Thursday, March 17, 2016

"Brewster Jennings & Associates"




Well, that's weird. I had this note formed in my mind and with only the details left to complete and then I start looking through my notes for the details that I had thought would be there and I couldn't find the details I thought would be there about one other person this episode made me think about so I had to drop some of the ideas for the content of this note I had originally planned to include. And I got to thinking I am not really certain I remember his name. That was during the year 1999 I knew him. I would have sworn I wrote somewhere here in this massive blog about him specifically, and I did find a reference I made to him, but I was thinking I wrote more specifically. Specifically, that day at Microsoft during a training class. I remember that clearly. He and I went to lunch one day. I was driving that blue Mazda RX-7 I bought at a used car dealership in Bellevue. We were eating lunch and I spilled some salsa on my shirt. Later that afternoon, the class instructor had us all practice an exercise. The exercise, as I was standing there in front of everyone and video-recorded, was to try to get a specific person to make eye contact with me. She had assigned him, Jason Grimes might have been his name, to not under any circumstance, make eye contact with me. He never did but I almost got him to make eye contact when I referred to the stain of food from lunch on the front of my shirt. We thought that was pretty funny. So that was the year 1999, my first year. I thought I wrote more about that class. I wrote that I thought the instructor gave me a perfect score, as we each had to get up in front of the camera and complete the exercises. He was the guy who was originally from Spokane and I have thought about that several times over the past decade. He and his girlfriend saw me walking through the parking garage at Oakwood at he asked me what I was doing there and I told him I had just moved in there and he told me he thought I was showing up unexpectedly to their apartment uninvited, which is something I never do. We talked later a few times about the security guard and about the guys who managed the computer system for residents of that building. Lynn and I started cycling the Burke-Gilman trail when I lived there but I had moved somewhere else before we made that first Seattle-to-Portland ride with Grace covering two days. Then I had moved to the Limestone when I made the STP in one day by myself and then decided I was ready to tackle the first Ironman Utah, driving down there in my brand-new 2002 black Jeep Wrangler with the fabric roof that was perfect for letting down in the glorious Seattle summer.



































2016_Nk20_DSCN1351.jpg










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=dead-like-me&episode=s02e04

Springfield! Springfield!


Dead Like Me

s02e04


You make it look so effortless.

Yeah but don't let the final picture fool you, this is 2 hours of hard labor in the morning.













https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6740386,-116.791519,3a,75y,172.77h,77.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slPRRxrN75sf5XoLrG6CE7A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Google Maps


W Lakeshore Dr

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho










[ See also: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2016/03/dead-like-me_17.html ]


http://www.tv.com/shows/dead-like-me/the-shallow-end-314259/

tv.com


Dead Like Me Season 2 Episode 4

The Shallow End

Aired Unknown Aug 15, 2004 on Showtime

AIRED: 8/15/04










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=dead-like-me&episode=s02e04

Springfield! Springfield!


Dead Like Me

s02e04


" And what do you say ? I say: "The reason the picture's fuzzy is I don't have cable, you know-it-all jackass.



































2016_Nk20_DSCN1352.jpg



































2016_Nk20_DSCN1353.jpg










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 10:47 PM Pacific Time somewhere near Seattle Washington USA Thursday 27 February 2014 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2014/02/monaco.html


Monaco



I can almost recall a specific moment walking just outside the urban area of downtown Charlotte and someone asking me for a cigarette. I had stopped smoking cigarettes. I cannot now recall that precise location but I can visualize it. I worked on trying to find it on Google Streetview but quite possibly the images of construction that exists in that location now compared to the year 1997, a location I drove through many times and walked through only one time, is confusing me now.

Earlier in that 1997 evening, somehow, Tina Mason had seemed to almost to talk me into smoking a cigarette and that became something of a battle of wills, in my mind now, because I took a cigarette and held it in my lips for many hours that night but I never did light the cigarette.

I still recall the shirt I was wearing that night. I was wearing that same shirt when they videotaped me at that Presentation Skills class at Microsoft in 1999. I can still visualize walking all those miles that night back to Dresden Avenue from downtown Charlotte North Carolina.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 27 February 2014 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 2:44 PM

To: Kerry Burgess

Subject: Re: pretense


Kerry Burgess wrote:
In addition to other stuff that was happening there, I remember something the security guy told me. I don't remember what started our conversation, I think I went down to the office to report that the internet service was down. I liked that place because it included services such as internet access in the rent payment. I don't remember what he told me but he told me to come down to the basement with him where the internet server was. I went down there but I wasn't sure why he wanted to show it to me. I think it was an NT4 machine with Proxy Server on it, which I knew very well, because I had set up Proxy Server before and it was also my final exam for the MCSE credential. I asked him if he had the logon password and he told me he did not. So I assumed he wasn't wanting me to fix it and I wasn't sure what he wanted. I told one of my coworkers about it, who also lived there. He commented about the two support guys for the server being morons or idiots or something like that so I guessed he knew them. I suspected that they, like a lot of other people I was beginning to suspect, were too interested in what Microsoft employees were doing in their personal time. It was part curiousity, part envy. After I moved out here, I found out that the average salary for Microsoft employees was considered to be over $200K. That has got to cause a lot of resentment among people that don't even make enough to live in the city where prices are set to extract as much money as possible from those rich people.

I wonder what happened to that coworker of mine. He left because he was happy [ correction: unhappy ] with the review system and I hated to see him go because he was pretty smart and knowledgable. When I gave up on Microsoft myself and was trying to decide what to do with the rest of my life, I remembered what he told me about Spokane. It snowed out there a lot in the winter and there were a lot of IT jobs. The fact that Ironman CDA was just down the road was icing on the cake. But they just wouldn't leave me alone. And they still haven't.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 24 March 2006 excerpt ends]










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=dead-like-me&episode=s02e04

Springfield! Springfield!


Dead Like Me

s02e04


Millie.
Ethan just quit.
What ? He said he wasn't cut out for this kind of "corporate cutthroat culture".
What happened, Millie ? I had a bad day.
No ! Millie Ethan had a bad day.
This park is beautiful.










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=dead-like-me&episode=s02e04

Springfield! Springfield!


Dead Like Me

s02e04


- Thanks, Kiffany.
- See Rube.
You have the power in that relationship.
She loves you.
She hates me.
I tip 2 dollars on a 7-dollar breakfast.
It's not brain surgery.
This is in, like, 5 minutes.
Maybe you should, like, get a move on.
You do that you know.
- You re-hold the love.
- Yeah.
How can I re-hold that which I do not possess ? Eat your breakfast.
Most girls are late for work because they overslept or they missed their bus.
Most girls didn't have to spend their morning watching a guy trying to repair his own lawnmower.
Successfully, I might add.
Slurpee.










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=black-hawk-down

Springfield! Springfield!


Black Hawk Down (2001)


-Name.
-Todd.
-Last name.
-Blackburn.
First name, Todd.
-So, what's it like?
-What's what like?
Mogadishu. The fighting.
-Serial number.
-72163427.
Firstly, it's "the Mog" or simply "Mog."
No one calls it Mogadishu here.
Secondly, I wouldn't know
about the fighting, so don't ask.
Why not?
Didn't I just say, "Don't ask"?
You look like you're about 12,
so let me explain something to you.
I have a rare and mysterious skill
that precludes me from doing missions.
Typing.
-Can you type?
-No.










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/80261/King_-_The_Stand.html


Stephen King

The Stand - The Complete & Uncut Edition


Chapter 22


Creighton stood ramrod straight, the tears still running down his own cheeks. He saluted.

Starkey returned it and then stepped out the door.

The elevator hummed efficiently, marking off the floors. An alarm began to hoot—mournfully, as if it somehow knew it was warning of a situation which had already become a lost cause—when he used his special key to open it at the top, so he could enter the motor-pool area. Starkey imagined Len Creighton watching him on a succession of monitors as he first picked out a jeep and then drove it across the desert floor of the sprawling test site and through a gate marked HIGH SECURITY ZONE NO ADMITTANCE WITHOUT SPECIAL CLEARANCE. The checkpoints looked like turnpike tollbooths. They were still manned, but the soldiers behind the yellowish glass were dead and rapidly mummifying in the dry desert heat. The booths were bulletproof, but they hadn’t been germproof. Their glazed and sunken eyes stared vacantly at Starkey as he motored past, the only moving thing along the tangle of dirt roads among the Quonset huts and low cinderblock buildings.

He stopped outside a squat blockhouse with a sign reading ABSOLUTELY NO ADMITTANCE WITHOUT A-1-A CLEARANCE on the door. He used one key to get in, and another to summon the elevator. A guard, dead as a doornail and stiff as a poker, stared at him from the glass-encased security station to the left of the elevator doors. When the elevator arrived and the doors opened, Starkey stepped in quickly. He seemed to feel the gaze of the dead guard on him, a small weight of eyes like two dusty stones.

The elevator sank so rapidly his stomach turned over. A bell dinged softly when it came to a halt. The doors slid open, and the sweet odor of decay hit him like a soft slap. It wasn’t too strong because the air purifiers were still working, but not even the purifiers could dispose of that smell completely. When a man has died, he wants you to know about it, Starkey thought.

There were almost a dozen bodies sprawled in front of the elevator. Starkey minced among them, not wanting to tread on a decaying, waxy hand or trip over an outstretched leg. That might make him scream, and he most definitely didn’t want to do that. You didn’t want to scream in a tomb because the sound of it might drive you mad, and that’s exactly where he was: in a tomb. It looked like a well-financed scientific research project, but what it really was now was a tomb.

The elevator doors slid shut behind him; there was a hum as it began to go up automatically. It wouldn’t come down again unless somebody else keyed it, Starkey knew; as soon as the installation’s integrity had been breached, the computers had switched all the elevators to the general containment program. Why were these poor men and women lying here? Obviously they had been hoping the computers would fuck up the switch-over to the emergency procedures. Why not? It even had a certain logic. Everything else had fucked up.










http://www.azlyrics.com/s/sundays.html

AZ

THE SUNDAYS

album: "Reading, Writing, And Arithmetic" (1990)


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/sundays/acertainsomeone.html

AZ

"A Certain Someone"


Oh, I'd be careful living in a block of flats
And I never take the lift to the top
No, I never take the lift to the top

Ah, you're too twisted by half...
Ah, and it's fair enough

Take a swim round, take a look down
I'll never believe what we've found
We figured it out, we figured it out










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410297/quotes

IMDb


The Lake House (2006)

Quotes


Kate: Life is not a book, Alex. And it can be over in a second.










http://www.azlyrics.com/s/sundays.html

AZ

THE SUNDAYS

album: "Reading, Writing, And Arithmetic" (1990)


http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/sundays/hereswherethestoryends.html

AZ

THE SUNDAYS

"Here's Where The Story Ends"


Oh I never should have said, the books that you read
Were all I loved you for










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410297/quotes

IMDb


The Lake House (2006)

Quotes


Simon Wyler: Where's your brother?

Alex: I sent him away. He wasn't feeling well. You know how he is, he worries.

Simon Wyler: Yeah, I know. He gets that from your mother, I'm afraid. She always worried too much.

Alex: What are you looking at?

[looking at architectural plans]

Simon Wyler: Hmm? Oh, yeah, here, take a gander. It's a proposal for a museum.

Alex: Who is it?

Simon Wyler: Someone new.

Alex: Oh, I like the walkways, where the light falls. What are the materials?

Simon Wyler: Granite. Aluminum.

Alex: White panels are straight out of Meier... but the interior color coming through the front windows, that's different. It's not new, but it's clean, uncluttered. I like it.

Simon Wyler: When was the last time you were in Barcelona?



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 02:45 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Thursday 17 March 2016