Wednesday, July 09, 2014

C.I.A.




https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2007-featured-story-archive/the-genesis-of-central-intelligence.html

CENTRAL INTELLIGENCE AGENCY

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA


The Genesis of Central Intelligence

For more than 230 years, the United States has carried on foreign intelligence activities. Before World War II, however, these activities were never coordinated on a government-wide basis.

With the United States’ entry into World War II seemingly inevitable, President Franklin D. Roosevelt created the Office of the Coordinator of Information (COI). Established in July 1941, the COI was the first peacetime, civilian intelligence agency. America's entry into World War II in December of that year prompted new thinking about the place and role of the COI.

OSS – The Beginning

As a result, the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) was established in June 1942. The OSS–the forerunner to the CIA–had a mandate to collect and analyze strategic information required by the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Members of the OSS also conducted special operations not assigned to other agencies.

During the war, the OSS supplied policymakers with essential facts and often played an important role in directly aiding military campaigns. However, the OSS never received complete jurisdiction over all foreign intelligence activities. The FBI was officially responsible for intelligence work in Latin America when its Secret Intelligence Service was established in June 1940. Military branches also conducted intelligence operations in their areas of responsibility.

President Harry S. Truman, who succeeded FDR in April 1945, felt no obligation to retain OSS after the war. The OSS was officially abolished in October 1945. However, the OSS's analytic, collection, and counterintelligence functions were transferred on a smaller scale to the State and War departments.

The Establishment of CIG

President Truman soon recognized the need for a centralized intelligence system. He established the Central Intelligence Group (CIG) in January 1946. The CIG had two missions: providing strategic warning and conducting clandestine activities. Unlike the OSS, it had access to all-source intelligence.

The CIG functioned under the direction of a National Intelligence Authority, which was composed of a presidential representative and the secretaries of State, War and Navy. The Deputy Chief of Naval Intelligence, Rear Admiral Sidney W. Souers, USNR, was appointed the first Director of Central Intelligence. Twenty months later, the National Intelligence Authority and the CIG were disestablished.

National Security Act of 1947: The Creation of CIA

The National Security Council (NSC) and the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) were created under the provisions of the National Security Act of 1947, which President Truman signed on July 26, 1947. The CIA came into existence on Sept. 18.










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=50539

The American Presidency Project

William J. Clinton

XLII President of the United States: 1993 - 2001

Exchange With Reporters in Hot Springs, Arkansas

July 23, 1994

High School Vietnam Memorial

Q. [Inaudible]

The President. Yes, very proud. And I'm grateful to all the people who worked on it and made it possible. I'm glad some of my closest friends could be here on the day it was unveiled and dedicated. I'm grateful to them, all the people who did all this work. You know it really means a lot to me because I haven't been able to be here or be a part of it. So I'm really happy about it.

The Presidency

Q. Do you wish you could just be here for a long period of time?

The President. Absolutely. I get very homesick, homesick for my friends and for the place and also for the ability to communicate directly with people. You know, it's very frustrating. It's hard to avoid being isolated, and it's hard to avoid just kind of a distance and almost a miscommunication from the nature of the Presidency, where so many things are happening at once and so many things are cascading in on people and so much information is flying back and forth and occasionally misinformation.










From 9/18/1947 ( the United States Central Intelligence Agency formed ) To 6/7/1976 ( my biological brother Thomas Reagan the civilian and privately financed astronaut in deep space of the solar system in his privately financed atom-pulse propulsion spaceship this day was his first landing the Saturn moon Phoebe and the Saturn moon Phoebe territory belongs to my brother Thomas Reagan ) is 10490 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/23/1994 is 10490 days



From 7/16/1963 ( Phoebe Cates the medical doctor and the world-famous actress and the wife of my biological brother Thomas Reagan ) To 7/23/1994 is 11330 days

11330 = 5665 + 5665

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 5/7/1981 ( Ronald Reagan - Remarks at the Welcoming Ceremony for Prime Minister Zenko Suzuki of Japan ) is 5665 days



From 3/3/1959 ( the birthdate in Hawaii of my biological brother Thomas Reagan ) To 11/21/1987 ( premiere US TV series episode "Mr. President"::"The President's Brother" ) is 10490 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/23/1994 is 10490 days



From 3/16/1991 ( my first successful major test of my ultraspace matter transportation device as Kerry Wayne Burgess the successful Ph.D. graduate Columbia South Carolina ) To 7/23/1994 is 1225 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/11/1969 ( premiere US TV series pilot "The Bold Ones: The Lawyers"::"The Whole World Is Watching" ) is 1225 days



From 11/12/1951 ( premiere US film "Purple Heart Diary" ) To 8/1/1980 ( premiere US film "The Final Countdown" ) is 10490 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/23/1994 is 10490 days



From 5/1/1964 ( premiere US TV series episode "The Twilight Zone"::"The Encounter" ) To 1/19/1993 ( in Asheville North Carolina as Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess I was seriously wounded by gunfire when I returned fatal gunfire to a fugitive from United States federal justice ) is 10490 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 7/23/1994 is 10490 days





http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=50540

The American Presidency Project

William J. Clinton

XLII President of the United States: 1993 - 2001

Exchange With Reporters in Hot Springs

July 23, 1994

President's High School Reunion

Q. What are your thoughts as you return to the State, Mr. President?

The President. I'm very happy to be—I'm gratified that I can be here. So many of my classmates and I have survived these last 30 years in reasonably good shape. We're here together; we're having a wonderful time. We just did a lot of reminiscing. I got to go through the high school and see some of the wonderful new things that are being done at the technology center here. But mostly it's just a time for getting together with family and friends.

Q. What did you do inside at the ceremony?

The President. We listened to one of our classmates who is a minister compare our class to a family and talk about family reunions and what family values are really about, about our shared stories and experiences. It was a wonderful thing. We remembered the classmates that we had who are no longer with us. And we sang a lot of old songs.

Q. Mr. President—spotlight on your reunion this year—[inaudible]

The President. Well, I hope most of them don't mind, you know. I just want them all to have a good time and be relaxed and have a wonderful time. It's really been, I think, a good thing for all of us. I've never missed any of my reunions. When I was Governor we always had a gathering on Saturday night, and then Sunday afternoon after church I would have everybody over at the Governor's mansion. So they may be regretting that I'm not Governor so we can't go to the Governor's mansion.

Q. What are you going to be doing the rest of the weekend, Mr. President?

The President. I'm just going to be here with my family and friends. And you know, tonight we have an event, and tomorrow I'm not sure. I have to go back a little earlier than I wanted because on Monday we're having Prime Minister Rabin and King Hussein at the White House. It's a very big day——

Q. Mr. President, what's your fondest memory of high school?

The President. All my friends, no question about it. We had a—you know, it was a different time, I think, although I think kids today are trying to get back to it. We were basically a close class, and we believed in our country, and we believed in our future, and we were kind of, I think, rosy in our outlook, not necessarily unrealistic. And my memories of those days are deeply personal, almost like family; just like the minister said today, it's almost like a family.

Q. Mr. President, what kind of person were you in high school? Were you a jock, a—[inaudible]—or a nerd?

The President. Well, I wasn't a jock. I was probably—a lot of people probably would have said I was a nerd. But I liked my friends, I liked music, I liked the activities, but I liked to study, too. I had a normal childhood.

Whitewater Hearings

Q. Mr. President, I know it's a weekend of reflection for you, but Whitewater hearings are getting ready to come up. What concerns do you have there, because there's a lot of people in Arkansas that are paying close attention to it?

The President. Well, I think they should know that we'll do just what we've been doing all along. What I said is that we've been fully cooperative, and we will be. And the only thing I ask of the Congress, the only thing I've ever asked of them, is not to let any of this stuff interfere with the business of the people.

We're up there to do the people's business, and we've turned this economy around, we've got the deficit cut in half, we've got 3 years of deficit reduction for the first time since Truman because we're working on those things. We've got unprecedented expansion of trade and new training opportunities.

So now, we've got to face our challenges. We've got a crime bill to pass, we've got a big trade bill to pass, and we've got a health care reform, an issue that's been on the floor of the Congress in both Houses, for the first time in the history of America we've ever considered it. So we've got big work to do, and my only concern is let's just keep putting the people of this country first. And I'll be cooperative; we'll see what happens.

Health Care Reform

Q. Are you confident with the health care compromise?

The President. Well, we're working on it, you know. It's no accident that seven Presidents of both parties in 60 years have not been able to figure out how to cover all Americans. But it's important to know that Hawaii has—and in Hawaii small businesses pay 30 percent lower rates, and they cover everybody. So we can do it. We can do it, and I think we will.

Rwanda

Q. [Inaudible]

The President. Well, let us just say one word about that. I think, at the moment, rather than characterize that effort I would say that there are a lot of countries who wish to participate in a Rwanda peacekeeping force who may not have the capacity to do so. And one of the things that we, those of us with a lot of capacity, need to examine is whether there's something— this is over the long run—whether there's something we can do to help countries who want to give men and women to these kinds of projects have the training, have the support, have the things they need.

I think the whole world is now focused on Rwanda; I think the hearts of the world are with these people who have suffered. I think that we're moving very quickly to try to save lives from the cholera outbreak, and I think we'll have progress there. I think that a lot of these African countries will do the very best they can. And if they're trying to do something that they can't do, then the rest of us need to help them develop the capacity to do it.

NOTE: The exchange began at 1:59 p.m. at Hot Springs High School.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734637/quotes

IMDb


Twilight Zone (TV Series)

The Encounter (1964)

Quotes


Taro: I grew up in Honolulu. I was at Pearl Harbor when it was bombed.

Fenton: Were you one of the pilots?










http://www.tv.com/shows/mr-president/the-presidents-brother-1311895/

tv.com


Mr. President Season 2 Episode 9

The President's Brother

Aired Saturday 8:00 PM Nov 21, 1987 on FOX

AIRED: 11/21/87










http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=50539

The American Presidency Project

William J. Clinton

XLII President of the United States: 1993 - 2001

Exchange With Reporters in Hot Springs, Arkansas

July 23, 1994


Q. What about Hillary? Is she with you this weekend?

The President. No, because she's out pushing health care.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 08/19/08 08/19/08 4:09 AM

Every time I look at this photo of the Saturn moon Phoebe I always tend to linger on that location marked Euphemus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Phoebe_2005_Mercator_PIA07795.jpg

Image:Phoebe 2005 Mercator PIA07795.jpg



I am not certain if that is where I landed or if it is just an area of high interest to me.

As I was waking up a few minutes ago, my waking or half-sleeping mind was pondering the landing cycle I made on 6/7/1976 and I was thinking of such details as the burn I made in my landing craft after I separated from the Orion ship. The Orion ship proceeded for some kind of orbital rendevous with the planet Saturn and I broke away from the intertia of the Orion ship so I could plunge into the gravity of the moon Phoebe. I made a long burn about 1 hour before landing and then I rotated around to view the approach and then made some minor thruster burns before the final approach. The sunrise cycle on the moon Phoebe is about 9 hours and I landed about 6 hours before the next sunrise. I took a nap on a special kind of couch I had in that landing craft and then I woke up about 3 hours later and began suiting up for EVA which was more difficult because my right arm was still barely usable. I awoke today thinking I was in very good spirits though. I went outside to watch the sunrise and to survey the terrain and I had a camera set to first capture my egress to the surface for the first time and then to record me watching the sunrise. I spoke to myself about how I had been anticipating that moment watching the sun rise over the horizon of the Saturn moon Phoebe back in November 1975 as Phoebe and I watched the sun rise that morning before I left Earth. I also commented to the camera that the surface of the Saturn moon Phoebe was probably the spookiest place I had ever been and I had been to 3 other spooky places before in my life.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 19 August 2008 excerpt ends]



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 8:03 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Wednesday 09 July 2014