Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Futurama - Amy Wong

The plot element of how the character "Amy Wong" is considered a klutz is probably about me, while other elements could reprensent my wife and one or more of my daughters, and probably how she is a descendant of us. There is probably an element to her character that reflects how I was making up cover stories for the injuries I received in combat. I couldn't tell my wife or family about my activities, such as falling out of the space shuttle, so I might have explained that I injured myself water skiing. I can't remember where I read she was someone prone to injury, but I remember a scene where she falls off a rocket-surfboard. I'm still thinking I have at least 15 Purple Heart medals so I had a lot to explain away. It is also funny how we can get the paparazzi running around in circles trying to figure out how this stuff applies to us in reality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Wong

Amy Wong (born August 4, 2980[citation needed]) is a fictional character, one of the main characters from the FOX television animated series Futurama. She is studying engineering at Mars University, and to help her with her studies she works as an intern at Planet Express (supposedly kept around because she shares Professor Farnsworth's blood type). She is voiced by Lauren Tom.

Amy comes from a very rich Chinese family; her parents own the entire western hemisphere of Mars and her sorority was "Kappa Kappa Wong". Her parents don't brand their livestock because they own so much, it's just easier to brand everything that's not theirs. Amy's stereotypically Asian meddling mother and father frequently bug her to get married and give them grandchildren, which she is not eager to do.

On the show, Amy is known for being somewhat shallow, kind and ditzy, and for her overuse of martian slang (which is simply American slang with different syllables, examples being "Spluh" (duh), "Gleesh" (sheesh), "Globviously", "sploops" (oops), and "Shman" (man)). Amy's standard outfit is pink sweatpants and a matching sweatshirt. She confesses to Fry that she dresses that way to rebel against her parents. There is also a half-rivalry with Leela about their looks and love lives, with Amy always ready with a putdown. When angered, Amy occasionally starts cursing in Cantonese (see "Amazon Women in the Mood").

Amy's most outstanding physical feature (in her mind) is that she is exceptionally cute. It is implied that she was rather promiscuous back at Mars University due to her cuteness. Her looks are often her number one priority (for example, after nearly dying in a fire, Amy's only comment is that the flames singed her hair into "an even cuter 'do"). She doesn't even mind looking promiscuous: When she asks Prof. Farnsworth how she looks and he says "Like a cheap French harlot", Amy merely responds with "French?" (When Aliens Attack). Because of her supreme cuteness, Amy had cuteness reduction surgery on her cheek and nose when she was a teenager.



Lauren Tom's birthday relationship with Phoebe reminds me of Lesa Jewell and her husband, Tom Withem. I knew Lesa from Ashdown, in my artificial and symbolic memory, and she and Tom had three children. I think my wife calls me Tom, even though I use Thomas in writing, although I still don't actually identify with that name as I still have not completely uncovered my real identity. All I know is what I can speculate on. My artificial and symbolic memories are still at the fore-front of my consciousness and those artificial memories are still my reality. So anyway, I remember Lesa Jewell wrote to me one time about her husband going to work in the computer department of the 7-Eleven Corporation. I believe that detail is symbolic of how Phoebe and I were arranged to be married and there was some kind of ceremony, or something, that happened in 1970, when she was 7 years old and I was 11 years old. I don't think I was very crazy about arranged marriages in general though and I had strong opinions about that. I have been thinking that I thought her mother was very attractive so I was probably anticipating that Phoebe was going to be very attractive to me, too. We were good friends until she turned 18 and then we started dating and I have been in love with her every day since then.

From 8/4/1961 to 7/16/1963 is: 711 days

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0866300/

Lauren Tom

Date of Birth: 4 August 1961

"Futurama" .... Amy Wong / ... (63 episodes, 1999-2003)