Friday, February 14, 2014

NEC 1189




http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/28.htm

The City on the Edge of Forever

Stardate: 3134.0

Original Airdate: Apr 6, 1967


UHURA: Landing party to Enterprise. No sign of Doctor McCoy. Search progressing.

(And he pops up from behind a rock after she and her security guard have passed by.)

SPOCK: Incredible power. It can't be a machine as we understand mechanics.

KIRK: Then what is it?

GUARDIAN: (The doughnut pulses bright in time with the words) A question. Since before your sun burned hot in space and before your race was born, I have awaited a question.

KIRK: What are you?

GUARDIAN: I am the Guardian of Forever.

KIRK: Are you machine or being?

GUARDIAN: I am both and neither. I am my own beginning, my own ending.

SPOCK: I see no reason for answers to be couched in riddles.

GUARDIAN: I answer as simply as your level of understanding makes possible.

SPOCK: A time portal, Captain. A gateway to other times and dimensions, if I'm correct.

GUARDIAN: As correct as possible for you. Your science knowledge is obviously primitive.










http://www.ieeeghn.org/wiki/index.php/First-Hand:The_First_Commercial_Computer_Application_at_General_Electric

IEEE

IEEE Global History Network

First-Hand:The First Commercial Computer Application at General Electric


The First Commercial Computer Application at General Electric

By: Burton Grad, December 2006


In 1954 the Univac I had the following hardware capabilities: reasonably high calculation speed (for the time), internal memory (a mercury delay line), external tape drives (with metal tapes), printers, card readers and a control console. It had the following programming and data management facilities: none.

Programs were written directly in machine language with an operations instruction code (A for add, S for subtract, etc.) and an address (xxx) which was the actual word address in memory on which the operation was to be performed. The mnemonic instruction codes were pretty good, but the one instruction address at a time made for lengthy programs with many individual steps (adding a number to an internal register; multiplying a number by the number in the register and putting the results in that register; taking the value of the register and it putting into an address for later use). It required three instructions just to multiply one number by another.










http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/28.htm

The City on the Edge of Forever

Stardate: 3134.0

Original Airdate: Apr 6, 1967


SPOCK: I was recording images at the time McCoy left. A rather barbaric period in your American history. I believe I can approximate just when to jump. Perhaps within a month of the correct time. A week, if we're fortunate.

KIRK: Make sure we arrive before McCoy got there. It's vital we stop him before he does whatever it was that changed all history. Guardian, if we are successful

GUARDIAN: Then you will be returned. It will be as though none of you had gone.

UHURA: Captain, it seems impossible. Even if you were able to find the right date

























https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.740115,-94.144163&spn=0.000036,0.033023&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=33.740108,-94.148433&panoid=SJ0m51x4JgLW3J7qHyglCQ&cbp=12,356.77,,0,1.27

Google Maps


Texarkana Avenue, Wilton, Arkansas, United States










http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/28.htm

The City on the Edge of Forever

Stardate: 3134.0

Original Airdate: Apr 6, 1967


MCCOY: The most common question to ask would be, where am I? I don't think I'll ask it.

EDITH: Why not?

MCCOY: The only possible answer would conclusively prove that I'm either unconscious or demented. This looks like old Earth around 1920 or 25.

EDITH: Would you care to try for 30?

MCCOY: I am unconscious, or demented.

EDITH: I have a friend that talks about Earth the same way that you do. Would you like to meet him?

MCCOY: I'm a surgeon, not a psychiatrist. I am Leonard McCoy, Senior Medical Officer aboard the USS Enterprise.

EDITH: I don't mean to disbelieve you, but that's hardly a Navy uniform.






































View Larger Map



https://maps.google.com/?ll=33.741096,-94.144163&spn=0.000036,0.033023&t=h&layer=c&cbll=33.740972,-94.148257&panoid=KoLF1Hai3QBATBQkLZ37Xg&cbp=12,206.21,,0,3.63&z=16

Google Maps


Main Street, Wilton, Arkansas, United States










http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/28.htm

The City on the Edge of Forever

Stardate: 3134.0

Original Airdate: Apr 6, 1967


SPOCK: Captain, I must have some platinum. A small block would be sufficient, five or six pounds. By passing certain circuits through there to be used as a duodynetic field core.

KIRK: Mister Spock, I've brought you some assorted vegetables, baloney in a hard rolls for myself, and I've spent the other nine tenths of our combined salaries for the last three days on filling this order for you. Mister Spock, this bag doesn't contain platinum, silver or gold, nor is it likely to in the near future.

SPOCK: Captain, you're asking me to work with equipment which hardly very far ahead of stone knives and bearskins.

KIRK: McCoy will be along in a few days, perhaps sooner. There's no guarantee that these currents in time will bring us together. This has to work.

SPOCK: Captain. Captain, in three weeks at this rate, possibly a month, I might reach the first mnemonic memory circuits.

(There's a knock at the door.)

KIRK: Your hat.

EDITH: If you can leave immediately, I can get you five hours work at twenty two cents an hour. What? What on Earth is that?

SPOCK: I am endeavouring, ma'am, to construct a mnemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins.



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 01:03 AM Pacific Time somewhere near Seattle Washington USA Friday 14 February 2014