Monday, June 11, 2007

Winter Olympics

I found it curious that the guy listed as the gold medalist for the Luge event during the 1964 Winter Olympics was 23.59 years old on 1/29/1964, the first day of that event. I recognize that I use '23' as another method to express '33.' The reason is that '23' is a notion for two 3's, or '3-3." I don't know for certain if this means I raced under his name on the Luge course and subsequently won the gold medal myself, but the thoughts linger. There is also the curious connection of the movie "Cool Runnin'" to this Olympic event. He also has the same first name as me. Maybe he is a stand-in for me in all regards concerning Olympic activities, or he is an Olympic athlete himself that I substituted for. I don't know. But I am quite certain this is all why I started seeing chatter on a triathlon internet forum back in 2002 about racers competing under other people's names.

Another problem with understanding Thomas Kohler is that he won gold medals in the 1968 Olympics and the German teams were not unified in 1968 as they were in 1964. I doubt I raced for the East German team. That is crazy. I guess I could have though. I don't know. But maybe that wasn't me. He didn't win the gold medal in the Luge singles. It was Schmid with the Austrian team and Kohler got the silver in the singles. Kohler did get the gold in the doubles. I've seen Manfred Schmid's birthdate show up recently but I can't remember where now. According to information I found on the internet, he was 23 years, 35 weeks, old when the 1968 Winter Olympic began. Not sure of that means anything relevant to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_K%C3%B6hler

Thomas Köhler (born June 25, 1940) was an East German luger who competed during the 1960s. He won three Winter Olympic medals in men's luge with two golds (Singles: 1964, Doubles: 1968) and one silver (Singles: 1968).


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manfred_Schmid

Manfred Schmid (born June 6, 1944) was an Austrian luger who competed from the mid 1960s to the mid 1970s. Competing in four Winter Olympics, he won two medals at Grenoble in 1968 with a gold in the men's singles event and a silver in the men's doubles event.




http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1964_Winter_Olympics

The 1964 Winter Olympics, officially known as the IX Olympic Winter Games, were celebrated in Innsbruck, Austria, from January 29 to February 9, 1964. The games included 1091 athletes from 36 nations, and the Olympic Torch was carried by Joseph Rieder, [1] a former alpine skier who had participated in the 1956 Winter Olympics.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Winter_Olympics

The 1968 Winter Olympics, officially known as the X Olympic Winter Games, were celebrated in 1968 Grenoble, France and opened on February 6. Thirty-seven countries participated. Norway won the most medals, the first time a country other than the USSR had done so since the USSR first entered the Winter Games in 1956.