Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I'm going to do it, too.




http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helix

Helix

A helix (pl: helixes or helices) is a type of space curve, i.e. a smooth curve in three-dimensional space. It is characterized by the fact that the tangent line at any point makes a constant angle with a fixed line called the axis. Examples of helixes are coil springs and the handrails of spiral staircases. A "filled-in" helix – for example, a spiral ramp – is called a helicoid. Helices are important in biology, as the DNA molecule is formed as two intertwined helices, and many proteins have helical substructures, known as alpha helices. The word helix comes from the Greek word, "twisted, curved".










http://www.cswap.com/1996/Star_Trek:_First_Contact/cap/en/25fps/a/00_53

Star Trek: First Contact


:54:10
Dr Cochrane, I know this sounds
silly, but can I shake your hand?

:54:17
It's such an honour to work with you.

:54:21
I never imagined I'd meet
the man who invented warp drive.

:54:26
I'm sorry... Thanks.

:54:36
- Do they have to keep doing that?
- It's just a little hero worship.

:54:42
I can't say I blame them.
We all grew up hearing about you.

:54:47
Or, what you're about to do.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Posted by H.V.O.M at 11:40 AM Sunday, January 02, 2011


Stampede Pass





I must have been lying in bed for over four hours last night and could not fall asleep for that much time and longer because I started thinking during the night last night that Stampede Pass is where I materialized after the L-1011 Stargazer spiraled down from over forty thousand feet after breaking into pieces and then crashed with such force that it virtually vaporized on contact with that ground. I started thinking of how that scene with "Picard" and his wife announcing that dinner was ready could be a detail I created to represent the details I read about the source of the name for Stampede Pass, as well as how "Kirk" mentions that he smell something burning in the kitchen. I thought over many details last night as I hoped to fall asleep and I was thinking of how the dialog with the statue in the 1996 film "Star Trek: First Contact" is about how after I understood that my aircraft was unflyable because, for one reason, a wing had just broken off due to impact with debris from the Pegasus rocket that had just exploded in front of my windshield, I was turned around part ways in my seat as the pilot and I had my had outreached to shake the hand of Kerry Burgess and I spoke that flying with had been an honor but the aircraft was spinning too fast for us to shake hands. When I materialized at Stampede Pass I felt as though I had materialized about one inch or two above the ground and I found myself standing there in the woods on that dirt road with absolutely no idea where I was and I was standing there with my hand still reaching out to shake his hand.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 2 January 2011 excerpt ends]