Thursday, June 28, 2007

"Feet wet"

That fantasy scene in the 1982 "Fast Times At Ridgemont High" where she is taking off the top has that guy she is pretending to kiss wearing a jacket very similar to a U.S. Navy officer's dress blue uniform. The scene doesn't reveal any clues to suggest it is not a U.S. Navy officer's jacket, as best I can tell. For example, the ends of the sleeves are not shown which would feature the gold braid that indicates the officer's rank. That scene started with him secretly watching her through a window as she was sitting on the diving board with her feet in the water, which is a very good illustration of how I think of "home" and how I wish I was back there so I can start living again.
Service Depicted: Navy

An Ensign uses binoculars on the bridge

Date Shot: 1 Jun 1981



I also wonder if her line as she is getting out of the water is something I said to her one time after we started dating. Something about how I had always thought she was cute.

Linda: Hi Brad. You know how cute I always thought you were.


That scene where "Stacy" asks Phoebe's character how long "Doug" "takes," suggests to me that Phoebe's character was making it all up. Her demeanor suggests she had been caught in a lie, in that she wasn't consistent with the details. I also liked the way she winks at "Stacy" when she mentions something about all the men that are around, suggesting to me that Phoebe was in a committed relationship with me in reality.


As I watch that movie, I think Phoebe smiles differently when she is around me.