Friday, June 08, 2007

"My mom was a Deb, my grandma too"

How the hell did I get stuck with such a lousy goddamned job. Why me? Why couldn't we have just sent in a double? It makes no damned sense. Why the hell did I need to have my mind scrambled and away from my wife for over 9 years? Why? Why couldn't we have just sent in a double? It makes no damned sense.


That sure did look like Maureen Reagan in one of those scenes in "An Officer And A Gentleman." That one scene at the dance that makes me think of this quote from the movie about how his mother was a debutante, as was his grandmother. I need to go back and look at it again. I have also wondered if that scene where they walked out of "Paula's" house after dinner with her family actually reflects me taking Phoebe someplace for dinner. But she didn't know they were my family. For example, I might have taken her to the White House, but she didn't know that was my family. I was going to point back to that movie when I told her about it. I guess she knew all that before I left this time, but I'm not sure. I think I was also clever about making people assume that "Paula" had dated other officer candidate's before "Zack" but if you really think about it, there is no support in the movie for that assumption. I believe the "Paula" character was a quite accurate, but less glamorous, version of my relationship with Phoebe. The character "Lynnette" was a good portrayal of the women that chase after us, but "Paula" was based on that very nice girl named Phoebe that I was in love with. The movie does support that notion.