Friday, August 01, 2014

Hauser




JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 11:52 AM

To: Kerry Burgess

Subject: Re: Some other things I would really rather be doing right now.


Kerry Burgess wrote:
Some other things I would really rather be doing right now.

1. I miss playing SimCity 4 by Maxis. I love that game. I have been buying their product since the first version. I hope in SimCity 5 they bring back the terrain editor that allows adjustment on a tile-by-tile basis. That diametrical tool is interesting, but I prefer a finer control over the terrain because I can better sculpt lakes and beaches. I am also hoping they add to the next version the ability to drive through the city in the point of view of a person in the game. I think SimCopter did something like that but I never tried that game. Lately I've been thinking of a new way to lay out a city structure for one of the mega-sized plots. On one edge, maybe the longest, I'll lay down a zone of Industrial and let it run the whole lenght. I set the tax rates to the maximum for the two polluters so I only get High Tech companies. It doesn't bring in as much revenue as the heaviest polluter, but pollution is light and then I can put high-density residential next to it and have it reach a greater potential. I am also thinking more about those dual-lane city streets. I've tried using the highway structures through the city, but I don't see much value to it, unless I put down a lot of them and then they take up a lot of space that could be generating revenue. Typically, I put down 6x6 blocks of Tech Industry, hi-density residential, and high-density commerical, with two-lane streets around them. I always leave a 3-tile section empty and one corner of the 6x6 block for a bus station, a subway station, and a single tile park. What I'm thinking of doing is putting down the dual-lane road around every 2x2 block of those 6x6 blocks. I've looked at putting down the monorail but that just takes up too much space and I don't like the way it messes up the symmetry. It's too bad the track doesn't share space with a road, maybe only the dual-lane road, in that the track occupies the median. So anyway, I start at the edge and run tech all the way. Then I put down a 6x6 block of high-density residental, maybe with a dual-lane between them, not sure how the symmetry would work out yet. So, from the edge, I have a 6x6 strip of high-tech, then a 6x6 strip of high-density residential. Then I would allow for at least 4 empty tiles for hospitals, schools, etc. I may need to make it 6 tiles, but I'm not sure. Then I would put down another 6x6 strip of high-density residential and then a 6x6 strip of high-density commercial. The cool part about this is that I could then put down another 6x6 strip of high-density commercial and just sort of mirror the three previous sections. With this wide section of commerce, I would have space to put in the rewards elements so that they wouldn't have an adverse impact on my residential sections. I think high-tech industry is equivalent to residential in terms of nimby/yimby. I'm not sure how the dual-lane roads would work out as I am laying out the strips from left to right, but it would be simple to put them down while going up and down, probably with two 6x6 blocks between them. When I am getting the city started, I would put down a lot of the heavy polluters on the left hand side and run them up that side, while running my residential and commerce to the right and away from the pollution. After I raise the taxes to maximum, the polluters will stay in operation as long as something doesn't happen such as losing power and some kind of destruction.


There's a bunch of other stuff I want to do now but those are the ones most on my mind at this moment.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 11 April 2006 exceprt ends]










http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1998/mar/04/funds-included-in-budget-for-evergreen/

The Spokesman-Review


March 4, 1998 in Nation/World

Funds Included In Budget For Evergreen Interchange Money Would Allow Valley Development To Proceed

Craig Welch The Spokesman-Review

Rep. Mark Sterk added $2 million to a supplemental budget request Tuesday that could help clear the way for large-scale development to resume near the Spokane Valley Mall.

The money would remove one of the biggest stumbling blocks to the delayed construction of the $23.4 million Evergreen Road interchange over Interstate 90 and could pave the way for Spokane County to start purchasing rights of way.

While hardly signaling an end to protracted negotiations over how to pay for the interchange, the $2 million is expected to help bring builders and landowners back to the bargaining table.

“The money will take a bit of the burden off the developers to come forth with all the money,” said Jerry Lenzi, regional administrator for the Department of Transportation. “This may be the encouragement that’s necessary.”

Sterk, a member of the House Transportation Committee, successfully lobbied chairman Karen Schmidt, R-Bainbridge, to add the $2 million to a $118 million supplemental budget request on Tuesday.

Spokane County has imposed a moratorium on big projects near the mall until the interchange is built. The long-awaited project expands Evergreen Road to six lanes north to Indiana, widens Evergreen to five lanes south to Sprague Avenue and includes a bridge spanning 10 lanes of freeway.

The project will be paid for jointly by the state, the county, Hanson Industries and mall developer JP Realty.

While no contracts have been signed, developers verbally have pledged to pay roughly $7.1 million combined. The county planned to ask the state for $4 million, which left the project short about $2.2 million.

The Department of Transportation has been reluctant to set aside the extra money itself, fearing it would take away from other state projects. That would have left developers - at least one of whom hasn’t committed to an exact dollar figure - and the county scrambling to find more money.

“I kept going back to staff and they kept showing me figures and the dollars just didn’t add up,” said Sterk, R-Spokane Valley.

He said he thought the remaining $200,000 shortfall could be absorbed.

Schmidt’s budget request still must be approved by both houses and signed by Gov. Gary Locke. But because Locke, the House and the Senate have proposed some money for the Evergreen project, it’s unlikely the additional cash would be stripped out, Sterk said.

Complicating passage, however, is the fact that Schmidt’s request is linked to the GOP’s $2.4 billion plan to fund additional transportation projects over the next five years.

At least three Republicans, angered that the plan includes a public vote and doesn’t offer a continuous source of revenue such as a gasoline tax increase, have pledged not to vote for the package in the Senate, where the GOP holds a three-seat majority.

Republican leaders, meanwhile, are quietly working to get some Democrats to approve the plan instead.

That extended package includes proposals to fund portions of a handful of Spokane-area road projects.

, DataTimes ILLUSTRATION: Map: Proposed Evergreen interchange

MEMO: This sidebar appeared with the story:

ROADWORK AHEAD

The following highway projects are included in the House Transportation Committee’s budget, which is expected to be sent to the floor later this week:

I-90, Sprague to Argonne - $15.3 million to reconstruct eastbound lanes and add a third lane.

I-90, Pines to Sullivan - $325,000 for planning work to add fifth and sixth lanes.

Highway 195 and Thorpe Road - $5.4 million to remove and reconstruct the intersection.

Route 290, Helena Street - $600,000 to move the alignment of Trent Avenue and the Hamilton Street bridge near the Riverpoint Higher Education Park further out so the campus could expand.

Also: The House budget sets aside about $418,000 for projects designed to improve the transportation of goods through the state, primarily trucking and railroad routes. On a list of 56 projects statewide, seven were from the Spokane area.

- Information provided by Spokane County Assistant Engineer Ross Kelley.

This sidebar appeared with the story: ROADWORK AHEAD The following highway projects are included in the House Transportation Committee’s budget, which is expected to be sent to the floor later this week:

I-90, Sprague to Argonne - $15.3 million to reconstruct eastbound lanes and add a third lane. I-90, Pines to Sullivan - $325,000 for planning work to add fifth and sixth lanes. Highway 195 and Thorpe Road - $5.4 million to remove and reconstruct the intersection. Route 290, Helena Street - $600,000 to move the alignment of Trent Avenue and the Hamilton Street bridge near the Riverpoint Higher Education Park further out so the campus could expand. Also: The House budget sets aside about $418,000 for projects designed to improve the transportation of goods through the state, primarily trucking and railroad routes. On a list of 56 projects statewide, seven were from the Spokane area. - Information provided by Spokane County Assistant Engineer Ross Kelley.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410297/quotes

IMDb


The Lake House (2006)

Quotes


Alex: Pick a place. I'll be there, I promise.











View Larger Map



https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Chapman+Lake,+Spokane+County,+WA&hl=en&ll=47.367722,-117.565985&spn=0.046855,0.132093&sll=47.271775,-122.980957&sspn=6.008764,21.09375&oq=chapman+lake&t=h&hnear=Chapman+Lake&z=14

Google Maps


Chapman Lake










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410297/quotes

IMDb


The Lake House (2006)

Quotes


Kate: I sometimes feel as if I'm invisible, as if no one can see me at all. I never felt that way when I lived at the Lake House.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410297/quotes

IMDb


The Lake House (2006)

Quotes


Simon Wyler: Where's your brother?

Alex: I sent him away. He wasn't feeling well. You know how he is, he worries.

Simon Wyler: Yeah, I know. He gets that from your mother, I'm afraid. She always worried too much.

Alex: What are you looking at?

[looking at architectural plans]

Simon Wyler: Hmm? Oh, yeah, here, take a gander. It's a proposal for a museum.

Alex: Who is it?

Simon Wyler: Someone new.

Alex: Oh, I like the walkways, where the light falls. What are the materials?

Simon Wyler: Granite. Aluminum.

Alex: White panels are straight out of Meier... but the interior color coming through the front windows, that's different. It's not new, but it's clean, uncluttered. I like it.

Simon Wyler: When was the last time you were in Barcelona?










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410297/quotes

IMDb


The Lake House (2006)

Quotes


Kate: Okay, my mystery correspondent, I get it - just in case you really are where and when you think you are, you'll need this

[he takes out a scarf from his mailbox]

Kate: . There was a freak late snow and everyone got sick. So, plenty of rest, lots of fluids. Doctor's orders.

Alex: [sarcastically] Snow. Right.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410297/quotes

IMDb


The Lake House (2006)

Quotes


Kate: Life is not a book, Alex. And it can be over in a second. I was having lunch with my mother at Daley Plaza and a man was killed right in front of me. He died in my arms. And I thought, "It can't end just like that on Valentine's Day." And I thought about all the people who love him, waiting at home, who will never see him again. And then I thought, "What if there is no one? What if you live your whole life and no one is waiting?"










http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/modestmouse/interstate8.html


MODEST MOUSE


"Interstate 8"

Spent 18 hours waiting stoned for space
I spent the same 18 hours in the same damn place
I'm on a road shaped like a figure 8
I'm going nowhere, but I'm guaranteed to be late










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410297/quotes

IMDb


The Lake House (2006)

Quotes


Alex: I'm an architect. I like to build.










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099587/quotes

IMDb


Flight of the Intruder (1991)

Quotes


Admiral: Why did you do this, Cole? An officer with your fine record? Did you think you were going to win the war?










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 8:57 PM

To: Kerry Burgess

Subject: Re: Journal June 25, 2006, Supplemental


Kerry Burgess wrote:


That makes me now wonder if I had have flown the Apache, as well as other aircraft. There was that Commodore game that I wrote about a couple years ago.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 25 June 2006 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 7:40 PM

To: Kerry Burgess

Subject: Re: Microsoft 'end-run'

Kerry Burgess wrote:
I wonder if they found that work I created back in 1999. During my off-time while we were cruising around the Persian Gulf in 1998, I often wrote code for my Commodore computer.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 24 April 2006 excerpt ends]





JOURNAL ARCHIVE: From: Kerry Burgess

Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 7:33 PM

To: Kerry Burgess

Subject: Re: Journal May 21, 2006, Supplemental


Kerry Burgess wrote:


Back in the '80s, in my memory at least, I had this cool game for my Commodore computer. It was a space shuttle simulator, can't remember the name. It required a lot of planning and detail and was a lot more than just flying the shuttle. You had to manage money to buy parts and accessories to put into space, with the purpose being to conduct research. The EVA, which was used to construct a space station and to put satellites into orbit, looked very similar to the one from 2001: Space Odyssey. The neatest part was scheduling the shuttle flights and the respective equipment and crew. You had to pick scientists to send up to the station so they could conduct the research.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 21 May 2006 excerpt ends]



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 06:33 AM Pacific Time Spokane Valley Washington USA Friday 01 August 2014