Sunday, November 18, 2018

The First STS




http://i.imgur.com/to1CBYh.jpg








https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/a17.clsout1.html

Apollo 17

Lunar Surface Journal

EVA-1 Close-out


124:10:28 Cernan: Now you're going to have to move way over there, so I can get the hatch.

[Closing the hatch is a difficult job in an inflated suit. Gene needs Jack to get back against the right-hand side circuit breaker panel so that he, Gene, can reach down to close the hatch.]

124:10:31 Schmitt: Yeah, I have to go back the way I was.

124:10:34 Cernan: Back up against the circuit breakers.

124:10:35 Schmitt: Yup.

124:10:36 Cernan: Can you see what I'm catching on, upward?

124:10:39 Schmitt: Yeah. You're just hitting the rail over there.

124:10:44 Cernan: Okay. Now. (Pause) See, I can't..."Close and lock forward hatch", huh?

124:10:54 Schmitt: Yeah. (Pause) Can you do it?

124:10:59 Cernan: Yup. Can't see it. Okay. (Pause)

[Cernan - "To get the hatch closed and latched, you had to lean forward and sideways and close it by feel. The instrument panel stuck out about a foot into the cabin and you just couldn't see under it while you were closing the hatch. Then, once I got back up, I could lean back and see it was closed, and as Jack could, too. All of this was necessary because we were really constrained by weight; the LM had to be as lightweight as possible and we couldn't afford a lot of volume in the spacecraft. If we'd had more room and a little bigger hatch, all of this would have been a lot easier and have gone a lot faster."]

124:11:07 Cernan: Forward Hatch is Closed...

124:11:10 Schmitt: Locked?

124:11:12 Cernan: ...and Locked.








https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19740019764.pdf

FINAL REPORT

APOLLO 17 LUNAR SURFACE COSMIC RAY DETECTOR

NASA Contract #NAS 9-11895


Deployment was nominal and was completed early in the first period of extravehicular activty (EVA) at 01:23 G.m.t., December 12, 1972








https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/a17.eva1post.html

Apollo 17

Lunar Surface Journal

Post-EVA-1 Activities


126:14:06 Cernan: Hello, boss, how are you doing down there?

126:14:08 Slayton: Just fine. Waiting for you guys to go to sleep so we can do the same. (Pause) Had a great day up there, guys.

126:14:16 Cernan: Oh, you don't have to wait for that. We're...(Stops to listen to Slayton's second remark) It was super from here. It's quite an experience, Deke, and quite a challenge.

126:14:26 Slayton: Yeah, it looked beautiful from here.

126:14:34 Cernan: I tell you, it makes you feel like you had a good day's work behind you, though.

126:14:42 Slayton: I can believe that.

126:14:47 Allen: We're about to give you the rest of the day off, Gene.

126:14:54 Cernan: Thank you, Joe. (Long Pause)

126:15:20 Allen: Geno, while you troops are...

126:15:23 Cernan: Hey, it's 3 o'clock in the...

126:15:24 Allen: Go ahead.

126:15:26 Cernan: Go ahead, Joe. I was just going to say, it's 3 o'clock in the morning (Central Standard Time) back there.

126:15:31 Parker: We know it.

[Because of the launch delay, a decision was made to reset mission clocks to give time relative to the planned launch time of 0253 GMT 7 December 1972. It is currently 0308 CST 12 December 1972 in Houston.]

126:15:34 Slayton: It's 3 o'clock in the morning up there, too!

126:15:41 Cernan: Yeah, (chuckles) and we know that too.

126:15:46 Allen: Troops, while you're in a listening mood up there









https://www.flickr.com/photos/projectapolloarchive/albums/72157658976934006/page1








https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/a17.1ststep.html

Apollo 17

Lunar Surface Journal

Down the Ladder


117:22:44 Cernan: Oh man, I tell you, we came down at just a little forward velocity. Look at that, right there. About a (one)-foot slip on the pad. I tell you, there's craters all over here. Okay, baby. I'd sure like to think that that (Rover) wheel is where it's supposed to be. It looks good to me. (Pause) Our next little vehicle to work. (Long Pause while Gene examines the Rover, using cuff checklist page CDR-7 as a guide) Okay. Bob, so far, the Rover looks pretty good.

117:23:39 Parker: Roger; sounds good, Geno.

117:23:44 Cernan: (To Parker) Hey, let me ask you. When I was behind the LM, I could look right into an area and see the bell of the ascent stage. I never realized that before, but I guess that's normal, huh?

117:23:55 Schmitt: Yeah; We saw it on the (launch) pad (at the Cape). Remember.

117:23:58 Cernan: Barely.

117:24:00 Schmitt: Remember when we went out there?

117:24:05 Cernan: The only reason I asked, Bob, I'm sure it's normal, and it doesn't look anything's missing, it's just right into the Sun.

117:24:13 Parker: Yeah, the consensus of opinion down here is that you can, also.

117:24:20 Cernan: Well, that's probably the best place in the world to get a consensus of opinion from. Okay, Jack, it's about work time. I've got this Rover about ready for your pull up there.

117:24:33 Schmitt: I got a little delayed here.

[After adjusting the MESA, Jack is opening the thermal blankets that cover the stowed equipment and supplies. Next, he will climb up the ladder and, as per LMP-7, release the Rover.]

117:24:35 Cernan: Okay. (Pause) I'm sure glad those guys made us train so hard.








From 5/10/1992 ( the first STS-49 orbital EVA begins ) To 7/30/2006 is 5194 days

5194 = 2597 + 2597

From 11/2/1965 ( my known birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA as Kerry Burgess ) To 12/12/1972 ( the first Apollo 17 lunar EVA ends ) is 2597 days



https://hvom.blogspot.com/2018/11/school-house-rock-nasa.html

Posted by Kerry Burgess at 3:40 AM

Number 878: The Farthest Man From Home

I am Kerry Burgess. This is what I think.

Sunday, November 18, 2018

"School House Rock!", NASA


from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: July 30, 2006

After they released me from the VA last year, I stumbled around in that senior citizens home, trying to find something to do, the very first magazine I picked up to read was a National Geographic edition from 1981 that described STS-1.


excerpt ends Posted by Kerry Burgess at 3:40 AM Sunday, November 18, 2018








http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-10/news/mn-2517_1_satellite-today

Los Angeles Times

Shuttle Poised for Satellite Rescue Today : Space: Endeavour should overtake orbiting target by mid-afternoon. Crew will then attempt to lasso and relaunch device.

May 10, 1992 ROBERT W. STEWART TIMES STAFF WRITER

HOUSTON — The nation's newest space shuttle, Endeavour, on Saturday streaked toward an unprecedented attempt to rescue a stranded communications satellite today by attaching it to a new rocket motor designed to propel it into a higher orbit.

As Endeavour entered its third day in space, the seven-member crew made detailed preparations to retrieve the $150-million satellite, which was left in a useless low-Earth orbit in March, 1990, when the commercial Titan rocket that launched it malfunctioned.

Engineers for the communications consortium that owns the satellite, International Telecommunications Satellite Organization, have been directing the device toward its rendezvous position by activating thrusters on the satellite that dropped it from a 350-mile-high orbit to an orbit 225 miles above the Earth.

By Saturday evening, the shuttle was trailing the Intelsat 6 satellite by 975 miles, and was closing at a rate of 86 miles each orbit.

"It's (been) a nice quiet day, building up to the extremely ambitious day we have (Sunday)," Al Pennington, flight director for the National Aeronautics and Space Administation, said during a briefing at the Johnson Space Center. The spacecraft lifted off Thursday evening from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

If all goes as planned, the rescue will begin at 1:30 p.m. PDT today as Endeavour enters its 48th orbit and astronaut Pierre J. Thuot, 36, a U.S. Navy commander, enters the shuttle's cargo bay.

Thuot will begin by tethering his feet to the shuttle's movable arm. Inside the orbiter, astronaut Bruce E. Melnick, 42, a Coast Guard commander, will guide the arm to lift Thuot within reach of the 12-foot wide Intelsat 6, which will be rotating at a rate of once every two minutes.

Thuot is to grab the 8,960-pound, 17-foot-tall satellite from the bottom with a specially designed "capture bar," and then manually halt its rotation. He will then hook the bar to the shuttle arm and Melnick will guide Thuot and the satellite into the shuttle bay.

There, Thuot will work with astronaut Richard J. Hieb, 36, to hitch the satellite to the frame that houses a new 23,000-pound, solid-fuel rocket motor. After the two crew members attach electric umbilical cords linking the motor to the satellite, they will set four, pre-loaded springs that, minutes later, will push the satellite and reboost the rocket back into space.

Once the spacewalkers are safely inside, the crew will release the springs to send the satellite assembly spinning away from the shuttle at a speed of about a half-foot per second.

Intelsat controllers in Washington, D.C., are scheduled to fire the rocket motor Monday, initially propelling the satellite into an elliptical orbit reaching as far as 51,750 miles from the Earth. Eventually, the satellite is to settle into the lower orbit over the Atlantic Ocean, where it can relay telephone and television signals, including video of the 1992 Summer Olympics.

Intelsat is paying $93 million for the rescue mission. The cost of a shuttle mission has been pegged at between $250 million and $500 million, depending on the overhead, salary and development costs included in the calculation.

During two other scheduled spacewalks, on Monday and Tuesday, astronauts will practice techniques to be used on future missions to repair the flawed Hubble space telescope and to assemble the planned space station Freedom.








from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: 06/18/08 10:15 PM
I haven't gone back and verified the number but I have been thinking for a while that I was in the Pioneer Square gulag for 300 days.

I do remember that I commented to Shannon when I checked back into Shoreline that current date with the Apollo 11 anniversary so it was July 20th or July 1st.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STS-300

Space shuttle missions designated STS-3xx (officially called Launch On Need missions) are rescue missions which would be mounted to rescue the crew of a Space Shuttle if their vehicle was damaged and deemed unable to make a successful reentry. Such a mission would be flown if Mission Control determined that the heat shielding tiles and reinforced carbon-carbon (RCC) panels of a currently flying orbiter were damaged beyond the normal repair methods. These missions are also referred to as Launch on Demand (LOD).

The orbiter and four of the crew which were due to fly the next planned mission would be retasked to the rescue mission. The planning and training processes for a rescue flight would allow NASA to launch the mission within a period of 40 days of it being called up.








from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: August 21, 2006

I was writing about something like this a few months ago. I was writing about the psychological effects of trying to work with ground control to solve a problem while on a space craft that is a long ways from Earth. I thought those thoughts were an indication that I would someday go to Mars and this current experience was a form of preparation for it. Now in the past few days I have started thinking that I have already been to Mars.

So why am I here?








http://articles.latimes.com/1992-05-11/news/mn-1188_1_space-shuttle-endeavour

Los Angeles Times

Errant Satellite Twists Out of Shuttle's Grasp

May 11, 1992 ROBERT W. STEWART TIMES STAFF WRITER

HOUSTON — What had been a flawless maiden voyage for space shuttle Endeavour ran into serious trouble Sunday as astronauts attempting to snag a stranded $150-million communications satellite sent it spinning out of control.

"We've got to get away from this thing," Endeavour commander Daniel C. Brandenstein, 49, said








From: Kerry Burgess

To: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Tuesday, May 16, 2006 5:55:42 PM

Kerry Burgess wrote:

I have this sense of dread I can't explain. But there is something........I can't put my finger on it, something, something, something, what is it? I had the strongest feeling this morning that I don't know who I am. Then it just clicked back. It just turned off. I think it was something someone on tv said while they were listening to me. I find myself thinking about that part in that 1998 Star Trek movie where Data realizes he is missing some memory chips. And I heard someone just the other day saying something similar. I keep my headphones on to block out stuff like that, but......what am I missing? What other clues are there that I've missed? Are people telling me this all to help? Do I need help?








Space: Above and Beyond

Choice or Chance - Part 2

Sunday 26 November 1995

Episode 9 Season 1 DVD video:

00:20:39


US Marine Corps lieutenant colonel T.C. McQueen: Not enough power left to transmit.

US Marine Corps first lieutenant Cooper Hawkes: I'll bet they heard it.

McQueen: Not even an A.I. would take that bet, Cooper.

Cooper Hawkes: We got to find the others.

T.C. McQueen: A.I.'s are networked through their modems. So when you re-initialize them, they give up their home location. Near the end of the A.I. War I was a P.O.W.

Cooper Hawkes: They do, uh, stuff to you?

T.C. McQueen: It's frightening how much pain an InVitro - a human body can stand. You'd like to believe the body would break before the will. I held out three days. Then - once when they were - doing stuff to me - I heard screaming. Sounded far off, down the hall. I remember thinking "That poor bastard. What must he be going through?" Then when I came to I realized the screams had come from me.








from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: July 13, 2006

This image from STS-1 reminds me of something from the Taylor. We were in Gitmo during shakedown and the evaluators had the windows on the bridge covered up. We had to leave port like that, essentially flying by instrumentation and charts. While that memory would represent many different experiences from flight training, I have started wondering the past few hours if I was on STS-1 when it went up.



- posted by Kerry Burgess 05:24 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Sunday 18 November 2018