Monday, January 17, 2011

February 1990 and separation leave.




JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Home

I've written several times of this experience in terms of that Star Trek:TNG episode where Capt. Picard is assimilated by the Borg. While I do not consider myself a "Trekkie", I like the Star Trek series because I am a fan in general of science fiction, and because I like any good story that captures my imagination. There was a follow-on episode to those episodes of where Picard is captured and it was titled "Family." While I typically like the episodes with more action, I always get a kick out this episode because Picard's brother reminded me so much of my sister, in terms of obvious sibling rivalry. I also found myself envying Picard's character for being able to go back to a home like that, where he has roots. I was watching a movie a few months ago based on John McCain's POW experiences and I was thinking of how a lot of it seemed similar. I was most interested in what it was like for him to come back home after his 6 years in captivity but the movie seemed kind of light there. I also found myself envying McCain for his family, especially not only being third-generation Navy but a family of notable service to the Navy.

The original air date of this episode was October 1990, and my formal discharge from the Navy was May 1990. I'm not sure when I actually watched this episode though; probably around the 1994 time-frame. It reminds me of a pivotal point back in 1990. I was leaving the Navy and I had absolutely no idea what I was going to do. I had spent the last 6 months overseas so there had been no way to even do any interviews until I was actually out of the service. As luck would have it, a buddy of mine, who I had worked with on the USS Wainwright, recommended me to a company he was interviewing with and I got that job. I got out of the Navy on a Friday and I was working there that next Monday. Coincidentally, the same thing had happened six years earlier where I graduated high school on Friday and was in Navy boot camp the next Monday.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 14 September 2005 excerpt ends]










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708845

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Star Trek: The Next Generation (TV series 1987–1994)

Yesterday's Enterprise (#3.15)


Patrick Stewart ... Captain Jean-Luc Picard


Release Date: 17 February 1990 (USA)





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708845/quotes

IMDb

The Internet Movie Database

Memorable quotes for

"Star Trek: The Next Generation"

Yesterday's Enterprise (1990)


Capt. Picard: The war is going very badly for the Federation, far worse than is generally known. Starfleet Command believes that defeat is inevitable. Within six months, we may have no choice but to surrender.

Capt. Rachel Garrett: Are you saying that all this may be a result of our arrival here?

Capt. Picard: One more ship will make no difference in the here and now, but twenty-two years ago, one ship could have stopped this war before it started.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Thursday, June 07, 2007 posted by H.V.O.M at 8:07 PM


The U.S. military DD-214 form that I received from the official personnel records center contains a primary speciality number of 1189, which was created for this official federal undercover identity I am still using. Subtracting 59 from 1189 produces 1130, which is the billet number for a regular commissioned U.S. Navy officer with the U.S. Navy SEAL qualification.


12. Record Of Service
a. Date Entered AD This Period: 84 May 15
b. Separation Date This Period: 90 May 14
c. Net Active Service This Period: 06 years 00 months 00 days
d. Total Prior Active Service: 02 years 00 months 00 days


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 7 June 2007 excerpt ends]










1996 film "Star Trek: First Contact" DVD video:


Dr. Zefram Cochrane: [ laughing ] Let me make sure I understand you correctly, Commander. A group of cybernetic creatures from the future have travelled back through time to enslave the human race. And you're here to stop them? Hot damn! You're heroic. [ laughing ]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Home


I got out of the Navy on a Friday and I was working there that next Monday. Coincidentally, the same thing had happened six years earlier where I graduated high school on Friday and was in Navy boot camp the next Monday.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 14 September 2005 excerpt ends]










http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/marshal

marshal

a court officer serving processes, attending court, giving personal service to the judges, etc.


in the US

a. a Federal court officer assigned to a judicial district whose functions are similar to those of a sheriff