Friday, January 28, 2011

Explorer




http://www.tv.com/the-simpsons/scuse-me-while-i-miss-the-sky/episode/193390/trivia.html

tv.com

The Simpsons

Season 14, Episode 16

'Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky

Air Date

Sunday March 30, 2003

Quotes

Lisa: Forget it Bart. It's so bright out that the only thing in the sky you can see is the Fox satellite.

(Cut to a damaged FOX satellite being held up by three balloons)










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%27Scuse_Me_While_I_Miss_the_Sky

'Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky


Orig. airdate March 30, 2003

Couch gag The living room is in an ocean. Homer is on water skis, with the others on him, as he ski-jumps over sharks; everybody lands on the couch, but Homer's legs are in the mouth of the shark


"'Scuse Me While I Miss the Sky" is the sixteenth episode of the fourteenth season of The Simpsons that aired March 30, 2003.


The episode begins with Bart being introduced to Declan Desmond (voiced by Eric Idle), a no-nonsense British filmmaker, whose documentaries are hard-hitting and, sometimes, a bit distorted. He shows Bart’s fellow students a clip from one of his documentaries about Krusty Burger, Do You Want Lies With That?, which parodies Super Size Me.[citation needed] After the clips are finished, Declan informs the kids that he is now shooting a documentary in Springfield Elementary and wants them all to act as they normally do.


To this end, Lisa eventually decides to take up astronomy. She convinces Homer to buy her a telescope, but discovers that light pollution from the city is blocking her view of Venus and Jupiter. After a discussion with Professor Frink, Lisa starts a petition to reduce the city’s light pollution. After gaining enough signatures, Mayor Quimby agrees to turn off the streetlights, leading to a clear view of the stars at which many people from Springfield marvel.

Meanwhile Bart is looking for a way to regain his popularity after being humiliated and after seeing Nelson parading around with stolen car hood ornaments decides to go one better and steal Fat Tony’s hood ornament. On their first attempt Milhouse and Bart are foiled because Quimby has bowed to public pressure to switch the lights back on permanently because of the rising crime.

Lisa (still wanting to see the light pollution reduced) and Bart (still wanting to steal Fat Tony’s Hood ornament) take a now sleep-deprived Homer (due to the constant bright street lights) to the Power plant and overload the generators causing a power outage. They are then confronted by the townfolk about the power outage until Lisa points out a meteor shower that she knew would happen and wanted to see but could not because of the previous light pollution. The town look on in wonderment while Bart sneaks off and successfully steals Fat Tony’s hood ornament.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:56:56 -0800 (PST)

From: "Kerry Burgess"

Subject: Charleston

To: "Kerry Burgess"

I was disappointed to see on the news today the destruction of the old Cooper River Bridge in Charleston, SC. I sailed under that bridge more often than I drove across it. I actually found it kind of intimidating to drive across in my Ford Explorer pickup when I was 19.

I also remembered something about Charleston from before I even knew I would be stationed there for several years. When I was in high school, I remember a movie on TV about Charleston. It was a fake TV news report about terrorists that detonate an atomic bomb in Charleston harbor. I thought about that movie a lot when I was there and it is saddening to think of such a disgusting thing happening anywhere on this planet. The movie is also commentary about how terrorists can win just by making scared and how people with access to public media can aid the terrorists, effectively promoting their cause by talking about how much of a threat they are.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Bulletin
Special Bulletin was an American made-for-TV movie first broadcast in 1983. It was an early collaboration between director Edward Zwick and writer Marshall Herskovitz, a team that would later produce such series as thirtysomething and My So-Called Life. In this movie, a terrorist group brings a homemade atomic bomb aboard a tugboat in the harbor of Charleston, South Carolina in order to blackmail the U.S. Government into disabling its nuclear weapons, and the incident is caught live on television.


The movie investigates the issue of the media's coverage of an event, as to whether it changes the event, whether the media is irresponsible in giving such persons access to the airwaves, and whether the media trivializes significant events by the type of coverage given to them. Though not as cynical as the portrayal of the media in the film Die Hard, Special Bulletin takes a serious look at the possible symbiosis between the media and those it has to deal with. whether they be government officials, politicians, terrorists and criminals, or media pundits, in covering a story.



http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=45967

the Emmy-winning Special Bulletin first aired on March 20, 1983. This initial broadcast was accompanied by repeated disclaimers, assuring the audience that what was transpiring on their TV screens was not really happening. Even so, the production was so authentic-looking (right down to the fabricated previews of upcoming network dramatic programs) that thousands of panicky viewers called in to NBC, demanding further information on the siege of Charleston.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 15 February 2006 excerpt ends]










http://www.cswap.com/1985/Back_to_the_Future/cap/en/4_Parts/a/00_21

Back to the Future


:22:04
Wait a minute, Doc.

:22:07
Are you telling me that
you built a time machine...

:22:11
-...out of a DeLorean?
-The way I see it...

:22:13
...if you're going to build a time machine
into a car, why not do it with style?










1980 film "The Final Countdown" DVD video:


US Navy Chief Petty Officer: It's a code.

US Navy Commander Dan Thurman - USS Nimitz CVN 68 executive officer: Can you break it, Chief?

US Navy Chief Petty Officer: I think someone's putting us on.

US Navy Commander Dan Thurman - USS Nimitz CVN 68 executive officer: Why?

US Navy Chief Petty Officer: Because I learned this code at Great Lakes. It's ancient.










http://ncwportal.com/grant/water/ancient_lake

North Central Washington Portal

Grant County » Rivers, Lakes and Creeks » Ancient Lake

Part of the Quincy Lakes Wildlife Area, Ancient Lake is a walk in only and allows tent camping.





http://ncwportal.com/grant/water/burke_lake

North Central Washington Portal

Grant County » Rivers, Lakes and Creeks » Burke Lake


East and southwest sides of the lake have restrooms and boat launch facilities. West side has restrooms, boat launch and a campsite. The lake features rainbow trout.

Access the lake along State Route 281 between Quincy and George, about 6 miles south of Quincy, turn right onto 3 NW Road. Continue down 3 NW Road for one mile to the canal. Cross over the canal and continue one mile. Turn right at the Burke Lake sign.





http://ncwportal.com/grant/interest/quincy_lakes_wildlife_area

North Central Washington Portal

Grant County » Area Attractions » Quincy Lakes Wildlife Area

The Quincy Lakes Wildlife Area covers 15,266 acres and is part of the Quincy Unit of the North Columbia Basin State Wildlife Recreation Area. Recreational opportunities include boating, hunting, water sports, fishing, and camping. Fish species include smallmouth bass, largemouth bass, rainbow trout, yellow perch, and crappie.

Lakes located in the Quincy Lakes Wildlife Area,

Ancient Lake
Burke Lake










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

To: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 7:33:28 PM

Subject: Re: Journal May 21, 2006, Supplemental


Kerry Burgess wrote:

Damn, I thought after writing all these notes to myself today, this is going to turn in to the Great Lakes based on the volume. Every single detail I remember to my artificial life means something else, it is some metaphor for something else. All this stuff I see in the movies and television was put there to help me find my way back. It lets me remember, especially the pain and grief, on easier terms, instead of having it slap me in the face all at one time.

From my notes earlier today, I was commenting to myself that something is wrong or off with the timeline. That may be because I am older than I think I am, maybe several years. I can remember some clues over the past few years, of what I considered to be real memories and not implanted memories, that support this theory that I am older.

My current train of thought is that basically, I was in the military, possibly as a pilot along with some other roles, I was a POW at some point and was tortured during captivity. I suspect I was in captivity for a long time, but that sense of time may be from another experience.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 21 May 2006 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Tuesday, July 17, 2007

My first school was the U.S. Navy Basic Electricity and Electronics at the Service School Command in Orlando, Florida, and I completed that course in April 1986. I am quite certain that, in the context of my artificial and symbolic memory, I started there in February 1986. From there, I drove my 1978 Ford Explorer pickup on a long drive to the Chicago-area where I began the Fire Control Technician "A" School.


I graduated from Great Lakes in November 1986 and went back to


house on Hicks Road on 30 days leave before I was due to attend MK152 Guided Missile Fire Control Computer Complex school, in Dam Neck, Virginia.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 17 July 2007 excerpt ends]










1996 film "Star Trek: First Contact" DVD video:


Starfleet Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge: I tried to reconstruct the intermix chamber from what I remember in school. Tell me if I got it right.

Dr. Zefram Cochrane: School? You learned about this in school?

Starfleet Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge: Oh, yeah. Basic Warp Design is a required course at the Academy. The first chapter is called "Zefram Cochrane."

Dr. Zefram Cochrane: Well, it looks like you got it right.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Re: Journal May 19, 2006


My memory, which I am growing increasingly certain is false beyond a certain date, reminds me of something my step-brother said to me back in 1985. I had bought a used pickup while home on leave and was driving it back to Charleston to return to my ship. He told me that while I was driving for so long, I would be making anagrams from the word on the hood ornament. The Ford pickup was, I believe, a 1978 model and the hood ornament had the word Explorer on it.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 19 May 2006 excerpt ends]