Saturday, January 15, 2011

I'm not intelligent enough to have dreams that seem to demonstrate such a technical profound concept.




I didn't even start watching that DVD for the 1980 film "The Final Countdown until years later; probably late 2008 I think without looking it up.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleic_acid_double_helix

Nucleic acid double helix

In molecular biology, the term double helix refers to the structure formed by double-stranded molecules of nucleic acids such as DNA and RNA. The double helical structure of a nucleic acid complex arises as a consequence of its secondary structure, and is a fundamental component in determining its tertiary structure. The term entered popular culture with the publication in 1968 of The Double Helix: A Personal Account of the Discovery of the Structure of DNA, by James Watson.

The DNA double helix is a spiral polymer of nucleic acids, held together by nucleotides which base pair together. In B-DNA, the most common double helical structure, the double helix is right-handed with about 10–10.5 nucleotides per turn. The double helix structure of DNA contains a major groove and minor groove, the major groove being wider than the minor groove. Given the difference in widths of the major groove and minor groove, many proteins which bind to DNA do so through the wider major groove.










http://www.cswap.com/1980/The_Final_Countdown/cap/en/2_Parts/a/00_07

The Final Countdown


:07:10
- Continue fixed wing recovery.
- Aye, Captain.

:07:12
Let's bring the [ CAG ] aboard.

:07:14
Victor-200,
your signal is Charlie.

:07:18
- Set 52, Tomcat.
- Set 52, Tomcat.

:07:24
T- minus 30 seconds.

:07:29
Tomcat 200.
I'm on approach and lining up.

:07:35
Gear coming down.

:07:44
200, slightly right.

:07:49
Gear down and locked.

:07:50
Add power. Power.

:07:53
All indicators green.

:07:55
Hold there.

:07:58
Hold it. Slightly left.

:08:02
In the groove. Looks good.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 9/22/2006 5:11 PM

After I awoke from a nap this afternoon, I felt compelled to write about a dream I had just before I woke up but then did not write about it. I started feeling that need to write about it again but may have forgotten some details by now. I have started thinking that the dreams I have just before waking up mean something in their own right.

In the dream, I was wearing a Navy uniform. I didn’t have anywhere to go though and seemed to be just walking around what I guess was a Navy installation. I decided to go into a building to ask if another Commander was still there even though I knew he wasn’t there. I spoke to a Navy enlisted person who appeared to be an Airman judging by his three green stripes although I couldn’t make out his rating symbol. He asked me a question but I didn’t hear his question and I asked him to repeat it by saying “Sir?” to him with an inquisitive tone. He asked me how I could not know that the other Commander was already deployed and I said something about how I just did not know. I left and walked down and out on some kind of spiral staircase, although that part isn’t that clear and I find myself wondering about that part. There was another spiral staircase ahead of me, there seemed to be dual staircases on either side of the front door to that building, and a Lt. j.g. came down the other side. I want to say he was someone I should know but I can’t picture him as someone I knew. I want to say it was him that spoke something to me at that point but I also want to say the voice came from behind me. He said, or someone else said, something about me being “a little off.” I wondered if he meant that I was wrong about some of these details. Then I wondered if he meant I was a little crazy, but I think I started thinking that last one after I woke up. I think after he or someone said that, it made me start thinking about the uniform I was wearing. I found myself thinking after I awoke that it seemed to be a Marine Corps officers dress uniform. I seemed to be wearing the dark blue Marine uniform with white pants. But I am confused about one detail as it seemed I looked to my left shoulder and saw Navy shoulder boards with Captain stripes. Or was it just an epaulet, I am not sure, but there was a pair of sunglasses clipped under it. I was walking down the sidewalk and there were two people ahead of me. One may have been that Lt. j.g. Another was a female officer, Navy I guess. Somewhere along there I realized I had forgotten to wear the appropriate cover for that uniform and realized that I was still wearing a ball cap, although I had actually taken it off as I went outside. I realized I couldn’t return anyone’s salute. Then I started thinking that the ball cap had USS Wainwright printed on it but I don’t remember actually looking at it and I may remember that detail in the sense that someone was reading details to me, they were telling me what the name was on the cap. I also remember that it had a frayed bill just like the Nike cap I have now. I remember I was walking very slowly. It was hard to walk and I was limping. I have thought several times before that if I do start wearing the uniform again, I should use a cane until I get my leg back in better shape. Then I was in a parking garage and I had to cross a street into a parking lot, I guess to find my car.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 22 September 2006 excerpt ends]










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix

Helix

A helix (pl: helixes or helices) is a type of space curve, i.e. a smooth curve in three-dimensional space. It is characterized by the fact that the tangent line at any point makes a constant angle with a fixed line called the axis. Examples of helixes are coil springs and the handrails of spiral staircases. A "filled-in" helix – for example, a spiral ramp – is called a helicoid. Helices are important in biology, as the DNA molecule is formed as two intertwined helices, and many proteins have helical substructures, known as alpha helices. The word helix comes from the Greek word, "twisted, curved".










1996 film "Star Trek: First Contact" DVD video:


Starfleet Lieutenant Reginald Barclay III: Dr. Cochrane, I know this sounds silly, but can I shake your hand? Thank you, Doctor. I can't tell you what an honor it is to work with you on this project.

Starfleet Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge: Reg.

Starfleet Lieutenant Reginald Barclay III: I never imagined that I'd be meeting the man who invented warp drive. I -

Starfleet Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge: Reg!

Starfleet Lieutenant Reginald Barclay III: I'm sorry. Right. Thanks.

Dr. Zefram Cochrane: Do they have to keep doing that?

Starfleet Lieutenant Commander Geordi La Forge: It's just a little hero worship, Doc. To tell you the truth, I can't say I blame them. We all grew up hearing about what you did here. Or what you're about to do.