Monday, October 13, 2014

The National Literacy Act of 1991




JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

To: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Fri, June 30, 2006 7:13:43 PM

Subject: Re: Journal June 30, 2006


Kerry Burgess wrote:
Another lousy day of excrutiating seconds wasting away in this homeless shelter, the sunshine illuminates the craziness outside, the air I breathe reminding me I am a captive of cowards, a political prisoner of cowards.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 30 June 2006 excerpt ends]



JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

To: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Fri, June 30, 2006 7:13:43 PM

Subject: Re: Journal June 30, 2006


It's bad enough I have to live with these stinking losers, some worthless piece of shit is urinating in the elevators. I wake up every day wanting to kill the motherfucker that jarred me out of my sleep, making some unseen noise that tells me something is wrong. I have tense dreams of a military life I can't remember. I miss people I don't even know because I can't remember them. Then I want to kill the fat punk motherfucker screwing around with my food. Then I go downstairs and have to wash my clothes in those nasty ass washing machines. It's bad enough they wash the goddamned mops in them, but now I pull out all kinds of crap out of the one I am using, including dead goddamned bugs. It's as though I am living in some Night Of The Living Dead movie.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 30 June 2006 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

To: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Sat, February 11, 2006 4:05:02 PM

Subject: Re: Sleep journal 2/11/06


I have also been wondering, thinking back to that dream manipulation in 1999, whether my dreams are literal interpretations of what they are suggesting or whether my own mental mechanisms are producing something different from what they want. In other words, when I was waking up calling out my friends name


Kerry Burgess wrote:
Nothing spectacular about my dreams last night. I remember two different segments. One had some basic symbolism in it that seemed uninterestingly relevant. The other was more complex and had symbolic elements in it as well.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 11 February 2006 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 9/22/2006 11:32 PM


reinforcing my theory that she someone how reflects how close I was to death, maybe I was surrounded by corpses at some point, I’m not sure. Maybe they actually did bury me at some point when I was a captive but I dug my way out. Or maybe it is just symbolic of returning from a very near death situation.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 22 September 2006 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 12:42 PM Monday, September 19, 2011


Back and forth my car rolled in the parking lot.





I pulled the emergency brake handle but that didn't help. My car rolled forwards and backwards as I was stomping on the brake pedal to get it to stop in the parking spot I wanted in the parking lot in front of an office building complex I had gone to in response to a company calling me to provide technical support to their computer system. The parking lot had a slope to it and it peaked near the painted line the separated two parking spots and I would roll backwards and forwards between those two spots. I thought maybe if I could slow enough to stop on that peak then maybe that would do something. Towards the end of the dream my car had rolled out of the paved parking lot and into a dirt and grass covered area and there was a sign there with words on it I cannot visualize. As I rolled into the dirt and grass area and seemed to stop there because of some kind of obstruction such as a dense line of tree, although that is not established in the dream, in the distance I could see a woman laughing and I asked in the dream or I wanted to ask her in the dream if my car would get towed if I left it parked there in that dirt and grass covered area near the paved parking lot. You would think I would stop having these dreams now that I know why I have them.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 19 September 2011 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 11/13/07 3:08 AM
There seems to be something important about a dream I had a few hours earlier. I can't remember all the details to it now but it seems that I was actually thinking while I was sleeping about the dream I had earlier as I was sleeping. That makes me think I wanted to remember the dream when I woke up. Not sure how that works. Anyway, the operative detail about the dream seems to be that I was leaving a hospital where I had been a patient but I can't remember any details about being in there as a patient, which is puzzling me for reasons I can't articulate. So I was leaving and there were 2 people with me that I guess were taking me out of there. There was a doctor talking to me and perhaps another person with him. I found myself thinking about that doctor giving me a folder, apparently with information relevant to me, and that doctor refered to me as doctor, in terms of that also being my title.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 13 November 2007 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 8:12 AM Tuesday, September 20, 2011


Bawk bawk bawk bawk bawk!





Am I finally getting through to you chicken cowards? At long last, have I left you with a sense for courage?

Or is my task futile and you were born a coward and you will remains always cowards, with me trying to figure out to talk to you in the only ancient language you understand: the language of cowards.










Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk

Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk

Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk

Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk

Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk Bawk!










You tell me. I'm just trying to create some balanced reporting here and see the world as you cowards see it. Inform me on how you chickens communicate among chickens.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 20 September 2011 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 3:00 PM Thursday, August 25, 2011


Alex and Michael





I woke up this morning and I guess I had just then been dreaming about a story I was writing about those two. I was feeling as though the details were something I had been thinking of before I awoke. I awoke thinking about how if there were ever in this world two little kids that needed firearms then those are the two. I thought about how little Alex had an Uzi and he opened up on Susan Smith with that Uzi and he ripped a full clip at her and that stupid kid only hit the cat nearby on the floor which exploded into a big splatter of blood and hair over the wall and he got Susan in the foot with one bullet from that full magazine but that isn't surprising because 15-month-old kids can't aim firearms very well and Michael was banging away at her with a pair of Colt .45 semiautomatic pistols and he emptied both clips and only got her in the leg one time. So I don't know what I was dreaming of. Maybe that was something from part of something I wrote a long time ago after I found those kids in the lake.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 25 August 2011 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 3:40 PM Saturday, June 04, 2011


http://www.tv.com/the-simpsons/e-i-e-i-annoyed-grunt/episode/1516/recap.html

tv.com

The Simpsons

Season 11, Episode 5

E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)

Air Date

Sunday November 7, 1999


The Simpson family goes to see a Zorro movie. Snake is rude after the movie, so to protect Marge's honor Homer challenges him to a duel, but Snake runs away at the onset of conflict. Overfilled with confidence, Homer starts challenging everyone to a duel by slapping them his glove. It gets him his way, until he slaps a Southern Colonel. The Colonel accepts his challenge and shows up at his front door at dawn. Homer chickens out and the family flees town. The man and his wife set up camp on Homer's lawn, while the Simpson family searches for a place to stay. Homer remembers Abe's old farm, so they go there and they become farmers.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 04 June 2011 excerpt ends]











View Larger Map



https://maps.google.com/?ll=47.668798,-117.162323&spn=0.000014,0.016512&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=47.668887,-117.164375&panoid=7iAtfa0Q31r0yPlEymnQkw&cbp=12,278.7,,0,-1.08

Google Maps


1288 N Long Rd, Spokane Valley, Washington, United States

Address is approximate





http://www.spokanevalley.org/content/77/136/default.aspx

CITY OF Spokane Valley


About Us


The City was incorporated on March 31, 2003.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 5:18 PM Sunday, March 04, 2012


This reminds me so much of a dream I had yesterday that I cannot help but to post here this observation because I just read this part and I wonder why I would have a dream now - why now - about something that seems so similar.

I mean, the issue is largely the same. It is about derivative works. How can I have a dream that is derivative of something that I have not read in months and why would I dream derivative details about that part? And why now?

The dream was yesterday I think. I have thought often about it and I have thought about writing it down somewhere but I never did, until now. I have been puzzling over whether is was associated somehow with the dream I awoke from this morning which was the second of two dreams, with the first probably more than two weeks ago, where I found myself falling a great distance and I knew there was no way I would survive the fall, in reality, but in the dream I did. As in the first dream, I was falling backwards towards the ground and I had fallen off, what seemed to be a mountain and I was in a pickup truck and the driver said something to me, which I do not recall now but his words were to the effect of "Oops" and as we fell straight down for what seemed to be at least a mile straight down I was thinking that whole way down and I had enough time to think about it and to begin to accept that I would splatter on the ground and, as with the first dream, I improbably began to see people standing on the ground come into my field of view so that meant I was only about three feet above the ground after falling for a mile or so and I knew the end was near. And then I knew the end was there. And then I sat up and looked around and there was nothing really scary about it. The fall was over and I was fine. I still remember how I felt glad afterwards that it was over. I dwell on that feeling more often as the day goes on today after having that dream this morning.

So anyway, in the dream I started off here to write about, I had that dream again about that house I used to own in South Carolina. This time, as with how certain details always vary, I was living there with a group of other people, which is a new detail. I didn't recall any of the people in the dream. So one person and I and digging a trench in the front yard that extends to the curb at the corner of the lot at the front yard. Then we are going to dig a trench that extends along the yard along the street in front of the house. At some point, I seem to be talking to someone about how there used to be a patch of juniper shrubs on each side on the inside of the circle driveway in front of the house. I was looking at it and the junipers were mostly gone and all that was left was some bare branches and I started to pull those up and removing them from the ground. I pulled up the first one and that was when I saw there was a hole in the ground. I started digging and I discovered what I thought over later was one of those big shipping containers and that was buried there. I found some stuff inside there and I think I forget some of the details now. Oh, right. Sports equipment. I saw maybe a bicycle. I definitely saw diving gear and a helmet for some deep diving gear. I remember I found a tiny FM radio of a type I remember owning long ago and it was about the size of a quarter but it was closer to cylindrical shape. A child was there near me then, who seemed to be part of the group living in the house with me, and I was showing her how the radio worked and I operated a slide lever on the side to turn on the radio. I might have found other stuff in there but I don't recall now. I do recall I found a stack of cash. It seemed to be all forty dollar bills though and after being awake for a while I started thinking that the color was wrong and that might now [ CORRECTION: might not ] have been United States currency.

Then I found a second container next to that one and that was to the right-hand side if you were standing in front of the house and looking towards the street. That one made me start thinking after being awake that it was not a large metal shipping container but just a small brick structure. I remember having a hard time reaching into the back to get all the items but now I am not certain if I am thinking of the third compartment I found that was to the right of the second compartment, as though they were stacked side-by-side and buried underground on the slope of that hill that was my property.

What I do recall about the second container is that I pulled out a large platter of what seemed to be barbecued chicken portions. The metal platter reminds of what you might see in a large restaurant where a lot of the portions are being cooked at one time. The scenery is contradictory in my mind as I try to visualize and I seemed to have been pulling out other portions of various types of animals that were cooked for meals. The whole scene left me with an unappetizing notion about that food. Especially since it seemed to have been sealed in there for a few decades.

I forgot what all I found in the third container, and I think I am thinking of details about the third container but this all less clear now. I remember clearly pulling out a book that had "Senator" printed on it and I think there was person's name on it too, but I don't recall those details now.

The point of all this is that at some point, I feel certain after I discovered the containers and their contents, I was handed a piece of paper that was legal size and it had some similar to a manila folder page behind it, although it wasn't the standard manila folder color and it was the size of legal paper too, although slightly larger, and I think it was bluish-green.

I don't recall the precise words on that legal-size sheet of paper but the message was that some delivery company had attempted to deliver a parcel to me and they had left the parcel, or letter, or registered letter, or something that I don't really recall, at the house of my neighbor, which I shared a property line with, on the right-hand side from the front of my house and looking toward the street.

According to the details I became aware of in the dream, the occupant of that house was "Houck." That was the guy's name. I heard some dialog, including my own, about pronouncing his name as "Hawk."

As best I recall now from the dream, that sheet of paper informed me, of which there was a great more detail than could be associated with such a message, that the delivery company had attempted to deliver a package to my house but I wasn't there so they left it at the house of my neighbor, "Houck."

I looked over there at that house and all the lights were off. The message indicated, I don't recall the precise details, that the package was something from the AT&T company, and I have been left with the sense since being awake and after thinking about it quite a few times that it was some kind of promotional item from them and looking at the lights being off at that house, I thought of how trying to find out if anyone was home so I could get the package did not seem overly important at that time.

A few years ago, I would have wrote here about one other detail that in the context of the dream that the narrator had told me in that foreign dream that "Houck had something for me." I cannot now recall if that was precisely the words I had the sense of from the dream but that seems close enough. That sense was also present that what ever it was that had been left for me at that house wasn't all that important and for some reason I think that is just some kind of message in itself that was being communicated to my by means that I don't fully understand at this time.

I think that was the ending of the dream. I thought about it a lot because that was another dream about that house I used to own in Greer South Carolina.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 04 March 2012 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 8:00 AM Saturday, October 29, 2011


Not 40 dollars. 40 *minutes*





http://www.cswap.com/2005/Stealth/cap/en/2_Parts/b/00_12

Stealth


:12:26
George, I've been peeling away layers.
I found something. It's not good.

:12:30
- Talk to me.
- He's into some super-secure file...

:12:33
...something called "Caviar Sweep. "
You know it?

:12:36
Yeah, I know it.

:12:38
EDI's, like, fixated on it.

:12:40
Look, when we gave you this contract,
you said shit like this couldn't happen.

:12:44
Once you teach something to learn,
you can't put limits on it.

:12:47
"Learn this, but don't learn that. "

:12:49
EDI's mind's going everywhere.
He can learn from Hitler.

:12:52
He can learn from Captain Kangaroo.
It's all the same.

:12:54
Settle down, would you?
Get back to Caviar Sweep.

:12:58
He's opened it
and selected himself a target.

:13:01
What target?

:13:03
Some place in Siberia.
A cold-fusion weapons lab.

:13:07
That's a hypothetical strike.
It's not real.

:13:10
No, in about 40 minutes
it is gonna be real.

:13:12
He's gonna blow it
off the face of the Earth.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 29 October 2011 excerpt ends]










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=26452

The American Presidency Project

Lyndon B. Johnson

XXXVI President of the United States: 1963 - 1969

528 - Remarks Upon Signing the Economic Opportunity Act.

August 20, 1964










http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4534274/ns/nbc_nightly_news_with_brian_williams/t/nixon-targeted-kerry-anti-war-views

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams

Nixon targeted Kerry for anti-war views

White House tapes reveal then-president’s attempt to discredit Kerry during 1971 war protests, Senate testimony


By Brian Williams

Anchor & “Nightly News” managing editor

NBC News

updated 3/16/2004 6:59:03 AM ET


O’Neill: Mr. Kerry is the type of person who lives and survives only on the war weariness and fears of the American people. This is the same little man who on nationwide television










From 3/3/1959 ( the birthdate in Hawaii of my biological brother Thomas Reagan ) To 8/20/1964 ( Lyndon Johnson - Remarks Upon Signing the Economic Opportunity Act ) is 1997 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/22/1971 is 1997 days



From 6/19/1968 ( the 1st United States Navy Medal of Honor date of record of my biological brother Thomas Reagan the United States Navy officer and Thomas Reagan is the only United States of America military fighter jet ace-in-single-day during the Vietnam War ) To 4/22/1971 is 1037 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 9/4/1968 ( Lyndon Johnson - Executive Order 11427 - Terminating the Maritime Advisory Committee ) is 1037 days



From 12/31/1962 ( premiere US film "40 Pounds of Trouble" ) To 6/19/1968 ( the 1st United States Navy Medal of Honor date of record of my biological brother Thomas Reagan the United States Navy officer and Thomas Reagan is the only United States of America military fighter jet ace-in-single-day during the Vietnam War ) is 1997 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/22/1971 is 1997 days



From 7/13/1957 ( premiere US film "The Blue Danube" ) To 6/19/1968 ( the 1st United States Navy Medal of Honor date of record of my biological brother Thomas Reagan the United States Navy officer and Thomas Reagan is the only United States of America military fighter jet ace-in-single-day during the Vietnam War ) is 3994 days

3994 = 1997 + 1997

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/22/1971 is 1997 days



From 10/14/1962 ( the Cuban Missile Crisis begins ) To 4/2/1968 ( premiere US film "2001: A Space Odyssey" ) is 1997 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/22/1971 is 1997 days



From 4/2/1968 ( premiere US film "2001: A Space Odyssey" ) To 9/20/1973 ( Jim Croce killed in airplane crash ) is 1997 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/22/1971 is 1997 days



From 10/3/1955 ( premiere US TV series "The Mickey Mouse Club" ) To 9/9/1966 ( premiere US TV series "The Time Tunnel":series premiere episode "Rendezvous With Yesterday" ) is 3994 days

3994 = 1997 + 1997

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/22/1971 is 1997 days



From 1/31/1964 ( premiere US TV series episode "The Twilight Zone"::"Black Leather Jackets" ) To 7/20/1969 ( my biological brother United States Navy Commander Thomas Reagan was United States Apollo 11 Eagle spacecraft United States Navy astronaut landing and walking on the planet Earth's moon ) is 1997 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/22/1971 is 1997 days





http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/09/13/flashback_the_hypocrisy_of_the_haughty_john_kerry_who_served_in_vietnam

THE Rush Limbaugh SHOW


Flashback: The Hypocrisy of the Haughty John Kerry (Who Served in Vietnam)

September 13, 2012

BEGIN TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Here's John Kerry yesterday in Washington on Capitol Hill talking with reporters about the attacks on the US embassies in Libya and Egypt, and he had to throw in some words about Mitt Romney.

KERRY 2012: To make those kinds of statements before you even know the facts -- uh, before families have even been notified, before things have, uh, played out -- uh, is really not just inexperienced. It's irresponsible, it's callous, it's reckless. And I think he ought to apologize. Uh, and -- and I don't think he knows what he's talking about, frankly. It's that simple.

RUSH: Before the families have been notified? Romney was reacting to everything everybody else knew! But, anyway, John Kerry says, "That's irresponsible. It's callous. You don't speak out before you know the facts. He ought to apologize!" Well, this guy ought to know. April 22, 1971, Vietnam Veteran John Kerry testifying before a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing.

KERRY 1971: They told the stories of times that they had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in a fashion reminiscent of Jen-giss Khan. Not isolated incidents, but crimes committed on a day-to-day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command.

RUSH: There's John Kerry undermining the Vietnam War in 1971 at a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing -- lying! Lying about these atrocities that had not occurred. December 4th, 2005, CBS Face the Nation, John Kerry discussing the troops and the war in Iraq.

KERRY 2005: There is no reason, Bob, that young American soldiers need to be going into the homes of Iraqis in the dead of night, terrorizing kids and children -- uh, you know, women -- breaking sort of the customs of the... historical customs, religious customs, whether you like it or not. Iraqis should be doing that!

RUSH: (laughing) Iraqis should be the terrorists! Iraqis should be doing the raping. Iraqis should be randomly shooting at civilians. Iraqis should be "terrorizing kids and children." Now, he was reacting to allegations which were later proven to be false. He was reacting to allegations that the Marines in Haditha had raped and pillaged -- and there was another Democrat, John Murtha, who also jumped on this bandwagon before he knew the truth of anything.

Romney has done nothing of the sort! Romney has not done one thing that even approaches what John Kerry and the Democrats routinely did during the last four years of the Iraq war, 2004 through 2008. Romney hasn't even gotten close to showing this disrespect for the troops or harboring desires of defeat. Romney accused no troops of any malfeasance. There's your modern-day Democrat Party personified by the arrogant, pompous, haughty John Kerry -- who, by the way, served in Vietnam, as he loves to always remind people.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057069/releaseinfo

IMDb


40 Pounds of Trouble (1962)

Release Info

USA 31 December 1962










http://www.tv.com/shows/the-twilight-zone/black-leather-jackets-12723/trivia/

tv.com


The Twilight Zone Season 5 Episode 18

Black Leather Jackets

Aired Unknown Jan 31, 1964 on CBS

Quotes


(Opening Narration)

Narrator: Three strangers arrive in a small town, three men in black leather jackets in an empty rented house. We'll call them Steve and Scott and Fred, but their names are not important; their mission is, as three men on motorcycles lead us into the Twilight Zone.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=26457

The American Presidency Project

Lyndon B. Johnson

XXXVI President of the United States: 1963 - 1969

532 - Statement by the President on the Agreements for the Establishment of a Global Communications Satellite System.

August 20, 1964

OVER THE YEARS of man's history on this earth, men have undertaken many explorations of distant horizons. But, in all this long span, no new horizon has so clearly beckoned for nations to work together as the horizons of space.

Today it is a cause of gratification among men everywhere that 11 nations are this afternoon joining together to lay the foundation for an immeasurably valuable new use of space as medium for international communications.

The two agreements signed today provide for the establishment of a global commercial communications satellite system. These agreements are firm expressions of the policy written into the law of our land by the will of our people.

The United States--from the beginning of the age of space--has sought and encouraged cooperation among all nations for peaceful and practical uses of this new dimension. These agreements fulfill that objective.

We will continue to seek--as we have sought--the fullest measure of cooperation by all nations on this earth for the peaceful use of the realms of space around us.

These agreements are open for signatures by all countries that are members of the International Telecommunication Union. Countries that do not sign the agreements will be able to use the global system.

The prospects for development of communications systems in space outrun our imagination. In the future, the voices, messages, and pictures will span the barriers of distance on earth and bring men and nations closer together in understanding and cooperation.

By 1965 an experimental operational satellite is expected to link North America and Europe. In 1966 and 1967 a system will be launched to provide global coverage--for the first time.

The benefits will be many to all of mankind.

We mark this day with pride and confidence--pride that nations are working together and we work with them--confidence that from such cooperation will come sure progress toward fulfillment of man's great hope for finding in our times the basis of honorable and universal peace.

Note: The agreements were reached at the International Conference to Establish Interim Arrangements for a Global Commercial Communication Satellite System, held in Washington, July 21-24, 1964. The meeting was the culmination of a series of conferences and discussions held during the previous year, and was attended by representatives of 18 nations. The U.S. delegation was headed by G. Griffith Johnson, Assistant Secretary of State for Economic Affairs, who served as chairman.










http://www.nbcnews.com/id/4534274/ns/nbc_nightly_news_with_brian_williams/t/nixon-targeted-kerry-anti-war-views

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams

Nixon targeted Kerry for anti-war views

White House tapes reveal then-president’s attempt to discredit Kerry during 1971 war protests, Senate testimony


By Brian Williams

Anchor & “Nightly News” managing editor

NBC News

updated 3/16/2004 6:59:03 AM ET

John Kerry’s first steps onto the national political stage took place back in 1971, when as a returning Vietnam War hero, Kerry led fellow veterans to Washington to protest against the Vietnam War and testify to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee about the horrors of the war he had seen first hand. Now an NBC News examination of White House audio tapes shows that Kerry’s leadership drew the attention and the ire of President Richard Nixon.

Kerry was a leader of Vietnam Veterans Against the War and went to Washington for a week in April, 1971 to protest, lobby Congress, even to return hundreds of medals and service decorations — thrown into a heap on Capitol Hill. Though the president was gradually withdrawing American ground troops, the veterans said that wasn’t enough. They wanted the United States to pull out immediately.

The Nixon administration went to court to block the 1,200 veterans from camping out on the Mall during their protest, but Kerry and his group stayed put. The reaction from Nixon’s inner circle was real contempt for the veterans. In private conversations inside the White House, Nixon called them “horrible” and “bastards,” H.R. "Bob" Haldeman described the veterans as “ratty-looking,” and Henry Kissinger dismissed them as “inarticulate.”

But John Kerry was just the opposite — presentable, politically astute and very articulate. He appeared before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee to testify against the war, critical of the President’s Vietnam policy. “Someone has to die,” Kerry told the committee, “so that President Nixon won’t be, and these are his words, ‘the first President to lose a war.’”

Kerry also questioned the administration’s strategy of gradual “Vietnamization” of the war — pulling out U.S. ground troops, and turning the war over to the South Vietnamese military. “How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Vietnam?” Kerry demanded. “How do you ask a man to be the last man to die for a mistake?”

White House attention

Kerry's testimony reached a national audience, including, we now know from once-secret White House tapes, the president himself, who brought it up with his chief of staff Bob Haldeman. Here is an excerpt from a tape recorded on April 23, 1971, the day after Kerry’s Senate testimony:

Nixon: Apparently, this fellow, uh, that they put in the front row, is that what you say, the front [unintelligible] the real stars — Kerry.

Haldeman: Kerry. He is, he did a hell of a great job on the, uh --

Nixon: He was extremely effective.

And Haldeman concluded: “I think you’ll find Kerry running for political office.”

Kerry ended his week in Washington with a speech to a huge anti-war rally at the U.S. Capitol, again pointing the finger at the Nixon administration for its conduct of the war, and its reaction to the veterans’ protests. “This is a government that cares more about the legality of where men sleep than the legality of where we drop bombs and why men die,” Kerry declared.

The Nixon White House saw Kerry as a threat, and set out to discredit him and infiltrate his organization. The week after the protest rally, Nixon is heard discussing Kerry with White House aide Charles Colson:

Colson: This fellow Kerry that they had on last week --

Nixon: Yeah.

Colson: -- hell, he turns out to be, uh, really quite a phony.

Nixon: Well, he is sort of a phony, isn't he?

Colson: Well, he stayed, when he was here --

Nixon: Stayed out in Georgetown, yeah. [edit]

Colson: -- was out at the best restaurants every night and, uh --

Nixon: Sure.

Colson: -- you know, he's just, the complete opportunist.

Nixon: A racket, sure. [edit]

Colson: We’ll keep hitting him, Mr. President.

Nixon's counter-attack

Colson was Nixon’s point man against Kerry, and he found a weapon in another veteran: John O’Neill. He was a spokesman for Vietnam Veterans for a Just Peace, which backed Nixon administration policy in Vietnam, and in turn was supported by the White House.

John O’Neill, selected to debate John Kerry about the Vietman War, in the Oval Office with President Nixon and White House aide Charles Colson.

Fresh out of the Navy like Kerry, O’Neill was angry at Kerry for saying U.S. servicemen in Vietnam routinely committed war crimes. The weekend before the Washington protests, Kerry made the accusations on NBC’s Meet the Press, saying, “I committed the same kind of atrocities as thousands of other soldiers have committed, in that I took part in shootings in free fire zones.” And, Kerry claimed, “I took part in search and destroy missions, in the burning of villages. All this is contrary to the laws of warfare.”

John O’Neill hit back at Kerry with administration-orchestrated press appearances of his own, including a news conference that June. O’Neill asked rhetorically, “Shall Mr. Kerry and his little group of one thousand or twelve thousand embittered men be allowed to represent their views as that of all veterans, because they can appear on every news program? I hope not, for the country’s sake.”

After the news conference, O’Neill met with Charles Colson at the White House, where the attack on Kerry was seen as a public relations coup. In a conversation with the president, Haldeman gave the credit to Charles Colson, and raved about John O’Neill:

Haldeman: -- crew cut, real sharp looking guy who is more articulate than Kerry. He’s not as eloquent; he isn’t the ham that Kerry is. But he’s more believable. [edit]

Haldeman: This guy now, is gonna, he’s gonna move on Kerry.

The White House encouraged O’Neill to challenge Kerry to a debate. Kerry agreed and before the event, President Nixon called O’Neill into the Oval Office for a pep talk. “It’s a great service to the country,” declared the president.

Nixon: Give it to him, give it to him. And you can do it, because you have a pleasant manner, too, because you’ve got — and I think it’s a great service to the country. [edit]

Nixon: You fellows have been out there. You’ve got to know, seeing the barbarians that we’re up against, you’ve got to know what we’re doing in that horrible swamp that North Vietnam is. You’ve got to know from all our faults of what we have in this country that, that what we’re doing is right. You’ve got to know too, people are critics. Critics of the war, critics of [unint], run America down. [edit] You’ve gotta know that you’re on the winning s—that, that you’re on the right side.

Two weeks later, the veterans squared off on the popular Dick Cavett show:

O’Neill: Mr. Kerry is the type of person who lives and survives only on the war weariness and fears of the American people. This is the same little man who on nationwide television in April spoke of, quote, crimes committed on a day to day basis with the full awareness of officers at all levels of command.

Kerry: We believe as veterans who took part in this war we have nothing to gain by coming back here and talking about those things that have happened except to try and point the way to America, to try and say, here is where we went wrong, and we’ve got to change.

Later that year, even as the war continued, Kerry left the increasingly radical Vietnam Veterans Against the War. But the Nixon White House kept after John Kerry. It’s said that when Kerry ran for Congress in 1972, Nixon stayed up late on election night until he knew for sure that Kerry had been defeated.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_Opportunity_Act_of_1964


Economic Opportunity Act of 1964

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Signed into law by President Lyndon B. Johnson on August 20, 1964










http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/14/us/for-supreme-court-first-amendment-sometimes-has-a-limit-its-doorstep.html?partner=EXCITE&ei=5043&_r=0

The New York Times


First Amendment’s Limit: The Supreme Court’s Plaza

OCT. 13, 2014

WASHINGTON — The First Amendment is strong medicine, the Supreme Court keeps telling us, and it even requires vulnerable people to listen to things they do not want to hear.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. explained this in 2011 to the father of a fallen soldier who had to endure a hateful protest while he tried to lay his son to rest. The First Amendment, the chief justice said, protects “even hurtful speech on public issues to ensure that we do not stifle public debate.”

In June, Chief Justice Roberts told women seeking abortions essentially the same thing in a decision striking down buffer zones around clinics in Massachusetts. “Vital First Amendment interests,” he said, required women to hear from opponents of abortion in the fraught moments before they entered those clinics.

But the Supreme Court’s devotion to the First Amendment has its limits. It stops at the edge of the grand marble plaza outside its own courthouse.

That vast and inviting space, with its benches and fountains, seems better suited to public debate than a military funeral or the sidewalk outside an abortion clinic. But the court insists on banning free speech on the plaza. Court police officers have been known to instruct visitors to remove small buttons bearing political messages.

Last year, a federal judge struck down the law that bans protests on the plaza, calling it “irreconcilable with the First Amendment.” Pamela Talkin, the marshal of the Supreme Court, appealed the decision, and last month, a three-judge panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit heard arguments.

The case involves Harold H. Hodge Jr., a student from Maryland who was arrested on the plaza in 2011. His crime was wearing a sign that read “U.S. Gov. Allows Police to Illegally Murder and Brutalize African Americans and Hispanic People.”

Such a statement, on a topic of urgent public interest, would seem to be precisely what the First Amendment was intended to protect. Then again, a Supreme Court police officer once threatened a woman with arrest for displaying a sign bearing the verbatim text of the First Amendment.










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=twelve-monkeys

Springfield! Springfield!


Twelve Monkeys (1995)


Check the papers.
It's all proper.
I have a permit.
- It's empty.
- Well, yes, to be sure.
It looks empty;
but I assure you, it's not.
- You don't understand.
- No, I don't have to understand.










http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/14/us/for-supreme-court-first-amendment-sometimes-has-a-limit-its-doorstep.html

The New York Times


First Amendment’s Limit: The Supreme Court’s Plaza

OCT. 13, 2014


Such a statement, on a topic of urgent public interest, would seem to be precisely what the First Amendment was intended to protect. Then again, a Supreme Court police officer once threatened a woman with arrest for displaying a sign bearing the verbatim text of the First Amendment.

The law invoked by the officers, enacted in 1949, bars “processions or assemblages” or the display of “a flag, banner or device designed or adapted to bring into public notice a party, organization or movement” in the Supreme Court building or on its grounds.

The Supreme Court addressed the law in 1983, in United States v. Grace, ruling that it could not be applied to demonstrations on the public sidewalks around the court. Since then, the sidewalks, which are broad and set off by stairs from the plaza, have been regularly used for protests of all kinds.

But the First Amendment vanishes when concrete turns to marble, Justice Department lawyers representing Ms. Talkin told the appeals court. Their primary argument for the distinction was a curious one.

“Demonstrations outside courthouses might give rise to actual or apparent efforts to subject judicial officers to improper influence,” they said in a brief.

The idea that the justices would actually be swayed by protest signs on the plaza borders on the silly. If they were susceptible to that sort of influence, there is no reason to think that signs on the sidewalk would be less effective.

That leaves the question of public perception. In the 1983 decision, the court said the law might be justified by a desire to prevent the public from thinking “that the Supreme Court is subject to outside influence.”

The fear here is not that the justices would in fact respond to protests, but that people would mistakenly think they did. That is not a flattering view of the populace.

It is also at odds with one of the core messages of the Citizens United decision, which assumed that people in a democracy would respond with skeptical discernment to the political messages that bombard them before elections.

We honor the First Amendment, Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote for the majority, by allowing everyone to speak and “entrusting the people to judge what is true and what is false.”

The Supreme Court is not even particularly consistent in how it treats speech on its plaza.

In a sworn statement in 2012, Timothy Dolan, deputy chief of the Supreme Court’s police force, conceded that “the court allows attorneys and parties in cases that have been argued to address the media on the plaza immediately following argument.” The court also occasionally permits “commercial or professional filming on the plaza,” he said.

It seems that people with power or connections can use the plaza. Mr. Hodge, who sought to call attention to police brutality, cannot.

Justice Thurgood Marshall, who knew something about the power of protests, dissented in the 1983 case. “Visitors to this court,” he wrote, “do not lose their First Amendment rights at the edge of the sidewalks.”

He died in 1993, long before the court fully established the double standard requiring grieving parents and distraught women to experience the gale force of the First Amendment while shielding the justices from its slightest breeze. But Justice Marshall seemed to sense where things were heading.

“It would be ironic indeed,” he said, “if an exception to the Constitution were to be recognized for the very institution that has the chief responsibility for protecting constitutional rights.”










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=training-day

Springfield! Springfield!


Training Day (2001)


Tell me a story, Hoyt.
- Like my story?
- Not your story, a story.
Since you can't shut up
so I can read, tell me a story.
- I don't know any.
- You don't?
- No.
- I'll tell you one.
This is a newspaper, right?
It's 90 percent bullshit.
But it's entertaining. So I read it.
It entertains me. You won't let me
read it, so you entertain me.
Tell me a story now. Go.










From 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 also known as Matthew Kline for official duty and also known as Wayne Newman for official duty ) To 9/15/1997 is 2433 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/1/1972 ( the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives formed as separate organization from the United States Internal Revenue Service ) is 2433 days



From 1/17/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - the Persian Gulf War begins as scheduled severe criminal activity against the United States of America ) To 9/15/1997 is 2433 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/1/1972 ( the United States Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives formed as separate organization from the United States Internal Revenue Service ) is 2433 days



From 12/25/1971 ( George Walker Bush the purveyor of illegal drugs strictly for his personal profit including the trafficking of massive amounts of cocaine into the United States confined to federal prison in Mexico for illegally smuggling narcotics in Mexico ) To 9/15/1997 is 9396 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/25/1991 ( George Bush - Remarks on Signing the National Literacy Act of 1991 ) is 9396 days



[ See also: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2013/03/george-walker-bush-homosexual-espionage.html ]
[ See also: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2014/10/the-national-literacy-act-of-1991.html ]


http://www.tv.com/shows/pensacola-wings-of-gold/yesterday-upon-the-stair-1-35735/

tv.com


Pensacola: Wings of Gold Season 1 Episode 1

Yesterday, Upon the Stair... (1)

AIRED: 9/15/97










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigonish_(poem)


Antigonish (poem)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Antigonish" is an 1899 poem by American educator and poet Hughes Mearns. It is also known as "The Little Man Who Wasn't There", and was a hit song under that title.


Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
I wish, I wish he’d go away...

When I came home last night at three
The man was waiting there for me
But when I looked around the hall
I couldn’t see him there at all!
Go away, go away, don’t you come back any more!
Go away, go away, and please don’t slam the door... (slam!)

Last night I saw upon the stair
A little man who wasn’t there
He wasn’t there again today
Oh, how I wish he’d go away



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 3:07 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Monday 13 October 2014