Tuesday, July 24, 2012

But yet the time-traveler effect - the effect of *me* the time-traveler - is absurdly discounted publicly in the year 1966.




http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/16b.htm

The Menagerie, part 2

Stardate:3012.4

Original Airdate: Nov 24, 1966


[Woodland glade]

VINA: You want some coffee, dear? I left the thermos hooked to my saddle.

PIKE: Tango! You old devil, you. Uh, I'm sorry I don't have any sugar. Well, they think of everything, don't they? (feeds lumps to the horse)

VINA: Is it good to be home?

PIKE: They read our minds very well. Home, anything else I want if I co-operate, is that it?

VINA: My, it turned out to be a lovely day, didn't it? You're home. You can even stay if you want.

PIKE: But we're not here, neither of us. We're in a menagerie, a cage!

VINA: No.

PIKE; I can't help either one of us if you won't give me a chance. Now, you told me once they used illusions as a narcotic. They couldn't repair the machines left by their ancestors. Is that why they want us, to build a colony of slaves?

VINA: Stop it. Don't you care what they'll do to us?

PIKE: Back in my cage, it seemed for a couple of minutes that our keeper couldn't read my thoughts. Do emotions like hate, keeping hate in your mind, does that block off our mind from them?

VINA: Yes. They can't read through primitive emotions, but you can't keep it up for long enough. I've tried. They keep at you and at you year after year, tricking and punishing, and they won. They own me.










http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/16b.htm

The Menagerie, part 2

Stardate:3012.4

Original Airdate: Nov 24, 1966


VINA: Yes. They can't read through primitive emotions, but you can't keep it up for long enough. I've tried. They keep at you and at you year after year, tricking and punishing, and they won. They own me. I know you must hate me for that.

PIKE: Oh, no. I don't hate you. I can guess what it was like.

VINA: But that's not enough. Don't you see? They read my thoughts, my feelings, my dreams of what would be a perfect man. That's why they picked you. I can't help but love you and they expect you to feel the same way.

PIKE: If they can read my mind, then they know I'm attracted to you. I was from the very first moment I saw you in the survivor's camp. You were like a wild little animal.

VINA; I'm beginning to see why none of this has worked for you. You've been home, and fighting as on Rigel. That's not new to you, either. A person's strongest dreams are about what he can't do. Yes, a ship's captain, always having to be so formal, so decent and honest and proper. You must wonder what it would be like to forget all that.





- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 04:41 AM Pacific Time USA Tuesday 24 July 2012