing at a total of 329. Consecutive Races......From 1984 until now, Seattle Marathon; from 1985, Frosty 4-Miler (Yakima), Capital City Marathon (Olympia), Portland Marathon; from 1987, Hood to Coast Relay.

Christmas Marathon, Half-Marathon

10K, 5K & 1 Mile December 21, 2003

Olympia, WA Partly Sunny 50 Degrees

243 Finishers

Marathon Males Overall

1. Dennis Markus 35 Puyallup 2:53:36
2. Sterling Barnes 39 Seattle 3:06:28
3. Quentin Phillips 47 Vancouver 3:08:36
4. Brett Sanford 19 Port Townsend 3:13:49
5. Greg Walchi 41 Seattle 3:14:52
6. Norm Flemington 42 Whiterock, BC 3:15:46
7. Tony Phillippi 42 Tacoma 3:16:13
8. Joseph Griffin 43 Portland, OR 3:19:08
9. Brian Davies 34 Andorray 3:19:38
10. Jim Santora 38 New Canaan, CT 3:21:32
11. Russ Manies 46 Wilsonville, OR 3:24:20
12. Walter Haugland 24 Seattle 3:26:42
13. Terry Shelton 52 Madison, WI 3:27:44
14. Pete Trump 49 Seattle 3:28:27
15. Michael McNault 33 Seattle 3:28:45
16. Tony Covarrubias 43 Seattle 3:30:37
17. Richard Wire 37 Bonney Lake 3:30:44
18. Julian Buick 31 Seattle 3:33:38
19. Keith Senzel 32 Seattle 3:34:19
20. David Jones 57 Seattle 3:35:09
21. Jeff Zobrist 41 Albany, OR 3:35:19
22. Daniel Schifflbein 42 Kent 3:36:58
23. Tim Cary 31 Pendleton, OR 3:37:05
24. Alan Chaffee 38 Maple Valley 3:38:08
25. Ron Fowler 56 Seattle 3:38:23
26. Charles Parker 24 Corvallis, OR 3:40:52
27. Jeff Mordos 46 New York, NY 3:44:31
28. Elliot Riveria 35 New York, NY 3:45:07
29. James Mcleod 43 Mamaroneck, NY 3:45:22
30. Gene Morris 57 Seattle 3:46:12
31. Leonard Feldmen 38 Seattle 3:46:18
32. Max Wakefield 26 Eugene, OR 3:47:49
33. Gregory Judge 55 Renton 3:54:40
34. Charles Mills 24 Seattle 3:55:02
35. James Sheer 61 Vancouver 3:55:15
36. Ryan Woodley 31 Puyallup 3:56:38
37. Greg Pelton 42 Silverdale 3:58:19
38. Greg Thomas 32 Redmond 4:03:44
39. Craig Hopp 32 Mill Creek 4:03:44
40. Scott Gardner 41 Wyoming, MN 4:04:53
41. Bill Steick 59 Oak Park, IL 4:08:51
42. Aaron Trimble 33 Edmonton, AB 4:12:52
43. Thomas Coulas 43 Edmnonton, AB 4:12:52
44. Jim Kunz 55 Seattle 4:13:34
45. Curt Shaw 37 Tigard, OR 4:15:25
46. Peter Voiles 25 Sumner 4:17:58
47. Herb Allen 61 Bainbridge Is. 4:19:42
48. Jim Cadnum 57 Bonners Ferry, ID 4:24:46
49. Albarta Chistopher 35 Everett 4:27:38
50. William LeBarge 42 Whitehorse, YT 4:36:15
51. Alexander Cardin 25 Shreveport, La 4:40:49
52. Bill Rex 63 Geneva, IL 4:41:56
53. David Hamel 44 Montgomery AL 4:42:59
54. Bob Dolphin 74 Renton 4:44:48
55. Phillip Walchi 45 Hermiston, OR 4:55:20
56. Richard Andrews 60 Mukilteo 4:58:47
57. Bill Daha 38 Seattle 4:59:35
58. Kerry Burgess 38 Redmond 5:28:18
59. Alan Steggles 65 Ravenna, OH 6:16:06










http://www.marathonguide.com/features/RaceReports/Dolphin/560021222_ChristmasMarathon2002.cfm

MARATHON guide.com


Christmas Marathon

December 22, 2002

Race Report by Bob Dolphin

Running the Christmas Marathon and its associated half marathon and 5K races is becoming a growing holiday tradition in the Pacific Northwest. This year on December 22, 2002, the number increased to 250 participants with 102 finishers of 105 starters in the marathon. Bob Green, the race director, does a good job of organizing the three events which start and finish in Millersylvania State Park south of Olympia, WA.

Using the same out-and-back course for the three races and with aid stations spaced every one and a half to two miles, there is maximum use of the aid resources and available volunteers. My wife Lenore was a busy volunteer helping with late registration and working at the finish line for the three races.

As I neared the I-5 overpass in my 11th mile, I saw Dan Salazar going in the opposite direction. He was leading a group of strong front-runners. Unfortunately, Dan developed leg cramps and dropped back to finish in 4th position. The eventual winner was Paul Skarsgard, 38, of Richmond, BC, with a time of 2:52:12 coming in only two seconds ahead of Luigi Buffone, 41, of Crete, IL (2:52:14). In third and fourth were Jeff Riley, 33, of Coburg, OR (2:56:49) and Dan Salazar, 37, of Tacoma (2:59:13).

The women's winner was Stephanie Beckett, 29, of Sammamish with a 3:32:50. In second and third were Linda Williams, 44, of Abbotsford, BC (3:37:41) and Summer Hamide, 21, of Camas, WA (3:38:23).

On the course I admired a runner's tyvek jacket that had "Runners of Compassion" written on the back in bold letters. I asked Bryan Schurbach of Victoria, BC, about the significance, and he told me that Rob Reid, race director of the Royal Victoria Marathon gave that name to his running charity organization. During the year the group hosts a number of races in which the proceeds go to a dozen or more worthy charities. This certainly is commendable. To learn more about the Runners of Compassion see www.runnersofcompassion.com.

As I was going to the starting area before the race I was a bit surprised to see someone wearing Texas shorts....that is a lone white star on the blue portion of the red, white and blue colors. He introduced himself as John Ellis, 55, of Houston, TX, and said that he and his wife Esther had run the YAKIMA RIVER CANYON MARATHON on April 6, 2002. They visit their daughter periodically at Vancouver, WA, and run races in Oregon and Washington while they are here.

The four Lust sisters from Yakima, WA, and New Hampshire ran the half marathon. They are Nancy, Teresa, Mary and Eva. They talked to me briefly in the second mile of the combined field before they ran on and out of sight.

It is said that you are only as good as your last race. The previous week with a time just under five hours at the Birch Bay Marathon, I had finished in 19th (and last) position. I hoped to redeem myself at the Christmas Marathon. I had my long training run (Birch Bay), and the weather was favorable with the temperature in the 50's and breezes of about 5 mph. I felt fine....no injuries or cramps....and my pace was fairly constant. When I reached the halfway mark in 2:03:14, I doubled the figure and added ten minutes to project my finishing time at 4:16:30. The last five miles on a rolling state highway was a bit of a struggle, but that's the wall that always awaits. I crossed the finish line at the picnic shelter in the park with a 4:15:17, in 43rd position of 102 finishers and first in the 70+M division. I had a good race and felt redeemed by being in mid-field again.

Herb Allen, a long time friend from Bainbridge Island, WA, ran the marathon saying that he did so at my suggestion. Herb got his money's worth. He missed a turn in the 17th mile and ran an extra mile or so, thereby, running his first ultra-marathon! He still had a good time of 4:14:16 and was first in the 60-64M division. Way to go, Herb!

At times, Lenore and I witness emotional moments at the finish line. We noticed that a middled-aged man started to cry after he crossed the finish line. As she took his bib tag, Lenore asked him if it was his first marathon. When he replied in the affirmative, she congratulated him and gave him a hug before adivisng those in the immediate area of the good news. We then gathered around him to shake his hand and to congratulate him on this accomplishment. What a wonderful Christmas present he gave himself....running his first marathon at the Christmas Marathon. I'm sure he'll always have pleasant memories of this day.

We saw many friends before, during, and after the race. Their names are included in the partial results that follow.

Written by Bob Dolphin










http://www.marathonguide.com/features/RaceReports/Dolphin/1597030209_ValentineMarathon2003.cfm

MARATHON guide.com


Valentine Marathon February 9, 2003

Race Report by Bob Dolphin

On December 22, 2002, I ran the Christmas Marathon which starts and finishes at Millersylvania State Park near Olympia, Washington. Seven weeks later on Feburary 9, 2003, I was back to run the Valentine Marathon on the same out-and-back course through forest and rural settings. It is deja vu all over again, especially since I ran the same course for the Easter Marathon earlier in 2002 on April 20th. With outings in previous years here, it adds up to my being thoroughly familiar with this course, and I enjoy running it one to three times per year.

Bob Green, the race director, does a marvelous job of running these three holiday events plus the Halloween Marathon (yes, the same place!).....and the Puget Sound Marathon at nearby Elma, WA. The Valentine event was typical as Bob offered the marathon, a half marathon, a 5K and a 1 miler. The weather was good for running....temperature in the 40's, overcast skies (except for a few miles) and infrequent 15 mph winds.

There were many friends on hand, and most were from the Pacific Northwest. Fenny Roberts, 50, (4:50:24) from Salem, Oregon, took an early start with Jim Scheer, 60, (4:50:25) of Vancouver, and Larry Brown, 63, 5:16:28), also of Salem. Davey Jones, 57, (3:34:59), Jim Kunz, 54, (3:57:42), Ron Fowler, 55, (3:34:49), and Jon Gissberg, 59, (5:09:45) came from the Seattle area. Ron had run a windy and cold Las Vegas Marathon the previous weekend and was ready for more tolerable race conditions.

There were a number of 50 Staters on hand. Bill Sweetay, 60, (4:21:12) from Union, Kentucky, was running his 33rd marathon to complete a race in his 30th state. He is well on his way toward completing all of the states and DC.

John Bozung, 49, (4:35:34) a 50 Stater from Orem, Utah, has a remarkable record of having run a marathon a month since October 1993. He hopes to break the national record some day, but he'll have to keep his string (now at 113 months) going until 2012. Lenore and I met John at the Portland Race Directors Conference several years ago and have seen him at a number of marathons since then. His record is legendary. He is the first American to have run marathons on all seven continents in one year, and he is a "State Finisher." He is a member of the 50 States and DC Marathon Group, the 50 States Marathon Club, and of the 100 Marathon Club North America. He has a marathon PR of 2:52:03 and a total of 155+ marathons/ultras. In addition, John is the race director of the Squaw Peak 50 Mile Trail Run in Provo, Utah.

Jon Gissberg of Seattle (and Alaska) has upped his goal from one marathon per year to one marathon per month! His January marathon was in Southern California. February brought him to the Valentine Marathon, and March will take him to the St. Patricks Marathon in Elma. Then on April 5th, he will run the YAKIMA RIVER CANYON MARATHON.

A nice feature of this course is that it is an out-and-back marathon where one sees the whole field near the turn-around.....those in front and those behind. In my eleventh mile, Kevin Andras, the eventual winner, ran by. Kevin, 36, of Mukilteo, WA, ran a 2:56:14 and was followed by Quentin Philips, 46, of Vancouver, WA (3:15:29) and Larry Harding, Jr., 39, of Arrada, WA (3:20:26).

The women's division winner, in third place overall, was Connie Ridenour, 44, of Spokane who ran a swift 3:18:44. The second and third place women were Kate Law, 25, of Everett, WA (3:21:42) and Lynne Butler, 46, of Seattle (3:48:43).

After the 1/4 marathon mark the field thinned out quite a bit as the half marathoners turned back. My run was going about the way it usually does these days, and I ran a 2:05 half marathon. However, it took me 2:30 to run the second half as I finished with a 4:35:26, 39th of 51 finishers and first 70+ male.

Judy Fisher, 59, our friend from Auburn, WA, ran the half marathon in a time of 1:51:18 to finish first in the 55-59F division. She finished ahead of all women over the age of 42. Way to go, Judy!

I'm looking forward to returning to Millersylvania State Park on April 19, 2003, to run the Easter Marathon.

Written by Bob Dolphin










http://www.marathonguide.com/features/RaceReports/Dolphin/474031130_SeattleMarathon2003.cfm

MARATHON guide.com


Seattle Marathon

November 30, 2003

Race Report by Bob Dolphin

The 2003 Seattle Marathon had been my goal as a milestone for several years, and I was happy to run it on November 30, 2003.....along with 2,325 others. This marathon was my 20th consecutive Seattle Marathon since I moved to Yakima, Washington, in 1984. By then I had run 23 marathons, mostly in the mid-west while living in Columbia, Missouri, and Nevada, Iowa.

The Seatte Marathon of November 25, 1984, was my first marathon in my new (and last) state. The course at that time was a double out-and-back with loops around Seward Park, the start/finish area. We ran north twice along Lake Washington (as we do now) to a turn-around beyond Leschi with returns to Seward Park. I ran a 3:20:49 the first year and a 3:09:41 the second year.

Then the marathon was relocated to Marymoor Park in Redmond, WA, for the start of a point-to-point course. It ran along the Sammamish River Trail and the Burke-Gilman Trail by the Lake Washington shore to finish near the University of Washington in Seattle. While not as scenic as the present course, it was FAST.

I ran a 3:07:13 on that course when I was 60 years old. It was my best time ever at a Seattle Marathon. My times really slowed down when the present course was adopted. The hill climb from Lake Washington to the Seattle Center and the Space Needle in the last 10 miles takes a toll on my aging body. However, I like meeting the challenge of finding my way to the finish in Memorial Stadium each year. The course provides a good sampling of what Seattle has to offer.

Leaving the Space Needle area at the start, we run through downtown Seattle and then onto a ramp of I-90. After running through the Mt. Baker Tunnel, there is an out-and-back section on the interstate floating bridge to the Mercer Island tunnel and back. Following the run on I-90, there is a long stretch along the west shore of Lake Washington heading south.

After three miles, the course takes us to Seward Park, a peninsula jutting into the lake with a lake level road, for a 2.5 mile circuit of the park. Then it's a return to Lake Washington Boulevard going north. Steep hills, suburbs, the Arboretum, and the Interlaken curvy, wooded trail provide scenic variety. At an overpass at busy, I-5 the Space Needle and finish area are in view......only three miles away.

I enjoyed seeing the leaders and all of the runners in front and behind me on the I-90 floating bridge as we ran in opposite directions. The friends with whom I exchanged greetings here or on the Lake Washington Boulevard out-and-back are listed in the Partial Results at the end of this article.

I went out too fast at the beginning, so I visited with some friends who paced themselves better and passed me in the second half. I had pushed myself early in the race because I wanted to do well in age class competition. At age 74, I am at the upper end of my division, and I hoped to make a good showing by racing from the outset. However, I had to walk the hills in the second half and use a walk/run pattern on minor grades in the last two miles. Unbelievably, I didn't cramp at all!

Eventually, I crossed the finish line in 4:22:53 in mid-pack with a position of 1,186 of 2,314 marathon finishers......and first 70-74M. Lenore, a finish line volunteer, gave me my rewards..... a hug & kiss and a finisher's medal.

Uli Steidl, 31, of Seattle, a graduate student from Germany at the University of Washington, was the winner of the marathon for a record FIFTH consecutive year in a time of 2:23:21. He ran in a three-runner group until the halfway mat in Seward Park. Then the third place finisher, Shawn Miller, 23, of Juneau, AK (2:38:10) fell back. Nik Southwell, 29, of Victoria, BC (2:37:43) dropped back in the 17th mile.

Elizabeth Frame, 21, a graduate student at the Scripps Institute of Oceanography in LaJolla, CA, was a dark horse winner of the women's race. She ran her first marathon last June, and in her second marathon she was a surprise winner in 2:57:19. In the tenth mile she passed the early leader (and winner in 2000, 2001, & 2002), Joan McGrath, 42, of New Westminster, BC. Accompanying her for much of the race was Trisha Rosenberg, 27, of Seattle who finished in second place with a 2:57:36. Joan was third with a time of 3:01:27.

It was a special occasion for many. Congratulations to Richard DeCample of Renton, WA, for running his 150th marathon! He wore a singlet that was autographed by well-wishers (including me) for the event. He last wore the shirt at his 100th marathon.

Congratulations, also, to Steve Barrick, 41, of Kent, WA, who sported bib number 100 as he ran his 100th marathon. He is the director of the Green River Marathon and a member of the Interurban Running Club. We hope that Steve will join the 100 Marathon Club North America (no dues!)

Two local 100 Marathon Club members, Ron Fowler and Greg Judge, ran the marathon with "triplet" Paul Emmett in 4:02:15. Ron and Paul were there to support Greg who had just completed the Philadelphia Marathon on November 22 and the Atlanta Marathon on Thanksgiving Day, November 27. The Seattle Marathon made it THREE marathons for Greg in EIGHT days!!

It was good to see 100 Marathon Club member Don Lang of Glendale, CA, in the 18th mile of the course near Leschi. His marathon total is close to 350.

Participating in a "first marathon" is something very special. Lenore and I were happy to send off a first timer with hugs and good wishes for a successful race. Our grand-niece Niki Kuhlman, 32, a nurse from Vancouver, Washington, was a Team in Training participant from the group that supports research for cures of leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. An injury during her training didn't discourage her. She changed her goal from "running" her first marathon to "walking" it. Because the walkers started an hour before I did, our paths crossed twice on the I-90 floating bridge over Lake Washington and again on the boulevard along the lake. Walking a marathon in 8:01:12 (with an injury) is quite an accomplishment. We're proud of you, Niki!!

My 20th Seattle Marathon lived up to expectations. I ran a Boston qualifier, beat my Seattle times of the past two years, and kept my fall/winter string of age-class firsts going. I hit the wall harder than usual, but I still finished in mid-pack even though I was the oldest runner in the marathon. It had been a good day, and weather-wise it was the "day between two storms."

Thanks to the many volunteers for making the marathon happen. They were cheerful, supportive and industrious. Thanks, also, to race director Louise Long and to Denika Voget, Todd Byers, John Kokes and the many other section leaders who coordinate the event and solve problems as they arise during the race weekend.

Written by Bob Dolphin










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 5:33 PM Pacific Time Seattle USA Sunday 03 March 2013 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2013/03/us-and-them.html


From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Friday, November 16, 2012 3:36 PM

To: 'Chad Trammell'

Subject: RE: Chief of Staff


http://athlinks.com/result/48353/72800/33322024/33020650


athlinks


KERRY BURGESS

Age: 37 Class: M 35 to 39 Home: WA


Benaroya Research Institue Triathlon At Seafair 2003

Seattle, WA - Sun, Jul 20th, 2003

Swim Transition Bike/Cycle Transition Run Final Time & Place (A/G/O) Time

19:53 05:04 39:18 02:19 33:09 1:39:43


http://athlinks.com/result/96331/134804/33322024/54100176

athlinks


KERRY BURGESS

Age: 37 Class: M 35 to 39 Home: WA

Beaver Lake Triathlon 2003

Beaver Lake Park, WA - Sat, Aug 16th, 2003

Swim Transition Bike/Cycle Transition Run Final Time & Place (A/G/O) Time

09:43 03:24 51:28 01:53 42:34 1:49:03


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 03 March 2013 excerpt ends]










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/80261/King_-_The_Stand.html


Stephen King

The Stand - The Complete & Uncut Edition


Chapter 38


He had joked at school about not being able to remember all his kids’ names



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 12:35 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Tuesday 08 March 2016