Monday, October 06, 2014

"What am I saying here?" Hahahaha.




1984 film "Night of the Comet" DVD video:


Oscar: Is - Is that it?

White: What did you want me to do, Oscar, take her out back and shoot her in the head?

Oscar: I simply meant I was glad it was painless.

White: I don't think we have to stay around. She didn't think that he was coming back.

Oscar: I feel we can wait. But I feel the radio station is the more logical place.










http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/stress-fear-could-do-more-harm-ebola-dallas-officials-n219551

NBC NEWS


Ebola Virus Outbreak

401 STORIES

STORYLINE

Continuing coverage of the Ebola outbreak in West Africa

'Stress and Fear' Could Do More Harm Than Ebola: Dallas Officials

Dallas officials, including Mayor Mike Rawlings and Texas Health Commissioner Dr. David Lakey, held a news conference Monday to discuss the response to the Ebola investigation and containment regarding patient Thomas Eric Duncan — and said that local anxiety could be more damaging than the virus itself.

"The concern is the stress of this and the fear of this could be more damaging to the community than the virus itself," said Lakey. "This isn’t West Africa. This is a very modern city. We don’t have the level poverty that they have in West Africa, that is conducive to the spread of the disease."

He said he was so confident that people who aren't showing signs of illness that he shook hands with one man who was being monitored. Local officials have complained that certain service providers, like tutors, have been reluctant to come into the neighborhood where Duncan was staying because of Ebola fears.

Lakey also said that all of the 48 people being monitored as contacts with Duncan before he was admitted to the hospital were showing no signs of fever or illness.

Hospital officials earlier on Monday said Duncan remains in critical but stable condition. He is now receiving an investigational medication, brincidofovir, they said.

Duncan, the Liberian national who was the first person to be diagnosed with the Ebola virus while in the United States, traveled to Dallas to marry his longtime girlfriend and the mother of his 19-year-old son, the pastor of the woman's church told NBC News on Saturday.

Duncan arrived in Dallas on Sept. 20 via a flight plan that had taken him from Monrovia, Liberia, through Burssels, Belgium, and Washington, D.C. It's believed he contracted the deadly virus in his hometown five days earlier when he helped a pregnant neighbor get to the hospital believing she was having a miscarriage. The woman later died of Ebola.

Duncan began showing symptoms of the illness on Sept. 24 but didn't go to Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital until Sept. 26 — and he was sent home with antibiotics by hospital staff who didn't realize the severity of his case. Two days later, on Sept. 28, an ambulance was called to his Dallas apartment to take him back to the hospital. On Sept. 30 it was confirmed that Duncan had Ebola.

President Obama held a meeting with various cabinet members and agency heads on Monday to discuss the Ebola crisis — including Secretary of State John Kerry, Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman General Martin Dempsey, CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden, USAID Administrator Rajiv Shah, and Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson.

Following the meeting the president said that he was "confident" that the American people are safe and that the chances of an outbreak in the U.S. are "extremely low. He said his administration would work on additional measures to screen people entering the U.S. from high-risk countries, and "we're also going to be working on protocols to do additional, faster screening both at source and here in the United States"

A U.S. airlines trade group was also meeting with health and safety officials on Monday to discuss whether additional screenings for Ebola could help contain the spread of the virus.










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/80261/King_-_The_Stand.html


Stephen King

The Stand - The Complete & Uncut Edition


Chapter 26


Viewers in the WBZ-TV broadcast area saw Bob Palmer stop his newscast in the middle of a sentence, and heard him say, “Okay, right now!”


Has the news been managed? I am sorry to say that this is the case.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 12:23 AM Pacific Time somewhere near Seattle Washington USA Friday 03 January 2014 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2014/01/windsor.html


Windsor



I have hundreds of these reports archived, these reports I started enthusiastically and then never finished. Every one I started with that familiar sense of enthusiasm, "Yeah," I say to myself, "this is the one. This one bursts their bubble."

Fabricated reality would have to seem very real.

Fabricated reality would have to be impossible, or very close to it, very close to impossible to escape.

Fabricated reality would have to be realistic and would have to have some kind of pre-planned process for escaping back to normal reality, or at least if there is only one person involved. With other conspirators then there are more possibilities for escape. Teamwork. Or a gatekeeper.

I post my blog and there are only maybe five or 6 people out there in the world who follow my blog and I guess those few people are real people who also now exist in this reality fabricated.

None of the other billions of people care about this information because all of the rest of you out there, you "SimCitizens", are not programmed to care about it. I despise you all so much.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 03 January 2014 excerpt ends]










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066769/quotes

IMDb


The Andromeda Strain (1971)

Quotes


Capt. Morton: [code phrase] There's a fire, sir.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 12:23 AM Pacific Time somewhere near Seattle Washington USA Friday 03 January 2014 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2014/01/windsor.html


http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=20284


George Bush [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Text of the Thanksgiving Address to the Nation

November 27, 1991


Americans don't ignore tough realities; we tackle them.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 03 January 2014 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 10:43 PM Pacific Time somewhere near Seattle Washington USA Friday 20 December 2013 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2013/12/mirrors-from-bounty.html


Mirrors from The Bounty.



Where did I hear in the past few days similar dialog to "You probably even tuck in your shirt when nobody is looking"? Was that dialog on one of the "NCIS" episodes?

Also, my mindset is changing. I feel it, Dave. I sense a new sense of the profound. I feel less annoyed by those clowns. I feel that I had to cause those clowns to annoy me so I could become annoyed by those clowns.

Damn, I really didn't want to spend half the night working on creating these notes.

These notes prove though that I have been correct all these years, these past decades.

And then I look out the window of my apartment, thinking back to an observation from earlier today that I write about now here, and I think I should also tonight if there is time watch again the DVD for "Jacob's Ladder." Somebody could have staged that though. They watch my windows constantly and they see me walk towards a window and they stage something for me to see. Makes perfect sense. The precise reason I complained to the police almost a decade ago.

Don't recall the last time I watched "Twelve Monkeys." Watching it tonight for the first time on DVD I sure do love the conspiratorial look on Bruce Willis' face during the scene where "Ricky Neuman" is first mentioned. Of course, "Neuman" is the product of that cswap.com website and the same with the subtitles of the DVD. Sure sounds like "Newman" to me in the spoken dialog of the DVD as the serious-voiced radio announcer says "cornfield."

You see, it's again Will Smith the Fresh Butthole for the continued success of Al Qaida violently against the United States of America. And his Fresh Butthole buddies.

With the DVD now paused again to make this note I haven't got yet to the "probability matrix" dialog but I have seen this production enough times to know it is going happen. Other scenes are more forgettable though as I doubt I would have had a reason to transcribe the dialog here from the DVD as I am now.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 20 December 2013 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 04:14 AM Pacific Time somewhere near Seattle Washington USA Saturday 21 December 2013 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2013/12/not-much-point-documenting-how-time.html


Not much point documenting how "The Time Traveler's Wife" shops around for the new house.



Not worth the time documenting something clever that dullard cattle will never read about.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 21 December 2013 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 9:25 PM Pacific Time somewhere near Seattle Washington USA Friday 20 December 2013 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2013/12/you-would-look-back-at-my-life-and.html


You would look back at my life and think: He's someone who could save us all. A story-book ending.



I lost my passwords several months ago to a secret Facebook account I set up. Don't know if anyone responded to me. Not that you really needed to. My message was simply informative. There's not really much point any more to be trying to be sociable.










1995 film "Twelve Monkeys" DVD video:

00:50:25


James Cole: Is that a radio?

Dr. Kathryn Railly: Yeah.

James Cole: Can you turn it on?

Radio announcer: This is a personal message to you. Are you at the end of your rope? Are you dying to get away? The Florida Keys are waiting for you. Ocean waves -

James Cole: I've never seen the ocean!

Dr. Kathryn Railly: It's an advertisement, Mr. Cole.

James Cole: What is -

Dr. Kathryn Railly: It's an advertisement. You do understand that, don't you? It's not really a special message to you.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 20 December 2013 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2013/12/freaked-out-ncis-tuesday-17-december.html - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 6:04 PM Pacific Time somewhere near Seattle Washington USA Tuesday 17 December 2013


Freaked-out "NCIS" Tuesday 17 December 2013



Clearly my reaction.

I didn't even watch this stupid episode until today, watching it now after watching its stupid companion "NCIS" episode just before I am now watching the stupid "NCIS: Los Angeles" episode from last week.

Clearly my thoughts a few hours ago earlier today while wide awake are prescient. Prescient because I had not yet watched last week's episode until this evening.

And just when I had myself almost convinced again over recent days and weeks that I exist in non-reality.

Well, that could be true. Where I am going requires the understanding of how to lose the common sense of the reality of the human mind. The sort of power I sense is something that changes reality.

So anyway, my thoughts earlier today were clearly prescient and it's kind of a funny story, if I were to explain it here, which I do not, but obviously as though I have a partner making a joke that only I can sense in my mind. She knew I would latch onto it and then make this note now as I had to pause the "NCIS: Los Angeles" video for last week's episode here as I watch it for the first time and make this note just about two hours before the new episodes broadcast locally here in Pacific Time Washington State USA.





http://www.cbs.com/shows/ncis_los_angeles/video/A1231B1D-45E4-6D75-33A1-D8C8CED1A2E5/ncis-los-angeles-iron-curtain-rising/

CBS


NCIS: Los Angeles

Iron Curtain Rising S5 Ep11 (43:35)


Aired 12/10/13


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 17 December 2013 excerpt ends]










http://ncis-los-angeles.hypnoweb.net/guide-episodes/saison-5/episode-511/script-vo-511.152.2049/

hypnoweb.net


NCIS: Los Angeles

Iron Curtain Rising

Episode 11 Season 5 - Tuesday 10 December 2013


[NCIS office. At the gym – G is snoring quietly: he’s asleep on a workout bench, his bag for a pillow. Sam appears; he drops his bag noisily]

SAM: This is how we're working out now?

CALLEN: I'm just resting...between sets. You taught me that.

SAM: Right.

CALLEN: Just taking a little power nap.

SAM: You were snoring.

CALLEN: I'm not snoring. Those were deep breathing exercises. Something you also taught me.

SAM: You know, this is the third morning this week I caught you here... resting.

[ G sighs]

CALLEN: What can I tell you? I'm always in the gym. Just trying to stay lean and mean, baby. (

[Sam laughs]

SAM: No, I'm always in the gym.

CALLEN: Uh-huh.

SAM: You know you have a house now. You can sleep there. That's what normal people do.

CALLEN: I sleep there. I do.

SAM: You're like a cat that keeps going back to its old place, even though the owners moved.





http://ncis-los-angeles.hypnoweb.net/guide-episodes/saison-5/episode-511/script-vo-511.152.2049/

hypnoweb.net


NCIS: Los Angeles

Iron Curtain Rising

Episode 11 Season 5 - Tuesday 10 December 2013


SAM: We weren't working out.

CALLEN: I was working out.

SAM: He was sleeping.

CALLEN: Resting.

HETTY: We have a case.

[They move towards the exit- “Hetty” is following them. They speak quietly]

CALLEN: I'm not sure I'm comfortable with this.

SAM: She's already in three places at once.

CALLEN: That's what I'm worried about.

[Sam chuckles]

HETTY: I can still hear you, gentlemen.

[They stop]

HETTY: Embrace the future.





http://ncis-los-angeles.hypnoweb.net/guide-episodes/saison-5/episode-511/script-vo-511.152.2049/

hypnoweb.net


NCIS: Los Angeles

Iron Curtain Rising

Episode 11 Season 5 - Tuesday 10 December 2013


CALLEN: Once. I've saved your life, what, a hundred times?

SAM: A hundred?

CALLEN: How many?

SAM: Not a hundred. And definitely not as many times as I've saved your life.

CALLEN: Are you kidding me? I've saved your life way more times than you've saved mine.

SAM: No way.

CALLEN: Fact of life, baby.

SAM: Stop it.





http://ncis-los-angeles.hypnoweb.net/guide-episodes/saison-5/episode-511/script-vo-511.152.2049/

hypnoweb.net


NCIS: Los Angeles

Iron Curtain Rising

Episode 11 Season 5 - Tuesday 10 December 2013


CALLEN: What do we know about her?

ERIC: Carla Shear, 36. Single. Admitted to the California Bar in 2003. Specializes in high net worth individuals, in personal matters.

SAM: So a high school kid gets a DUI, his rich parents pay her to make it go away.

ERIC: Exactly. But, looking at last year's tax return, we think she's being paid under the table.

NELL: Carla Shear reported earnings of $115K last year, but that wouldn't cover half her mortgage on her Ocean Avenue condo, the new lease on her fancy App Type or her Louboutins.

CALLEN: Her what?

NELL: & DEEKS: Her shoes.

DEEKS: What? My partner's a woman. Or at least she was. I mean, she's still a woman. Actually, I'm not sure if she's still a woman. I'm sure she's still a w...Not that I know that from any sort of intimate experience. I'm just saying that...right now, she's not here with... me.

CALLEN: We got it. Do any of Carla Shear's other clients fit Zevlos' profile?

NELL: Uh...

ERIC: What, uh, war criminals on the run? He's her only client with that particular legal problem.

DEEKS: So then the question is how much did she really know about him.

SAM: Was she taking orders when she gave away his Range Rover, knowing that it would throw us off his tail? Or was she in on the plan from the get-go?

NELL: Either way, she's still our best bet to finding him.

CALLEN: I think we need to ask her.





http://ncis-los-angeles.hypnoweb.net/guide-episodes/saison-5/episode-511/script-vo-511.152.2049/

hypnoweb.net


NCIS: Los Angeles

Iron Curtain Rising

Episode 11 Season 5 - Tuesday 10 December 2013


[Interrogation room.]

CLARA:...what a generous man he is and his ongoing charitable involvement. He's always pulling stunts like that. It's crazy.

DEEKS: It's really crazy.

CARLA: Right.

DEEKS: It's crazy like..."sleeping with a client" crazy.

[He opens a file]

DEEKS: Zevlos didn't call you from his regular cell phone this morning 'cause he has a separate line just for you.

CARLA: Hope you had a warrant for that.

DEEKS: Does his wife know?

CARLA: …

DEEKS: Wow. I didn't think so.





http://ncis-los-angeles.hypnoweb.net/guide-episodes/saison-5/episode-511/script-vo-511.152.2049/

hypnoweb.net


NCIS: Los Angeles

Iron Curtain Rising

Episode 11 Season 5 - Tuesday 10 December 2013


[G snorts quietly]

HETTY: I don't play favorites, gentlemen. Even under extraordinary circumstances.

[She leaves the room – G sighs]

HETTY: I can still hear you, Mr. Callen!

[They exchange a look…]

[Bullpen Deeks is watching photos on his laptop Kensi…He’s moved by her smile Afghanistan: Kensi is on her bed – a gun at her side; she’s watching photos… Deeks on the camel – the team at the gym, exactly the same photo Deeks was staring at… she zooms like he did on her and him she’s on the verge of tears… she looks at her watch turns the light off… black screen…]

KENSI: Good night, Deeks…










http://ncis-los-angeles.hypnoweb.net/guide-episodes/saison-5/episode-512/script-vo-512.152.2044/

hypnoweb.net


NCIS: Los Angeles

Merry Evasion

Episode 12 Season 5 - Tuesday 17 December 2013


[Meanwhile in Afghanistan Kensi is ripping the paper off the packet. She opens it and laughs]

KENSI: Christmas cake. Hetty, you are a terrible re-gifter.

[But when she moves the cake box, the rattling sounded awkward. She opens it and finds…a satellite phone…]

KENSI: Of course.

[She presses a button – and a phone rings on Hetty desk.]

HETTY: I see you got my present.

KENSI: I certainly did. Thank you.

HETTY: This is a secure line. No one else has this number or the one you're calling. Do not let this phone out of your sight. It's your only true lifeline.

KENSI: I won't










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 11:00 PM Tuesday, August 02, 2011


A very short while ago, I wanted to do something else, but I was strongly compelled to read through the section in "Red Storm Rising" about when the hostilities actually begin. I record this observation now because of how compelling certain details seem to my conscious mind.

One compelling detail is about a dream I had that must have been two nights ago. I have thought about it quite a few times, or was it this morning? I can't recall for certain. I haven't been sleeping well. I think it might have been less than two days ago. Maybe during a sleep period this time last night. The dream started with someone who was very agitated walking into a room and confronting Nancy Pelosi about why nothing has been done regarding the information I have reported. At first I thought that person who confronted her was me but then today I read something in a news article that was consistent with another notion that was somebody else and was something that had happened that day and somehow I was aware of all because of some kind of method of remote communication. Maybe it could be similar to how those kids could sense when other people were talking about them in the 1975 film "Escape to Witch Mountain." So anyway, Nancy Pelosi, who seemed to have two US Navy people in the room, as I think they were wearing khaki uniforms, and I think the person confronting her and that was angry was also US Navy. She told him that there were two people working on my United States military service record that has not yet become public knowledge but that she is fully aware of.

That dream has faded beyond that point but the reason I decided to write about it is what I read a short while ago in "Red Storm Rising." That angry person, who I thought was me as a United States military officer, was then leaving the office and another officer, a woman, asked him, who seemed to be me, if I had yet emptied that "red clip." I have thought about that dialog most off all since then. At first, I thought about how there was also the sense of going to a firing range and the "clip" refers to a firearm magazine. I thought several times about what a "red clip" could mean. I also thought several times, before picking up the book again and I have not read through that section in years, so why would I have vague but highly specific and relevant thoughts about it today?, about that dialog from that 1986 film "Top Gun" about checking for trailers. I thought maybe that could also be a reference to a "red clip" in that "clip" meant "trailer" and that was something to do with the hostile forces.

So the second reason I decided to make this report is because of something I was thinking about earlier this afternoon as I walked back from the grocery store. I was imagining standing there on that hill overlooking Seattle, and I was describing how the people were now zombies, and then I saw the first United States of America federal military atomic bomb explode in front of me and over downtown Seattle Washington and the fireball engulfed me a few seconds later and then, to make a long story short, I was standing there and my radio circuit started working again and the person asked me if I could see their satellite above me in outer space and I looked up and I focused my eyesight in on a tiny spot in the sky and I could see that satellite that would be impossible for anyone to see with normal vision. Then the person on the radio circuit asked me if I could touch the satellite so I flew up and out and I hovered in front of the satellite and its cameras and I still had radio contact and there was some dialog. There was the sense in my mind as I walked back along the sidewalk this afternoon with all that going through my mind about me destroying another satellite while I was up there but then that sense was also that I should not do that and all they wanted me to do was to grab hold of their satellite and move it into a higher altitude above the planet so that would save them some fuel in the satellite and I did that. The person on the radio told me I was done and I had a few other thoughts about what would happen next but that doesn't really seem relevant to this current observation.










RED STORM RISING [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]

Tom Clancy


PRINTING HISTORY

G.P. Putnam's Sons hardcover edition / August 1986

Berkley mass-market edition / August 1987


Page 182


SUNNYVALE, CALIFORNIA

What was holding Washington up? the colonel asked himself. All he needed was a simple yes or no. He checked his boards. Three KH-type photoreconnaissance satellites were currently in orbit, plus nine electronic surveillance birds. That was his low-level "constellation." He didn't fear for his higher-flying navigation and communications satellites, but the twelve in low earth orbit, especially the KHs, were valuable and vulnerable. Two of them had Russian killersats in close proximity, and one of his birds was now approaching Soviet territory, with another only forty minutes behind. The third Key-Hole bird didn't have a satellite assigned yet, but the last pass over Leninsk showed another F-type booster being fueled on the pad.

"Take another look at the trailer," he ordered.

A technician made the requisite commands, and half a world away, the satellite fired its altitude control thrusters and pivoted in space to allow its cameras to search for the Russian killer satellite. It had held position fifty miles behind, and nine miles below the American satellite, but now was ... gone.

"They moved it. They moved it in the last half hour." He lifted the phone to tell CINC-NORAD that he was moving the satellite on his own authority. Too late. As the satellite turned again to point its cameras at the ground, a cylindrical mass covered a sizable percentage of the earth's face - there was a flash and the TV screen went blank. Just like that.

"Chris, you have those maneuver commands set up?"

"Yes, sir," the captain answered, still staring at the screen.

"Execute them right now!"

The captain called up the command sequence on his computer console and punched Enter. The colonel's phone rang as the satellites' onboard rocket motors made subtle changes in their orbital paths.

"Argus Control," the colonel answered.

"This is CINC-NORAD. What the hell happened?"

"That Russian killersat closed and detonated. We have no signal from the KH-11, sir. I must assume they have successfully negated the bird. I've just ordered the other two Key-Holes to make a hundred-foot-per-second delta-V. Tell Washington they waited too long, sir."


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 02 August 2011 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 5:17 PM Friday, September 16, 2011 - http://hvom.blogspot.com/2011/09/star-light-star-bright.html


http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Dead-NASA-satellite-will-soon-plummet-to-Earth-2160989.php


seattle pi


Dead NASA satellite will soon plummet to Earth

SETH BORENSTEIN, AP Science Writer

Updated 02:04 p.m., Thursday, September 8, 2011


WASHINGTON (AP) — A dead NASA satellite will soon fall to Earth





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upper_Atmosphere_Research_Satellite

Wikipedia


Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite


The Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) is an orbital observatory whose mission was to study the Earth’s atmosphere, particularly the protective ozone layer.


End of Mission and Re-Entry

Orbit Lowering Burn

UARS was decommissioned in 2005 and a final orbit lowering burn, followed by the passivation of the satellite's systems was performed in early December. Final re-entry into the atmosphere is expected near 24 September. Some debris may survive to reach the surface.

Re-entry

On September 7, 2011, NASA announced the impending uncontrolled re-entry of UARS and noted that there is a small risk to the public. As of September 15, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 235 km (146 mi) by 265 km (165 mi). Re-entry is expected to take place around the 24th of September.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 16 September 2011 excerpt ends]










1984 film "Night of the Comet" DVD video:

01:08:47


Car radio: and you're listening to 50,000 watts of rock 'n' roll at the tower of power



































DSC05370.JPG










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: posted by H.V.O.M at 11:30 PM Friday, September 07, 2007


I sat in this location for hours and the map is a good illustration of why I was there.


http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=47.621323~-122.355133&style=h&lvl=16&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3695542&rtp=null~null&sp=Polyline.ry4tdy4t3fkf_ry2x1j4t2wb5_Antenna____%230000FF_%23008000_2pt_Single_Solid_ry3vr94t34yv~Polyline.ry4s3h4t3p2z_ry2x0g4t2w9n_Antenna____%230000FF_%23008000_2pt_Single_Solid_ry3v224t3869~Polyline.ry4y8n4t37qg_ry2x354t2wbh_Antenna____%230000FF_%23008000_2pt_Single_Solid_ry3xpx4t3210~Point.ry348h4t2ync_3rd%20%26%20Thomas___~Point.ry2v2q4t311m_Seattle%20P-I___&encType=1


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 07 September 2007 excerpt ends]










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/80261/King_-_The_Stand.html


Stephen King

The Stand - The Complete & Uncut Edition


Chapter 26


Hogliss had a regular bunch of paperboys, but on this clear summer morning he took the papers around himself in his 1948 Cadillac, the big whitewall tires whispering up and down the streets of Durbin… and the streets were painfully empty. The papers were piled on the Cadillac’s seats and in its trunk. It was the wrong day for the Call-Clarion to come out, but the paper was only one page of large type set inside a black border. The word at the top proclaimed EXTRA, the first extra edition Hogliss had put out since 1980, when the Ladybird mine had exploded, entombing forty miners for all time.

The headline read: GOV’T FORCES TRY TO CONCEAL PLAGUE OUTBREAK!

Beneath: “Special to the Call-Clarion by James D. Hogliss.”

Below that: It has been revealed to this reporter by a reliable source that the flu epidemic (sometimes called Choking Sickness or Tube Neck here in West Virginia) is in reality a deadly mutation of the ordinary flu virus created by this government, for purposes of war—and in direct disregard of the revised Geneva accords concerning germ and chemical warfare, accords which representatives of the United States signed seven years ago. The source, who is an army official now stationed in Wheeling, also said that promises of a soon-forthcoming vaccine are ‘a baldfaced lie.’ No vaccine, according to this source, has yet been developed.

“Citizens, this is more than a disaster or a tragedy; it is the end of all hope in our government. If we have indeed done such a thing to ourselves, then…”

Hogliss was sick, and very weak. He seemed to have used the last of his strength composing the editorial. It had gone from him into the words and had not been replaced. His chest was full of phlegm, and even normal breathing was like running uphill. Yet he went methodically from house to house, leaving his broadsides, not even knowing if the houses were still occupied, or if they were, if anyone inside had enough strength left to go out and pick up what he had left.

Finally he was on the west end of town, Poverty Row, with its shacks and trailers and its rank septic-tank smell. Only the papers in the trunk remained and he left it open, its lid flopping slowly up and down as he went over the washboards in the road. He was trying to cope with a fearsome headache, and his vision kept doubling on him.

When the last house, a tumbledown shack near the Rack’s Crossing town line, was taken care of, he still had a bundle of perhaps twenty-five papers. He slit the string which bound them with his old pocketknife and then let the wind take them where the wind would, thinking of his source, a major with dark, haunted eyes who had been transferred from something top secret in California called Project Blue only three months before. The major had been charged with outside security there, and he kept fingering the pistol on his hip as he told Hogliss everything he knew. Hogliss thought it would not be long before the major used the gun, if he hadn’t used it already.

He climbed back behind the wheel of the Cadillac, the only car he had owned since his twenty-seventh birthday, and discovered he was too tired to drive back to town. So he leaned back sleepily, listened to the drowning sounds coming from his chest, and watched the wind blow his extra editions lazily up the road toward Rack’s Crossing. Some of them had caught in the overhanging trees, where they hung like strange fruit. Nearby, he could hear the bubbling, racing sound of Durbin Stream, where he had fished as a boy. There were no fish in it now, of course—the coal companies had seen to that—but the sound was still soothing. He closed his eyes, slept, and died an hour and a half later.

The Los Angeles Times ran only 26,000 copies of their one-page extra before the officers in charge discovered that they were not printing an advertising circular, as they had been told. The reprisal was swift and bloody. The official FBI story was that “radical revolutionaries,” that old bugaboo, had dynamited the L.A. Times ’ presses, causing the death of twenty-eight workers. The FBI didn’t have to explain how the explosion had put bullets in each of the twenty-eight heads



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 5:38 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Monday 06 October 2014