Friday, March 01, 2013

To Build a Fire




I read through this stuff and I think constantly about how I could be reading my influence as a time-traveler. I have thought constantly about how I would be in contact with Ronald Reagan when I begin traveling backwards in time and that I was appearing at certain points of time back then.

So I think about the stuff I must be saying back then, back then in a time that has not happened for me yet.

This is the time when the influence I will have is being formed. I am reading all this stuff and it is a paradox.

And as I have written many times there is the matter of the variables.

So I wonder what I am saying precisely back then in the past which is still my future.

I think about how in July 1989 in my natural-time existence I was 23 years old.

Also, remember that the Soviets knew about me since the 1940s at least. I wrote about how I think I appeared inside the Soviet Union simply to give them a human body to dissect and study and then I time-traveled away to rematerialize in a time period before that.

Also, they knew about my sister-in-law in 1986 from the secrets they stole from her and she was still trying to come to terms with what had happened to her in 1986 and she was aware of me before I was aware of her and I became aware of her in 1989 but time had no meaning at that point.





http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=34480

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session With Reporters on Meetings in Moscow Between Secretary of State Shultz and Soviet Leaders

Remarks at the Presentation Ceremony for the National Medals of Science and Technology

June 25, 1987

Thank you very much, and welcome to the White House. One of the pleasures of this job is being able to meet individuals who are contributing to our country and, yes, bettering all of mankind as well. And that is, of course, the ultimate goal of technology and science: a quest for bettering the human condition. So, today it's a great pleasure for me to honor some champions of progress, some American heroes of technology and science.

One of the advantages of being my age-and believe me my birthday cake is beginning to look more like a celestial phenomenon every year— [laughter] —is that it provides a perspective that can't help but lead one to be optimistic about the future of our country and the direction of the human race. I've already lived some 23 years longer than was projected when I was born. That's a source of consternation in certain circles. [Laughter] But I'm still here, as are other people










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: http://hvom.blogspot.com/2012/07/time-traveler-effect-variables.html - posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 7:52 PM Pacific Time USA Sunday 15 July 2012


My knowledge today + (My knowledge until EVENT time travel) = (My knowledge after EVENT time travel) + My knowledge gained post-event


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 15 July 2012 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Journal June 12, 2006, Supplemental

There must be some reason to these thoughts I was having awhile back about the opening scenes to the upcoming movie HALO. I was thinking of how the story goes behind the military person that inspired Master Chief. It begins with the real MCPO arriving at his post on some planet. It is an isolated post in some kind of wasteland, desert, mountainous region. He arrives, talks with a few people, walks around. The structure is some kind of pre-fab building with a lot of walkways and observation positions, a lot of defensive positions. You can hear the clanking of deckplates and gratings as people walk around. MCPO finds a place to sit down his gear and look out over the land. He places a photo of an attractive blond woman, a weather forecaster, on a ledge in front of him and wistfully remembers better times. After awhile, he is sent on some kind of recon mission


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 12 June 2006 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: Saturday, September 03, 2005 7:30 PM


Chechaquo

This is an excerpt from To Build A Fire that made an impression with me early on and has felt especially relevant for the past few years:

But all this--the mysterious, far-reaching hairline trail, the absence of sun from the sky, the tremendous cold, and the strangeness and weirdness of it all--made no impression on the man. It was not because he was long used to it. He was a new-comer in the land, a chechaquo, and this was his first winter. The trouble with him was that he was without imagination. He was quick and alert in the things of life, but only in the things, and not in the significances. Fifty degrees below zero meant eighty odd degrees of frost. Such fact impressed him as being cold and uncomfortable, and that was all. It did not lead him to meditate upon his frailty as a creature of temperature, and upon man's frailty in general, able only to live within certain narrow limits of heat and cold; and from there on it did not lead him to the conjectural field of immortality and man's place in the universe. Fifty degrees below zero stood for a bite of frost that hurt and that must be guarded against by the use of mittens, ear-flaps, warm moccasins, and thick socks. Fifty degrees below zero was to him just precisely fifty degrees below zero. That there should be anything more to it than that was a thought that never entered his head.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 3 September 2005 excerpt ends]





http://www.online-literature.com/london/101

THE LITERATURE NETWORK


Literature Network » Jack London » To Build a Fire

To Build a Fire










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=34480

The American Presidency Project

Ronald Reagan

XL President of the United States: 1981 - 1989

Remarks and a Question-and-Answer Session With Reporters on Meetings in Moscow Between Secretary of State Shultz and Soviet Leaders

Remarks at the Presentation Ceremony for the National Medals of Science and Technology

June 25, 1987

Thank you very much, and welcome to the White House. One of the pleasures of this job is being able to meet individuals who are contributing to our country and, yes, bettering all of mankind as well. And that is, of course, the ultimate goal of technology and science: a quest for bettering the human condition. So, today it's a great pleasure for me to honor some champions of progress, some American heroes of technology and science.

One of the advantages of being my age-and believe me my birthday cake is beginning to look more like a celestial phenomenon every year— [laughter] —is that it provides a perspective that can't help but lead one to be optimistic about the future of our country and the direction of the human race. I've already lived some 23 years longer than was projected when I was born. That's a source of consternation in certain circles. [Laughter] But I'm still here, as are other people, because during the intervening years, men and women of science have made enormous strides combating diseases, bolstering health, lengthening the life span, and improving the quality of living.

I remember when I was in high school we were still being taught about the predictions of a 19th century economist named Malthus who calculated that by now mankind would be suffering catastrophic shortages of food and the necessities of life. Over the last 200 years there've been a number of experts like him who've made their reputation, earned a living, forecasting planetary gloom and doom. Well, the people we honor today are among those who make their living seeing to it that those dire predictions will never come true. You see, what the pessimists rarely take into account is the potential of human intelligence and ingenuity to overcome problems. The most vital factor in maintaining man's environment and ensuring that the needs of the Earth's population are taken care of is human freedom. It's freedom that energizes the creative spirit of mankind to meet the immense challenges of our modern age. If you believe in freedom and see what the people have accomplished in just one lifetime you can't help but be optimistic.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 10:44 PM Pacific Time Seattle USA Friday 01 March 2013