Thursday, November 10, 2011

I just awoke suddenly from a dream I now feel strongly compelled to note here.




In the dream, I became suddenly aware that a hippopotamus was walking through my apartment. Apparently, in the dream, that was no great surprise to see the particular animal in my small apartment, which was no place I recognized from any place before, but I cannot explain why I would expect to see that animal roaming around my apartment. I was highly frightened though because it was coming towards me and I was concerned that it would bite off one of my legs or arms if I let it get too close. Then I remember I was in another room in my apartment that was mostly darkened and I seemed to be on a stairwell that had only one flight of stairs and that flight of stairs went no where. What I did was I went up to the top of that flight of stairs and then I saw the hippo following me up the flight of stairs and then I heard it bellowing out and then as it got closer to me at the top of the stairs, which didn't take it very long to cover because it was huge, I jumped over the side of that stairwell and I seemed to float down easily to the floor below and I didn't even really notice any kind of impact with the floor and then I was running a short distance out of the room with the stairwell and that led me to the front door of my apartment which was on the wall that was to my left as I had been standing at the top of the stairwell. I opened the front door and then I used a container of six empty beer bottles, apparently because the trash container in my apartment was next to the door, to leave the door propped open because I hoped the hippo would go through that open door and out into the hallway so that I could then close my apartment door behind it. As I was standing there propping open the door, that was when I noticed a notification label was affixed to my apartment door that indicated that UPS had tried to deliver a package to my apartment and since it was affixed close to the bottom of the door I wondered how long that label had been there and I might not have been out of my apartment in a few days. I peeled off the label without reading it although I did recognize the colors and patterns from other UPS delivery notifications I had seen before. Then I was running towards the back of my apartment and away from the front door and I got back there I stopped and was looking to see if the hippo went out the front door but just as I got back there I glimpsed a shadow outside in the window in a room that I think was my bedroom and I was really spooked about that movement outside my window but the dream never did reveal any more detail about that observation. At that point I think I did see the hippo walk out the front door and into the hallway and I might have felt some relief but that feeling of relief might have become apparent during the fifteen minutes or so I worked to record this note since I jumped out of bed and started working on it a few minutes later.