Friday, May 25, 2007

"Shag"

This movie, starring Phoebe Cates, premiered precisely 20 years after Apollo 11 first walked on the Earth's moon. The title also makes me think of Shaq every time I see it. I also have some kind of symbolic memory about "shag." Other than remembering that shag dance, I "remember" something I said around Jim Shea's mother. Her boyfriend drove up from Florida to find her and she and he were arguing one night in that apartment Jim Shea and I lived in. I was sleeping with his mother and I was annoyed by her boyfriend. I told him at one point to "cut his losses and shag off." Jim Shea would laugh about that a few times later as his mother told him what I said. I have a lot of "memories" about those circumstances, which is odd. It was probably something somebody said to my wife or girlfriend, or maybe she said that to someone else, but it is something I encoded into my "memory" as being said by me. I think my "memory" is kind of a composite creation, where I mix in details from other people. There is probably a reason I "remember" those details from my artificial and symbolic memory, but I don't know precisely why.

Shag is a 1989 film starring Bridget Fonda, Phoebe Cates, Annabeth Gish, Jeff Yagher and Scott Coffey. It features Carolina shag dancing and was produced in cooperation with the North Carolina Film Commission. It was filmed primarily in Wilmington (NC) and Myrtle Beach SC. Though it was not a big hit when initially released, in recent years it has become something of a cult film to fans of beach music and the Carolina Shag.


This also reminds me of how, in my artificial and symbolic memory, my wife, Tracie, whose birthday was July 16th, went on a vacation with her sister a few weeks after we got married. Her sister was complaining that they wouldn't go on the vacation because we had gotten married after they had been making plans to go to Florida, and I guess Tracie was expecting me to tell her I didn't want her to go, but I didn't say anything. They went somewhere in the panhandle of Florida; can't "remember" for certain where it was. Panama City Beach, maybe?

Shag (1989)

Release Date: 21 July 1989 (USA)

Summer of 1963. Carson is getting married to her boyfriend so her friends Melaina, Pudge and Luanne take her to Myrtle Beach for one last irresponsible weekend.
...
Phoebe Cates ... Carson McBride




The thought occurred to me that the detail about Tracie going on a vacation to Panama City Beach might have been about me going to fight in the Panama invasion. I think I was shot in the back with a shotgun during one battle as I was dragging one of my wounded team back to cover after we were ambushed.

The United States invasion of Panama, codenamed Operation Just Cause, was the invasion of Panama by armed forces of the United States that deposed general, dictator and de facto Panamanian military leader Manuel Noriega in December 1989, during the administration of U.S. President George H. W. Bush.



The actor who portrayed her fiancee in that movie was born 5/1/1967, according to the sources. That is the day I recognize as when I first flew a fighter jet by myself.

Scott Coffey

Date of Birth: 1 May 1967, Hawaii, USA
...
Shag (1989) .... Chip Guillyard




I haven't seen this movie, that I can remember, but what I read in these pages, it seems the character named "Buzz" was trying to steal the woman that my wife portrays. I probably created this detail so I could point back to it someday when I told her the full story about my youth in the space program. The characters "Chip" and "Buzz" both represent me but there was a lot she didn't know about me, perhaps.

From 3/3/1959 to 9/20/1965 is: 2393 days
From 7/16/1963 to 9/20/1965 is: 797 days
797 / 2393 = 0.333

Robert Rusler

Date of Birth: 20 September 1965
...
Shag (1989) .... Buzz Ravenel



I don't much like reading through these quotes, but this one is pretty funny. There is also those symbolic memories I wrote about where I met that girlfriend named Phoebe at a dance.

Memorable quotes for
Shag (1989)

...
Buzz: I'm Buzz Ravenal. Let's dance.

Carson: I'm sorry, I'm engaged.

Buzz: Well, I'm sorry you're engaged, too.



I don't know what the hell this was about. I have been thinking that, in some ways, I was bragging about having such a beautiful. I get shot and blown up and shot down and all that other zany stuff the terrorists try to do, but still, life is pretty good when I get home. If I have a major vulnerability though, it is her and the rest of my family. The terrorists, such as Microsoft-Corbis and their accomplices, such as George W. Bush, look for any possible way to get to me. They don't want to just kill me; rather they want to make me suffer as much as possible first.

Memorable quotes for
Shag (1989)
...
Carson: You want me to go all the way up there, to a Yankee school, just so I can come over every weekend and practice "free love" with you?

Buzz: Well, not every weekend.



The actor who portrayed "Jimmy Valentine" was 335 months, 9 days, old on 12/27/1988. That day 12/27/1988 was 594 days after 5/13/1987. I recognize 5/13/1987 as when I completed my escape from Africa after being shot down by anti-aircraft fire on 2/14/1986. Using the method of counting inclusive days, then it would be perfectly a clue of 335-9 and 593.

From 5/13/1987 to 12/27/1988 is: 594 days

Jeff Yagher

Date of Birth: 18 January 1961
...
Shag (1989) .... Jimmy Valentine



I don't ever remember watching this movie, so I don't know the conext of these scenes, but I find these quotes interesting. The first one is something to do with me, in that I am that Hollywood person, "Jimmy Valentine," she talks about discovering her. The last one is a clever reference to how Phoebe didn't know she was married to the person people think of as Buzz Aldrin.

Memorable quotes for
Shag (1989)

...
Luanne: Here, you'll wear my momma's hoop skirt.

Malaina: I know how to win this thing.

Luanne: Why Melaina! It is bad manners to think about winnin'!

Malaina: Look Luanne! I'm not goin' to college like some people. And I sure as hell ain't marryin' a damn Ralston. And I ain't gonna die in a parish house in Spartanburg, South
Carolina, thank you. Luanne, I'm as pretty as any of those girls in Hollywood. This is my chance! Jimmy Valentine's gonna discover me today, and it ain't gonna be in your mama's hoop skirt!

Luanne: Would you at least consider my one-piece bathin' suit?

...

Pudge: Mary Pat Montgomery's the one who told me about boners. It isn't a bone at all, it's a muscle. This cousin of hers dated a Clemson Tiger who sprained his in a game, and she had to massage it every night when it got hard because he was in so much pain.

...

The Manager: Have I met you before?

Malaina: Maybe in one of your better dreams.

...

Buzz: This is cozy

Carson: Let me out

Buzz: I'm offended that you could be interested in someone like him.

Carson: You don't know me, you don't love me, sures damn well don't want to marry me, so why don't you leave me the hell alone?

Buzz: I can't.