Sunday, June 17, 2007

Class of 1982

Assuming I was the creator of this work, this photo at the follwing link is funny because my thoughts suggest I graduated from with the U.S. Naval Academy Class of 1982. The photo is captioned "The Class of '82." There is a paper airplane that seems to have been thrown at Phoebe. I can't read the smaller print in the image but the larger print reads something about the reunited cast and creators of the movie. That shirt Phoebe is wearing seems to be familiar too but I can't figure out why. I can't think of any reasons why those colors are important. The design looks familiar too, as though it is aviator-related somehow.

There is also something in her character in that movie about the notion of an actress as a sex symbol. Something about Phoebe as a sex symbol but that she and I were in a committed relationship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_symbol

A sex symbol is a famous and/or notable person, male or female, who is found sexually attractive by the general audience.

I have been wondering if the mall in the movie is symbolic of an aircraft carrier.

http://gallery.phoebe-cates.com/v/movies/fast_times/fast_times028.JPG.html


This is a photo of Phoebe in the red-striped uniform her character wore at the ice cream store job. I noted earlier that the "Good Humor Man" is U.S. Navy slang for the white uniform because it resembles the uniform that is known as the uniform an ice cream man would wear. There is a similar reference in the 1982 movie "An Officer And A Gentleman."

http://gallery.phoebe-cates.com/v/movies/fast_times/fast_times064.jpg.html























I assume that I created the character Phoebe portrayed in the uniform with the red stripes because I had red stripes on my space suit while on the Earth's moon, and because of the "Good Humor Man" reference to U.S. Navy slang about the white uniform of U.S. Navy sailors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_14

Apollo 14 was the eighth manned mission in the Apollo program and the third mission to land on the Moon.

Shepard's moonwalking suit was the first to incorporate red bands on the arms and legs and a red stripe on the top of the lunar EVA sunshade "hood", so as to allow easy identification of the commander while on the surface; on the Apollo 12 pictures, it had been almost impossible to distinguish between the two crewmen, causing a great deal of confusion. This feature was on Jim Lovell's Apollo 13 suit, but because of the accident, this was not used. It was used on the remaining three Apollo flights and is used on both the U.S. and Russian spacesuits on both the Space Shuttle and International Space Station.


There was a friend named Dave Shepard that worked with me on the USS Wainwright CG-28, in my artificial and symbolic memory. I wonder if that is why I have that artificial memory.

This a photo of an astronaut on the Earth's moon on the Apollo 17 flight, which was the last known voyage by humans to the Earth's moon. I am thinking that I used the same space suits when I went to the planet Mars and beyond, on my 1976 mission to divert the comet. I have wondered if Gene was my cover name for that flight, considering a reference to Pink Floyd's "Point Me At The Sky."

http://www.history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/images17.html#MagB

http://www.history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/AS17-134-20385HR.jpg

AS17-134-20385

118:26:32 Gene holds the lower corner of the U.S. flag with the South Massif in the background. Good view of the OPS release on the side of his RCU.

http://www.history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/AS17-134-20386HR.jpg

AS17-134-20386

118:26:32 EVA-1 at the LM. Gene is holding a corner of the flag and saluting. We see the LRV (Lunar Roving Vehicle) in the background and, on his chest, the "Red Apple" purge valve actuator. He has the geology hammer in his right shin pocket. Ken Glover notes that Gene's face ( 140k ) can be seen thru the gold visor in this picture and, more clearly, in 20387.

http://www.history.nasa.gov/alsj/a17/AS17-134-20387HR.jpg

AS17-134-20387

118:26:38 EVA-1 at the LM. Photo of Gene with the Earth above him. Note the antenna on the top of his OPS and the OPS activation ring mounted on the right side of his chest-mounted RCU. Gene is holding the lower corner of the American flag. Note the checklist on the top of his glove, and the watch strap on his arm, just above the top of his glove. Ken Glover notes that Gene's face ( 236k ) can be seen thru the gold visor in this picture and in 20386.