Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Prime Time



Kerry Burgess, Tue Mar 26 21:54:52 2019

The typical United States American is childish and naive. Your feeble, dim-wit mind always thinks that movies, especially action, are always about *somebody*. Americans, in their pathetic lives, are incapable of seeing through the messenger to the message.








Tomorrowland (2015)

(from internet transcript)

Casey Newton: What is that? Is that a countdown? I am not leaving. I deserve to know what's going on around here.

Frank Walker: (mocking) You deserve...

Casey Newton: Yeah, I deserve some answers.

Frank Walker: Answers to what?

Casey Newton: I know that you were there.

Frank Walker: You don't know anything.

Casey Newton: How do you ever leave a place like that?

Frank Walker: Because they threw me out! They threw me out and they locked every door back in.

Casey Newton: Was it because you built that something that you shouldn't have?

Frank Walker: Who told you that?








from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: 09/03/09 4:34 AM
This reminds me of a dream I awoke a few hours ago. I remember glancing at the clock and it read 10:02 PM but that clock is 2 minutes faster than the time on the internet-connected computer so that means the correct time was probably exactly 10 PM. The dream started off that I was with a group of people in a jungle. I think one of them said something about a drought but I don't now remember what he said to his wife and after I thought about it after waking up I wondered if there had actually been a flood and we were stuck on the high ground with no where to go but in the water. So that guy who said something did jump in the water and then his wife did and then their young son. I followed them and I could see land far off in the distance that we were swimming towards. The first person was well ahead of us and I could see myself and I seemed to be fully clothed and perhaps in U.S. military gear because I think that I could see gloves on my hands similar to what a pilot wears and I saw that I was getting into a routine of long-distance swimming. The woman and her son seemed to be near by and to my right side. I noticed something up ahead in the water and for some reason that is not obvious in the dream, I decided that was hippotamus near the surface of the water but it was far enough away that it probably wouldn't bother us. But then some time later another one surfaced near by and it was definitely too close. It started coming after us and I told the woman to swim away from me and we slit up and I was going in a direction towards land that was about 45 degrees or less from the original direction we were heading. Whe I told her to split off from me, I was looking to see that the hippo was swimming very close behind me and then I quickly turned as I was swimming so that I turned around behind the hippo. That seems to be when I made a full circle or almost full circle and so that I was swimming in a direction about 45 degrees or maybe about 35 degrees to the right of our original heading. After some time in the dream I looked back and the hippo had caught up with me again and was gaining ground on me. I could see land up ahead in the distance but there was no way I was going to make. The dream seems to have ended there and that was when I woke up and got up out of bed although I did go back to sleep for a few more hours.








https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1991-06-15-9102230086-story.html

Chicago Tribune

MAKING SENSE OF A MADE-FOR-TV WAR

Robert D. Deutsch and Yonah Alexander

CHICAGO TRIBUNE

June 15, 1991

Since the end of the gulf war, a formal cease-fire has been signed, and we have been served up no less than three prime-time ''welcome home'' shows. This Memorial Day we saw many ceremonies honoring our troops who served in the gulf. Within the last week victory celebration took place in Washington, D.C., and New York. This is all as it should be.

When the parades are completed and all our troops are home safely, from the vantage point of looking back, we need to examine just how the war was presented on TV. Americans define the ground phase of Operation Desert Storm as the ''100-hour war.'' It is worthwhile to recall how fitting it was that one of the last acts we saw of Operation Desert Storm on TV was a handful of Iraqi soldiers surrendering to network correspondents wielding only camera and satellite dish.

Vietnam might have been the first ''living room'' war, but despite censorship and pool reporters, the gulf conflict was surely a made-for-TV war.



https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1996-01-09-1996009096-story.html

The Baltimore Sun

GENERAL DISARRAY TV preview: "The Gulf War" looks back, through the hype, and buries the notion that Desert Storm was a great victory for the United States.

David Zurawik

THE BALTIMORE SUN

January 9, 1996

If you think Norman Schwarzkopf and Colin Powell are great generals, and that the defeat of Iraq's Saddam Hussein in 1991 was a brilliant victory, you need to see "The Gulf War," a provocative two-part "Frontline" special starting at 9 tonight on MPT (Channels 22 and 67) and WETA (26).

The four-hour report, whose second part is tomorrow night at 9, is one of the first television efforts to take viewers beyond the jingoism of Lee Greenwood's "I'm Proud To Be an American" and the staged pictures and public relations lies that CNN and network news so willingly fed to the American public on behalf of the military. This is PBS' "Frontline" at its journalistic best.

Tonight's installment sets the stage for the air battle that came to prime time five years ago on Jan. 16, when anti-aircraft fire lit the skies over Baghdad. The theme is that America's military could not think about challenging Saddam Hussein's invasion of Kuwait without remembering America's defeat in Vietnam. As a result, the report says, the generals did not think clearly.



http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/1991/October%201991/1091apache.aspx

Air Force Magazine

October 1991

Apache Attack

By Richard Mackenzie

The helicopters would open the war. They had to take out Iraq's early warning net, and they had to get it all.

At ten seconds before 2:38 in a moonless sky over Iraq, eight US AH-64 Apache helicopters zeroed in on their targets. On their forward-looking infrared screens appeared the images of two Iraqi radar sites just north of Saudi Arabia, placed there to detect intruding fighters. They were linked to four Iraqi fighter bases and to the Intelligence Operations Center in Baghdad.

The unseen Apaches hovered low, four miles south of the radars. At the controls of Number 976, 1st Lt. Tom Drew broke radio silence. "Party in ten," he said.





posted by Kerry Burgess - H.V.O.M at 8:28 PM Thursday, September 15, 2005

I am going to describe a dream I had earlier today, because as strange as it seems, I think I am supposed to. I think someone is testing me and they want me to relay to them what they sent to my sleeping mind. I guess they want to see how much detail I remember when I am awake or something like that. It has happened a couple times lately but I have resisted writing about it. Mainly because it agitates me so to be manipulated like this.

I had that dream again about the house I bought in South Carolina back in the early '90s. I loved that place, it was quiet and relaxing. That house is always the central element in dreams I have sometime. There are usually variations to the situation, but the house is always there. And there is usually another element to the dream. In the dream, I discover that I still own the house and I can go back there any time I want, even at the very moment I realize it is still there. It is a great feeling to know I can sleep there that very night if I want to.

In this dream last night though, there is something about my nieces. One of them has bought the house and will live there now. This is one of ten houses that one of ten nieces is getting. Not sure what that means, I only have two nieces. So anyway, I have two cars parked outside. One is that Mazda RX-7, and just like re-discovering the house in the prior dreams, this car is suddenly mine again and I am very happy to see it. I faced a dilemma though about how to get two cars back to my place, whereever that was. There is a lot of food in one car and I am transferring it from one to the RX-7. It was dark. Then I found myself at what seemed to be my own place in the country, the grass was very high. Never seen this place before, but there seems to be something slightly familiar about it. Next image I remember is my Jeep blocking the entrace of my driveway. But the postman has driven around it and is delivering the mail. He has a lot to deliver. At one point, he walks up to the house, or the garage, but I do not talk with him. Before this, I had been walking around the property and there are a lot of other buildings with purposes I don't know but they have a lot of objects, tools and such, cluttered around. I am standing on the porch about to go in and a woman throws open a hatch on the porch and starts climbing up from under the porch. She is carrying a fishing tackle box and something else I don't recognize. She is a scientist or something. She is on some kind of expedition to go out and cause frogs, I think it was, to contract the "mumps." I don't know why she was doing it, but she said they weren't doing it themselves. I woke up at this point and I could hear some loud-mouth in another room on this floor talking loudly next to his window about how he never contracted the mumps when he was a kid even though he had actually tried to contract it by getting into bed with someone that had the mumps.

I'm not sure if this dream happened after I went back to sleep or it had occured earlier, but I was in that unfamilar house there in the country and I was trying to get ready. I was meeting some family members in town for lunch but I kept getting interrupted. At one point, the clock read 1:38 pm but I had to be there at 2pm and I had not even showered or shaved yet. I didn't know how to get in touch with them to let them know I would be late.

The other dream I had was about fighting some kind of aliens. I'm not sure if this dream happened before the one I wrote about above or if it happened later. In this dream, I am still in the Navy, but I am wearing some kind of camoflauge uniform, maybe army or marines. These aliens have invaded a subway and there are a lot of travelers around in danger. I am about to drop from exhaustion after 36 hours of fighting, we have been retreating and I am separated from the other soldiers. I am carrying two heavy packs, trying to find another unit to group up with, with passengers stream through the facility, they are even getting on the trains as some of them are still coming through. I have lost my rifle somewhere. I still have plenty of ammo, but I can't find a rifle. A woman at a coffee kisok says something to me that I don't remember, she has dried blood on her hands as she is preparing coffee. Then I am outside and I have found an armory where I get another rifle. I start heading back to the subway. A woman drives up in a car and asks me if I am who she thinks I am. But I can't remember seeing her actually in the car, all I can remember is seeing her buried in the dirt with only her talking face exposed. That is all I remember.

[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 15 September 2005 excerpt ends]





http://www.airforcemag.com/MagazineArchive/Pages/1991/October%201991/1091apache.aspx

Air Force Magazine

October 1991

Apache Attack

On cue, ten seconds later, the helicopters unleashed a salvo of laser-guided Hellfire missiles. "This one's for you, Saddam ," muttered CW03 Dave Jones, the pilot of another Apache.

The shots, fired in the predawn hours of January 17, 1991, marked the start of Operation Desert Storm and were among the most critical of the war, blinding Iraq's early warning net at a key moment. US Central Command relied entirely on the Apaches and USAF special operations helicopters to do the job. "If something had happened and we didn't do 100 percent [destruction]," said one gunner, CW04 Lou Hall, "a lot of people were going to get hurt."

The Apaches did achieve 100 percent destruction, or close to it. Eyewitnesses report that, when the Hellfires hit the targets, the radar bases evaporated in clouds of smoke and flame. In the four and a half minutes it took to complete the task, the Apaches had, in the words of Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf, "plucked out the eyes" of Iraq's Soviet-supplied air defenses.



https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1991-01-18-9101030925-story.html

South Florida SunSentinal

WAR SEEMS MADE FOR PRIME TIME

TOM JICHA, TV/Radio Writer

SUN-SENTINEL

January 18, 1991

An eerie trend seems to be emerging in the Middle East war. The conflict which some expected to become the first television war has seemingly accelerated into a prime time television war.

The initial United States assault on Iraq Wednesday occurred during the network evening newscasts. On Thursday, Saddam Hussein launched his most aggressive reply, a missile assault against Israel almost 24 hours later to the minute.

Thanks to a camera on the roof of its Tel Aviv bureau, ABC was able to provide live shots of the streets around the building, where nothing of import occurred. Still, one has to wonder whether the Iraqis, who are known to monitor U.S. television, could have used these pictures to their own advantage in assessing the success of their assault and in plotting future missions..

The Iraqi retaliation came after a day marked by widespread speculation over why Hussein had been so passive, bolstering the notion that the timing was plotted to provide a maximum public relations triumph on U.S. television. Such victories have assumed an importance approaching that of battlefield triumphs.

It was observed around the dials that Hussein's appearance on Iraqi television on Thursday morning was to demonstrate to U.S. audiences that he was unscathed and remained defiant.

"He's just posturing," said Judith Kipper, a Middle East expert hired by ABC.

Kipper later remarked that "diplomacy by television" was becoming an important strategy.

The analysis came in the wake of a conversation between Ted Koppel and Iraqi ambassador to France Abdulrazik Al-Hashimi. Hussein's spokesman initiated the dialog to present his government's reply to some of Koppel's observations, which he had been monitoring from Paris.

"There is something slightly bizarre about this conversation," the unflappable Koppel marveled.

In retrospect, the interview contained an important bit of intelligence, the Iraqi's promise that an invasion of Israel was still planned.

Later Bassan-Abu Sharif, a PLO spokesman, contacted Koppel to proclaim that his organization, known for its terrorist tactics, supported a political rather than a military solution to Iraq's seizure of Kuwait. The PLO official also dropped a hint about the imminent escalation of the conflict into Israel. "The war has not started yet," he declared.

To a large extent, network correspondents and guest experts concurred.

ABC's Peter Jennings warned that early returns in military operations tend to be optimistic. His colleague Brit Hume, noting the bullishness of the stock market, warned, "If I were an investor, I'd be more cautious."

If form follows, it would be wise for both sides to be on alert about 6:30 Eastern time tonight.

-- The Pentagon on Thursday maintained the same control of television's airwaves on Thursday that it had claimed over the airways of Iraq.

Until the chilling reports of the attack on Israel Thursday night, there was no more information available than during the first hours of Operation Desert Storm.

The most vivid reports of events in Baghdad came from the Cable News Network, which was able to remain on the air after ABC, CBS and NBC reporters lost their links to their networks.

But shortly after Gen. Colin Powell said even he was getting useful information from CNN's Bernard Shaw, all transmissions from the Iraqi capitol were severed. Powell's tribute to CNN echoed the remarks of Defense Secretary Dick Cheney on Wednesday night.

Despite the noble intentions of the TV networks, which presented non-stop coverage, they were reduced to presenting more opinion than information.

"We're a long way behind the information curve," ABC's Peter Jennings complained.

The pool pictures provided by the military confirmed television's worst pre- war fears. They were so unenlightening, they probably would not have been deemed airworthy under normal circumstances.

By the morning shows, there were equally uninspiring shots of the first pilots returning from their missions, then Cruise missiles being launched from the USS Wisconsin.

The few interviews later cleared with U.S. servicemen were obviously designed for public relations purposes.

"We are seeing a very clean and sanitized war," CBS correspondent Bob Simon said.

-- President Bush's nationally televised speech announcing war with Iraq was watched by more Americans than any broadcast in TV history, with the exception of John F. Kennedy's funeral in 1963, preliminary ratings showed.

Bush's address at 9 p.m. on Wednesday was watched in 78.8 percent of U.S. television homes, according to 25-city overnight ratings released on Thursday by the A.C. Nielsen Co.










DSCN7624.jpg, Kerry Burgess 08/12/2019 Coeur d'Alene



DSCN7626.jpg, Kerry Burgess 08/12/2019 Coeur d'Alene



DSCN7627.jpg, Kerry Burgess 08/12/2019 Coeur d'Alene



DSCN7629.jpg, Kerry Burgess 08/12/2019 Coeur d'Alene



DSCN7630.jpg, Kerry Burgess 08/12/2019 Coeur d'Alene



DSCN7632.jpg, Kerry Burgess 08/12/2019 Coeur d'Alene



DSCN7633.jpg, Kerry Burgess 08/12/2019 Coeur d'Alene








From 9/3/2009 ( referenced in text above here by me ) To 8/12/2019 is 3630 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 10/11/1975 ( premiere US TV series "Saturday Night Live" ) is 3630 days



From 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 officially the United States Apache attack helicopter pilot ) To 8/12/2019 is 10434 days

10434 = 5217 + 5217

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 2/14/1980 ( premiere US TV series episode "In Search of..."::"Air Disaster Prediction" ) is 5217 days



From 8/15/1997 ( premiere US film "Event Horizon" ) To 8/12/2019 is 8032 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 10/30/1987 ( premiere US TV series "Pursuit of Happiness" ) is 8032 days



From 2/2/1951 ( premiere US film "The Steel Helmet" ) To 8/12/2019 is 25028 days

25028 = 12514 + 12514

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 2/6/2000 ( premiere US TV series episode "The Simpsons"::"Saddlesore Galactica" ) is 12514 days



From 3/16/1991 ( my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate ) To 8/12/2019 is 10376 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 3/31/1994 ( premiere US TV series episode "The Simpsons"::"Bart Gets an Elephant" ) is 10376 days








Run

Blake Crouch

page 182 of 276 Kindle version

"What's it like out there?"

"A nightmare. You can't tell who's affected until they try to kill you."

"They aren't just military?"

"No. They group together and travel in convoys. They recognize the unaffected on sight. I couldn't tell you how many towns we passed through that have been burned to the ground."








http://www.simpsonsarchive.com/episodes/1F15.html

Bart Gets an Elephant [ The Simpsons ]

Original airdate in N.A.: 31-Mar-94

In her room, Lisa vacuums under the bed. She hears music from outside. Looks as though the Little White Girls have decided to do a tour while they play. Even better, President Clinton follows them, jamming on his saxophone. Moe drives by, scolding, "Hey, Clinton! Get back to work!", to which Bill retorts, "Make me!"








Kerry Burgess, report archive, unpublished draft as of 08/13/2019:


Installed. Not for competent qualifications.



https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/08/08/trump-says-he-may-commute-rod-blagojevichs-prison-sentence/1952620001/

USA Today

Trump 'thinking very seriously' about commuting prison sentence for Rod Blagojevich

David Jackson, USA TODAY Published 7:49 a.m. ET Aug. 8, 2019 Updated 8:04 p.m. ET Aug. 8, 2019



https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_Blagojevich

Rod Blagojevich

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rod Blagojevich (born December 10, 1956) is an American former politician who served as the 40th Governor of Illinois from 2003 until his impeachment, conviction, and removal from office in 2009.

Blagojevich was born in Chicago, Illinois, the second of two children. His father, Radislav, was an immigrant steel plant laborer from a village near Kragujevac, Serbia. His mother, Mila Govedarica, is a Bosnian Serb originally from Gacko, Bosnia and Herzegovina.



1 27 86
11 2 65
12 20 94



1 28 86
11 2 65
12 21 94



From 12/10/1956 To 8/4/1985 ( Joseph Wayne Burgess - the foster father and biologically the half-uncle of Kerry Wayne Burgess, or something - killed in semi-trailer freight truck wreck ) is 10464 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 6/27/1994 ( ) is 10464 days

[ exceprt ends Kerry Burgess, unpublished draft report ]








https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal

Hannibal

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hannibal Barca (247 – between 183 and 181 BC) was a general and statesman from Ancient Carthage who is widely considered one of the greatest military commanders in history.










Integrated_Helmet_Display_Sight_System.jpg



apache .jpg



AH-64+Apache.jpg








http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119081/quotes

IMDb

Event Horizon (1997)

Quotes

[first lines]

Title Card: 2015 First permanent colony established on moon.

Title Card: 2032 Commercial mining begins on Mars.

Title Card: 2040 Deep space research vessel 'Event Horizon' launched to explore boundaries of Solar System. She disappears without trace beyond the eighth planet, Neptune. It is the worst space disaster on record.








http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119081/quotes

IMDb

Event Horizon (1997)

Quotes

Dr. Weir: What was made public about the Event Horizon - that she was a deep space research vessel, that her reactor went critical, and that the ship blew up - none of that is true. The Event Horizon is the culmination of a secret government project to create a spacecraft capable of faster-than-light flight.

Smith: Uhm, excuse me. See, you can't actually do that.








From 3/16/1991 ( my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate ) To 8/15/1997 is 2344 days

2344 = 1172 + 1172

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 1/17/1969 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"The Mark of Gideon" ) is 1172 days



From 9/16/1963 ( premiere US TV series "The Outer Limits"::series premiere episode "The Galaxy Being" ) To 6/29/1995 ( the Mir space station docking of the United States space shuttle Atlantis orbiter vehicle mission STS-71 includes me Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps officer and United States STS-71 pilot astronaut and my 3rd official United States of America National Aeronautics Space Administration orbital flight of 4 overall ) is 11609 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 8/15/1997 is 11609 days



From 5/12/1939 ( premiere US film "Only Angels Have Wings" ) To 8/15/1997 is 21280 days

21280 = 10640 + 10640

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA as Kerry Wayne Burgess ) To 12/20/1994 ( in non-aviator related duties boots on the ground in Bosnia as Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps captain this day is my United States Navy Cross medal date of record ) is 10640 days



From 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 officially the United States Apache attack helicopter pilot ) To 8/15/1997 is 2402 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 5/31/1972 ( Walter Jackson Freeman II dead ) is 2402 days


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119081/releaseinfo

IMDb

Event Horizon (1997)

Release Info

USA 15 August 1997








https://www.britannica.com/biography/Walter-Jackson-Freeman-II

Encyclopædia Britannica

Walter Jackson Freeman II

AMERICAN NEUROLOGIST

Walter Jackson Freeman II, (born November 14, 1895, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.—died May 31, 1972), American neurologist who, with American neurosurgeon James W. Watts, was responsible for introducing to the United States prefrontal lobotomy, an operation in which the destruction of neurons and neuronal tracts in the white matter of the brain was considered therapeutic for patients with mental disorders. Freeman’s use of and public advocacy for the procedure and others like it made him a controversial figure.

Education And Early Career

Freeman’s father, Walter Jackson Freeman, was an otolaryngologist (an ear, nose, and throat doctor), and his maternal grandfather, William Williams Keen, was a prominent surgeon. Freeman did not express a strong interest in medicine in his youth, but, after receiving a bachelor’s degree in 1916 from Yale University, he enrolled as a medical student at the University of Pennsylvania and earned a medical degree (1920). He subsequently worked as an intern in pathology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and in 1923 traveled to Europe to study neurology. Upon his return to the United States the following year, Freeman took a position as the director of laboratories at Saint Elizabeths Hospital, then a leading psychiatric institution in Washington, D.C. Freeman’s initial perception of the hospital’s patient wards was marked in part by disgust and fear. Later he described mental disorders and the fate of affected individuals as a social tragedy, and he came to believe that such disorders arose from organic causes, such as abnormal neuronal function, rather than from unconscious mental processes, as was emphasized by psychoanalysis.

The Rise Of Prefrontal Lobotomy

In 1926 Freeman began teaching in Washington, D.C., both at the U.S. Naval Medical School and at Georgetown University, where he served without pay and later (1931) earned a Ph.D. Also in 1926 he was appointed a professor of neurology and chair of the neurology department at George Washington University. By the 1930s he had begun to use oxygen therapy as a treatment for mental illness. He later experimented with various chemical treatments and in 1938 began using electroshock therapy.

The possibility of surgical intervention had presented itself in 1935, however, when Freeman learned of a frontal lobe ablation (the surgical removal of tissue) technique that had been used on chimpanzees in task-performance experiments. Following ablation, one of the animals in the study experienced reduced agitation upon making an incorrect choice during a memory task (although the operation made the other chimpanzee in the study more agitated). The same year, Portuguese neurophysician António Egas Moniz, with the help of Portuguese surgeon Pedro Almeida Lima, modified a surgical technique for the prefrontal cortex in the frontal lobe of the brain and tested it on a human subject. Moniz experimented with ethyl alcohol, injecting the chemical through the holes in order to destroy areas of tissue thought to be involved in causing mental illness. He subsequently created an instrument known as the leukotome, which contained a deployable wire loop designed to cut sections of tissue. (Later models used a steel band to compress tissue cores.) The procedure of drilling holes in the front of the head and creating cores of brain matter with the instrument became known as prefrontal leukotomy.

In 1936 Freeman modified Moniz’s technique, describing his version of the operation as “lobotomy.” On September 14 that year Freeman and Watts performed the first prefrontal lobotomy operation in the United States, on a 63-year-old housewife who was suffering from insomnia and agitated depression (mixed bipolar disorder, in which manic and depressive symptoms occur together). Although the medical community was skeptical of the procedure and many physicians disapproved of it, Freeman believed it would change psychiatric medicine for the better and found the popular media to be an ally in his efforts to promote its use. Freeman and Watts performed a number of “standard” lobotomies, many of which were carried out at their private practice in Washington, D.C.

Development Of Transorbital Lobotomy

By 1945 Freeman had begun to lose confidence in the effectiveness of standard lobotomy, and thus he set to work on refining a procedure known as transorbital lobotomy, which was not only less expensive and faster than standard lobotomy but also, Freeman believed, more effective. Transorbital lobotomy was first attempted in 1937 by Italian psychosurgeon Amarro Fiamberti. Fiamberti performed the operation by forcing a thin tube (cannula) or a leukotome through the bony orbit at the back of the eye socket and injecting alcohol (or formalin) into the frontal lobe. Instead of a tube and alcohol, Freeman’s instrument of choice to penetrate through the bone was initially an ice pick and later a specially designed leukotome, which he manipulated by hand to destroy the neuronal tracts in the brain that were thought to give rise to mental illness. In January 1946 he performed his first transorbital lobotomy procedure, operating on a depressed and violent 29-year-old woman. The procedure was deemed a success; the patient was able to return to a relatively normal life.

Freeman did not share his plans for transorbital lobotomy with Watts, and, after finding out about it, Watts argued that such procedures should not be performed in their private offices. From that point on, Freeman performed the procedure elsewhere and for a period of time toured the country, operating on patients in hospitals and sometimes in other settings, such as hotel rooms. Watts later parted ways with Freeman, who performed his last lobotomy in February 1967, when a patient he operated on died from a brain hemorrhage.

A Controversial Treatment

While Freeman’s work found many supporters, his courting of the media reflected an arrogance and recklessness that placed many peoples’ lives and health at risk. Of the 3,500 lobotomies he performed or supervised during his career, an estimated 490 individuals died as a result of the treatment. His attitude and fatality rate, combined with his lack of interest in describing a scientific basis for the procedure, left him with little authority in the medical community. But Freeman’s desire to help the mentally afflicted—who often lived in mental institutions, where neglect was rampant and a successful return to society unlikely—was, by all appearances, genuine. His promotion of lobotomy as a psychiatric treatment at a time when antipsychotic drugs were not widely available for mental disorders also broke important ground for the field of neurosurgery.








http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/72.htm

The Mark Of Gideon [ Star Trek: The Original Series television episode ]

Original Airdate: Jan 17, 1969

[Corridor]

(Kirk is checking each room when he sees a young woman walking backwards from a junction, arms outstretched as she almost dances.)

Captain KIRK: Who are you?

ODONA: Odona. Yes, my name is Odona. Why did you bring me here?

KIRK: What are you doing on my ship?

ODONA: Is this entire ship yours?

KIRK: Not my personal property, but I'm the captain.

ODONA: And you have it all to yourself?

KIRK: It seems, at the moment, we have it all to ourselves.

(He grabs her arm.)

ODONA: You're hurting me, Captain

KIRK: Kirk. I'm sorry. James Kirk. And I didn't bring you here.

ODONA: If you didn't bring me

KIRK: That's right. Who has brought you here?

ODONA: I don't know.

KIRK: You? What happened before you came here? Try to remember. It's important.

ODONA: It seems I was standing in a, yes. I was standing in a large auditorium crowded with people. Thousands pressed in against me. I could hardly breathe. I was fighting for oxygen, screaming to get out.

KIRK: Don't be afraid.

ODONA: I'm not, but you are troubled.

KIRK: I seem to be the only one of my crew left on board the Enterprise. Four hundred and thirty, and I, apparently, am the only one left.

ODONA: I'm sorry. I wish I could help.

KIRK: Maybe you can. Tell me the rest. You were fighting for oxygen, screaming to get out of there.

ODONA: And then I, suddenly I was here on this, on your ship. And there was all this space. And the freedom. I just wanted to float.








http://articles.latimes.com/1995-06-28/news/mn-18110_1_space-station

Los Angeles Times

As Spirits Fly With Atlantis, Delays a Mir Inconvenience : Space: The shuttle pierces a blue sky after Florida storms scratched two launch dates. Linkup with Russian station is on track for Thursday.

June 28, 1995 K.C. COLE TIMES SCIENCE WRITER

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Fla. — The space shuttle Atlantis cracked open a robin's-egg-blue Florida sky with a deafening roar Tuesday afternoon as hundreds of spectators and NASA officials cheered and sighed with collective relief.

This is to be the first of seven planned dockings, all to test procedures and equipment for the international space station, a partnership among Russia, the United States, Europe, Japan and Canada. Construction is due to begin in 1997, with occupancy scheduled for 2002.

Soon after launch, Atlantis began a series of rocket firings designed to put it in roughly the same orbit as Mir. Today crew members will continue to line up their orbit and will activate Spacelab, where experiments are stowed. They will also check out equipment and cameras for the docking.

On Thursday, they will drift up toward Mir. The docking itself, Gibson said, will be a "long, slow, laborious process."








Event Horizon (1997)

(from internet transcript)

(Alarm sounding)

(Miller) All right. Stations, people.

Crossing the horizon. Optimum approach angle is 1 4 degrees.

(Miller) Come around to 3-3-4. Make your approach vector negative 1 4 degrees.

Locked on Event Horizon's navigation beacon.

She's in the upper ionosphere, and it looks like we're in for some heavy chop!

Bring us in tight.

Yes, sir.

Mr Justin, how's my ship?

Smooth sailing, sir.

Matching speed on my mark.

Three, two, one, mark!

Range?

10,000 metres, sir.

Starck!

Yes, sir!

Check radio.

See if anybody's listening.

This is the USAC Lewis & Clark hailing Event Horizon.

Event Horizon, do you read?

(Miller) Dr Weir!

I think you'll want to see this.

Where is she?

Dead ahead, 5,000 metres!

Starck?

Event Horizon, do you read?

Can't see anything!

1 ,500 metres, sir. Too close.

Where is it?

Right in front!

1 ,000 metres.

Proximity warning!

We're gonna hit!

Starck!

God!

Reverse thrusters! Full!

There she is.









excursion_00h56m36s.jpg



excursion_00h56m39s.jpg



excursion_00h56m51s.jpg








http://www.tv.com/shows/the-outer-limits-1963/the-galaxy-being-21531/

tv.com

The Outer Limits - Original Season 1 Episode 1

The Galaxy Being

AIRED: 9/16/63








http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119081/quotes

IMDb

Event Horizon (1997)

Quotes

Miller: Weir?

Dr. Weir: [laughing] The ship brought me back. I told you she won't let me leave








http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119081/quotes

IMDb

Event Horizon (1997)

Quotes

Dr. Weir: I created the Event Horizon to reach the stars, but she's gone much, much farther than that.








http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119081/quotes

IMDb

Event Horizon (1997)

Quotes

Dr. Weir: She's defied space and time. She's been to a place you couldn't possibly imagine. And now... it is time to go back.

Miller: [sounding bored] I know. To hell.

Dr. Weir: You know nothing. Hell is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.








http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119081/quotes

IMDb

Event Horizon (1997)

Quotes

Miller: Oh. My. God. What happened to your eyes?

Dr. Weir: Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see.








From 4/6/1973 ( premiere US film "High Plains Drifter" ) To 2/6/2000 is 9802 days

9802 = 4901 + 4901

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 4/4/1979 ( premiere US TV series "Dear Detective" ) is 4901 days



From 4/15/1955 ( premiere US TV series episode "Science Fiction Theatre"::"Time Is Just a Place" ) To 7/19/1989 ( the United Airlines Flight 232 crash in Sioux City Iowa and the end of Kerry Burgess the natural human being cloned from another human being ) is 12514 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 2/6/2000 is 12514 days



From 12/20/1994 ( in non-aviator related duties on the ground in Bosnia as Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps captain this day is my United States Navy Cross medal date of record ) To 2/6/2000 is 1874 days

1874 = 937 + 937

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 5/27/1968 ( the fraudulent enlistment by George W. Bush in the Texas Air National Guard eventually deserting unlawfully his military obligations ) is 937 days



From 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 officially the United States Apache attack helicopter pilot ) To 2/6/2000 is 3307 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 11/22/1974 ( premiere US TV movie "Great Expectations" ) is 3307 days



From 9/17/1978 ( premiere US TV series "Battlestar Galactica"::series premiere episode "Saga of a Star World" ) To 2/6/2000 is 7812 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/24/1987 ( premiere US film "Blind Date" ) is 7812 days



From 2/11/1969 ( Jennifer Aniston ) To 2/6/2000 is 11317 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 10/27/1996 ( premiere US TV series episode "The Simpsons"::"Treehouse of Horror VII" ) is 11317 days



From 12/25/1991 ( in non-aviator related duties on the ground as United States Marine Corps chief warrant officer Kerry Wayne Burgess I was prisoner of war in Croatia ) To 2/6/2000 is 2965 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/15/1973 ( premiere US TV series episode "Star Trek"::"The Slaver Weapon" ) is 2965 days


http://www.tv.com/shows/the-simpsons/saddlesore-galactica-1524/

tv.com

The Simpsons Season 11 Episode 13

Saddlesore Galactica

AIRED: 2/6/00



http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20000207&slug=4003470

Monday, February 7, 2000

Mrs. Clinton makes it official

By Lynne Duke

The Washington Post

PURCHASE, N.Y. - Hillary Rodham Clinton formally launched her candidacy for the U.S. Senate yesterday, portraying herself as a "New Democrat" committed to both energetic government and fiscal responsibility while directly addressing criticism that she is an outsider in New York.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=2000_3193931

Paper: Houston Chronicle

Date: MON 02/07/2000

First lady makes her bid official

By MARC HUMBERT

Associated Press

Hillary Rodham Clinton formally launched her campaign Sunday to be U.S. senator from New York, a state in which she has lived only a month.

"I am honored today to announce my candidacy for the U.S. Senate from New York," Clinton said

Last July at Moynihan's sprawling farm, Clinton kicked off a summerlong "listening tour" of the state








http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068699/releaseinfo

IMDb

High Plains Drifter (1973)

Release Info

USA 19 April 1973 (New York City, New York)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068699/releaseinfo

IMDb

High Plains Drifter (1973)

Release Info

USA 6 April 1973 (Los Angeles, California)
USA 18 April 1973 (New York City, New York)
USA 22 August 1973

Full Cast & Crew

Clint Eastwood ... The Stranger
Buddy Van Horn ... Marshall Jim Duncan








http://www.tv.com/shows/the-simpsons/treehouse-of-horror-vii-1439/trivia/

tv.com

The Simpsons Season 8 Episode 1

Treehouse of Horror VII

Aired Sunday 8:00 PM Oct 27, 1996 on FOX

Quotes

Homer: We think we saw Hugo at the airport; he was boarding a plane to Switzerland and… (sees Hugo) Oh.








from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: 07/26/08 6:47 AM

A series of scenes in the dream just now about football. The notion of Princeton University was strongly present in those series of scenes where I seemed to be on a football team but I think something is askew to all that, in that my soccer team is mixed in to those scenes and I was confusing it with my actual participation on an American football team at U.S. Naval Academy. I did see a scene about a football kicker during an American football game. There was a lot of detail I can still visualize but I do not feel all that compelled to describe the scenes. In the next series of scenes though, I seemed to be walking through an open field and there is a paved road running off to my left and there is open field as far as I can see to the other side of it and I guess to my right side although most of the dream seems to visualize over to what was initially my left-side of visualization. Just after that visualization started, and I note that it seems to be chronologically after the series of football scenes, I saw the Four Horsemen of The Apocalypse in that field on the other side of the paved road and to my minor annoyance, they started charging in my direction and I can visualize that lead Horsemen, but I am left with the vague sense that the Four of them were actually cows that had turned to charge at me. I did some fancy maneuvering and got them going in circles because I could maneuver better than they could but at some point I realized that I was not going to be able to keep that tactic up for very long. As I visualize that scene again now that I am awake, they seemed to have surrounded me. In the next scene though I seemed to have broke away from the Four Bovine of The Apocalypse and I was running flat out across the field at a 45 degree angle ahead of my original line-of-sight and direction of travel and I am vaguely aware of something ahead of me but I cannot visualize it well enough or remember it well enough to describe. I can remember that I turned around as I was running and threw something back at the lead Cow of The Apocalypse and I struck it squarely on the head and it dropped dead right there on the spot. At that point, I seemed to look back at a bale of hay in the middle of the field, which was the only one in sight, and I thought to myself that I should have stayed near that bale of hay because it was a piece of that bale that I killed the lead Cow of The Apocalypse. But I was still running in that same direction and I cannot really visualize the other Cows of The Apocalypse althought I guess they were back there somewhere in the dust the first Cow kicked up in a field that did not seem that dusty. The detail become very vague at the point where the dreams ends and I vaguely aware of something about how I could get help in fighting off those other three Cows of The Apocalypse if I said I "believed" and so I did say I believed and then I saw something that I can only describe now vaguely and one of those wagonwheeled-transports, that I think had names such as Conestoga, come traveling by me out in the direction of the other Cows and the wagon seemed to be covered in fire. I think I had stopped running at that point and there are other details about the surroundings that I can still visualize but not well enough to describe and I am left to ponder where I was. As I was writing all this, I remembered there was another series of scenes before the series of scenes about American football and I am left only with the sense of being compelled to remember those scenes and while I can visualize certain details, such as being in a supermarket, I cannot remember enough detail to articulate. I am not certain if those first scenes are connected to the next scenes about the football.

07/26/08 7:22 AM

I am thinking again that details I write about seeing in a dream while asleep are from the perspective of another person that was a participant in what could be a memory of a real experience. It is the result of some literary exercise I used to follow and has something to do with writing stories from the perspective of another person.

07/26/08 7:24 AM

I guess. I don't know. I started thinking that because of other sleep-dreams I have had and of how I am now thinking I was not the one actually being chased by the Four Cows of The Apocalypse but that I was some kind of instrument of defense for the person that was being chased by some hostile forces that were trying to inflict deadly force on him and that he had asked me for protection and I had the resources and the lawful right to use force to stop the aggression he was trying to avoid.








Run

Blake Crouch

page 53 of 276 Kindle version, excerpts for brevity by me

Jack fumbled the set of keys, finally got the right one between his thumb and forefinger, and fired the engine as the cycle roared up on them. He went straight at the black and chrome Harley, the rider cranking back on the throttle to avoid a collision, the bike popping up on one wheel as it surged out of the way.

Jack turned back into the highway. Back tires dragging across the pavement as he straightened their bearing.

"Get the shotgun, Dee."

"Where is it?"

"In the way back."

She crawled to the backseat, crawled back

"Jesus, Jack. How fast are we going?

"You don't want to know."

A piece of fire bloomed and faded in the side mirror, and the square of glass exploded.

"Get down."

"Give me the gun, Dee." "I need you to steer."

The cycle screamed just a few feet behind their bumper, only visible where its chrome caught glimmers of moonlight.

His foot still on the gas, Jack turned back, vertebrae cracking, and aimed though the back hatch and pumped the twelve gauge. The thunder of its report sent a spike through his left eardrum and filled the Rover with the blinding, split-second brilliance of a muzzle flash.

Bullets pierced the left side of the Rover, glass spraying the backseat.

Jack spun back into the driver seat, his right ear ringing, and took the steering wheel and eased off the gas.

The cycle shot forward and then its taillight blipped and it vanished.

Cole screaming in the backseat.








http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/inatl/longterm/fogofwar/index/crusade.htm

Washington Post

Crusade (1993)

The Untold Story of the Persian Gulf War

By Rick Atkinson

Houghton Mifflin Company, 520pp. $16

Chapter One: First Night

Three helicopters back, in the trail Apache dubbed Rigor Mortis, Lieutenant Colonel Dick Cody knew better. He had clearly seen the first burst of fire from below, followed by a missile streaking just abeam of the line of aircraft. "Jeez, Brian," Cody called to his co-pilot, "did you see that?" The gunfire had come either from nervous Saudis or, more likely, an Iraqi commando patrol aiming at the rotor noise. After the brief retaliatory burst from the Pave Low, the shooting stopped. The helicopters pressed on at 120 knots.

Cody was not by nature a reflective man. Commander of the 101st Airborne Division's attack helicopter battalion, he was a creature of action and instinct, an aggressive pilot with fifteen years' flying experience. But he had occasionally wondered in the past four months whether he had oversold himself for this operation.








Run

Blake Crouch

page 56 of 276 Kindle version

"Hold on and stay down."

He turned back into the driver seat, clutched the wheel and hit the brake pedal. Something slammed into the back of the Rover, the sickening clatter of metal striking metal, Jack punching on the headlights just in time to see the cycle turning end over end as it somersaulted off the road into darkness, throwing sparks every time the metal met the pavement, the rider deposited on the double yellow thirty yards ahead, the man sitting dazed

Jack struck the man at fifty-five. The Rover shook violently for several seconds

He killed the lights and pushed the Rover past a hundred, watching Dee's side mirror for tailing cars.

Cole wept hysterically.








http://www.tv.com/shows/saturday-night-live/george-carlin-janis-ian-and-billy-preston-98658/

tv.com

Saturday Night Live Season 1 Episode 1

Aired Saturday 11:30 PM Oct 11, 1975 on NBC

AIRED: 10/11/75

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0694432/trivia

IMDb

Saturday Night Live (TV Series)

George Carlin/Billy Preston/Janis Ian (1975)

Trivia

The original cast members were known as the Not Ready for Prime-time Players.








The Simpsons

Saddlesore Galactica

(from internet transcript)

Is that Duncan?

Not anymore.

Ladies.

say hello to-

Marge: Furious D?

He's the bad boy of racing. He's got attitude and ''baditude'' - [ Whinnies ] - so show him some latitude. and you'll win his gratitude.

Only in America!

Ew! You used my bracelet for a nose ring.

Possessions are fleeting.

Why. look at that disgraceful beast.









https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_image.php?tv-show=simpsons&image=s11e13_156








The Simpsons

Saddlesore Galactica

(from internet transcript)

what has become of the sport of kings?

Bart Simpson: Get bent.









https://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_image.php?tv-show=simpsons&image=s11e13_157








The Simpsons

Saddlesore Galactica

(from internet transcript)

[ Both Gasp ] That's my third monocle this week. I simply must stop being so horrified.



- posted by Kerry Burgess 11:58 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Tuesday 13 August 2019