Wednesday, June 27, 2007

"What are you people? On dope?"

That is so hilarious with "Mr. Hand" asking if they are "on dope." I find that incredibly entertaining, even if I might have created that character as a representation of my real identity.


I can't remember for certain the details, but the thoughts of monitoring a fire-control radar makes me think of a square wave. I have some basic artificial and symbolic memories to support this notion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_wave

A square wave is a basic kind of non-sinusoidal waveform encountered in electronics and signal processing. An ideal square wave alternates regularly and instantaneously between two levels, which may or may not include zero.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Types_and_uses_of_radar

Radar has many different types and applications:

"Search radars" scan a wide area with pulses of short radio waves. They usually scan the area two to four times a minute. The waves are usually less than a meter long. Ships and planes are metal, and reflect radio waves. The radar measures the distance to the reflector by measuring the time from emission of a pulse to reception, and dividing by the speed of light. To be accepted, the received pulse has to lie within a period of time called the range gate. The radar determines the direction because the short radio waves behave like a search light when emitted from the reflector of the radar set's antenna.

"Targeting radars" use the same principle but scan a much smaller area far more often, usually several times a second or more, where a search radar might scan a few times per minute. Some targeting radars have a range gate that can track a target, to eliminate clutter and electronic counter-measures.



http://www.radartutorial.eu/12.scopes/sc15.en.html

Gate Circuit

The gate circuit develops pulses which synchronize the indicator with the transmitter. The gate circuit itself is synchronized by trigger pulses from the synchronizer. It then provides timing for the intensity gate generator, sweep generator circuit, and the sweep control circuit.

While the PPI-Scope at older radar sets is synchronized by trigger pulses directly from the modulator, e.g. the Synchronizer of the ASR-910 provides a special scope-trigger (TA-39).

Sawtooth- Generator

The sweep generator circuit produces currents which deflect an electron beam across the crt. Varying voltages from the sweep control circuit are applied to deflection coils. Gate voltages determine sweep rate, and therefore, the effective distance (range) covered by each sweep.
The amplitudes of the sawtooth sweep currents are varied sinusoidally (like a sine wave), corresponding to the rotation of the antenna. Notice that there is a 90 degree phase difference between the amplitude variations of the horizontal and vertical waveforms.

The sawtooth current is required to produce a linear trace. A deflection coil may be considered equivalent to the circuit shown in the diagram. Because of the inductance of the coil, a trapezoidal voltage must be applied across the coil to produce a sawtooth of current through it.



What was the name of that girl that called me on the phone that time at Randy Romine's house? It wasn't Jane Black, I don't think. She called me and there was something about going to a movie. Thedia made a big deal because she was happy that was the first time a girl had called me and I felt annoyed that she was making a big deal about it. I thought of that when I heard that line from Phoebe in the 1982 "Fast Times At Ridgemont High." I think all she was saying was that she called a boy when she was 13. You might assume that meant she had sex when she was 13 but the lines don't support that notion. They are two separate sentences. Something about calling a boy could lead to sex, but then, that is the objective, isn't it? A girl doesn't call a boy just to have sex, but rather it is an indication of sexual attraction. That doesn't mean it will lead to sex, just that the girl thinks the guy might be somebody she likes. That is the just the first step in the desired courtship. That scene, assuming I wrote the script, was probably my concerns as a father showing up. It is natural for kids to start thinking about sex at some point and it is the responsible father that ensures they understand the consequences of sex.

Maybe Phoebe called me on the telephone after I returned from space in 1977 when she was still 13, which would have been between 4/14/1977 and 7/16/1977. That could very well be the basis for that Pink Floyd song about the "space cadet glow," and "go to the show." I found clues from a reliable source recently to support that notion. And, if that notion is correct, then the lyrics also support the notion that she called me and asked if I wanted to meet her at the theatre to see a movie.

I can still visualize that all very well. I can't "remember" her name yet, but I "remember" she had black hair. I can "remember" being there in my room and that might have been when I had an antenna rigged up in my room with span wires, for some reason. Thedia told me I couldn't do that. That seems a curious detail to "remember." I had a small antenna rigged to increase the range of a walkie-talkie. It's probably something about Vietnam. That wasn't the first time I was bulding antennas. I did that quite a few times in my artifical and symbolic memory.

I was lying on my bed when that girl called about the movie so I'll bet that was Phoebe calling me in 1977. I had just returned from over 17 months in space at I was resting at times while also working to regain my strength with exercise. I hope that is what that all means. I want to remember her very much. I would find it very humorous to remember that Phoebe and I went to see "Star Wars" together in 1977. That would be incredibly funny that she called me on the telephone to go see that movie with her after I had returned from my successful mission to divert the comet, which I think is symbolic of the "Death Star" in "Star Wars." The U.S. premiere of that movie was 41 days after 4/14/1977.

This is the scene from the movie as I just watched it on DVD. I also wonder if I remember the differences from the draft script and the movie script but I don't consciously remember that I wrote all of it.

Stacy: Do you think he'll call this week?

Linda: Stace why don't you just call him?

Stacy: I can't

Linda: Yes you can. Guys love that sort of thing.

Stacy: Really?

Linda: Yes. Stacy what are you waiting for? You are fifteen years old. I did it when I was 13. It's no huge thing. It's just sex.


She isn't saying she had sex when she was 13. She is saying she called a boy when she was 13. When I think of that, I also think of the 1978 "Superman" in that scene where "Superman" visits "Lois Lane" on her balcony. There is the scene I noted where it could be construed that he is saying his first name is "Pink" and if I had creative input into that script as well, then I was making an oblique reference to the band Pink Floyd. I even have artificial and symbolic memories of asking Jim Shea which one of the band was Pink Floyd, which is quite humorous. So anyway, there is the part where "Lois" asks "Superman" if he has a girlfriend and he responds something about how she will be the first to know. I believe this scene represents that I was planning to date a romantic relationship with Phoebe when she was old enough. We had known each other for a long time because of the arranged marriage stuff, but we were basically just friends until she was old enough to decide that she also wanted to pursue a romantic relationship. I have artificial and symbolic memories that my first words as child was "Batman" as I was watching that television series at the time and I wonder if that actually represents that Phoebe's first words were "Superman" and that is the basis for all these details about those "Superman" movies. I have also been wondering if she is the "Pink" and I am the "Floyd" in Pink Floyd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_wall

The Wall is an album by the English rock band Pink Floyd, released in 1979. Hailed by critics and fans as one of Pink Floyd's best albums, the album is widely regarded as a rock classic, and its morbid anthems have inspired many contemporary rock musicians. The album is included in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die


http://www.lyricsondemand.com/p/pinkfloydlyrics/inthefleshlyrics.html

Pink Floyd Lyrics

In The Flesh? Lyrics

...We came in?
So ya
Thought ya
Might like to go to the show
To feel the warm thrill of confusion and
That space cadet glow
Tell me is something eluding you sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes?
You'll just have to claw your way through the
Disguise



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078346/quotes

Memorable quotes for
Superman (1978)

[Superman and Lois are standing on opposite sides of a large planter]

Lois Lane: What color underwear am I wearing?

Superman: [looking] Hmmm...

Lois Lane: Oh, I'm sorry, I embarrassed you, didn't I?

Superman: Oh, no, no, no, not at all, Miss Lane, it's just that this planter must be made of lead.
Lois Lane: Uh, yes it is. So?

Superman: Well, you see, I, uh, I sort of have a problem seeing through lead.

Lois Lane: Oh, that's interesting.

Lois Lane: [Writing] Problem seeing through lead. Hmmm. Uh, d-do you have a first name?

Superman: What do you mean, like, uh, Ralph or something?

Lois Lane: No, no, I mean like...

[Walks away from the planter]

Superman: Pink.

Lois Lane: Huh?

Superman: Pink.

[Lois walks back to the planter]

Superman: Um, sorry, Miss Lane, I didn't mean to embarrass you.