Monday, October 28, 2019

Victory at Sea


Wayward (The Wayward Pines Trilogy, Book 2) (09/17/2013)

Blake Crouch

Chapter 8

page 83

Wow, he stunk. It was almost like he'd developed his own musk.

His mind wouldn't stop running.

The chances of a swarm stumbling through this grove of pines were admittedly slim. A small group or a loner - better.

Tree bivouacking was a good news/bad news proposition.

The good news - it kept him out of the obvious lines of sight. Countless times, he'd heard a branch snap in the middle of the night and rolled quietly over to stare down twenty or thirty feet at an abby creeping past underneath him.

The bad news - if one ever looked up, he was treed.

He reached down and touched the smooth, leathered handle of his Bowie.

It was the only real weapon in his arsenal. The Winchester would get him killed in close combat, and he only used it anymore to hunt *his* food.

He slept always with his hand on the knife, sometimes waking in the dark, other-side of midnight to find himself clutching it like a talisman. Strange to think that an object of such violence had assumed a place as comforting in his mind








Kerry Burgess, exceprt from my private journal: 10/02/08 4:02 AM
I had some other dreams that featured my wife after going back to sleep but nothing along the intensity of that dream about her outside the apartment. I was thinking afterwards that I could not actually visualize her in that dream and maybe that person represented that I wanted to see her.

I also think the goddamned zombies were making noises outside my window the past few hours I have been asleep just to screw with me while I was asleep and because of that dream I noted earlier at around 9 p.m.








excerpt from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: 01/30/08 5:52 PM
I also had the pleasant thought sometime after waking up, although I think it was not just after I woke up, of actually getting an email from Phoebe. She wrote that she had been reading my blog, she thought I was sweet, and she sent me some photos that I had not seen. None of the photos had me in them but there was one that seemed to be me seen from my back. Then the thought occurred to me with the same level of assuredness that I would not be getting any emails from Phoebe.



excerpt from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: 01/30/08 6:12 PM
That would also be my initials as Thomas R. Cates.



excerpt from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: 01/30/08 8:59 PM
I would stand at the window for an hour yelling out that I love her if I thought that would help me figure out how to get back home to her, where I am supposed to be.

01/30/08 9:37 PM
There was something important I just wanted to look up but it slipped my mind and it is driving me crazy.



excerpt from my private journal as Kerry Burgess: 01/30/08 11:34 PM
I had some specific thoughts that might have been actual memories of when I was in the hospital in 1987 after I was rescued. I imagined or remembered that Phoebe was there and that she met me at the hospital at a U.S. military base in Germany and she stayed there with me at my side in the hospital. I was delirious for a while, days perhaps or even weeks, but eventually I recognized her. The nurses coming into my room at night would scare the hell out of me. When I was lost in Africa, noises in the pitch black night did not startle me so much because being startled and jumping around would not have helped the situation, especially because I usually slept at night in trees, if there were any around. After I was delirious though, I was in pretty bad shape and really had no idea what was happening.



- posted by Kerry Burgess 11:03 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Monday 10/28/2019