Monday, October 21, 2019

Unnatural Selection


Kerry Burgess, excerpt from my private journal: 11/28/06 12:08 AM
I wonder if I went by the name Thomas Ray at Princeton or if I used another name. I wanted to look through the alumnus list but it is restricted. I did find one for the Computer Science group though and I first looked at 1970 but didn't see anything that stood out. Then I started to wonder about this guy, primarily because of the word "autonomous":

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/people/alumni/year/69

King, III, William F., *69
Advisor: P. Weiner
Thesis: On the Modular Decomposition of Autonomous Machines
Current Employer: PSW Technologies, Inc.








Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 1)

Blake Crouch

Amazon Kindle Version (08/21/2012)

Chapter 1

page 9

He staggered down the sidewalk, part of him screaming that he should go straight to the hospital.








Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 1)

Blake Crouch

Amazon Kindle Version (08/21/2012)

Chapter 1

page 9

But something in him still resisted the idea of going to the hospital, and as he moved away from downtown and toward the residence of Mack Skozie, he realized what it was.

Again...fear.








Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 1)

Blake Crouch

Amazon Kindle Version (08/21/2012)

Chapter 1

page 9

It was the strangest sort of fear. Unspecified. Like walking in the woods at night, not knowing exactly what you should be afraid of, and the fear all the more potent precisely because of its mystery.








Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 1)

Blake Crouch

Amazon Kindle Version (08/21/2012)

Chapter 1

page 11

Kids were playing in the grass of a yard just ahead, taking turns running through a sprinkler. He tried to walk upright and steady as he reached their picket fence, but he couldn't stop himself from favoring his right side to ease the jarring of his ribs.

The children became still and quiet as he drew near, watching him shuffle past with unrestrained stares - a mix of curiosity and distrust that made him uneasy.








Pines (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 1)

Blake Crouch

Amazon Kindle Version (08/21/2012)

Chapter 1

page 13

"Can I help you?" the man asked.

He straightened himself up, blinking hard through the migraine. It took everything in his power to stand without support.

"Are you Mack?" He could hear the fear in his voice, figured this man could too.

Hated himself for it.

The older man leaned in toward the screen to get a better look at the stranger on his porch.

"What can I do for you?"

"Are you Mack?"

"Yes."

He edged closer, the older man coming into sharp focus, the sour sweetness of red wine on his breath.

"Do you know me?" he asked.

"Pardon?"

Now the fear was fermenting into rage.

"Do. You. Know. Me. Did you do this to me?"

The old man said, "I've never seen you before in my life."

"Is that right?" His hands were balling involuntarily into fists. "Is there another Mack in this town?"

"Not that I'm aware of." Mack pushed open the screen door, ventured a step out onto the porch. "Buddy, you don't look so hot."

"I don't feel so hot."

"What happened to you?"

"You tell me, *Mack*."



- posted by Kerry Burgess 3:46 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Monday 10/21/2019