Sunday, May 08, 2011

No badge to hide behind.




JOURNAL ARCHIVE: JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

To: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Sat, February 11, 2006 7:19:45 PM

Subject: a world for him


It rained. The procession of weary soldiers became a bedraggled train, despondent and muttering, marching with churning effort in a trough of liquid brown mud under a low, wretched sky. Yet the youth smiled, for he saw that the world was a world for him, though many discovered it to be made of oaths and walking sticks. He had rid himself of the red sickness of battle. The sultry nightmare was in the past. He had been an animal blistered and sweating in the heat and pain of war. He turned now with a lover's thirst to images of tranquil skies, fresh meadows, cool brooks--an existence of soft and eternal peace.

Over the river a golden ray of sun came through the hosts of leaden rain clouds.

THE END.

http://www.online-literature.com/crane/redbadge/25/


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 11 February 2006 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 6:10 PM Thursday, December 30, 2010


My return in 1998 was different though. I returned but I am a composite version of Tom Reagan and Kerry Burgess. I am not as tall as Tom Reagan and I am as tall as Kerry Burgess but I do not have the physical scars of Kerry Burgess, such as the gunshot wound scar he had on his shoulder.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 30 December 2010 excerpt ends]










http://www.tv.com/star-trek-the-next-generation/family/episode/19062/trivia.html

tv.com

Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season 4, Episode 2

Family

Quotes


Picard: You don't know, Robert. You don't know. They took everything I was. They used me to kill and to destroy. And I couldn't stop them. I should've been able to stop them. I tried. I tried so hard. But I just wasn't strong enough. Not good enough. I should've been able to stop them. I should've been able to...

Robert: So, my brother is a human being after all. This is going to be with you a long time, Jean-Luc. A long time. And you have to learn to live with that.