Saturday, August 11, 2012

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)




Well, that makes a lot of sense writing this section now after watching the good doctor go through the scene at the gasoline station.

I am now just running with this. Time-traveler effect be damned.

Remember what I said before.

They watch our television too.

Just because you have seen it on television doesn't mean it can't happen in the real world.

Conversely, contradictorily, contrarily, I am the time-traveler. I am pissed off and I am time-traveling.

I am annoyed as hell and I am traveling backwards through time and I know what happens in the 1980s and then I go backwards again and I already know what happens in the 1970s and then I am still going backwards through time periods and I already know what happens in the 1950s.

I go through all those time periods and those time periods to me - my journey through those time periods only lasts for a very short period of time. If I was wearing a wristwatch when I start time-traveling backwards and that wristwatch has a feature to measure elapsed time then that feature to measure elapsed time on my wristwatch could possibly register only 1 minute elapsed time between the time periods of 11:58 AM Eastern Time 31 December 1981 and 11:57 AM Pacific Time 5 June 1978.





I have definitely not watched that film in a very long time. I have probably seen, in the past decade, certain images of certain scenes from that film and seeing only those certain images reinforced the belief that I have seen that film. I feel certain I have seen it before but much of it now, watching it on DVD today, is not really that familiar.





So anyway, after watching a few more minutes of the DVD I remember now why I paused to add all the content above and especially this part. Well, I didn't stop to write the information above but I actually forgot why I paused the video.

Until now. I was thinking that my dreams are what keeps me from succumbing to "whatever it is."

Now I remember that is why I wrote that part about how they watch our television too. So, the notion suddenly dawns of me from what I recently referenced from that racketeering production the 2005 film "The Skeleton Key" I had the sudden sense of certainty "And if you thought, you know, that magic made you sick... you might believe in a magic cure?"





I waited until watching all the video to make my observations about "Becky." I think she was a spy. I think she had, in the context of the film plot line, fallen asleep a lot earlier than the good doctor understood. Real people with real propaganda objectives created that film that was culturally significant to the population of the United States. Even in the year 1988 a good friend of mine, after we returned from the Persian Gulf, was going on about how I must have been changed by a "pod" in the classic sense of that film from the year 1956. I remember well the year 1988 and I remember well a print I had hanging on the wall of my private space that was my bedroom in an apartment I shared off-base and I referred to that print, because of it setting, as "I've Been Through The Desert On a Horse With No Name," which was a reference to that song from that band named America.

And there is the fact in that 1956 film that the people working with the "pods" were the ones listening to the music. Only the 1978 version, which I haven't watched in a while but that I have watched at least two times in the past several years, describes how that was a method to lure in the regular people, or so I recall. And if you watch the scene in that dark cave in that 1956 film after he comes back then you might recall about how people would suddenly think that something was different about a person and you might remember also the good doctor's dialog about how subtle it all was.

I find familiar that she has been converted and I feel I had seen that before and I also think about how that plot element was present in the 1978 version.

She hadn't been converted in those moments before he kissed her, I am thinking tonight after watching those scenes on the DVD. I am thinking she had simply decided in those earlier moments to stop deceiving him.










http://www.startrek.com/watch_episode/UhOVnXO2Bb3tyBz4yrRYpRlyI6wWCBoN

STAR TREK


Videos Star Trek: The Original Series - The City on the Edge of Forever


The City on the Edge of Forever

Star Trek: The Original Series

Season 1 Ep. 28

Full Episode (50:43)

00:20:30


James T. Kirk: Excuse me, miss. Where are we?

Edith Keeler: You're in the 21st Street Mission.

James T. Kirk: Do you run this place?

Edith Keeler: Indeed I do, Mr. Kirk.

James T. Kirk: [ to Spock: ] Radio tubes. So on. I approve of hobby, Mr. Spock.

Edith Keeler: [ to group: ] Good evening. [ steps onto elevated stage ]

Homeless bum: You'll be sorry.

James T. Kirk: Why?

Homeless bum: You expect to eat for free or something? You gotta listen. To goody two shoes.

Edith Keeler: And now as I'm sure that somebody out there has said, it's time to pay for the soup.

Homeless bum: [ to James T. Kirk: ] Not that she's a bad looking broad but, uh, if she really wanted to help out a fella in need -

James T. Kirk: Shut up. Shut up. [ to Spock: ] I want to hear what she has to say.










1956 film "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" DVD video:

01:11:11


Becky Driscoll: Miles, I can't stay awake much longer.

Dr. Miles J. Bennell: I think they're all gone now. We'd better start, or we'll never make it to the highway.

[ sound of music in the distance ]

Becky Driscoll: Miles, I've never heard anything so beautiful. It means we're not the only ones left to know what love is.

Dr. Miles J. Bennell: Stay here, and pray they're as human as they sound.










http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0006652/quotes

IMDb


Quotes for

Ben Driscoll (Character)

from The Invasion (2007) [ RACKETEER INFLUENCED AND CORRUPT ORGANIZATIONS US Title 18 ]


Ben: We gonna do whatever it takes to get through this!










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064757/quotes

IMDb


Memorable quotes for

On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)


[last lines]

James Bond: [Tracy has just been shot and killed] It's all right. It's quite all right, really. She's having a rest. We'll be going on soon. There's no hurry, you see. We have all the time in the world.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049366/quotes

IMDb


Memorable quotes for

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)


[last lines]

Dr. Hill: Get on your radios and sound an all points alarm. Block all highways, stop all traffic, and call every law enforcement agency in the state.

[on phone]

Dr. Hill: Operator, get me the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Yes, it's an emergency!





- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 8:59 PM Pacific Time USA Saturday 11 August 2012