Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I still remember a photo of me there.




I was wearing a light blue sweatshirt with the sleeves cut off and on the front was printed a phrase worded similar to or exactly to: "School of Hard Knocks". I thought of it every time I saw that Clint Eastwood film.

Paradise Island. In the United States Navy my first excursion outside the United States.

I also started thinking recently they aren't doing this all for me to jump through hoops like some dog doing tricks. I started wondering if I am spoiling a joke she made for her husband.

I still haven't watched that last episode of "Under the Dome". I also have not watched last week's new episode of "Legends" or of "Resurrection". I catch glimpses of other television series and I see enough of those shows I don't watch to know they are filling those with similar patterns too.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 9/26/2006 3:06 PM
As I was trying to go to sleep last night, I had a thought that I have a doctorate in computer science from Princeton. I can’t think of any supporting clues that point specifically to that accomplishment though. There is one memory from working in the lockbox at that bank in Charlotte, but I’m not sure what it means. I also wonder about the B.A. and I had thoughts that I studied music as well at Princeton. I do have supporting memories on that. One is that memory I wrote about a while back of when I returned from the Persian Gulf in 1988. I was writing code on my Commodore computer to randomly produce what I called classical music.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 9/26/2006 3:18 PM
When I think of “Nassau,” I remember one of the first port calls we made on the Taylor in 1985. Thomas Ray has probably been to Nassau in the Bahamas, but I wonder if I have that memory specifically because of Princeton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princeton_University


Nassau Hall is the main administrative building of the University.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 9/26/2006 3:22 PM
This is interesting:

http://www.princeton.edu/~oktour/virtualtour/Stop02.htm
As we venture away from Frist we find ourselves among some of Princeton's academic buildings, including the Woolworth Center of Musical Studies. Renovated in 1997, this facility houses the Department of Music and the Mendel Music Library. In addition, Woolworth contains practice rooms, facilities for private lessons, and a large rehearsal studio.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 9/26/2006 3:29 PM
I don’t remember this movie, but here is a reference to Princeton. And there is the clue about his listed birthday being consistent with my “April 16” theory about Thomas Ray’s birthday and Kerry Burgess’s birthday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risky_Business


"Sometimes you just gotta say 'What the fuck!'." Miles tells this to Joel early in the film, and Joel later says this to the interviewer from Princeton University.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 9/26/2006 3:47 PM
I was also thinking again about that time on the Wainwright when we stopped one day in the Caribbean and went swimming for a few hours. I wrote about it a couple years ago. I am thinking that memory may represent having to abandon the Sheffield and going into the ocean. In my Wainwright memory, they made us swim on one side of the ship where the wind and wave action would constantly push us back into the side of the ship. I remember having the swim hard for a while just to get back away from the side so I wasn’t being slammed into the side of the ship. I think that in reality, it was the opposite on the Sheffield. Since the ship was burning, we went over on the side where the wind and waves would push us away from the ship. As a result, the rescuers had to search a while for us.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 9/26/2006 4:54 PM
I do have a memory that could support an advanced education at an early age. After Theda married James Nevells, he re-joined the Marines. He was assigned to the El Toro base in California and we moved from Arkansas to live in Santa Ana. I started 2nd grade out there and I remember my teacher talking to me one day. She said that I was being moved into an advanced class with 3rd graders. But I eventually went back to the class of 2nd graders.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 26 September 2006 excerpt ends]










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091187/quotes

IMDb


Memorable quotes for

Heartbreak Ridge (1986)


Maj. Malcolm A. Powers: I'm going to run you out of the corps, Highway. And you know what's funny? You're going to do all the work. Sooner or later you'll disregard procedure, disobey an order, or just get drunk. You can't help it. You're too old, too prideful, too stupid to change. I'm going to enjoy seeing you fall, Highway. Now get out and send in that idiot, Ring.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091187/quotes

IMDb


Memorable quotes for

Heartbreak Ridge (1986)


Lieutenant M.R. Ring: [removing a staple from a bundle of reports] Gunny, did you know that I was Platoon Leader in my ROTC class in college?

Highway: I'll sleep a lot better at night knowing that, sir.

Lieutenant M.R. Ring: Thank you.

[pokes finger with staple]

Lieutenant M.R. Ring: Ow! What school did you go to?

Highway: Heartbreak Ridge.

Lieutenant M.R. Ring: Hmmm. I've never heard of that school.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 10:00 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Tuesday 14 October 2014