Friday, July 19, 2013

Alert 1, this is Eagle Control.




I've never seen these photos before. I was browsing the root directory and I saw the listing for Leaverton's directory. I don't see the directory listed on the main HTML page for Ship's Photos.

The photo is blurry but that seems to be me in the sunglasses on the photo-left. Sitting at a bar on some beach somewhere.

The root directory indicates the time-frame as July 1988 to October 1988 but I don't think that is accurate.

I don't recall having my photo taken by Leaverton (the effect probably of the many bottles of beer I drank at that unidentified bar I am sitting at) but I recognize the other guys in the photo. That seems to be Dave Shepard in the middle and then Stan Keller on the photo-right.

I used to go drinking a lot with Stan Keller on the Wainwright and I recall when Dave Shepard reported onboard and I guess that photo is when we were in the Caribbean sometime in 1989. I don't recall precise dates but we were underway more than one time in 1989 preparing for that Med cruise later that year and the timeframe of that photo might be April 1989 to June 1989.

That might have been in Puerto Rico. We made several ports of call during 1989 in the Caribbean.

I am thinking about all this because I am trying to regain conscious awareness of memory that is locked in my brain because of some kind of security drug I recently started to suspect that I was required to consume. My first encounter with that medication might have been involuntary.










http://www.usswainwright.org/photoalbum/JLeverton/07-88%20to%2010-88/

Index of /photoalbum/JLeverton/07-88 to 10-88





http://www.usswainwright.org/photoalbum/JLeverton/07-88%20to%2010-88/005.JPG










Well, that explains it. Barbados. July 1989. I never would have guessed we were in Barbados in July 1989. Still don't know precisely when we were there but that is what's written on his handwritten notes. I met those girls from England in Barbados. I remember drinking at that bar on the beach with Stan and Eric and Dave. The one girl with short black hair on her head had a bad sunburn on her chest and she was sad because of something, splitting with her boyfriend or something. We went to this one nightclub in Barbados and the bouncer wasn't going to let us guys in there but he did only because those girls from England were with us.

Other photos indicate we where in Puerto Rico in February 1989 and February 25, 1989.

Another photo of his handwritten notes indicates the Wainwright was inport in Monaco February 27, 1990 and that must have been about the time I detached from the ship to travel back to the United States.





http://www.usswainwright.org/photoalbum/JLeverton/07-88%20to%2010-88/

Index of /photoalbum/JLeverton/07-88 to 10-88





http://www.usswainwright.org/photoalbum/JLeverton/07-88%20to%2010-88/015.JPG










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/F/Final_Countdown_The_1980_CD1.html


Final Countdown The


Vector 210 for the bogeys. Bogeys low and slow.
Your signal is Buster. I say again, your signal is Buster.










And there it is. The USS Samuel B. Roberts FFG 58 in the Persian Gulf on 14 April 1988. I have never seen these photos before now today. I remember the large screen television of the mess decks on my ship the Wainwright was displaying video over the ships closed-circuit television system of the Roberts as taken from a helicopter and I recall looking at the video and looking at the area where the ship had been hit. This photo clearly shows the ship is listing to starboard. The next towing photos show the Roberts under tow by our ship the Wainwright.

There are some great photos in there. He took photos of heavy seas as the Roberts was traveling alongside us and some serious waves crash over the bow. I guess that was as we crossed the Atlantic in January 1988 and traveling towards the Persian Gulf.

A later photo of his handwritten notes indicated we conducted a towing exercise of the Roberts in January 1988. Doesn't mention the photo showing the ship listing to starboard.

Post update: After a while I started thinking that photo is not of the Roberts in the Persian Gulf and is instead that towing exercise with the Wainwright before we got into the Persian Gulf. Seems strange to see it listing so much when there is no visible wake and no strain on the towing line. The Roberts being towed in April 1988 seems to be this photo taken from my combat systems divison co-worker on the Wainwright: http://www.usswainwright.org/photoalbum/JLeverton/Persian%20Gulf%201988/051.JPG









http://www.usswainwright.org/photoalbum/JLeverton/Persian%20Gulf%201988/

Index of /photoalbum/JLeverton/Persian Gulf 1988





http://www.usswainwright.org/photoalbum/JLeverton/Persian%20Gulf%201988/007.JPG



- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 3:25 PM Pacific Time near Seattle Washington State USA Friday 19 July 2013