Sunday, May 20, 2007

It's your trial

I was stunned when I stumbled across this photo last year of the Air Force officer with the F-16 wind tunnel model. The similarity in appearance to my half-brother, Kevin Wayne Burgess, from my symbolic and artificial memory is remarkable. The guy in civilian clothes looks familiar too, but I can't place him. Every time I look at this photo, I also think that is fake, in that it is a composite image for the Air Force officer. I didn't look like that back in 1981, but I think there are some facial similarities and that is why he resembles my half-brother.







Technicians discuss an F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft model in a test wind tunnel at the Engineering Development Center. The model holds an assortment of armament models.

Location: ARNOLD AIR FORCE STATION, TENNESSEE (TN) UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (USA)
Camera Operator: AFSC
Date Shot: 1 Jan 1981


I noted last year that this photo of Colonel Schaefer reminds me a lot of my mother's brother, Warren Newman. I also have a ton of symbolic memories of drinking a brand of beer named Schaefer. That probably means Colonel Schaefer bought us some beers for trying in 1980 to get them out of Iran.
















A close-up view of COL Thomas Schaefer, who was the senior military member of the Iranian hostages, as he attends the 1st Special Operations Wing memorial service for the eight servicemen, including its five members, who were killed in the attempt to rescue the American hostages held in Iran on April 24, 1980.

Location: HURLBURT FIELD, FLORIDA (FL) UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (USA)
Camera Operator: SSGT ERNEST H. SEALING
Date Shot: 10 Apr 1981





The notion of going to the Sonic drive-in restaraunt for lunch has something to do with flying a supersonic fighter jet.

JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Annapolis

When I was a kid in high school, I worked at a general store in Wilton after school. My employer started stocking these traps on the counter where I stood when I didn't have anything to do. The were for catching gophers or some other small critter. When I was standing there waiting for something to do, I would, not unlike compulsively clicking a retractable ink pen, set and spring one of those traps. set, spring. set, spring. set, spring. One day, I think it was for Christmas, and I'm pretty sure it was 1983, my employers, Donald and Shirley Mills, gave me a bonus of a $100 dollar bill and they enclosed it in one of that traps, something about how I liked them so much. I was also surprised they gave me so much. They had been giving me bonuses before but that was by far the largest. I also remember now times standing out on the flight deck of the Taylor and using a hook to pull up the RAST cable out of the deck. I also remember running myself ragged doing that. We were supposed to trade off to let the other crew take some of the landings, but I kept going out there myself and doing it. I remember too, unrelated to flight operations, but probably symbolically related to flight operations, that they put me on the night watch when we were in the Persian Gulf in 1988.


When memories of being above the clouds come to mind, I reminded for flying on passenger aircraft, staring out the cabin window, especially from 1984 and 1984 when I remeber flying home several times and spending a lot of time in the air.

The were two 2-man teams on the helo deck. I was usually the person in front with the guy behind me with a hook to grab the wire from the helo. I would then connect the cables.

Ah...that princess with the pink Rolls Royce....I hope I get back that memory.

When I initially signed up for the Navy, I was in training as an Electronics Technician, which the Navy designation is ET.

I had this crazy idea that I have been up in the Space Shuttle. It makes sense. There was that time with Tracie at 6 Flags in Atlanta.

There was that brown leather jacket I used to love to wear, they were fashionably called bomber jackets.

Donald Mills truck, something I liked about the engine, but it was rather utilitarian, if that's the right word, it was just a work truck, it wasn't as cool as my trucks. I used to like to modify the carburator for some reason. And there was the time the roof liner fell on my head one day I was driving. Mom told me one time I was driving too fast when I passed by the house in that truck.

Billy Parker was another buddy in high school and he used to run around a lot with Micheal and me. I came from leave, I think it was 1985, and he had this super-fast Ford Mustang. It was quite the hot rod. Not sure what he had been driving before that, I think his momma's car. There was this one we were out hunting....I can still picture this place perfectly in my mind. If I was back on Hicks Road, the real place, right now, I could point out the exact place this event occurred. There is that big 90-degree curve down the road from where we used to live, seems like there were dumpsters there. Leading off that curve were two gravel roads. One road was where Ken Morgan and his brothes lived. The other road lead to Horseshoe Lake, where you needed a really bad truck to get into. And on the second road was a short gravel road that led to Billy's house. Beyond that, towards Horseshoe Lake, he and I were walking down that gravel road heading back to his house. A squirrel jumped out on a tree in front of us and I stopped him just in time before he blasted the squirrel and the house it was in front of. He started getting more reckless as I remember. He told me one time he had been driving through town shooting at stop lights with a pistol. Just stupid pointless stuff like that. I did hear that he married that girl I was seeing when I came back from the Persian Gulf. Maybe he settled down after that. She was a good woman to come home to.

Deers. I don't know what it is about the deers. But if my memory serves as a guide, I was literally a deer magnet there for a time. I would sit there for a while and they would just walk past me, oblivious to the fact that I had a loaded gun 3 feet from the head. They were quite surprised when I moved.

...

This photo reminds me of a photo I saw the other day of that guy from Falcon Crest, I think his character's name was Chase. I forget the actor's name, I remember him from an Outer Limits episode where he had just been inaugurated as POTUS.

http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/Assets/1982/Navy/DN-SC-82-09020.JPG

Maureen REAGAN arrives at the Pacific Missile Test Center to speak at an Equality Day luncheon. Ms. Reagam is the daughter of President Ronald REAGAN.
Date Shot: 26 Aug 1981

...

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/print.asp?story_id=13996&VIRIN=&imagetype=0&page=1

6/30/2004

“I have friends in college who are looking for summer work; I’m on an aircraft carrier," said Midshipman 2nd Class Chris Pogue of Chesapeake, Va. "I spent time with a SEAL [Sea, Air, Land] team last year. Not a lot of people get to do these things. I get to watch F-14s {Tomcats} land right next to me. How amazing is that?”

Aboard Kennedy, the 20-year-old was exposed to navigation, conning, chart work and engineering. His running mate, Air Traffic Controller 1st Class Paul Greenough taught the political science major a great deal about air traffic control at sea.

...

There must be a reason I have a memory of going to a White Castle restaraunt. I didn't particularly care for them. I also have a memory of Ken Bennett wanting to go to lunch at White Castle one day when we were working at Microsoft Charlotte. Not sure if that really happened though, although I am thinking I really did work in there during 1995 and 1996, sort of a trial run.

http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/Assets/1983/Navy/DN-SN-83-05693.JPG

Marines unload hamburgers supplied by White Castle restaurants at Beirut International Airport. U.S. Marines have been assigned to LEBANON as part of a multinational peacekeeping force following a confrontation between Israeli forces and the Palestine Liberation Organization.

Date Shot: 1 Sep 1982

...

I hope they didn't target this guy because of his name, thinking he was me.

http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/Assets/1983/Air_Force/DF-SC-83-06138.JPG

The body of Army LCOL Charles RAY is being carried from a VC-137 Stratoliner aircraft upon arrival. RAY was killed by terrorists in Paris.
Date Shot: 22 Jan 1982

...

I had a photo somewhere just like this, but it was of a single Seahawk. Since I never took the photo I remember, it must represent something else, probably this operation.

http://www.dodmedia.osd.mil/Assets/1982/Navy/DN-SC-82-00721.JPG

A right side view of two RH-53 Sea Stallion helicopters in flight. The helicopters, based aboard the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS NIMITZ (CVN-68), are taking part in Operation Evening Light, a rescue mission to IRAN.

Date Shot: 24 Apr 1980

...

I was also thinking about this midshipman I was talking to after I got out of boot camp in 1984. I was meeting my mom and sister at Disney for my first liberty call. He was telling me something about a patrol boat he had been on that had lost it radar functionality. Mom and Melissa hadn't been where we were supposed to meet but I did eventually run into them after I wandered around for a while. She said she didn't think they would find me. That midshipman gave his card to my mom and she said something about his Park Avenue address.

...

Waller was the name of a girlfriend in the 10th grade. She said she decided to take the offer to join the TARGETS class because I was in there. We used to always go to the Sonic for lunch.

http://www.usna.edu/VirtualTour/150years/1980.htm
August 22, 1981
Vice Admiral Edward C. Waller becomes superintendent.
...

I happened to glance at this article and it reminded me of something I had thought of a few times in recent memory. It was a time when Randy Romines father was in the hospital. He was dying from emphysema. That would have been 1978 I believe. I spent the night at least once on the sofa in his hospital room. I can't remember for certain his name, but I'm pretty sure it was Ronnie Romine. This article describes when Ronald Reagan was in the hospital after being shot by an assassin. He was having a lot of trouble it sounds like with the breathing tubes and he wanted to thank the nurse for staying with him. The article states her name as Marisa Mize.

Seattle Times June 9, 1981
Reagan, trauma past, seeks his Florence Nightingale
Ten weeks have passed since the assassination attempt on President Reagan
...

I wonder why I had that dream a while back where I was talking to Fleet Admiral Nimitz? I can't remember what we were talking about. I remember that I was still thinking of myself as a former PO2 back during the time of the dream. I wonder if it was a clue to get me thinking about the USS Ronald Reagan, which I think is a Nimitz-class. Maybe it means that I am on track to become a Fleet Admiral myself someday. Although, I don't know, I need to look this up, but I think they only award that 5th star for extraordinary circumstances. In my current memory, I know only of that one 5-star and that was because of WW2.

I had a dream last night about something but I can only remember one detail. There were 5 Medals of Honor hanging near me and someone said they were mine. That would be consistent with other thoughts I have had for a while and could be the 5 stars from that dream where I was talking to Nimitz. But I still don't actually remember any specific details. It's hard to say what I actually remember. I seem to remember something, but I don't consciously remember anything from my real life.