Friday, June 28, 2013

And cows go Moo.




http://www.nbcnews.com/id/52330787/ns/local_news-seattle_wa


Seattle, WA on NBC NEWS.com


Get ready for 80- and 90-degree temperatures


By KING 5 News and Associated Press

KING5

updated 37 minutes ago [ RETRIEVED 1 PM 28 June 2013 Pacific Time Seattle USA ]


SEATTLE -- A heat wave began Friday in Western Washington that is expected to reach the low 90s by the middle of next week.

KING 5 Meteorologist Jim Guy says highs at Sea-Tac Airport are expected to reach the low 80s Friday and Saturday, then warm up to the mid-to-high 80s Sunday and Monday before topping out at 90 on Tuesday.

The record for July 1 at Sea-Tac Airport is 87 degrees, set most recently in 1995. And the record for July 2 is 92, set in 1968.

Things will cool down considerably Wednesday and Thursday.

Temperatures east of the Cascades will be even hotter, as they usually are, with weekend highs in the 80s and 90s, possibly breaking 100 on Monday and Tuesday.

In Spokane, temperatures in the 90s are expected Saturday and Sunday during the Hoopfest 3-on-3 basketball tournament. The event is expected to draw 28,000 players and up to 200,000 people downtown. They are being warned to drink plenty of fluids to avoid heat-related problems.

The downside of great weather is the risks some people take to enjoy it at rivers, lakes and beaches in Washington. Cold water is a shock.










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 05/13/08 3:15 PM
I had a dream similar to this one just before I woke up earlier. I can still visualize both of them and the only real similarity was that I found myself falling off a bridge towards the water below and that part about the roll, which reminds me of the space shuttle launching.

In the dream earlier, I seemed to have started by climbing onto a bridge, which I don't recognize, that later began to disintegrate for some reason that was not apparent in the dream. There are other details before that scene that I do not now remember. Then I was falling feet first to the water and I noted how green was the water. I had a tremendous amount of time to think as I was very high above the water and I was timing my breathing so that I would take a large breath just before I hit the water, in hopes of making it back up to the surface. I was also thinking of how I was going to pull my legs up to my chest after I went below the surface in hopes of slowing my descent through the water and so that I could return faster to the surface. I was also thinking of how I would point my feet down to the water so that the impact would not break my feet and ankles. In the dream I saw myself just about to impact the water surface and I can visualize to some extent the details about the water surface, which meant I was very close to it. I might also remember that scene because I was dreading hitting the water. The next part I remember is that I found myself on the bottom of the river and there was a lot of sediment around me and then I was trying to swim back up to the surface. I found myself thinking that the exertion of trying to swim was causing me to use more oxygen and I was not certain I was going to make it. I had no idea how far below the surface I was but I have been thinking since I woke up that I was probably more than 100 feet below the surface. I could see light above me, and it had been bright daylight when I was falling from the bridge, but the water around me was still dark as I was looking up towards the lighter section of water.

The notion I have pondered over the most since waking up is that the dream might actually be some kind of representation about the comet I diverted in 1976. The detail about finding myself on the river bed with the sediment around me actual represents that the comet would have blasted through the atmosphere in a matter of seconds and then hit the ocean floor, which would have then blasted all that material into the Earth's atmosphere and produced a blanket covering the Earth.




JOURNAL ARCHIVE: 11/30/07 6:05 AM

I had an odd dream, last night I think, that I associate with that programmed roll the space shuttle stack makes just after lift off.

In the dream, though, I had jumped off a bridge and the water was a very long ways down. I was absolutely certain I would survive the fall though and I was thinking to myself that I needed to take a large gulp of air just before I hit the surface because I was going to go far below the surface. But I was also preparing myself to pull my legs up to my chest after I went under the surface so that I would not go as far below the surface than if my body remained in a shape similar to an arrow. There was also something about someone waterskiing nearby behind a jet ski. It seemed that water skiier said something to me but I don't know how that was possible because he was so far off.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 13 May 2008 excerpt ends]










http://www.nato.int/sfor/engineers/mostarbridge/introduction/introduc.htm


SFOR INFORMER


Bridge over troubled waters

by Capt. Bente Ravn

First published in SFOR Informer #11, May 28, 1997

Mostar - The war in Bosnia and Hercegovina (BiH) caused much pain and destruction. Many people lost family, friends, and homes and some cities became divided. One of the best known of these is Mostar, the largest city in Hercegovina with 109,000 inhabitants. In 1522 Mostar became the headquarters of the Ottoman administration of Hercegovina. Many military missions against Venetian cities were launched from the city, which came under Austrian control from 1878-1918, and then became part of Yugoslavia. Today it is a part of BiH.

According to a pre-war consensus, Mostar’s population consisted of 20 % Bosnian-Serbs, 40 % Bosniacs and 40 % Bosnian-Croats. There are practically no longer any Bosnian-Serbs in the city, they are living in the mountains south and east of the city. Bosniacs, make up 55 % of the city’s inhabitants live east of the river. Bosnian-Croats make up the remaining 45 %, and live on the west side of the Neretva.

Mostar has a story to tell. It is the story of the Old Bridge, an elegant single span arch built over the river Neretva by the Ottoman Turks. Mostar is an old city, established in the 15th century when a small settlement began to form around an old Roman wooden bridge over the Neretva river, but the name Mostar comes from the old white limestone bridge Stari Most (most means bridge, and stari means old - hence Mostar) which was finished in 1566 after nine years construction for the Ottoman emperor Sultan Sleiman the Magnificent.


On November 9, 1993, during bitter civil war in the city, the bridge was shelled by a Bosnian Croat tank from Mt. Hum. One of its last roles had been to allow Muslim defenders of the "left bank" cross the river and take supplies to their supporters and the population that had remained there. It withstood many centuries, but it could not survive this concentrated effort to demolish it. After several direct hits, this magnificent piece of history crashed into the waters below.










http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flashback_(psychology)


Flashback (psychology)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A flashback, or involuntary recurrent memory, is a psychological phenomenon in which an individual has a sudden, usually powerful, re-experiencing of a past experience or elements of a past experience. These experiences can be happy, sad, exciting, or any other emotion one can consider. The term is used particularly when the memory is recalled involuntarily


Relations to mental illness and drug use

Flashbacks are often associated with mental illness as they are a symptom and a feature in diagnostic criteria for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD), acute stress disorder, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). Flashbacks have also been observed in people suffering from manic depression, depression, homesickness



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 1:36 PM Pacific Time Seattle USA Friday 28 June 2013