Thursday, July 11, 2013

USS Wainwright CG 28 - Mediterranean 1989




Recently I thought to purchase a copy of the cruise book for the USS Wainwright CG 28 of the ship's deployment to the Med in 1989 and 1990.

A cruise book is sort of similar to a high school class book in its format. There are photos of the people and the places.

The cruise book was easy to order from the USS Wainwright Veterans website. Presumably anybody can order a copy of it.

Today I got in the mail a CD-ROM that is the images of the pages from that actual cruise book from 1989 and 1990. I am referencing it now as a source for reports I intend to publish now and future.

Looking through it today on my computer I couldn't believe it. There is actually a photo of me in the cruise book. I had heard of them before but I never had a cruise book before.

The part that seems incredible looking at it now is that I just do not recall us having our photos taken for that book.

I guess it's possible, it's very possible that I simply do not now recall such a trivial detail. Another possibility is I was on the security drug during that time.

All the people in the CF Division are familiar, looking there at all our photos on page 24 of the cruise book. The CD-ROM application indicates page 22 but the image indicates page 24.

The faces are familiar but the names I had mostly forgotten.

Ensign Stephens. I remember him. He was an LDO, a former enlisted sailor as I recall. There's Senior Chief Boon.

FC1 Leaverton was nicknamed Doc. Every time I watch the DVD for the 1980 film "The Final Countdown" and there is that enlisted sailor on the radar scope who says "I lost the helo" I think of how his appearance is similar to Leaverton. I don't recall Leaverton's first name. As best I recall he reported on board the ship after I did. I vaguely recall seeing him sitting in his work space in the fire control radar and sitting in front of the radar screen.

In the opening pages of the cruise book is a summary of activity for the ship in previous years and I am referencing the timeframe I was serving onboard. The Wainwright returned 9 July 1988 to Charleston from Persian Gulf deployment. We deployed from Charleston to the Persian Gulf on 11 January 1988. We left for the Mediterranean Sea deployment on 12 October 1989.

Page 67 of the cruise book image has a two-page spread of the USS Wainwright CG-28 Inport Schedule for that Med cruise that began 12 October 1989. There are other listings after Monaco but I have not transcribed them here because Monaco is where I remember leaving the ship to fly back to the United States. So according to that list the ship left Monaco on 04 March 1990. The ship arrived in Monaco on 26 February 1990. I do not recall the day I left the ship but I guess I left on the 28th.

Post update: Something seems wrong with that list. The first listing makes no sense because that is the day the ship deployed. I remember distinctly that Barcelona was our first port call and I remember that because I thought we were going to arrive on the 2nd of November. Not sure of the accuracy of the other listings. Monaco must be accurate, as best I recall, but I don't know.



Oct 12: Barcelona

Nov 03-08 Rota SP

16-20 Toulon

Dec 01-04 Presidential Summit

04-07 Naples

09-12 Palma SP

December 20-08 Palma SP

Jan 12-16 Anchor Agusta Bay

24-28 Valencia

Feb 03-08 Naples IT

10-21 Naples IT

26-04 Monaco





Page 94 and page 95 of the cruise book indicate that helo crash was December 2, 1989.

There's a candid shot of me on page 106 of the cruise book. Can't really tell what I am doing. My sleeves are rolled up. I think I'm holding a screwdriver. I seem to be about to unbolt a deckplate. There seems to be some words painted on the deck but the photo is too small for me to read it. The caption on the photo reads: "FC2 BURGESS, THIS LOOKS SERIOUS?"

I am thinking about all this because I am trying to regain my mind, I would have been much different at that point. That was several months after July 1989.

Oh, the words on the deck seem to be "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE"

I am kneeling on the deck and holding a tool that isn't a screwdriver but another kind of tool and I cannot recall what that tool is called. Sort of like a Philips head but that isn't it. It's not a flathead. I don't recognize the location. There is some kind of electrical or electronic panel next to me that I don't recognize. I am posing in the photo just as I am holding that tool above the words that indicate the dangerous presence of high voltage. That photo seemed vaguely familiar when I first saw it but nothing else has come to mind.

What I have been thinking lately is that my brother's wife (Why are you wearing the white dress uniform of an enlisted US Navy sailor, Thomas?) told me to play dumb when I returned to the real world. I am wondering if I posed for that photograph for a specific reason, since, presumably, I couldn't talk to anybody about anything.

This is the first time I have ever seen this cruise book, as far as I know. I left the ship before the cruise ended and I don't recall ever getting an actual copy of the book.

William A. Weronko, Commander US Navy, was Executive Officer of USS Wainwright CG 28 since 6 June 1989.

Page 5 indicates that Captain Arthur W. Newlon reported as commanding officer of USS Wainwright CG-28 in April 1989. Page 5 also indicates he was born 7 November 1942.





From 11/7/1942 ( Arthur W. Newlon ) To 7/16/1963 ( Phoebe Cates the wife of my biological brother Thomas Reagan ) is 7556 days

7556 = 3778 + 3778

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 3/7/1976 ( premiere US TV series episode "The Six Million Dollar Man"::"Big Brother" ) is 3778 days



From 11/7/1942 ( Arthur W. Newlon ) To 1/18/1980 ( premiere US film "Gizmo!" ) is 13586 days

13586 = 6793 + 6793

From 11/2/1965 ( my birth date in Antlers Oklahoma USA and my birthdate as the known official Deputy United States Marshal Kerry Wayne Burgess and active duty United States Marine Corps officer ) To 6/8/1984 ( premiere US film "Gremlins" ) is 6793 days










http://www.tv.com/shows/the-six-million-dollar-man/big-brother-33068/


tv.com


The Six Million Dollar Man Season 3 Episode 22

Big Brother


AIRED: 3/7/76





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074573/releaseinfo

IMDb


Gizmo! (1977)


Release Dates

USA 18 January 1980 (New York City, New York)





http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074573/quotes

IMDb


Gizmo! (1977)

Quotes


Narrator: [Dedication] This movie is dedicated to all those inventive people who tried to do the impossible and succeeded. It is also dedicated to those cravers, who have the heart of crane in life. Because never before would pursuit of genius, of inventive type










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/G/Gremlins.html


Gremlins


Look, that one's got a cute stripe on its head.
Isn't that incredible, Pete?
Yeah, great.
Don't you think this--? This is incredible!
Oh, it is neat.
I'm serious. It's neat.










http://www.e-reading.org.ua/bookreader.php/133435/King_-_The_Shining.html


Stephen King

The Shining


“Danny… Dannee…”

He looked up and there was Tony, far up the street, standing by a stop sign and waving. Danny, as always, felt a warm burst of pleasure at seeing his old friend, but this time he seemed to feel a prick of fear, too, as if Tony had come with some darkness hidden behind his back. A jar-of wasps which when released would sting deeply.

But there was no question of not going.

He slumped further down on the curb, his hands sliding laxly from his thighs and dangling below the fork of his crotch. His chin sank onto his chest. Then there was a dim, painless tug as part of him got up and ran after Tony into funneling darkness.

“Dannee-”

Now the darkness was shot with swirling whiteness. A coughing, whooping sound and bending, tortured shadows that resolved themselves into fir trees at night, being pushed by a screaming gale. Snow swirled and danced. Snow everywhere.

“Too deep,” Tony said from the darkness, and there was a sadness in his voice that terrified Danny. “Too deep to get out.”

Another shape, looming, rearing. Huge and rectangular. A sloping roof. Whiteness that was blurred in the stormy darkness. Many windows. A long building with a shingled roof. Some of the shingles were greener, newer. His daddy put them on. With nails from the Sidewinder hardware store. Now the snow was covering the shingles. It was covering everything.

A green witchlight glowed into being on the front of the building, flickered, and became a giant, grinning skull over two crossed bones:

“Poison,” Tony said from the floating darkness. “Poison.”

Other signs flickered past his eyes, some in green letters, some of them on boards stuck at leaning angles into the snowdrifts. NO SWIMMING. DANGER! LIVE WIRES. THIS PROPERTY CONDEMNED. HIGH VOLTAGE. THIRD RAIL. DANGER OF DEATH. KEEP OFF. KEEP OUT. NO TRESPASSING. VIOLATORS WILL BE SHOT ON SIGHT. He understood none of them completely-he couldn't read!-but got a sense of all, and a dreamy terror floated into the dark hollows of his body like light brown spores that would die in sunlight.

They faded. Now he was in a room filled with strange furniture, a room that was dark. Snow spattered against the windows like thrown sand. His mouth was dry, his eyes like hot marbles, his heart triphammering in his chest. Outside there was a hollow booming noise, like a dreadful door being thrown wide. Footfalls. Across the room was a mirror, and deep down in its silver bubble a single word appeared in green fire and that word was: REDRUM.

The room faded. Another room. He knew

(would know)

this one. An overturned chair. A broken window with snow swirling in; already it had frosted the edge of the rug. The drapes had been pulled free and hung on their broken rod at an angle. A low cabinet lying on its face.

More hollow booming noises, steady, rhythmic, horrible. Smashing glass. Approaching destruction. A hoarse voice, the voice of a madman, made the more terrible by its familiarity:

Come out! Came out, you little shit! Take your medicine!

Crash. Crash. Crash. Splintering wood. A bellow of rage and satisfaction. REDRUM. Coming.

Drifting across the room. Pictures torn off the walls. A record player

(?Mommy's record player'!)

overturned on the floor. Her records, Grieg, Handel, the Beatles, Art Garfunkel, Bach, Liszt, thrown everywhere. Broken into jagged black pie wedges. A shaft of light coming from another room, the bathroom, harsh white light and a word flickering on and off in the medicine cabinet mirror like a red eye, REDRUM, REDRUM, REDRUM-

“No,” he whispered. “No, Tony please-”

And, dangling over the white porcelain lip of the bathtub, a hand. Limp. A slow trickle of blood (REDRUM) trickling down one of the fingers, the third, dripping onto the tile from the carefully shaped nail-

No oh no oh no-

(oh please, Tony, you're scaring me)

REDRUM REDRUM REDRUM

(stop it, Tony, stop it)

Fading.

In the darkness the booming noises grew louder, louder still, echoing, everywhere, all around.

And now he was crouched in a dark hallway, crouched on a blue rug with a riot of twisting black shapes woven into its pile, listening to the booming noises approach, and now a Shape turned the corner and began to come toward him, lurching, smelling of blood and doom. It had a mallet in one hand and it was swinging it (REDRUM) from side to side in vicious arcs, slamming it into the walls, cutting the silk wallpaper and knocking out ghostly bursts of plasterdust:

Come on and take your medicine! Take it like a man!

The Shape advancing on him, reeking of that sweet-sour odor, gigantic, the mallet head cutting across the air with a wicked hissing whisper, then the great hollow boom as it crashed into the wall, sending the dust out in a puff you could smell, dry and itchy. Tiny red eyes glowed in the dark. The monster was upon him, it had discovered him, cowering here with a blank wall at his back. And the trapdoor in the ceiling was locked.

Darkness. Drifting.

“Tony, please take me back, please, please-”

And he was back, sitting on the curb of Arapahoe Street, his shirt sticking damply to his back, his body bathed in sweat. In his ears he could still hear that huge, contrapuntal booming sound and smell his own urine as he voided himself in the extremity of his terror. He could see that limp hand dangling over the edge of the tub with blood running down one finger, the third, and that inexplicable word so much more horrible than any of the others: REDRUM.

And now sunshine. Real things. Except for Tony, now six blocks up, only a speck, standing on the corner, his voice faint and high and sweet. “Be careful, doc…”










JOURNAL ARCHIVE: posted by H.V.O.M at 7:36 AM Tuesday, July 17, 2007


The U.S. military DD-214 form that I received from the official personnel records center contains a primary speciality number of 1189


12. Record Of Service
a. Date Entered AD This Period: 84 May 15
b. Separation Date This Period: 90 May 14
c. Net Active Service This Period: 06 years 00 months 00 days
d. Total Prior Active Service: 02 years 00 months 00 days


The field 12.g. "Sea Service" contains a value of 03 years 09 months 10 days.


[JOURNAL ARCHIVE 17 July 2007 excerpt ends]










From 8/1/1980 ( premiere US film "The Final Countdown" ) To 5/11/1984 ( Ashdown Arkansas High School Class of 1984 graduation ceremony ) is 3 years 9 months 10 days










http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087363/quotes

IMDb


Gremlins (1984)

Quotes


Randall Peltzer: Well, that's the story. So if your air conditioner goes on the fritz or your washing machine blows up or your video recorder conks out; before you call the repairman turn on all the lights, check all the closets and cupboards, look under all the beds, 'cause you never can tell there just might be a gremlin in your house.










http://www.divxmoviesenglishsubtitles.com/F/Flight_Of_The_Intruder_CD1_1991.html


Flight Of The Intruder


Hey, Morg.
Did you ever notice how...
how some nights you could see more stars
than other nights?
Huh? You ever notice that?
Hmm?
The stars.
Oh, yeah.
I've got an update.
I'm cycling to the coast-in point.
You're getting in a rut.
You're getting in a rut.
I mean, did you ever stop to think
you're taking your job just a little bit too seriously?
Look at me-- I enjoy my work.
Yeah, I'll bet.
See, I'm happy.
See? Look.
Enemy search radar
looking for company.














- posted by H.V.O.M - Kerry Wayne Burgess 6:20 PM Pacific Time Seattle USA Thursday 11 July 2013