Sunday, April 26, 2015

Ascension




http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology_of_Stargate


Mythology of Stargate

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the fictional universe of the Stargate franchise, the people of Earth have encountered numerous extraterrestrial races on their travels through the Stargate. In addition to a diversity of alien life, there is also an abundance of other humans, scattered across the cosmos by advanced aliens in the distant past. Some of the most significant species in Stargate SG-1 are the Goa'uld, the Asgard, and the Replicators. Stargate Atlantis, set in the Pegasus galaxy, introduced the Wraith and the Asurans. One of the most influential species in Stargate, the Ancients, have moved on to a higher plane of existence.


Ascension

"Ascension (Stargate)" redirects here. For the SG-1 season 5 episode, see Ascension (Stargate SG-1).

Ascension is a process by which sufficiently evolved sentient beings may shed their physical bodies and live eternally as pure energy on a higher plane of existence, where their capacity for learning and power grows exponentially. It is a mental, spiritual, or evolutionary enlightenment that can arise as the direct result of achieving a certain level of wisdom and self-knowledge. Ascension was once employed by the Ancients as a means to avoid several issues threatening their species with extinction, but it is sought by major powers on Earth and other races such as the Jaffa later. The concept is introduced in the SG-1 season 3 episode "Maternal Instinct" and becomes a central theme of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis.

Ascension can happen in one of two ways: evolutionarily or spiritually. Ascension can occur when a human evolves the ability to use approximately 90% of his or her brain capacity. The Ancients who ascended naturally reached this point without the aid of technology. They, however, developed the DNA Resequencer, a device capable of enhancing humans so that they would gain telepathy; telekinesis; superhuman senses, speed, and strength; precognition; perfect health; the ability to self-heal rapidly and the power to heal by touch; and the ability to use many parts of their mind and fully focus on a single thing. Spiritual ascension can occur through meditation when one is pure of spirit and in the search for enlightenment, has a fully opened mind, and has shed one's fears and attachment to the mortal world. In the process of ascension through meditation, many beings obtain the same supernatural abilities that users of the DNA resequencer receive.

An ascended Ancient's main rule is noninterference in mortal affairs. If broken, this rule may result in forceful de-ascension or other punishment by the other ascended beings.



































DSC09610.JPG










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/5.03_%22Ascension%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


5.03 "Ascension"


HAMMOND
Major, I have no doubt that your technical expertise will be required at some point down the line. But until Dr Fraiser advises otherwise, I'm ordering you to take it easy.

[He heads into his office.]

CARTER
Take it easy?

O'NEILL
Yeah. You've been a little tense.

CARTER
Tense? Me? I'm not tense. Am I? (quietly)
When did you first notice?










From 7/16/1963 ( Phoebe Cates the United States Army veteran and the Harvard University graduate medical doctor and the world-famous actress and my sister-in-law the wife of my biological brother Thomas Reagan ) To 3/26/1999 ( the "Melissa" computer virus was produced by Corbis Microsoft Bill Gates violently against the United States of America ) is 13037 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/13/2001 is 13037 days



From 7/16/1963 ( Phoebe Cates the United States Army veteran and the Harvard University graduate medical doctor and the world-famous actress and my sister-in-law the wife of my biological brother Thomas Reagan ) To 3/26/1999 ( Bill Clinton - Letter to Congressional Leaders Reporting on Airstrikes Against Serbian Targets in the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (Serbia and Montenegro) ) is 13037 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/13/2001 is 13037 days



From 4/9/1986 ( --- ) To 7/13/2001 is 5574 days

5574 = 2787 + 2787

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 6/20/1973 ( premiere US film "One Little Indian" ) is 2787 days



From 11/8/1953 ( premiere US film "Jack Slade" ) To 7/19/1989 ( Bill Gates-Microsoft-George Bush kills 111 passengers and crew of United Airlines Flight 232 and destroys the United Airlines Flight 232 aircraft because I was a passenger of United Airlines Flight 232 as United States Navy Petty Officer Second Class Kerry Wayne Burgess and I was assigned to maintain custody of a non-violent offender military prisoner of the United States ) is 13037 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/13/2001 is 13037 days



From 4/9/1943 ( premiere US film "Edge of Darkness" ) To 7/13/2001 is 21280 days

21280 = 10640 + 10640

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 12/20/1994 ( in Bosnia as Kerry Wayne Burgess the United States Marine Corps captain this day is my United States Navy Cross medal date of record ) is 10640 days



From 5/9/1955 ( West Germany becomes a member of NATO ) To 1/17/1991 ( the date of record of my United States Navy Medal of Honor as Kerry Wayne Burgess chief warrant officer United States Marine Corps circa 1991 also known as Matthew Kline for official duty and also known as Wayne Newman for official duty ) is 13037 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/13/2001 is 13037 days



From 5/9/1955 ( West Germany becomes a member of NATO ) To 1/17/1991 ( RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 - the Persian Gulf War begins as scheduled severe criminal activity against the United States of America ) is 13037 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/13/2001 is 13037 days



From 3/3/1959 ( the birthdate in Hawaii of my biological brother Thomas Reagan ) To 11/11/1994 ( premiere US film "The Santa Clause" ) is 13037 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/13/2001 is 13037 days



From 6/1/1955 ( premiere US film "This Island Earth" ) To 7/13/2001 is 16844 days

16844 = 8422 + 8422

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 11/23/1988 ( premiere US film "Scrooged" ) is 8422 days



From 3/29/1963 ( premiere US film "Miracle of the White Stallions" ) To 12/7/1998 ( my first day working at Microsoft Corporation as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and the active duty United States Marine Corps lieutenant colonel circa 1998 ) is 13037 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/13/2001 is 13037 days



From 6/27/1994 ( United States Navy Fleet Admiral Thomas Reagan the pilot and plane crash survivor along with me Kerry Wayne Burgess - circa 1990 also known for official duty as Wayne Newman the United States Marshal and the active duty commissioned officer of the United States Marine Corps - and the other Lockheed L-1011 aircraft passengers and crew murdered in a scheduled terrorism-sabotage attack by Bill Gates-Nazi-Microsoft-Corbis-NASA-George Bush the cowardly violent criminal by causing the external mounted Orbital Sciences Pegasus space satellite booster rocket to explode and fatally disable our aircraft ) To 7/13/2001 is 2573 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 11/18/1972 ( premiere US TV series episode "The New Scooby-Doo Movies"::"The Ghost of the Red Baron" ) is 2573 days



From 5/4/1980 ( premiere US TV series episode "Galactica 1980"::series finale episode "The Return of Starbuck" ) To 7/13/2001 is 7740 days

7740 = 3870 + 3870

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 6/7/1976 ( my biological brother Thomas Reagan the civilian and privately financed astronaut in deep space of the solar system in his privately financed atom-pulse propulsion spaceship this day was his first landing the Saturn moon Phoebe and the Saturn moon Phoebe territory belongs to my brother Thomas Reagan ) is 3870 days





http://www.tv.com/shows/stargate-sg-1/ascension-46099/

tv.com


Stargate SG-1 Season 5 Episode 3

Ascension

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 13, 2001 on Syfy

Carter finds romance from an alien who secretly followed her back from his planet.

AIRED: 7/13/01


http://stargate.mgm.com/view/episode/2556/index.html

STARGATE

THE OFFICIAL MGM SITE


Stargate SG-1 / Season 5 / Ascension

Ascension

Original Air Date: 07/13/2001










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/5.03_%22Ascension%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


5.03 "Ascension"


[They stop outside a room.]

CARTER
Sir. Is the SGC secretly keeping tabs on me?

O'NEILL
Secretly?

CARTER
Colonel, I did my duty in reporting the alien encounter and now everyone thinks I'm crazy.

O'NEILL
Look, Carter, here's the bottom line. No one has seen what you've seen and until that happens we're all going to think you're nuts.

CARTER
Sir, purely hypothetically, as my superior office, if this alien did show himself to me again…

O'NEILL
Did it?

CARTER
I'm just saying if the alien had the ability and desire to show himself only to me, it would probably be better if I gathered as much information as I could, possibly even found a way of isolating it, before I officially mentioned it again. Right?

O'NEILL
Probably. Yes. I got to pee.

[He goes into the bathroom.]










http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19990329&slug=2952170

The Seattle Times


Monday, March 29, 1999

`Melissa' Crashes, Swamps E-Mails -- An Estimated 100,000 Computers Infected By Virus

The AP

PITTSBURGH - E-mail systems crashed or were swamped at hundreds of companies of all sizes by the "Melissa" computer virus, a computer expert estimated today.

Jeff Carpenter, a team leader for the Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT) at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, estimated that more than 100,000 computers and hundreds of companies had been infected by the virus.

CERT first learned of the virus Friday afternoon, and its members worked through the night to analyze it, Katherine Fithen, CERT manager, said. She said the full reach of the virus might become clear today when millions of people sit down at their computer terminals for the first time since Melissa emerged.

Fithen declined to say if any government's security was breached and wouldn't name anyone whose files had been damaged. The New York Times reported today that files at Charles Schwab, Lucent Technologies and Intel had been affected.

The Melissa virus spreads via infected e-mail and attacks computers loaded with Microsoft's widely used Word 97 or Word 2000 programs, according to CERT.

Infected documents are sent as attachments to e-mails most frequently bearing a header: "Subject: Important Message From" and the name of person whose computer relayed the virus.

The message says, "Here is that document you asked for . . . don't show it to anyone else ;-)."

Several anti-virus software makers have posted software on their Web sites that their customers can download to detect and reject the virus. People can also protect themselves by not opening the attachments, Fithen said.

If a computer user opens an infected Word-format document, the virus propagates itself by reading the user's e-mail address book and sending an infected message to the first 50 entries, CERT said.

The message can include the contents of any Word document open on the computer, Fithen said.

Also, the virus can send so much unwanted e-mail that it crashes mail servers, the computers that distribute e-mail.

Microsoft was among the companies hit by the virus





http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/melissa.shtml

F-Secure Virus Descriptions : Melissa

NAME: Melissa

ALIAS: Simpsons, Kwyjibo, Kwejeebo, Mailissa

For more information on Melissa, see Global Melissa Information Center at http://www.F-Secure.com/melissa/

A virulent and widespread computer virus was found on Friday, March 26, 1999. This virus has spread all over the globe within just hours of the initial discovery, apparently spreading faster than any other virus before.

The virus, known as W97M/Melissa










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/5.03_%22Ascension%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


5.03 "Ascension"


CARTER
So what happened?

ORLIN
The others.

CARTER
The others of your kind destroyed the planet? Well, they interfered too, isn't that breaking their own rule.

ORLIN
As a collective, they decided it was necessary to prevent a disaster that I was responsible for. I was forced to live on Velona after that as my punishment.

CARTER
You couldn't have known.

ORLIN
That's why the rule exists.










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/5.03_%22Ascension%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


5.03 "Ascension"


ORLIN
I understand why you did it.

CARTER
Of course you wait until they took the cameras away.

ORLIN
Military protocol. You would have jeopardised your job if you didn't report me.

CARTER
I just came from a psychological evaluation. Do you understand what that means?

ORLIN
They think you're crazy.

CARTER
Am I?

ORLIN
There were times on Velona where I thought I might be losing my mind.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 8:50 AM Saturday, July 21, 2007


When I was sitting there in that bar in our office in historic Bellevue, Washington, in 1999


Later that evening, from my apartment at Oakwood


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 21 July 2007 excerpt ends]










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/5.03_%22Ascension%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


5.03 "Ascension"


CARTER
Velona.

ORLIN
Your planet refers to it as 636. I was there for hundreds of years by myself.










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/5.03_%22Ascension%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


5.03 "Ascension"


DANIEL
Hey, Sam, are you done with that camera yet? Sam?

[He doesn't receive any answer so he heads into the cavern. Carter is lying unconscious on the floor and he rushes over to her to feel for a pulse.]

DANIEL
(into his radio)
Jack, get back here. Now!


INT—INFIRMARY, SGC

[Carter is sitting on one of the infirmary beds, speaking with Dr Fraiser.]

CARTER
Next thing you know I'm waking up with Colonel O'Neill looking down at me.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070481/releaseinfo

IMDb


One Little Indian (1973)

Release Info

USA 20 June 1973










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045925/releaseinfo

IMDb


Jack Slade (1953)

Release Info

USA 8 November 1953










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045925/taglines

IMDb


Jack Slade (1953)

Taglines


The Only law the outlaws taught him was kill...kill...kill! The only way the law could get him was through the choking smoke of his blazing guns!










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/5.03_%22Ascension%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


5.03 "Ascension"


CARTER
I've always just thought of myself as very focussed.

O'NEILL
It's called working too hard. You're going to crash and burn.

CARTER
I really don't have that much else to do, Sir.

O'NEILL
Well find something. Take up…golf. Fly a kite, knit something.

[He leaves the room.]

CARTER
(to the empty room)
I…I'm fine. Really.

EXT—STREET (DAY)

[Carter pulls up in front of her house and gets out of the car to head inside.]

INT—CARTER'S HOUSE

[Carter enters her home and heads into the kitchen to check her answering machine.]

ANSWERING MACHINE
You have no new messages.










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/5.03_%22Ascension%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


5.03 "Ascension"


CARTER
Hey Daniel, it's me.

DANIEL
Hi, Sam.

CARTER
I was just wondering how far you'd got on the 636 translation.

DANIEL
Oh yes, I'm almost done. It miraculously seems to hold the key to all the mysteries of the universe.

CARTER
You just got there, you haven't started and I should leave you alone.

DANIEL
I thought you were supposed to be taking it easy.

CARTER
Yeah, it's not so easy.

DANIEL
Yeah, I know. Yeah, I promise I'll call you when I have something.

CARTER
Ok, thanks.

INT—CARTER'S HOUSE

[Carter hangs up and turns around and is shocked to see the man from outside standing before her.]

CARTER
How did you get in here?

MAN
I won't hurt you.

CARTER
(angrily)
No, I'll hurt you if you come any closer.

[She starts to dial the phone for help.]

MAN
Please don't. I just wanna talk to you.

CARTER
About what?

MAN
It's complicated.

CARTER
Let's start with how you got into my house?

MAN
I followed you home last night.

CARTER
You've been here all night?

MAN
I read some of your books and watched the television so I could learn how to speak and what to wear.
(He looks down at himself)
Is this ok?

CARTER
You've been in my house all night?

MAN
Yes. But you couldn't see me. I just took this form now so we could relate. Actually, I used to look this way before my ascension.

[Carter starts to dial again.]

MAN
Please, I'm not crazy.

[She slams the phone down.]

CARTER
Who are you?

MAN
My name is Orlin. I'm from the planet you just visited. I followed you back through the Stargate.

CARTER
See, that's impossible.

[He walks straight through the kitchen counter to stand before her. Carter backs away.]

ORLIN
I can become invisible in my natural, non-corporeal state.

CARTER
What do you want?

ORLIN
I'm sorry if I scared you, I just wanted to talk to you. It's been so long since I…I…I know this is going to seem…ok, I'll jut come out and say it and then move on from there. I have these, I guess you could call them feelings.

[Carter edges around him, then starts to run away.]

ORLIN
But the truth is…I love you.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111070/releaseinfo

IMDb


The Santa Clause (1994)

Release Info

USA 11 November 1994










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/5.03_%22Ascension%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


5.03 "Ascension"


ORLIN
I don't know where the rest of my kind are.

CARTER
Well, believe it or not, we met one of them. Her name was Oma Desala.

ORLIN
Really. Never heard of her.

CARTER
She could do the same glowy kind of things that you can and she controlled the forces of Nature.

ORLIN
Yeah, that's easy. At least it used to be.

CARTER
Well she lived on a planet called Kheb and she helped people ascend to a higher plane of existence.

ORLIN
That's why I've never heard of her. She was probably banished, like me.

CARTER
What for?

ORLIN
Breaking one of the most sacred rules of our kind: Do not accelerate the natural ascension process of those beneath. The humans of Velona were under attack from the Goa'uld. I was prohibited from interfering, but I couldn't just watch them die.

CARTER
You told them how to build the weapon.

ORLIN
Communicated the knowledge, yes. They saved themselves.

CARTER
But not for long.

ORLIN
No.

CARTER
Well, you were right to try.

ORLIN
You're wrong. It was a horrible mistake. Shortly after they used the weapon to defend themselves, they started to plan the conquest of other planets using the technology that I gave them.

CARTER
So what happened?

ORLIN
The others.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034694/releaseinfo

IMDb


Edge of Darkness (1943)

Release Info

USA 9 April 1943 (New York City, New York)



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034694/fullcredits

IMDb


Edge of Darkness (1943)

Full Cast & Crew


Errol Flynn ... Gunnar Brogge



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034694/plotsummary

IMDb


Edge of Darkness (1943)

Plot Summary


It's two years after the Nazi's invasion of Norway and in a small fishing village that is headquarters to 150 German soldiers, the 800 locals are stewing, waiting for a supply of arms so they can revolt. Leaders include Karen Stensgard, whose father is the town's doctor and not all that sure that an open revolt will accomplish much and whose brother has proven disloyal to Norway previously, and Gunnar Brogge, a fisherman who was planning to sail to England to fight but changed his mind on hearing of English arms being delivered. Although the Nazi's cruelty is evident, the townspeople bide their time, until one incident causes the stewpot to boil over.










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/5.03_%22Ascension%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


5.03 "Ascension"


CARTER
Orlin, what are you doing?

ORLIN
Ok, just a minute.

CARTER
There's a team of Special Forces outside.

ORLIN
I know.

CARTER
They wanna take you into custody.

ORLIN
I know. It's ok.

CARTER
Orlin, I didn't turn you in.

ORLIN
I didn't think you did.

[He does something to the fuse box, causing sparks, then grabs her hand and pulls her into another room.]

ORLIN
Come on.

[They enter the other room to find a small Stargate in the middle.]

CARTER
Whoa. You've been busy.

ORLIN
I didn't think they'd let me go back to Velona through their Stargate.

CARTER
So you built one?

ORLIN
Sort of. This won't dial multiple addresses and will only create a wormhole once and probably burn out.

CARTER
And you ordered the materials on line.

ORLIN
Mostly. Sorry, but you're going to have a pretty big credit card bill this month. Oh, and you're going to need a new toaster.










http://www.tv.com/shows/galactica-1980/the-return-of-starbuck-15046/trivia/

tv.com


Galactica 1980 Season 1 Episode 10

The Return of Starbuck

Quotes


Starbuck: What did you do when it came time for a little... personal initative?

Cy: We were taking a vote when the ground came up and hit us.










http://www.stargate-sg1-solutions.com/wiki/5.03_%22Ascension%22_Transcript

STARGATE WIKI


5.03 "Ascension"


CARTER
Hey Daniel, it's me.

DANIEL
Hi, Sam.

CARTER
I was just wondering how far you'd got on the 636 translation.

DANIEL
Oh yes, I'm almost done. It miraculously seems to hold the key to all the mysteries of the universe.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057312/releaseinfo

IMDb


Miracle of the White Stallions (1963)

Release Info

USA 29 March 1963



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057312/plotsummary

IMDb


Miracle of the White Stallions (1963)

Plot Summary


In WWII Austria, Col. Alois Podhajsky must protect his beloved Lipizzaner stallions and make sure that they are surrendered into the right hands. But Patton's something of a horse fancier and can help...if he sees the stallions perform.










http://www.azlyrics.com/k/killers.html

AZ

THE KILLERS

album: "Day & Age" (2008)



http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/killers/spaceman.html


THE KILLERS


"Spaceman"

It started with a low light,
Next thing I knew they ripped me from my bed
And then they took my blood type
It left a strange impression in my head.
You know that I was hoping,
That I could leave this star-crossed world behind
But when they cut me open,
I guess I changed my mind.

And you know I might
Have just flown too far from the floor this time
Cause they're calling me by my name
And the zipping white light beams
Disregards the bombs and satellites

That was the turning point
That was one lonely night










http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s2/transcripts/212.shtml

GateWorld


STARGATE ATLANTIS

Epiphany

EPISODE NUMBER - 212

DVD DISC - Season 2, Disc 3

ORIGINAL U.S. AIR DATE - 01.13.06


INSIDE THE BARRIER. John is on his feet by the doorway, talking into the radio. He has a couple of days' growth of beard.

SHEPPARD: Rodney, Teyla, Ronon? Come in? (There's no reply.) You guys are starting to worry me a little bit here.

OUTSIDE THE BARRIER.

McKAY: Empty your pockets -- everything you think he might need to survive.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflex


Reflex

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A reflex action, differently known as a reflex, is an involuntary and nearly instantaneous movement in response to a stimulus. Scientific use of the term "reflex" refers to a behavior that is mediated via the reflex arc; this does not apply to casual uses of the term "reflex".







http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain


Brain

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Physiologically, the function of the brain is to exert centralized control over the other organs of the body. The brain acts on the rest of the body both by generating patterns of muscle activity


The operations of individual brain cells are now understood in considerable detail but the way they cooperate in ensembles of millions has yet to be solved. Recent models in modern neuroscience treat the brain as a biological computer, very different in mechanism from an electronic computer, but similar in the sense that it acquires information from the surrounding world, stores it, and processes it in a variety of ways, analogous to the central processing unit (CPU) in a computer.


Anatomy


Neuroanatomists usually divide the vertebrate brain into six main regions: the telencephalon (cerebral hemispheres), diencephalon (thalamus and hypothalamus), mesencephalon (midbrain), cerebellum, pons, and medulla oblongata. Each of these areas has a complex internal structure. Some parts, such as the cerebral cortex and the cerebellar cortex, consist of layers that are folded or convoluted to fit within the available space. Other parts, such as the thalamus and hypothalamus, consist of clusters of many small nuclei. Thousands of distinguishable areas can be identified within the vertebrate brain based on fine distinctions of neural structure, chemistry, and connectivity.


Physiology


Functions

Further information: Dualism (philosophy of mind)

From an evolutionary-biological perspective, the function of the brain is to provide coherent control over the actions of an animal. A centralized brain allows groups of muscles to be co-activated in complex patterns; it also allows stimuli impinging on one part of the body to evoke responses in other parts, and it can prevent different parts of the body from acting at cross-purposes to each other.

To generate purposeful and unified action, the brain first brings information from sense organs together at a central location. It then processes this raw data to extract information about the structure of the environment. Next it combines the processed sensory information with information about the current needs of an animal and with memory of past circumstances. Finally, on the basis of the results, it generates motor response patterns that are suited to maximize the welfare of the animal. These signal-processing tasks require intricate interplay between a variety of functional subsystems.


Motor control

Motor systems are areas of the brain that are directly or indirectly involved in producing body movements, that is, in activating muscles. Except for the muscles that control the eye, which are driven by nuclei in the midbrain, all the voluntary muscles in the body are directly innervated by motor neurons in the spinal cord and hindbrain. Spinal motor neurons are controlled both by neural circuits intrinsic to the spinal cord, and by inputs that descend from the brain. The intrinsic spinal circuits implement many reflex responses, and contain pattern generators for rhythmic movements such as walking or swimming. The descending connections from the brain allow for more sophisticated control.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 8:50 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Sunday 26 April 2015