Monday, August 25, 2014

Groff Conklin




JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 3:44 PM

To: Kerry Burgess

Subject: Re: pretense


Kerry Burgess wrote:
After I got out of the VA last summer, the social worker found a place for me to stay at some kind of retirement home. Most of the people there were elderly but the facility provided service to homeless as well. I was feeling very frustrated because the washing machines were coin operated. I had something like 5 dollars maybe and I had to put a lot of thought into stretching that out as long as possible. I only had like one change of clothes and I was calculating how long I could wear the same clothes without getting too smelly. I also didn't even have any soap to use for a shower. So shortly after I got there, I walked down to a nearby supermarket. I went in to check the prices of soap and laundry detergent to see if I could afford anything. I forget the muzak that started playing after I entered, but I remember thinking, as I had noticed many times before in other places, that it seemed relevant. Something like they knew I had no money so why am I in there. As I was leaving, indeed being able to afford nothing, I walked through the doors and there were a couple kids standing nearby against the building. I didn't see any adults around them. Something about their demeanor caught my attention too. I then noticed a woman sitting casually in a car, maybe a minivn, in front me, staring at me intently. I seem to recall there was something hanging from the rearview mirror, one of those gay symbols, some kind of rainbow kind of symbol. I remembered it from a manager I had a long time who put one of those symbols on the company van. He mentioned that he took it off when the van was being serviced because he was afraid the mechanics would damage the van because he was gay. Anyway, I don't think that incident was a coincidence. Were they taking pictures of me as I walked past those kids standing there alone?


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 24 March 2006 excerpt ends]










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Friday, March 24, 2006 3:44 PM

To: Kerry Burgess

Subject: Re: pretense


Kerry Burgess wrote:
I am also growing suspicious of people that encourage me to do stuff. Especially if they do it nicely. That makes me even more suspicious. And so now I expect people to start acting like jerks to make me think they aren't trying to manipulate but that is just going to make me agitated.

I am also not going to seek any more mental health treatment until this ends. I refuse to let them torment me and try to rationalize that I can get brain bandaids for the injuries they are inflicting on me. The problem of course is that I won't get to go back to the less agitating environment of the Veteran's Center. And I will probably get kicked out of here to the streets. But screw it. And screw you and the wiretap you rode in on.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 24 March 2006 excerpt ends]










http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/35/pg35.html


Project Gutenberg's The Time Machine, by H. G. (Herbert George) Wells


Title: The Time Machine

Author: H. G. (Herbert George) Wells


'I cannot tell you all the story of that long afternoon. It would require a great effort of memory to recall my explorations in at all the proper order. I remember a long gallery of rusting stands of arms, and how I hesitated between my crowbar and a hatchet or a sword. I could not carry both, however, and my bar of iron promised best against the bronze gates. There were numbers of guns, pistols, and rifles. The most were masses of rust, but many were of some new metal, and still fairly sound. But any cartridges or powder there may once have been had rotted into dust. One corner I saw was charred and shattered; perhaps, I thought, by an explosion among the specimens. In another place was a vast array of idols—Polynesian, Mexican, Grecian, Phoenician, every country on earth I should think. And here, yielding to an irresistible impulse, I wrote my name upon the nose of a steatite monster from South America that particularly took my fancy.

'As the evening drew on, my interest waned. I went through gallery after gallery, dusty, silent, often ruinous, the exhibits sometimes mere heaps of rust and lignite, sometimes fresher. In one place I suddenly found myself near the model of a tin-mine, and then by the merest accident I discovered, in an air-tight case, two dynamite cartridges! I shouted "Eureka!" and smashed the case with joy. Then came a doubt. I hesitated. Then, selecting a little side gallery, I made my essay. I never felt such a disappointment as I did in waiting five, ten, fifteen minutes for an explosion that never came. Of course the things were dummies, as I might have guessed from their presence. I really believe that had they not been so, I should have rushed off incontinently and blown Sphinx, bronze doors, and (as it proved) my chances of finding the Time Machine, all together into non-existence.

'It was after that, I think, that we came to a little open court within the palace. It was turfed, and had three fruit-trees. So we rested and refreshed ourselves. Towards sunset I began to consider our position. Night was creeping upon us, and my inaccessible hiding-place had still to be found. But that troubled me very little now. I had in my possession a thing that was, perhaps, the best of all defences against the Morlocks—I had matches! I had the camphor in my pocket, too, if a blaze were needed. It seemed to me that the best thing we could do would be to pass the night in the open, protected by a fire. In the morning there was the getting of the Time Machine. Towards that, as yet, I had only my iron mace. But now, with my growing knowledge, I felt very differently towards those bronze doors. Up to this, I had refrained from forcing them, largely because of the mystery on the other side. They had never impressed me as being very strong, and I hoped to find my bar of iron not altogether inadequate for the work.

IX

'We emerged from the palace while the sun was still in part above the horizon. I was determined to reach the White Sphinx early the next morning, and ere the dusk I purposed pushing through the woods that had stopped me on the previous journey. My plan was to go as far as possible that night, and then, building a fire, to sleep in the protection of its glare. Accordingly, as we went along I gathered any sticks or dried grass I saw, and presently had my arms full of such litter. Thus loaded, our progress was slower than I had anticipated, and besides Weena was tired. And I began to suffer from sleepiness too; so that it was full night before we reached the wood. Upon the shrubby hill of its edge Weena would have stopped, fearing the darkness before us; but a singular sense of impending calamity, that should indeed have served me as a warning, drove me onward. I had been without sleep for a night and two days, and I was feverish and irritable. I felt sleep coming upon me, and the Morlocks with it.










From 4/21/1926 ( my biological paternal grandmother Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II ) To 2/11/1975 is 17828 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/25/2014 is 17828 days










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_1975


February 1975

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The following events occurred in February, 1975:


February 11, 1975 (Tuesday)

Conservative Party (UK) leadership election, 1975: Margaret Thatcher was elected as the new leader of the United Kingdom's Conservative Party, becoming the first woman to lead a major British political party and the first female Leader of Her Majesty's Opposition. Thatcher received 146 votes of the 276 Conservative members of the House of Commons, a majority, and her closest rival, William Whitelaw, received 79. When the Conservatives formed a government in 1979, Mrs. Thatcher, a research chemist and tax lawyer, became the first female British Prime Minister.


February 13, 1975 (Thursday)

An intense fire broke out on the 11th floor of the North Tower of the World Trade Center shortly after midnight, then spread across six floors, from the 9th to the 14th, before being brought under control. There were no serious injuries, but 16 firemen were treated for smoke inhalation. Only fifty people, all maintenance employees, were present in the towers and were safely evacuated. New York City Councilmen Howard Golden and Stephen Kaufman, citing the need for mandatory installation of sprinkler systems, wrote in a joint statement, "Had that fire erupted during the working day, we could have had another Triangle Shirtwaist disaster."


February 16, 1975 (Sunday)

HMS Sheffield, a guided missile destroyer, was commissioned into service in the British Royal Navy. The ship would be sunk by the Argentine Navy in May 1982 during the Falklands War, with a loss of 20 lives.


February 21, 1975 (Friday)

Watergate scandal: Former U.S. Attorney General John N. Mitchell, former Chief of Staff H. R. Haldeman and, former presidential adviser John Ehrlichman were each sentenced to a minimum of 2 1/2 years, and up to 8 years, in prison by U.S. District Judge John J. Sirica. All three had been convicted in January of obstruction of justice charges in connection with the Watergate scandal. Mitchell joked with reporters about his famous wife, from whom he was separated, saying, "It could have been a hell of a lot worse. He could have sentenced me to spend the rest of my life with Martha Mitchell."

Born: Affirmed, American thoroughbred racehorse and the last horse to have won the American "triple crown" of horse racing; near Ocala, Florida (d. 2001)


February 26, 1975 (Wednesday)

Gerald Ford became the first incumbent U.S. President to play in a PGA golf tournament, as an amateur in a pro-am event, the Jackie Gleason-Inverrary Classic. A crowd of 41,720 (largest for a single day on a PGA Tour event) watched as the President shot 100 on 18 holes, in partnership with Jack Nicklaus, Jackie Gleason, Bob Hope and New York businessman Elliot Kahn.


February 27, 1975 (Thursday)

NSC-68, the document of the National Security Council that had guided U.S. policy against the Soviet Union beginning in April 1950, was declassified by the U.S. Department of State after almost 25 years.










From 4/21/1926 ( my biological paternal grandmother Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II ) To 1/21/1976 ( my biological brother Thomas Reagan the civilian and privately financed astronaut bound for deep space in his privately financed atom-pulse propulsion spaceship this day was his first landing the planet Mars and his documented and lawful exclusive claim to the territory of the planet Mars ) is 18172 days

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 8/4/2015 is 18172 days










From 8/25/2014 to 8/4/2015 is 344 days










From 8/3/1998 ( Tom Clancy "Rainbow Six" ) To 5/16/2015 is 6130 days

From 11/2/1965 To 8/15/1982 is 6130 days










http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/1955/theorell-facts.html

Nobelprize.org

The Official Web Site of the Nobel Prize


The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1955

Hugo Theorell


Axel Hugo Theodor Theorell

Born: 6 July 1903, Linköping, Sweden

Died: 15 August 1982, Stockholm, Sweden

Affiliation at the time of the award: Karolinska Institutet, Nobel Medical Institute, Stockholm, Sweden

Prize motivation: "for his discoveries concerning the nature and mode of action of oxidation enzymes"

Field: biochemistry










http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/medicine/laureates/1955/theorell-article.html

Nobelprize.org

The Official Web Site of the Nobel Prize


The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 1955

Hugo Theorell


Hugo Theorell, My Father

by Henning Theorell


At the celebration of the 150th Anniversary of the Swedish Medical Society in 1958, Hugo as its chairman gave the jubilee lecture, entitled Berzelius och livskraften (Berzelius and the Life Power). During his lecture he said the following (my translation):

In his Year Book 1836, Berzelius wrote the following, while referring to Friedrich Wöhler's at that time epoch-making experiments to synthesize, out of ammonia and cyan gas, as end products urea and three other chemical substances in the laboratory, without using kidneys, dogs, other animals or human beings. After reviewing a multitude of similar phenomena in nature, he states:

These reactions seem to be driven by a "catalytic power", operating both in the dead and living matter. I can only suppose that it is a reflection of an inborn expression of the electrochemical power of material. We have good reason to suppose that in the living plants and animals, thousands of catalytic processes between tissues and fluids take place and produce the multitude of different chemical substances, to whose origin out of the common raw materials plant fluids or blood we never could realize a plausible cause. In the future we will discover the cause in the catalytic power of the organic tissues.

Berzelius had provided an astonishingly farsighted definition, given that his statements were made 90 years before the first successful crystallization of an enzyme, urease, by James B. Sumner. What Berzelius foresaw 200 years ago was simplified by the following definition that was formulated by my father:

A catalyst is a chemical substance which helps a chemical reaction without taking part in the final production, like the priest at a wedding.










http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=the-last-ship-2014&episode=s01e10

Springfield! Springfield!


The Last Ship

No Place Like Home


Granderson: I understand your allegiance to your friends.
You've gone through so much together.
But you've seen nothing of the chaos here at home.
The hysteria, the cruelty, the savagery.
You must try to see the situation from our point of view.










http://www.answers.com/topic/hugo-theorell

Answers


Hugo Theorell


Oxford Dictionary of Scientists:

Axel Hugo Teodor Theorell

Home > Library > Science > Dictionary of Scientists

Swedish biochemist (1903–1982)

Theorell, who was born at Linköping in Sweden, received his MD from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm in 1930. However, he did not pursue a career in medicine because of a polio attack. Instead, he became assistant professor of biochemistry at Uppsala University (1932–33, 1935–36), spending the intervening years with Otto Warburg at the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute in Berlin.

Theorell found that the sugar-converting (yellow) enzyme isolated from yeast by Warburg consisted of two parts: a nonprotein enzyme (of vitamin B2 plus a phosphate group) and the protein apoenzyme. He went further to show that the coenzyme oxidizes glucose by removing a hydrogen atom, which attaches at a specific point on the vitamin molecule. This was the first detailed account of enzyme action.

Theorell studied cytochrome c (important in the electron-transport chain) and was the first to isolate crystalline myoglobin. His research on alcohol dehydrogenase resulted in the development of blood tests that may be used to determine alcohol levels.










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/71211/Clancy_-_Rainbow_Six.html


Tom Clancy

Rainbow Six


CHAPTER 6

TRUE BELIEVERS

The problem was environmental tolerance. They knew the baseline organism was as effective as it needed to be. It was just so delicate. Exposed to air, it died far too easily. They weren't sure why, exactly. It might have beer; temperature or humidity, or too much oxygen-that element so essential to life was a great killer of life at the molecular level-and the uncertainty had been a great annoyance until a member of the team had conic up with a solution. They'd used genetic-engineering technology to graft cancer genes into the organism. Specifically, they'd used genetic material from colon cancer, one of the more robust strains, and the results had been striking. The new organism was only a third of a micron larger and far stronger. The proof was on the electron microscope's TV screen. The tiny strands had been exposed to room air and room light for ten hours before being reintroduced into the culture dish, and already, the technician saw, the minute strands were active, using their RNA to multiply after eating, replicating themselves into millions more little strands, which had only one purpose-to eat tissue. In this case it was kidney tissue, though liver was just as vulnerable. The technician-who had a medical degree from Yale made the proper written notations, and then, because it was her project, she got to name it. She blessed the course in comparative religion she'd taken twenty years before. You couldn't just call it anything. could you?










http://www.excite.com/tv/prog.jsp?id=EP016549350023&s=201408252100&sid=35354&sn=KREMDT&st=201408252200&cn=102

excite tv


Under the Dome (New)

102 KREMDT: Monday, August 25 10:00 PM [ 25 August 2014 Pacific Time USA ]

Science fiction

The Red Door

Barbie is apprehended by mysterious men and relentlessly interrogated about the Dome; Big Jim forms a deal that could permanently seal the fate of the Chester's Mill residents.

Cast: Mike Vogel, Rachelle Lefevre, Dean Norris, Eddie Cahill, Alexander Koch, Colin Ford, Mackenzie Lintz, Karla Crome Director(s): Peter Weller Executive Producer(s): Neal Baer, Stephen King, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Stacey Snider, Brian K. Vaughan

Original Air Date: Aug 25, 2014



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 4:26 PM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Monday 25 August 2014